Menu

S/O Season change: How do you get a workout when it's dark at 5 p.m.

Alicia64

I walk in the dark all the time. My last walk with the dogs is usually around 10 pm.

My first walk in the morning is now in the dark too. I actually kind of like walking in the dark.

Use headlamps if you want to be fancy & if you never actually face each other to talk. Otoh, it's an effective way to make a point - stop & blind them and while they're blinking you make your point with a rhetorical flourish.

Mostly I just carry small flashlights & my clothes & leashes have reflector thingies on them.

Headlamps AND a flashlight if you are walking along roads.  The flashlight shines down and is a bit easier for cars to see.  Bright reflectors on the back of your jacket because - it's generally NOT the car coming towards you that gets you.

Like MEMama, we ski all winter and it's always dark when we go.  The new headlamps are light and easy to use.

I go running/walking in the dark (both morning and night). If I'm staying on sidewalks, I don't bring any light at all since there are streetlamps where I am. If I'm on the road I wear a reflective vest and have a blinking light I attach to the back of my waistband so I am visible to cars. I love running in the dark, it's very peaceful.

Is it really pitch black? Are there any streetlights? Do you have a moon? It may look completely dark from your window, but unless there's a new moon, there is likely enough light for your eyes to adjust once you're out there. We just walk in the dark. Our neighborhood has very little street lighting, but unless we go through the woods on a particularly dark night, we can see well enough.

Headlamps and weather appropriate attire. That may include those things that you put on your shoes when there's ice out. Outer gear should include reflective vest.

Exactly what I was going to say. I would not walk alone in the dark, but if my husband was with me, I wouldn't even hesitate. Last school year a friend and I ran every Monday morning at 5 a.m. It was my favorite run of the week!