Menu

Thanksgiving Dinner on a wheat-free/sugar free diet

Evergreen State Sue

I need some ideas.  This will be our first Thanksgiving on a wheat-free (no stuffing, no gravy, no rolls, no pie crust) and sugar free (no mashed potatoes, no sweet potatoes, no cranberries, no pumpkin custard) diet.  I expect to have a few family members over for dinner who I'm sure are looking forward to the traditional meal.  I want to make our holiday special, but I'm afraid to have traditional wheat and sugar things because frankly I enjoy them too much. 

What can I make that will be yummy, special, and not turn my guests away.  Turkey and veggies don't seem special enough. 

Edited to add:  I forgot, one of our family members is now allergic to dairy - so add dairy free to the list!

I just got this (Kindle) for $1.99, the recipes look great! I have made the author's recipes from her blog, they are all wonderful.

http://www.amazon.com/Danielle-Walkers-Against-All-Grain-ebook/dp/B00GP34AWK/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1412558457&sr=1-2&keywords=thankful

No Kindle, but I put a hold at the library for her other books.  I see if I can find her blog.  This is encouraging!

You can start experimenting with wheat free gravy. My sweet dear friend is GF and makes a knock out Wheat free gravy. It is either rice flour or garbanzo flour she uses. According to her, the secret is to include little pieces of meat in the gravy. She could just serve me a bowl of that gravy.

My dh just bought some garbanazo flour.  I'll start with perfecting the gravy.  Thanks!

You can start experimenting with wheat free gravy. My sweet dear friend is GF and makes a knock out Wheat free gravy. It is either rice flour or garbanzo flour she uses. According to her, the secret is to include little pieces of meat in the gravy. She could just serve me a bowl of that gravy.

If you ask me, the sugar-free is harder than the wheat-free. 

My dh makes wonderful gravy with rice flour (it's a certain kind of rice flour--sweet white rice--and the trick is to mix it in slowly so it doesn't clump and so that it doesn't thicken too quickly.  

He also makes the turkey Julia Child style:  brined, then butterflied.  He puts the stuffing stuff in the roasting pan, then a rack over that, then the butterflied turkey on the rack.  It cooks a lot faster that way, and the juices flow onto the stuffing, which never touches the turkey, so it is gluten-free.  It takes about 2 hours to cook, not 5 or whatever.  

Side dishes:  Sauteed zuchinni.  Sweet potatoes with maple syrup (if you can have that--some sugar-free people can, some can't), Earthbalance (truly dairy-free margarine) and a little stevia for sweetening.  Roasted root vegetables (google for fabulous recipes, and do not be afraid of rutabagas and parsnips--they are yummy).  If you can eat eggs, a custard/flan/burnt cream dessert is wonderful.  If not...well dessert is a PITB for those of us with dairy and wheat allergies--sugar issues make it a real toughie.  Booze, I guess.  :0)  

Mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes taste great.

I've heard of this, and I think I tried it a long time ago, but it wasn't quite mashed potatoes.  Maybe I needed to mash until it is really smooth and put that gravy on it.  I'll give it another try. 

I'm so glad I'm getting suggestions now so I have time to practice before the big day!

Arrowroot or potato starch works for gravy, too. Really, for gravy you need the starch, not the gluten in the wheat. You can still have your pumpkin pie - either use an alternative sweetener or just a lot less sugar. It's just as tasty, imo with a fraction of the usualy sweetener if not better. For crust, you can either do a nut crust or there was one I used a few years ago that had buckwheat flour mixed in that then migrated down during baking and made a crust.

If you ask me, the sugar-free is harder than the wheat-free. 

My dh makes wonderful gravy with rice flour (it's a certain kind of rice flour--sweet white rice--and the trick is to mix it in slowly so it doesn't clump and so that it doesn't thicken too quickly.  

He also makes the turkey Julia Child style:  brined, then butterflied.  He puts the stuffing stuff in the roasting pan, then a rack over that, then the butterflied turkey on the rack.  It cooks a lot faster that way, and the juices flow onto the stuffing, which never touches the turkey, so it is gluten-free.  It takes about 2 hours to cook, not 5 or whatever.  

Side dishes:  Sauteed zuchinni.  Sweet potatoes with maple syrup (if you can have that--some sugar-free people can, some can't), Earthbalance (truly dairy-free margarine) and a little stevia for sweetening.  Roasted root vegetables (google for fabulous recipes, and do not be afraid of rutabagas and parsnips--they are yummy).  If you can eat eggs, a custard/flan/burnt cream dessert is wonderful.  If not...well dessert is a PITB for those of us with dairy and wheat allergies--sugar issues make it a real toughie.  Booze, I guess.  :0)  

Yes, going sugar free is tough.  We're still experimenting, but sugar is sugar, not matter if you call it syrup.  Stevia or Xylitol may be ok, but we're still new at how much is enough. 

Thanks for your suggestions.  Stuffing is my absolute favorite.  I don't think I can even make it as it would be too tempting. 

Mmmm . . . how much sugar in booze?  We're not much into drinking around here.  I used to say food was my only vice.  Now I have to be good about that!

Arrowroot or potato starch works for gravy, too. Really, for gravy you need the starch, not the gluten in the wheat. You can still have your pumpkin pie - either use an alternative sweetener or just a lot less sugar. It's just as tasty, imo with a fraction of the usualy sweetener if not better. For crust, you can either do a nut crust or there was one I used a few years ago that had buckwheat flour mixed in that then migrated down during baking and made a crust.

Glad I have options for the gravy.  We enjoy pumpkin pie without the crust, so I guess it's a matter of adjusting the sugar.  Thanks!

Jean, potatoes are so starchy that they essentially ACT as sugar.  When I have had to go sugar-free, it has included going off potatoes, grapes, bananas, any dried fruit, and one other thing I can't remember right at the moment...but you wouldn't think of it as "sugar".

Can I ask why mashed potatoes would be out on a sugar free diet?  I have never added sugar to mashed potatoes.  

Potatoes turn into sugar in the body - same with the white things like bread and rice.  That's probably not a very scientific explanation, but generally that is what the doctor says and what I've read. 

I know people who send all the leftover food home with guests. They plan ahead with containers and bags. Anything not taken away gets thrown out immediately.

Eta: you could also experiment with single serving portions: twice baked mash, little pumpkin tarts etc. While also adding in a ton of veg that your family can have.

Is the following too much fruit sugar?:

I make fresh cranberries with apple, pear, cinnamon and a little orange juice concentrate...it all gets cooked together.

happy duck, your avitar made me smile :001_smile: !

I know the concentrated orange juice would be too much.  It sure sounds delicious though.

Eta:  Yes, I love to bless my guests with leftover food (as long as I'm not counting on it for my family).  I could probably pick up a pie for the guests.  I just don't want to be making a lot of food a few of us shouldn't  have.  I used to make 17 cups of stuffing - enough for a big family meal and for a few meals afterwards.

No Kindle, but I put a hold at the library for her other books.  I see if I can find her blog.  This is encouraging!

You don't need a Kindle, I don't have one. There is a Kindle app you can download to your computer and then use your computer as the Kindle.

Her website/blog is at againstallgrain.com

I know you're looking for ideas, but honestly I think you should consider providing something you don't eat yourself. It's much easier than jumping through all these hoops. We don't eat some of the things I set out and it's fine. I just ignore it and then pack it up to send home with whoever can eat it so I'm not tempted.

And I wouldn't do modifications for everyone for every dish. For example, you might make veggies with cheese on top and just pull some out for the non-dairy person before adding the cheese for everyone else.

That said:

Turkey

Big platter of roasted vegetables

Big bowl of salad

Spiced nuts made without sugar and with oil instead of butter

Sugar-free Jello-type pudding?

Check paleo recipes.

I need some ideas.  This will be our first Thanksgiving on a wheat-free (no stuffing, no gravy, no rolls, no pie crust) and sugar free (no mashed potatoes, no sweet potatoes, no cranberries, no pumpkin custard) diet.  I expect to have a few family members over for dinner who I'm sure are looking forward to the traditional meal.  I want to make our holiday special, but I'm afraid to have traditional wheat and sugar things because frankly I enjoy them too much. 

What can I make that will be yummy, special, and not turn my guests away.  Turkey and veggies don't seem special enough. 

Edited to add:  I forgot, one of our family members is now allergic to dairy - so add dairy free to the list!

Um...wheat, dairy, and sugar free doesn't mean "sweet potato free."

First of all, turkey is turkey.

Second: you can make a GF cornbread stuffing. Google "gluten free sugar free cornbread stuffing" and pick a recipe.

Third: gluten free gravy is a thing.

Fourth: no, you can't do a traditional sweet potato casserole with marshmallows on top. But the biggest sweet potato hit I've had ever consisted of sweet potatoes diced and covered in unsweetened applesauce and baked. Super simple, very tasty, no added sugar.

Fifth: you can find splenda-sweetened jellied cranberry. Or, if you like doing things from scratch, make your own cranberry sauce w/o sugar. Fruit juice is a good sweeter there (apple juice works well). If you can find no-sugar-added dried cranberries, those can be incorporated into stuffing, very yummy.

For dessert: is EVERYONE sugar-free? Because there's nothing wrong with making a dessert and the one person who can't have sugar just skips it. I've done GF/dairy free (Paleo!) pumpkin pie and had it come out pretty well, but it did have sugar in it.

The critical ingredients for custard are eggs, sugar, and whatever flavors it. Google paleo pumpkin pie/custard recipes.

So: you can make the main meal dairy/wheat/sugar free pretty easily. Have a dessert that everyone but the sugar-free person can eat, or make it with artificial sweetener (baking splenda is not something it's a good idea to eat all the time, but a very occasional dessert? that's what it's good for).

Is there a way to make hollandaise sauce without butter? I think I remember seeing a recipe with egg yolks, coconut oil (or coconut cream?), and lemon juice. Anyway, asparagus or broccoli can be made really special with a bit of hollandaise.

Also, I was at a dinner once and they served lime wedges with the steamed broccoli - so simple but delicious!

Guests usually ask what they can bring so if they want to bring something you're not eating, that's ok too.   If you're going to embrace this way of eating, you're going to deal with temptations all the time- like every time you eat out or attend a party. So it's a very special day for everyone and it's probably going to have to be one of those times where if guests MUST have a favorite dish, you just put it at the other end of the table and do your best to ignore it.  You might find that by Thanksgiving you're able to create a meal that you will love without being too tempted by old favorites. 

I think the OP was talking about avoiding natural sugars as well and maybe found plain sweet potatoes to contain too much. And that would out rule any kind of applesauce I guess, too.

Sweet potatoes (but not white potatoes) have been allowed on most low-carb/low-sugar diets I've been on after Phase 1.  Just don't make the casserole.  Or even add applesauce.  Just plain ol' sweet potatoes taste fine with nothing at all - especially if your palate is used to less sugar.  I sometimes microwave them in their skins, peel and eat, just like that.

I'll agree with pumpkin custard and just use stevia instead of sugar.  Stevia in baked goods does taste better if you just use a twinge of something actually sugary - would a tablespoon or two (instead of a cup or two) of maple syrup or molasses in a whole custard be too much?

Turnips have an extremely low glycemic index.  (Rutabagas are much higher - they're not the same thing, even though they look kinda similar).

We always make homemade cranberry-orange relish instead of the canned sauce.  Cranberries themselves are low in sugar, and are oranges completely out?  The recipe uses sugar, but you could easily substitute stevia.

I'm reading ALL your suggestions, and I thank you so much. 

You know, I'm grieving my old way of eating.  It's been less than a month that we've had to adjust our eating habits.  We are to cut out or drastically reduce all sugars, so yes sweet potatoes should be avoided.  Avoiding dairy is a new thing too, and until someone mentioned butter, I wasn't even thinking that was dairy because the problem has been milk products like cottage cheese, cheese, yogurt, and ice cream.  On a daily basis we're doing ok, but then I start looking ahead at my favorite holidays that involve food and I'm grieving things can't be the same.  I am the go-to house for special meals, and my only family members that will come are physically and financially unable to provide the extras we can't have.   I'm at that stage of life where both sets of parents are gone, one sibling has passed, and other siblings are not in the area. When I'm down to so few family members, I want to make it special and inviting.  Maybe I'll have a cheat day as one person suggested, or maybe I'll try to just avoid the temptations as another said.  Thanksgiving isn't just one day, it's all the leftovers for several days that I enjoy too.  I'll try out some new recipes, make a few favorites, and stock up on take home bags. 

I'm thinking-

Turkey and ham (with pineapple juice, no sugar)

Mashed cauliflower

Green beans or maybe brussel sprouts or asparagus

Roasted carrots

Salad

For dessert, I'd make Paleo pumpkin ice cream-bananas, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice (I make my own blend) and a bit of maple syrup. We make banana ice cream a couple times a week for the kids-peel and freeze several bananas, and throw them into your processor. We've added vanilla extract, or cocoa powder, or strawberries to mix it up, but just banans is good as well. It makes a really creamy ice cream. I suppose you could omit the maple syrup from the pumpkin ice cream if you needed to. I made enough for our family of five to have some, and only used 1/3 cup of syrup, so per serving, it was a minimal amount. Pie crust can be made with almond flour, and the pie can be just fruit. Or halved pears, peaches, or apples, roasted with almond slivers on top.

I think you can use arrowroot flour to thicken sauces/gravies, but I haven't tried it yet.

Make small quantities of what you are tempted by so that leftovers won't be a problem. Are you sure plain sweet potatoes are a no-go? I realize they have "sweet" in their name, but they really aren't bad. Plain sweet potatoes with cinnamon could be an excellent choice. My dh eats grain-free and for a while he ate sugar-free too. I agree that sugar-free is much harder than wheat-free.

I agree about not trying to change every dish for everyone. Just make sure there is a variety of "safe" foods included. My dh never expects to be able to eat everything at any meal he attends; nor does he expect to never provide foods he won't eat for others. He knows his diet is outside the norm.

We are new to this way of eating as well. It's been two weeks tomorrow. It's getting easier. I will still allow myself a piece of fruit per day, and I did eat half a cup of sweet potatoes, so you are more strict with it than we are right now. I wonder if allowing yourself a fruit dessert, or something sweetened with fruit would be ok just this one day?

Is there a way to make hollandaise sauce without butter? I think I remember seeing a recipe with egg yolks, coconut oil (or coconut cream?), and lemon juice. Anyway, asparagus or broccoli can be made really special with a bit of hollandaise.

Also, I was at a dinner once and they served lime wedges with the steamed broccoli - so simple but delicious!

http://againstallgrain.com/2012/02/21/paleo-coconut-oil-hollandaise-sauce/

I just got this (Kindle) for $1.99, the recipes look great! I have made the author's recipes from her blog, they are all wonderful.

http://www.amazon.com/Danielle-Walkers-Against-All-Grain-ebook/dp/B00GP34AWK/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1412558457&sr=1-2&keywords=thankful

I made most of the things in this book last year. It was AMAZING. Absolutly amazing. Best Thanksgiving meal I've ever had.

You know, I'm grieving my old way of eating.  It's been less than a month that we've had to adjust our eating habits.

I've been through this too. It was really difficult. I'm also the go-to place for Thanksgiving and I went ahead and made small cheats for a few things and had people take the cheat food home. I didn't go nuts, but a tablespoon of honey in a pie would have been okay for me for a day. I knew the people around me were supportive, especially because my son was having dietary problems, but  still felt they had expectations and it was important for me to meet them partway.

Now I do serve things I don't eat myself, things which are not even semi-cheats but total cheats. It's been a long trip, though.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Dh smokes our turkey on the grill which always makes it a special treat. A wonderful green salad is one of my favorites for the day also. I like the idea of having some traditional choices for the guests who don't need the special diet. Store-bought pumpkin pie is as good as homemade, and decent rolls are easy to buy too. Even if you decide to have a cheat day, I would send the leftovers of the forbidden foods home with other people. Can you do olives and nuts? Those are fun and festive.

I haven't read all the replies so maybe someone has mentioned this already: do a non-traditional dinner. A friend of mine sometimes does salmon with sides. When we were in FL a couple weeks ago the man at the fish counter mentioned they get very busy around Thanksgiving with people who come to the coast for a non-traditional--think seafood--Thanksgiving.

My family would actually prefer a non-traditional dinner as dh and I are the only ones who like turkey. For your situation I'd do grilled salmon, sauteed asparagus and salad. If you want more sides you could add some kind of summer squash dish (if you can find zucchini in fall) or some roasted veggies--either a root veggie combo or bellpeppers/onions. Or maybe veggie kabobs with onion, bellpepper, zucchini, mushrooms. If you can have rice, a homemade rice pilaf would round it all out.

I made most of the things in this book last year. It was AMAZING. Absolutly amazing. Best Thanksgiving meal I've ever had.

Thanks for posting. I have already caught it for saying there are a few favorites we can't have, 3 of us are dairy free, 2 are wheat/some grains free. This will be our first Thanksgiving eating this way. And no, I will not cook two different ways....  I do always cook a cut down version since its just us four. Turkey, cranberry sauce, gravy (plan on using arrowroot starch), green beans w/mushrooms/leeks/panchetta (no change to this), stuffing (thinking about experimenting with gluten free quick bread to use), and sweet potato casserole (which has flour and tons of butter, I may cut up the sweet potatoes, season with cinnamon and coat with coconut oil, and serve them kind of crunchy). For dessert I'm thinking apple cobbler and pumpkin pie made with coconut milk. The Kindle book also has new things to try.

OP don't cheat.... I ate oats at the end of last week, and am still paying for it....  After you are off gluten/grains for awhile, the reaction is much more. I also paid eating only a small sliver of a birthday cake.

I haven't read all the replies so maybe someone has mentioned this already: do a non-traditional dinner. A friend of mine sometimes does salmon with sides. When we were in FL a couple weeks ago the man at the fish counter mentioned they get very busy around Thanksgiving with people who come to the coast for a non-traditional--think seafood--Thanksgiving.

My family would actually prefer a non-traditional dinner as dh and I are the only ones who like turkey. For your situation I'd do grilled salmon, sauteed asparagus and salad. If you want more sides you could add some kind of summer squash dish (if you can find zucchini in fall) or some roasted veggies--either a root veggie combo or bellpeppers/onions. Or maybe veggie kabobs with onion, bellpepper, zucchini, mushrooms. If you can have rice, a homemade rice pilaf would round it all out.

This is a good idea I might use for Christmas.  A side note:  Anytime I ask my kids what they want for our special dinner they will say, "Pizza!"  (sigh)

You know, I'm grieving my old way of eating. It's been less than a month that we've had to adjust our eating habits. We are to cut out or drastically reduce all sugars, so yes sweet potatoes should be avoided. Avoiding dairy is a new thing too, and until someone mentioned butter, I wasn't even thinking that was dairy because the problem has been milk products like cottage cheese, cheese, yogurt, and ice cream. On a daily basis we're doing ok, but then I start looking ahead at my favorite holidays that involve food and I'm grieving things can't be the same. I am the go-to house for special meals, and my only family members that will come are physically and financially unable to provide the extras we can't have. I'm at that stage of life where both sets of parents are gone, one sibling has passed, and other siblings are not in the area. When I'm down to so few family members, I want to make it special and inviting. Maybe I'll have a cheat day as one person suggested, or maybe I'll try to just avoid the temptations as another said. Thanksgiving isn't just one day, it's all the leftovers for several days that I enjoy too. I'll try out some new recipes, make a few favorites, and stock up on take home bags.

What is the reason for eliminating dairy? If it's lactose intolerance, then butter is probably fine (and hard cheese, and possibly yogurt).

Sweet potatoes are more starchy than sugary. And still have a fair bit of fiber to them.

This is a good idea I might use for Christmas.  A side note:  Anytime I ask my kids what they want for our special dinner they will say, "Pizza!"  (sigh)

Mine used to do that too. Actually for several years we did have frozen pizza for Thanksgiving because dh always had to work that day. So to them, Thanksgiving = pizza. :laugh:

Now that they're older they'd rather I cooked up salmon or steak. No turkey here.

Instead of stuffing, could you do a wild rice casserole?  I think I've even seen wild rice stuffing recipes that contain sausage (they may have had some bread mixed with though).

I don't have any good suggestions but if at all possible I would suggest trying to have some dessert available for guests.  I still lament the first time I ended up at a in-law relative for a holiday meal.  I have a huge sweet tooth and dessert is what I always look forward to for any holiday meal.  All the people were excitingly talking about dessert as it was being prepped and so I was thinking it was going to be really good.  I was extremely dismayed to be served layered jello with a splotch of cool whip.  My family serves jello as a side dish with the meal (of which I always abstain since I don't like jello).  There is nothing special about jello and it's not a dessert in my world.  Anytime I had to return to that particular place for a meal, I would sneak some chocolate in purse because I really want something sweet for dessert and they ALWAYS served jello.  If your guests are not used to your new way of eating, try to provide something for them even if you don't have any.

I've heard of this, and I think I tried it a long time ago, but it wasn't quite mashed potatoes.  Maybe I needed to mash until it is really smooth and put that gravy on it.  I'll give it another try. 

I'm so glad I'm getting suggestions now so I have time to practice before the big day!

yes, the mashed cauliflower is good.... if you add garlic, it tastes a lot like garlic mashed potatoes.  i also use chicken broth to mash with, and that adds another layer of flavour.  (don't use the water you cooked the cauliflower in or it will taste like cauliflower!  ;).  i would put a bowl of mashed potatoes and a bowl of mashed garlic cauliflower on the table, in different bowls ;).

Yes, going sugar free is tough.  We're still experimenting, but sugar is sugar, not matter if you call it syrup.  Stevia or Xylitol may be ok, but we're still new at how much is enough. 

Thanks for your suggestions.  Stuffing is my absolute favorite.  I don't think I can even make it as it would be too tempting. 

Mmmm . . . how much sugar in booze?  We're not much into drinking around here.  I used to say food was my only vice.  Now I have to be good about that!

tons of sugar in booze.  simply tons.

and if you are to cut out or drastically reduce sugar, i think that gives you a tiny bit of wiggle room.  not enough for sweet desserts, but certainly enough for a dish like this one: 

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/oven-roasted-sweet-potatoes-onions-10000000522357/

We are to cut out or drastically reduce all sugars, so yes sweet potatoes should be avoided. 

i think if you add something to the meal, then folks will feel less deprived.  eg.  add a soup course at the beginning.  my dsil makes a killer chestnut soup to start holiday dinners.  or, if you add a pumpkin soup served in little pumpkins, that would be a spectacular start to a meal (and a clue that things will be a little different ;).  you could add a cheese plate to the desserts for you and anyone else to have, too.  it has always helped me to focus on adding rather than what i can't have!

if its glycemic index you are worried about, then different kinds of potatoes are different.  and if they are eaten with protein, it gets better.  i do a russet potato/turnip mash with chicken broth and garlic that no one notices is NOT mashed potatoes only.  when i eat holiday dinners, i make them and then skip them.... i like the stuffing better, and people react very differently to me saying "its so i can have double stuffing" than they do to the medical explanations ;).  and cornbread stuffing is very, very good!  i add chestnuts, celery and onions to it.  

hope that all helps!

ann

i forgot - 

this is how i am going to start our dinner this year: its raw veggies arranged to look like a turkey!

http://www.eatingwithfoodallergies.com/turkeyveggieplatter.html

it is cute and tasty and fun!

hth,

ann

ps.  and it may be time to begin to shift the "special" focus from food a bit.... i remember reading here about folks who have a thanksgiving table cloth and everyone wrote on it each year.  in our house, we have a bowl, and wooden leaves and acorns that i put at each person's place.  before dinner, we pass the bowl and as we place our acorn or wooden leave in the bowl we say three things we are thankful for.  it would work with cut out paper leaves or real leaves/acorns, too.

We are dairy free and gluten free, but not sugar free. I once went sugar free for a few months, and I just subbed honey and/or maple syrup  for the sugar when making sweets.

I'm not sure if you're eliminating refined sugar or sugar in all forms though.

We really like this gluten free crustless pumpkin pie: blogfatfreevegan.com/2006/10/and-answer-is.html

It does have sugar, but you might be able to sub maple syrup and/or honey. I think it's usually less honey or syrup, and sometimes I had to add baking soda to the recipe and also use a lower heat setting.

We also make cornbread stuffing at our house. My mom makes sweet potatoes with no sugar. Usually she adds apples, craisins and orange juice I think.

I didn't read the whole thread, but please don't deprive your guests of starchy comfort items like mashed potatoes.

Seriously, you'll never live down the Thanksgiving of the terrible, horrible, no good very bad food.

Thanksgiving is one day.  Either give yourself some grace (and possibly fast the next day), or send all the leftovers home with guests and throw whatever's left in the trash with a ton of soap or salt on top so you know none of it is an option, or just make yourself some alternatives like mashed cauliflower and eat that instead.

Some low carb options my family loves- cauliflower seafood "risotto" and pies made with a pecan crust instead of a regular one (about 1 1/2 cups of pecans, frozen first, a dash of cinnamon and vanilla, a tablespoon of splenda pulsed in the food processor until crumb consistency, then mixed with half a cup of melted butter and pressed into a pie crust).  We like it best with two packages of chocolate sugar-free pudding mixed with heavy cream and a 1/4 cup of whole milk instead of regular milk, with whipped cream and dark chocolate shavings on top- Faux French Silk.