Menu

Australian use of Phonics - Ordinary Parents guide to reading

Guest Amyisham

Guest Amyisham

Hi All,

Apologies if this question has been asked multiple times but I could not find it in the first few pages.

How have Australian users found using the ordinary parent's guide to reading?  I like the book and flashcard method better than the reading eggs online resource but I am concerned the pronunciation might be confusing.  Also how have people found the grammar resources?

I was thinking of buying kinder in a box but also not sure about Horizon!

Australians would love your comments!

I just tell kiddos that its the American pronunciation when we come across something and then tell them the Australian version. So far we haven't come across anything that was a real issue. My kids understand about different accents cause their Dad is Canadian so they have never been confused.

I am South African and use OPGTR - it actually helped with spelling later as my DD knows that if she says certain words as an American then she will be able to spell them more easily (fast, past etc). My DDs know how we pronounce most words and it is automatic to switch to that when reading even if when sounding out they tend to use the more American sounds.

• 4 weeks later...

I am in.NZ and our accent is further from the US than Australia. The main problems are short a as we say dard farst notthrdarncefarste and fast. Usually they sound it out, look blank for a second then say 'oh ...'. If I think it will be too confusing I cover the word with my thumb.