Menu

First-time testing for a teen… What to expect and what's this gonna cost?!?!

Erin

We're looking at getting Buck tested.  Mostly I need a dyslexia DX (he wants to go back to public school next year (10th) or the year following but I won't let him go back without an IEP).  I also need to establish accommodations so that when he takes the ACT, he isn't hamstrung by his reading.  

But, because he's most likely at least moderately gifted, I want to make sure I find someone who is experienced in seeing the two together and how one compensates the other and skews both results.  

From what I'm finding, neuropsychologists do not test "normal" kids in this area(?), only kids who have been in car wrecks or had other traumatic injuries.  I've called two, both of whom were baffled by the idea that I would be looking at a NP for a normal kid.  

OK…  

So, highly-regarded psychologist instead, who specializes in gifted and 2E.  What should we be expecting to spend for this?  I got the preliminary paperwork today.  The initial consult/review of our questionnaires is expected to be about 2 hours at $180 an hour.   Working with the big cheese, instead of underlings, is double that.  

Is this about right for an initial consult?  How about the actual testing and then review and implementation of results? She said we can expect to spend at least 2 hours going over test findings, educational suggestions, etc.  

Has anyone else tested an older kid?  What did they think of the process?

You're probably going to be spending anywhere from $800-$2000 unless the evaluator is a big name, in which case it can go much higher.  Here's an example:  http://neurolearning.com/clinic.htm (scroll all the way down).

If your district is anything like ours, you will probably be able to get a 504 plan with the test results from the private psych; however, they'll want to do their own evaluation to determine eligibility for an IEP.  If his achievement test scores show that he is working at grade level (either 2nd or 16th percentile and above here--either way, it's low), he probably won't be eligible for an IEP.

My son was able to get extra time from the ACT people.  We had a recent report from an evaluation done specifically for that purpose.  With the copy of the report, I also sent a letter detailing the accommodations he received in our homeschool, at the public program for homeschoolers (8th grade--he was enrolled as a full time student specifically to establish a paper trail for accommodations), at the private school he attended for a year (10th/11th grade), and the local CC.  I included a copy of the 504 plan from 8th grade and the accommodations plan from the private school.

Good luck!  He will also be able to use the report to get accommodations in college.

He will also be able to use the report to get accommodations in college.

Precisely what I was thinking.  Most schools require a report that's less than 4 years old upon admission to consider for accommodations, so this would be perfect for that too. 

And yeah, 504!, that's what I meant…circumventing the school's process, anyway.   An IEP requires a student who is operating 1 or 2 grade levels below his peers.  Which, with a 2E, is obviously not what's going on.  :rolleyes:  That's why he's never gotten services previously, of course.

But a 504 needs to be reviewed annually also, doesn't it?  Does that mean I need to go back for the full process at the psych every year??