Menu

Anyone ever done a chemical peel?

Alicia64

I did one. Not a dermatologist one like those they give that cause you to peel for two weeks and you end up with basically new skin, but a salon/spa one. It was, if memory serves, grapefruit acid or lactic acid.

My face tingled, stung just a little while processing which was about 2 minutes. There was exfoliation before hand and deep moisturizing afterward along with hot, moist towels (that was a delicious experience and made me sleepy), plus neck, shoulder, face, and hand massage.

My face was reddish...like I had been mildly sunburned. This lasted less than a week although it was definitely close to a week, maybe five or six days. I peeled just a little, it wasn't bad. I was told not to wear make-up for five days.

My skin is softer, absolutely, noticeably softer, and a couple of very sensitive spots that had been quite ruddy lightened up considerably. However, the "liver spots" didn't lighten at all. I have considered doing it again.

I paid $35.00 for the basic facial and another $30.00 for the peel. I was there about an hour since she did the regular exfoliation first, then the peel, followed by the moisturizer, and finally the mini massages. I may have dozed during the hand massage, LOL!

I do a 30% glycolic peel at home every three weeks.

I buy it here:

http://www.skinobsession.com/

It is dead easy and I like it a lot. I've been doing it for years.  I paid about 15$ for a bottle of 30% glycolic acid that has lasted me months and months. I started with 20% and then moved up to 30%. I've been told not to go above 40% over the neck, so I am just hanging out at 30% and fine with that.

Now, if you are thinking of a 'deep peel' then I can't help you. I don't think I would ever be willing to subject myself to one of those. The 30% stings a bit, sort of itches, but it gets the job done and is over in 7 mins or so.

I buy it here:

It is dead easy and I like it a lot. I've been doing it for years. I paid about 15$ for a bottle of 30% glycolic acid that has lasted me months and months. I started with 20% and then moved up to 30%. I've been told not to go above 40% over the neck, so I am just hanging out at 30% and fine with that.

Now, if you are thinking of a 'deep peel' then I can't help you. I don't think I would ever be willing to subject myself to one of those. The 30% stings a bit, sort of itches, but it gets the job done and is over in 7 mins or so.

Oh. I LOVE YOU! I'm going to order.

Did you do one bottle of the 20% and then move up to the 30%?

Did you have any brownish age spots? See any difference in those?

It says for the 20% that you need to do a full treatment 8-10 peels to see best results. Was it your experience that your skin kept improving?

I bought a 20% and started with 2 mins, then moved up to 3 mins, then 4, then 5, 6, 7, etc. With 20% you can do every 2 weeks. I think I topped out at 10 mins. The bottle lasted forever, lol.

When I was done with the 20% I moved up to 30%.  Again, I started with 2 then three etc, etc as before. With 30% you can use it every three weeks.  Like I said I don't really feel the need to go beyond 30% any time soon. I am in my 40s and I am saving the 40% for my 50s, lol.

Yes, I see a reduction in brown spots, but I also use a 50spf skin lotion every. single. day. all. year.  I don't really have any brown spots and my skin is very fair and evenly toned. Well, I do have some very faint freckles that you can see under a very bright light, but they are the same freckles I have had since I was a kid. In my early 40s I started getting some new ones (age spots) and those are now gone. I am sure if I wore makeup my skin would look totally freckle free. But I bet most people would say I don't have any even without makeup. I am a red head, and we tend to have a few freckles, lol.

Does my skin keep improving?  Well, I think it looks pretty good. I am almost 50 and found that most people think I am in my 30s. But, to be honest, I think that is mostly due to constant use of sunscreen. I have been using a high SPF on my face, neck, chest and hands for decades. I do the peel until a bottle is gone and then I take some time off until I feel like doing it again. I might have taken a year off last time. I saw such a huge improvement with my first peel after stopping for a while that I am not going to be stopping any time soon. Of course, it could just be that I am that much older, lol.

doing a peel is very easy. You wash your face, use a cotton ball and put the peel on and then set a timer. To get it off, I use my tub. I like a lot of water and don't want to make a mess at the sink. You need a cup of baking soda to neutralize the acid. I just kneel down next to the tub, run cool water and then pat baking soda all over my face and splash water. I do a little of both a few times until it feels like my face is clean. It takes just a few mins. You don't even need huge amount of baking soda. It neutralizes quickly.

I think that the company I bought the peel from said to use something like nail polish remover to clean the skin before using the peel. DO NOT EVER DO THAT. I almost sent back the product when I read that. That is very irresponsible of them, and it makes me think they are crazy. Don't ever ever put that on your face, ok? You just need to wash it.

I buy it here:

It is dead easy and I like it a lot. I've been doing it for years.  I paid about 15$ for a bottle of 30% glycolic acid that has lasted me months and months. I started with 20% and then moved up to 30%. I've been told not to go above 40% over the neck, so I am just hanging out at 30% and fine with that.

Okay, I love you too. I was thinking of the deep peel at a dermo office, but your idea is less scary!!

Alley

I bought a 20% and started with 2 mins, then moved up to 3 mins, then 4, then 5, 6, 7, etc. With 20% you can do every 2 weeks. I think I topped out at 10 mins. The bottle lasted forever, lol.

When I was done with the 20% I moved up to 30%.  Again, I started with 2 then three etc, etc as before. With 30% you can use it every three weeks.  Like I said I don't really feel the need to go beyond 30% any time soon. I am in my 40s and I am saving the 40% for my 50s, lol.

Yes, I see a reduction in brown spots, but I also use a 50spf skin lotion every. single. day. all. year.  I don't really have any brown spots and my skin is very fair and evenly toned. Well, I do have some very faint freckles that you can see under a very bright light, but they are the same freckles I have had since I was a kid. In my early 40s I started getting some new ones (age spots) and those are now gone. I am sure if I wore makeup my skin would look totally freckle free. But I bet most people would say I don't have any even without makeup. I am a red head, and we tend to have a few freckles, lol.

Does my skin keep improving?  Well, I think it looks pretty good. I am almost 50 and found that most people think I am in my 30s. But, to be honest, I think that is mostly due to constant use of sunscreen. I have been using a high SPF on my face, neck, chest and hands for decades. I do the peel until a bottle is gone and then I take some time off until I feel like doing it again. I might have taken a year off last time. I saw such a huge improvement with my first peel after stopping for a while that I am not going to be stopping any time soon. Of course, it could just be that I am that much older, lol.

doing a peel is very easy. You wash your face, use a cotton ball and put the peel on and then set a timer. To get it off, I use my tub. I like a lot of water and don't want to make a mess at the sink. You need a cup of baking soda to neutralize the acid. I just kneel down next to the tub, run cool water and then pat baking soda all over my face and splash water. I do a little of both a few times until it feels like my face is clean. It takes just a few mins. You don't even need huge amount of baking soda. It neutralizes quickly.

I think that the company I bought the peel from said to use something like nail polish remover to clean the skin before using the peel. DO NOT EVER DO THAT. I almost sent back the product when I read that. That is very irresponsible of them, and it makes me think they are crazy. Don't ever ever put that on your face, ok? You just need to wash it.

Thanks!

I use an spf30 lotion every morning on my face and then makeup with sunscreen over that.  I've been doing that for about 20 years (I'm 42) but after a childhood and teen years in the sun, well...

Nail polish remover? That is crazy.

What kind of daily moisturizer do you use with SPF 50? I am fair and a redhead and have used one with SPF 30 for a decade or so, but have never seen one with SPF 50....without it actually being pore clogging sunscreen.

I was wondering that too. The SPF 50 even for faces only is very heavy.

Can a chemical peel be used on arms? I have fair skin and unfortunately did not take good care of my skin in my teens and 20's. I have had several burns The skin on my forearms looks older than the skin on my face. Is it too late to help? I'm in my late 40's.

http://www.amazon.com/CeraVe-Moisturizing-Facial-Lotion-Ounce/dp/B003WN1ELQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1412313514&sr=8-2&keywords=Cerave+50+spf

http://www.amazon.com/Neutrogena-Healthy-Defense-Moisturizer-Helioplex/dp/B003156NH0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412313562&sr=8-1&keywords=Neutrogena+50+spf

http://www.amazon.com/Cetaphil-Daily-Facial-Moisturizer-Sunscreen/dp/B00E4MRLI4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412313643&sr=8-1&keywords=moisturizer+50+spf

http://www.amazon.com/Olay-Regenerist-Regenerating-Sunscreen-Spectrum/dp/B0028K3J7Q/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1412313664&sr=8-6&keywords=moisturizer+50+spf

These are all moisturizers with an SPF of 50, not sunscreens. I use a fair amount, the face needs 1 tsp, and I reapply if I am going out in the late afternoon.

I've never found it difficult to find. I can get all of these in my local grocery store. I have used them all at one time or another. Right now I am  using CeraVe, but I just finished with the Cetaphil. Neutrogena makes a few, but I only linked to one. I know I have used others by them. I think Olay makes more than one as well.

Like everyone here, I love you also, but I think you already knew that. At least I hope you did :D. You always give the absolute best advice and tips. I crave your tips, Seriously. 

Okay: one question - if I remember correctly, you once mentioned that you use Paula's Choice BHA. Is that correct or am I mixing you up with someone else? I alternate BHA and Retin-A at nights.

Every few mornings, I exfoliate with any of the following: the Clarisonic; a little baking soda & water (my skin can handle it); a gentle scrub; or the Exfolia Cloth (amazon). 

1. I'm wondering if the BHA and the glycolic peel would create a problem together and lead to sensitivity. My skin is not that sensitive. 

2. While you're here (and I hopefully can ask you this - sorry to hijack), what are your thoughts on facial exercises? I'd always heard that they can exacerbate and even cause wrinkles. Others on the VF forum seem to rave about them. I'm concerned about a double chin. Paula Begoun is against facial exercises also. 

3. Where do you get all your info from? I want to learn also!  :grouphug:

Okay, I love you too. I was thinking of the deep peel at a dermo office, but your idea is less scary!!

Alley

And I love you also for starting this thread! :)

Can a chemical peel be used on arms? I have fair skin and unfortunately did not take good care of my skin in my teens and 20's. I have had several burns The skin on my forearms looks older than the skin on my face. Is it too late to help? I'm in my late 40's.

I am coming back to update on my experience with the glycolic acid peel redsquirrel suggested.  I ordered both the 20% and 30% and have done the 20% on my face and, based on the question above, upper chest--the part that shows when I wear a v-neck blouse.  My skin in both areas definitely feels smoother, and I plan to repeat in a couple of weeks.  My face stung like the dickens for a couple of minutes, but knowing it was only for three minutes made it completely bearable.  Also, the relief from the baking soda was so blissful that it was worth the discomfort.  I just spread baking soda on with my hands and then hopped into the shower for the rinse.  That helped with the mess as well--no worry about getting water all over my bathroom.

I ordered from the site redsquirrel suggested, and the products shipped that day and arrived in a couple of days.  It was almost as good as Amazon.  My directions did not suggest putting acetone on your skin--it suggested alcohol, but I didn't actually use anything.  I had not had make-up or sunscreen or moisturizer on in several days, so my skin was clean.

I plan to use the 20% on my skin for several treatments, but I may go ahead and upgrade to the 30% on my chest next time; my chest and neck stung a lot less than my face.

I do not have sensitive skin at all, so I skipped the patch test, but if you have sensitive skin, starting with your chest (or forearms or hands) might be a good way to ease into it.

Also, the relief from the baking soda was so blissful that it was worth the discomfort.  I just spread baking soda on with my hands and then hopped into the shower for the rinse.  That helped with the mess as well--no worry about getting water all over my bathroom.

OK, to clarify, you put dry baking soda on your hands and then...?  Do you make a paste or just wet your face and then slap on the baking soda?  Sorry, I'm not getting it!  LOL

OK, to clarify, you put dry baking soda on your hands and then...?  Do you make a paste or just wet your face and then slap on the baking soda?  Sorry, I'm not getting it!  LOL

II get my face wet and then pretty much do slap the baking soda on there, lol. Well, not slap... but I do get it on my wet face and rub it around a bit and then rinse..then more baking soda and then rinse. I am careful to pat the baking soda on, not rub it like I would for a scrub. I do use baking soda on my face as a mild scrub almost every day. I just mix it with my face cleanser and make small gentle circles and then rinse well. I just don't do that right after a peel.

I don't rinse it off in the shower only because I like to use cool water on my face. I don't want it to be as warm as I would need for a shower. I have done it in the shower but my face was beet red when I was done! I decided the water was too warm after the peel and switched to using cooler water, but I sort of hang over the side of the tub to contain the splashing water, lol.  It's very glamorous sweetie darling.

Yes, I had a neighbor who was a licensed cosmetologist or whatever it is when you can legally do the really good stuff, who offered to sell those services at a party at my house. I had a party, we had wine and food and it was a ton a fun. I went first and my crazy insensitive, cannot be burned skin did fine. All it did was make my face a little flushed looking and extremely soft. As the evening wore on and we drank a few glasses of wine, everyone's skin became a little more sensitive and the chemical stuff started burning those who went last. My husband had scabs. His skin is very, very sensitive, though. There was no permanent damage and we all learned not to drink and let anyone put harsh chemicals on our faces.  :laugh: However, the cosmetologist left as the evening wore on and evidently, we colored someone's hair. I need to add that NONE of us do that professionally and she did not look good. Someone, evidently ran home and got the box of color from under their bathroom sink? Okay, lesson of this story is do not drink and do hair or skin!

Bumping. Not sure if anyone saw my questions :). Maybe I should start a new thread.

Okay: one question - if I remember correctly, you once mentioned that you use Paula's Choice BHA. Is that correct or am I mixing you up with someone else? I alternate BHA and Retin-A at nights.

Every few mornings, I exfoliate with any of the following: the Clarisonic; a little baking soda & water (my skin can handle it); a gentle scrub; or the Exfolia Cloth (amazon). 

1. I'm wondering if the BHA and the glycolic peel would create a problem together and lead to sensitivity. My skin is not that sensitive. 

2. While you're here (and I hopefully can ask you this - sorry to hijack), what are your thoughts on facial exercises? I'd always heard that they can exacerbate and even cause wrinkles. Others on the VF forum seem to rave about them. I'm concerned about a double chin. Paula Begoun is against facial exercises also. 

Back when we had $$ and I stayed at home - sure.

I started with a basic chemical peel at the local day spa.  Then went to a local plastic surgeon who did the Obagi regimen with me for over 1 year.  Along with Obagi, I did laser treatments at a day spa and man... my face was fah-bu-lous!! 

Now, that son is in college and homeschooling is over... I work for peanuts.  But I use this product and it is wonderful for zapping those zits and keeping your pores clean.  This sounds bad, but the burn does not bother me and I usually let it seep in my skin overnight.  Then in the morning, I rinse and tone with Witch Hazel.

http://www.amazon.com/Salicylic-Acid-Peel-30ml-Professional/dp/B000PLUZL8/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1413221520&sr=1-1

If you use it for more than 6 months, you will see a reduction in scars.  But it is not strong enough like Obagi to peel the permanent scarring like the final "blue mask" regimen.

Like everyone here, I love you also, but I think you already knew that. At least I hope you did :D. You always give the absolute best advice and tips. I crave your tips, Seriously. 

Negin, I am sorry. I never noticed you had asked a question. 

I don't use Paula's choice. I've heard of it, but never tried it. And I am pretty lame when it comes to daily skin care. I wash with a basic cleanser, like Dr Bonners and I add in a little baking soda. But, you know what? Sometimes I just use a baby wipe...if I use anything at all. I don't wear make up and so I often don't feel like my face is really all that dirty, so it is easy to forget to wash it.

I think I read that the AHA and the BHA can sort of clash. I would give a 48 hour buffer time between using the BHA and the Retin-A and the peel. My derm told me to give 48 hours of no Retin-A before I did a peel, so that is what I do.

I haven't used Retin-A in about a year, but i have to get a physical so I will ask for another script when I am there. Hey, it keeps me going back to the doctor, lol.

I have no info on facial exercises or opinion on them. I know they exist, but I've never really given them any thought. Well, I have though that if they really worked then I would have heard a whole lot more about them, but that is about it, lol.

There are a couple places... Makeup Ally has sent me on some surprising rabbit holes. I look into one product and it leads me to another and I ask a questions etc etc.  The other is http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/  I have never posted, just read. And there is also http://www.smartskincare.com/

But I always double check anything I find on those places, because I don't know how accurate they are.

For example, I've head of something a PP mentioned Obagi, but never really looked into it. I know it is expensive though. So I might google 'Obagi nu-derm dupe' and see where it takes me.

Bumping. Not sure if anyone saw my questions :). Maybe I should start a new thread.

There are a couple places... Makeup Ally has sent me on some surprising rabbit holes. I look into one product and it leads me to another and I ask a questions etc etc.  The other is http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/  I have never posted, just read. And there is also http://www.smartskincare.com/

But I always double check anything I find on those places, because I don't know how accurate they are.

Redsquirrel, no need to apologize. Thank you so much for replying and for being so helpful  :grouphug:. By the way, on the workout thread (this week's), I replied to your question about Classical Stretch. Not sure if you saw it or not. I just ordered some downloadable Katy Bowman "alignment snacks' and am looking forward to trying them out. 

Like you, I don't wear make up either. Now and again, I might use a tinted moisturizer and lip balm, but that's really it. Those are the only times I use a cleanser. Other than that, I just wash my face with water. 

At night time, I usually alternate between BHA and Retin-A (not if I'm exhausted or anything). I like your idea of waiting 48 hours between those and a peel. Makes complete sense. 

As far as facial exercises, I'm only doing a teeny-tiny bit of chin exercises to hopefully help with my double chin. Losing weight would be more effective, but that's a whole 'nuther problem. 

I really appreciate your links and the suggestion as to how to double-check with Google. I never would have thought of using the "dupe" key word. 

Thanks again for everything and thank you to the OP here who started this super-helpful thread.  :grouphug:

The only thing I wanted to contribute to those buying peels is to check into the ph of the product.  While a product may have all the proper ingredients however, if it's ph isn't within a certain range it won't be able to exfoliate which is the point of a peel.  Below is a link that gives a little more info on ph & different types of exfoliants.

http://www.paulaschoice-eu.com/learn/explaining-exfoliants/#pH_Sensitive_AHA_and_BHA

Back when we had $$ and I stayed at home - sure.

I started with a basic chemical peel at the local day spa.  Then went to a local plastic surgeon who did the Obagi regimen with me for over 1 year.  Along with Obagi, I did laser treatments at a day spa and man... my face was fah-bu-lous!! 

Now, that son is in college and homeschooling is over... I work for peanuts.  But I use this product and it is wonderful for zapping those zits and keeping your pores clean.  This sounds bad, but the burn does not bother me and I usually let it seep in my skin overnight.  Then in the morning, I rinse and tone with Witch Hazel.

http://www.amazon.com/Salicylic-Acid-Peel-30ml-Professional/dp/B000PLUZL8/ref=sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1413221520&sr=1-1

If you use it for more than 6 months, you will see a reduction in scars.  But it is not strong enough like Obagi to peel the permanent scarring like the final "blue mask" regimen.

I did Obagi, too.  Loved it, loved it, loved it.  The peeling part was not fun, but the results were beautiful.

:)

So, with a little research it seems that the part of the Obagi that gets results is a combo of Retinin-A and 4% hydroquinone. There is also stuff like nice cleansers and a sun screen etc that I bet are very luxurious and feel great.

But you can get Retinin-A and 4% hydroquinone from your doctor on their own. Any derm or even a GP can write that script. You can buy products with 2% hydroquinone at the drugstore for about 5$. It won't be anywhere near as nice as Obagi. I have used the 5$ version from the drugstore and it works really really well on age spots and other discolourations. It takes longer at 2% than at 4%, obviously, but it gets the job done.

The blue peel from Obagi is a TCA peel with possibly a blue tint added in. That can also be bought and done at home, but I personally wouldn't. I am under the impression that it is a strong peel and I would be afraid something could go wrong. And frankly, I am not even going to do that in a doctor's office. I don't want to do anything that has 'downtime'. I wouldn't want to feel like I have to stay in my house because I am red or peeling, or worse.

Here is a description of the different types of peels:

http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/nonsurgical-skin-care-treatments/_/chemical-peels#TCA

http://www.skinobsession.com/Chemical-Peels-s/23.htm

http://www.paulaschoice.com/community/dear-paula/_/dear-paula-cosmetic-procedure

So, with a little research it seems that the part of the Obagi that gets results is a combo of Retinin-A and 4% hydroquinone. 

Here is a description of the different types of peels:

Thank you for all your research and for sharing. You are the absolute best  :grouphug:   :grouphug:   :grouphug:. 

The blue peel from Obagi is a TCA peel with possibly a blue tint added in. That can also be bought and done at home, but I personally wouldn't. I am under the impression that it is a strong peel and I would be afraid something could go wrong. And frankly, I am not even going to do that in a doctor's office. I don't want to do anything that has 'downtime'. I wouldn't want to feel like I have to stay in my house because I am red or peeling, or worse.

It is more than that... your face is blue for up to a week.  Mine was about 4 and a half days.  My friend's face was up to 6 days. LOL  :blushing:   Don't plan on leaving the house!

I use Obagi with Retin-A substituted for the last step at night. It's great, but the Retin-A works better if it's given a break every 4 months or so. I like to change out with La Prairie or something else totally different. As for the peel,  :001_smile: I don't have time to be blue... Negin, IIRC, the founder of Obagi doesn't think facial exercises are a good idea. 

It is more than that... your face is blue for up to a week.  Mine was about 4 and a half days.  My friend's face was up to 6 days. LOL  :blushing:   Don't plan on leaving the house!

Sweet fancy jebus. Ok, I had no idea it turned people into smurfs!

Good thing I had already crossed that off my list.

I buy it here:

Thank you! I really needed an alternative to pricey spa peels. I ordered my 20% last night!

No, sorry. I've only ever ordered from them once and it was months ago.

Have you checked ordering via ebay? I know people get glycolic peel stuff there as well. But, I have no idea about in'l shipping etc.

Thanks all the same. My other option is to order from Amazon, combined with other items.

I will check eBay too.

you can buy products with 2% hydroquinone at the drugstore for about 5$. It won't be anywhere near as nice as Obagi. I have used the 5$ version from the drugstore and it works really really well on age spots and other discolourations. It takes longer at 2% than at 4%, obviously, but it gets the job done.

Which hydroquinone product have you tried?

Which hydroquinone product have you tried?

I have tried a variety of them. They are generally sold in the section of beauty products made specifically for African Americans. A friend told me about it. It is generally called 'fade cream' and it is to help with hyperpigmentation. My friend gets a really dark spot on her face from even a pimple that will last months and months. It is stressful for her. I have also used the brand 'porcelana' which you can find in drugstores, like CVS etc, on a bottom shelf.

You want to look for that hydroquinone. Lots of things claim to reduce age spots or sun spots or pigment, but really the hydroquinone works best. Once you hit 4% you need a script. I am currently using a brand that claims 3%.

I use it only at night, and I have a commitment to daily sunscreen. And I use it for a couple weeks and then I don't use it again for a couple months. I don't bother in the summer, only because even with sunscreen I get a bit more exposure than at other times of year, kwim?

The cream is cheap and I toss it often. It works best when it is newer. I think the air gets to it easily. But it is like 5$ so I don't care that much.

I have tried a variety of them. They are generally sold in the section of beauty products made specifically for African Americans. A friend told me about it. It is generally called 'fade cream' and it is to help with hyperpigmentation. My friend gets a really dark spot on her face from even a pimple that will last months and months. It is stressful for her. I have also used the brand 'porcelana' which you can find in drugstores, like CVS etc, on a bottom shelf.

You want to look for that hydroquinone. Lots of things claim to reduce age spots or sun spots or pigment, but really the hydroquinone works best. Once you hit 4% you need a script. I am currently using a brand that claims 3%.

I use it only at night, and I have a commitment to daily sunscreen. And I use it for a couple weeks and then I don't use it again for a couple months. I don't bother in the summer, only because even with sunscreen I get a bit more exposure than at other times of year, kwim?

The cream is cheap and I toss it often. It works best when it is newer. I think the air gets to it easily. But it is like 5$ so I don't care that much.

Can you walk me through how to use the hydroquinone? Pretend I'm a total idiot because when it comes to this, I am. Do you just apply it to the dark spots or can you apply it all over? I have some very tiny age spots that I'd be unable to just get it on them, plus I have some other spots where the boundaries are ill defined. I'm very pale normally, fwiw.

Can you walk me through how to use the hydroquinone? Pretend I'm a total idiot because when it comes to this, I am. Do you just apply it to the dark spots or can you apply it all over? I have some very tiny age spots that I'd be unable to just get it on them, plus I have some other spots where the boundaries are ill defined. I'm very pale normally, fwiw.

It is just a cream. And don't worry, it isn't something that works quickly, lol. It can take a long time of consistent use to see a change. And using more doesn't make it work faster or anything like that.

You can just dot it on a small spot or use it over a larger area, which ever you like. It doesn't leave a line of demarcation or anything like that. I guess if you used it for a really long time it could drastically change your skin tone, but I have no experience with that. I just use it where I had some age spots, and now it is more maintenance. I use it on my nose and across my cheeks. I spread it over the area. It hasn't made any major changes, just softened or got rid of some spots.

You can buy a script level of it mixed with retinin-A, so my guess (but that is all it is) is it is ok to spread over your face. The stuff from the drug store takes longer, but it gets you to the same place in the end.

You can find it in some brand name 'face brighteners' as well. Those are meant to be used all over the face. So just do what feels comfortable to you maybe?

I did a series of deep peels before my wedding over a period of several months.  The scary bright red and then flakey for days kind.  The results were mindblowingly amazing.  I was radiant.  Not something that I would bother do all the time, I'm pretty low key about my appearance, but it is fun to know that real transformations are possible.

The cosmotologist told me to come back after I finished having kids and we could have another go at it.  Maybe!

I did the pumpkin peel and it worked exactly like the one I had done at an esthetician.

Left it on for 5 minutes.

Very happy.  Followed with the jojoba oil.  

Thank you for the update. I'm glad you are happy with the results. Makes me want to splurge on that int'l shipping. :)

So it did not sting? No redness afterwards?

Does your face look brighter afterwards? With mine, I only had softer skin afterwards, which was nice, but I am looking for some lightening of age spots, too.

Thank you for the update. I'm glad you are happy with the results. Makes me want to splurge on that int'l shipping. :)

So it did not sting? No redness afterwards?

Does your face look brighter afterwards? With mine, I only had softer skin afterwards, which was nice, but I am looking for some lightening of age spots, too.

I had a little redness on my cheeks.  A little stinging, but nothing major.

I didn't see any brighter looking skin, but will see if things change after a few times.

I had a little redness on my cheeks.  A little stinging, but nothing major.

I didn't see any brighter looking skin, but will see if things change after a few times.

I used the same peel, and the results were similar.  I expected some peeling, but ... nothing.

umsami, did you have any peeling?  Maybe my expectations are colored by prior experience with Obagi.

On the Obagi note - I never turned blue.  But I did Obagi in the 90s.  Maybe they've changed something in the formulations.  

Thanks for doing the research, redsquirrel.  I think I might try some of the products you mentioned.  My doc will write scrips if I ask.  And yes, the hydroquinone part, when it was in Obagi at least, you spread evenly over the face.  It lightens the dark spots, but you'll end with an even, overall brighter face.  :)