Menu

Road Trip Tricks, Please Share!

SJ.

We are most likely going on a 20 hr road trip. By we I mean me and the boys. This is last minute, not because of any problems, but because that's how I roll! Lol makes my dh crazy.

Any tips for making it as painless as possible?

Is it crazy to find lodging on the road and play it by ear how far we drive each day? What if I told you I don't have a smart phone ( not as easy to find a place) but I do have a gps unit?

Any ideas for making it inexpensive? We will be bringing a cooler but I am limited on time.

I'd like to love thurs morning, but I'd be ok with Friday.

Gps should be fine. I actually had better luck with my gps than my phone.

My last trip I had only a cooler. I bought a loaf of bread, deli meat, cheese and a rotating variety of fresh fruit and raw veggies. It worked out great.

I am a drive until I am tired then pull into a truck stop and sleep for a few hours then drive again type. This really helped my budget. I am not into paying big money for use of a bed for 6 hours.

We take audiobooks - some for us to listen to together and some (our library has small, digital devices called playaways) for individual listening with headphones. These are a lifesaver when everyone is grouchy! 

Drawing always keeps my kids busy for long hours too.I pack an art bag for each with a notebook, pencils, markers etc.

Have a fun trip!

I look for hotel options before I leave and take phone numbers with me. Anything with a pool for a quick swim worked for us and lots of audiobooks. Some people have the small dvd players and the kids watch movies. When the matchbox cars start getting thrown into the front seat it's time to stop. haha  Play some running games, red light, green light etc at the rest stops . Have fun!

I am an obsessive trip planner, so the idea of a last minute road trip gives me hives :D. But at least once a year we go on an 18-20 hour road trip to visit family. (We don't have a smartphone or GPS, so we rely on old a fashioned paper maps for Rand McNally and Google Maps.) My main thoughts would be to have several lodging options along the way, pack some sub sandwiches and fruit and lots of water, and have some fun music along. Music you can torture the kids with is a plus - polka, disco, Pat Boone, etc. *evil grin*