Menu

Dyslexicadvantage.com

MisH

First, if this is not allowed, please delete!

Second, if you already know about this....YAY!!

Finally, I was referred by a friend to this website (http://dyslexicadvantage.com/) last night  - it was awesome! (well, honestly, I have not had too much time to look through the whole website, but the (free) live webinar was probably lifechanging!)

The webinar was by Dr. Doresa Jennings (who is herself dyslexic) and discusses how she utilizes STEM / STEAM for her (dyslexic) kids. If you have a chance to watch this, there is LOTS of great info in this one video!!!

It really is a great webinar - a bit overwhelming, perhaps, to try to (cost effectively) incorprate that type of environment into school. Some of the stuff she mentioned is FABULOUS .... but more expensive than we can afford :(

And, I will continue looking, but there just does not seem to be that many STEM related activities in our area!

For those of you who watch it and incorporate STEM as your homeschool (or those who already do so!!!), I would LOVE to hear your ideas / resources as to how you do it / what projects you use!!!!!

It really is a great webinar - a bit overwhelming, perhaps, to try to (cost effectively) incorprate that type of environment into school. Some of the stuff she mentioned is FABULOUS .... but more expensive than we can afford :(

And, I will continue looking, but there just does not seem to be that many STEM related activities in our area!

For those of you who watch it and incorporate STEM as your homeschool (or those who already do so!!!), I would LOVE to hear your ideas / resources as to how you do it / what projects you use!!!!!

Haven't gotten to watch yet, but I am in the same boat for solid STEM activities.  Listening in for responses from others.

Ok, I still haven't listened to it yet (busy weekend) but I've been through the slides. I'm lucky that we live in a major metro area and a tech hub, so I think there are more STEM activities here than other places, but...I know for us a key part has just been jumping in and being willing to lead what you want to see. If you are willing to coach Science Olympiad, or put together a FLL team, or teach GEMS units at co-op, others will want to come along and join you, and they will know someone who knows someone who can teach wing engineering, or you will meet someone in a lab at Engineering Days, or the museum has a Death Star Battle school, etc. It seems to me to be partly meeting others with the same goals and being willing to get it started yourself while gathering those others around you. The cost part is real though. None of it is easy, it is time consuming, and it is not cheap.