Menu

I don't even know how to title this.

AimeeM

I really thought I'd feel better post-op by now. Surgery was last week and took twice as long as they thought it would, because things were worse than they'd initially thought when they "got in there". Surgeon warned me after that my left side was going to hurt much more than my other side, as that is where most of the "damage" was.

I didn't think it would be this bad, though.

Can I just note (kind of slip in) that I'm SO glad my husband hired a "mommy sitter"? I'm glad he didn't listen to my stubborn-butt. She's been a God send because my left side feels like it's ripping in two and if I dare sneeze or cough (allergies), I sob.

I had only planned on taking a week from school. We ARE getting in some night school, but only phonics for DS5, math for DD12, and memory work for both. Other than that, I'm far too hazy from the pain meds or the pain itself to do more. I could maybe assign Autumn to do her writing alone, since she's doing Jump In and it's pretty "written to the student", but other than that, she isn't capable of working alone. Besides, if I'm honest, things go much smoother, and we're both happier, working together - before my surgery we were having blast and that was so nice for my mommy-heart, considering how last year went.

Regarding the above, is it really "okay" that this is "all" we do for a couple weeks? 

Then there's this...

I know I was so happy to listen to the most current psych ed eval from the public school psych that said Autumn isn't dyslexic. That was a huge mistake on my end, and I so should have listened to The Hive there. I was so happy to hear from a professional that it wasn't true, that I completely disregarded my own expertise in this area - I'm her mother and I homeschooled her for several years; add to that, we have a ridiculously large family history of dyslexia, and a former eval that DID dx dyslexia. 

*sigh*

So, me being an idiot, I ditched most of her OG and synthetic phonics resources... because, hey, she wasn't dyslexic according to the "I'm not allowed to dx dyslexia, but I don't think she has it" public school psychologist.

(It's okay, you can shake your head and mutter "idiot" now)

What we're doing now is working well for us - CLE Algebra 1, while at the same time filing in some gaps created by working memory issues; Jump In! for writing, VIE for grammar (I scribe this for her, and read the sentences aloud), buddy-reading age appropriate lit for literature, our geography, and our science, Classically Catholic Memory with little brother, and Decision Point for confirmation prep.

I need to, however, add back in Apples and Pears. Big time. 

I also think that she needs a reading program. I have Stories of the Saints IV from CHC, but I don't think it's going to cut it. It's only comprehension. I was looking at CLE Reading 6 or 7, but I wonder how that would work since it's only a semester long program. Could we use it without overwhelming her? I considered using that for a semester, and during that semester reading aloud "literature", and then moving back to buddy reading literature second semester. 

Please keep in mind that other than writing and some math, all of her subjects are ENTIRELY mom dependent. She craves/needs high content, but low skill level reading in content areas. <----- as much as I'm enjoying seeing her so happy while working again, I'll admit that I'm exhausted by the end of it. 

I'm not sure what I'm asking here, but for some input, I guess.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Recovering from a hyst takes longer than you'd think.  Hang in there, this will get better.  

ETA: I know I didn't address the school stuff, but I only have a moment to post this, so wanted to send support first and foremost.

I looked at Seton Reading... but I hesitate. Do their Thinking Skills (reading) books cover any analysis, or is it just another reading comp book?

I would definitely prefer to stay Catholic or secular, but I also know Seton can tend towards quite dry.

:grouphug:   I'm sorry that you are in so much pain.  And I'm glad that the mommy-sitter has turned out to be a blessing.  Yes, I think it is absolutely fine to not do school for a bit.  

And I would add to that school is not a priority here. You will be able to catch up in no time once you are past the pain. Rest and do exactly what you are supposed to do without worrying about school right now. The priority is that you are healing as best as possible.

I remember my post op days vividly when I read your post. I was miserable and was expecting to feel much better. It really did take the full 6 weeks they said to feel anywhere near normal again. The first couple weeks you should just lie around and rest and take all the meds you need to be as comfortable as possible. And as mentioned before, an abdominal binder is a miracle worker when it comes to sneezing, etc. And just in general. Don't know how I'd have stood it without it. It keeps your tummy "in place" so it doesn't move and hurt so much. After a couple weeks, when you start feeling a bit better, start walking a bit each day. I remember I could only go a tiny distance at first. I also remember the first time I went to the store again with my DH. I could barely walk and had to lean on the buggy, but I was determined to get back to normal. I gained a real empathy for these older people who can barely walk. Just hang in there and don't overdo. I promise you will be back to normal in a couple months. Seems like forever right now, but it really isn't.  :grouphug:

Edited to add, that after I quit wearing the binder, I started wearing "granny" panties with a control panel. They really made a difference as well, when I no longer wanted to wear the bulky binder, but still needed a bit of tummy support.

Take all the time you need. Consider it teaching your dc about self-care and just how important it is.

Honestly, don't beat yourself up over school AT ALL.

gentle hugs!!

(And so glad your mom-helper is working out! Just wondering, is your friend taking your 2yo back to her place for the afternoon each day?)

I looked at Seton Reading... but I hesitate. Do their Thinking Skills (reading) books cover any analysis, or is it just another reading comp book?

I would definitely prefer to stay Catholic or secular, but I also know Seton can tend towards quite dry.

Aimee, I just looked for my Seton middle school stuff and I can't find it. I'll try to look around their website to find the answer.

I remember at one point, analysis is covered it literature but I don't remember if it starts in high school or middle school.

Seton can be like saltines in the desert, though. :lol:

Take all the time you need. Consider it teaching your dc about self-care and just how important it is.

Honestly, don't beat yourself up over school AT ALL.

gentle hugs!!

(And so glad your mom-helper is working out! Just wondering, is your friend taking your 2yo back to her place for the afternoon each day?)

She's taking Marco with her to pick her kids up, takes him back to her house with her kids to let her pups out to potty, and then brings them all back here. She isn't comfortable right now leaving me alone for hours in the afternoon. Honestly, though, it's working out pretty well. Her two boys keep mine very happy, her daughter is getting in some girl time with my daughter, I can sneak away to our bedroom if I want quiet, she doesn't let them bother me if she notices that I'm not in the main area of the house, and it gives her time to do another load of dishes for me before Tony comes home. 

Hello, I am so sorry you are having such a rough go of it after surgery. A hysterectomy is major surgery, and even without all the extra issues, it is generally has long recovery. You really, really need to rest, relax, and recover, or you risk developing painful scar tissue that is very difficult to get rid of because more surgery means more scar tissue.

:grouphug:

When I had my hysterectomy my doctor's orders were to absolutely nothing for two weeks. As in sit, lay down, move around very little, and let others wait on you. He says his patients who do this recover faster and better than those who jump back in.

After the two weeks, instructions were to increase activity gradually and listen to your body.

My doctor's orders were similar. He said he wanted me on "c-section" recovery (as I've had three, he knew I would understand that... not that I listened even back then).

He DID say that he wants me up and walking (on flat land, or even just around the house) as frequently as I could, in small increments (blood clots? I was pretty fuzzy).

On a good note, by some very (large) grace of God, my 2 year old is (almost) sleeping entirely through the night... as of, literally, the day I came home from the hospital. I had heard horror stories from my mother about how he kept her up all night, and he normally doesn't sleep well AT ALL, but literally overnight, for some reason, he was sleeping through the night! Maybe all of my whispered prayers and begging :)

My husband has only had to get up once a night (I am normally up half a dozen times a night) to pat him and sing to him quietly, and he settles right back down! 

This morning was pretty crazy, but that's because I think I woke the household screaming when I sneezed, lol.

I don't have any advice.

I have a similar issue though. My son clearing has LD, and dyslexia I think for sure as one of them. And he needs one on one time with me to get anything done. The public school said he had nothing going on..no learning differences.

I wish I could help with the pain and getting more time. I am more or less struggling against some other issues. But it has resulted in trimming back to the bare minimum for us.

Are you able to read to the kids?  I've never had a c-section or a hysterectomy, so I'm not sure about your pain level, but my recommendation would be to send your friend to library and get some books to read to the kids.  That might make you feel a little better about schoolwork.   Snuggle on the couch or in your bed and read.  

Take care of yourself first and think about school decisions in another week or two when you are starting to heal a bit more. Now isn't the time to be making major decisions.

But since you asked about CLE reading.... You could have your daughter do both CLE 6 and CLE 7 this year to make a full year of work. I'd say just start with the 600 level and see how quickly she moves through it before buying the 700 level. Perhaps doing something two or three days a week instead of five would be a good way to supplement what you are already doing. 

This year DD12, seventh grade (not dyslexic but has trouble with reasoning skills, inference, etc.) is doing CLE level 500 and then will do 600 during the second half of the year. It's working for her at the lower levels. We did initially try the 500 level when she was in fifth grade, and she was not able to do it then.

Go ahead and think about these things while you are resting, but don't stress about making decisions now.

Let yourself rest and heal. You can worry about catching up with school when you've had a little more time to heal. I'd ask DH or a friend to get a lot of books from the library that are interesting and educational to toss in a basket. Look into Netflix documentaries and stuff like that while you're healing. 

Thank goodness for your dh's insistence on the sitter. I hope you don't try to think about any schooling right now. Rest!

Yeah. Tony definitely knows me well.

I made the entirely not bright decision the other day to not call in for a refill of my narcotic pain meds, despite the surgeons warning that I would probably need them for a couple of weeks. I was concerned because I had already been on them for a week prior to surgery (they gave me a narcotic to take the place of my anti-inflammatories, as I couldn't take the NSAIDS pre-op).

I called the nurse, requested a refill, and I'm much more comfortable now. 

Let yourself rest and heal. You can worry about catching up with school when you've had a little more time to heal. I'd ask DH or a friend to get a lot of books from the library that are interesting and educational to toss in a basket. Look into Netflix documentaries and stuff like that while you're healing. 

They aren't very self motivated, lol. If I toss things into a basket, they will stay there :P

I've heard the stories are pretty interesting?

Take care of yourself first and think about school decisions in another week or two when you are starting to heal a bit more. Now isn't the time to be making major decisions.

But since you asked about CLE reading.... You could have your daughter do both CLE 6 and CLE 7 this year to make a full year of work. I'd say just start with the 600 level and see how quickly she moves through it before buying the 700 level. Perhaps doing something two or three days a week instead of five would be a good way to supplement what you are already doing. 

This year DD12, seventh grade (not dyslexic but has trouble with reasoning skills, inference, etc.) is doing CLE level 500 and then will do 600 during the second half of the year. It's working for her at the lower levels. We did initially try the 500 level when she was in fifth grade, and she was not able to do it then.

Go ahead and think about these things while you are resting, but don't stress about making decisions now.

Are you able to read to the kids?  I've never had a c-section or a hysterectomy, so I'm not sure about your pain level, but my recommendation would be to send your friend to library and get some books to read to the kids.  That might make you feel a little better about schoolwork.   Snuggle on the couch or in your bed and read.  

I can't let the boys too close right now :( That pains me more emotionally than I can express. Both boys are very, very affectionate, but are also very, very bouncy. Last night the two year old plopped on my stomach and sent me sobbing for 10 minutes. Definitely never intentional - they are just used to being able to run and jump into my arms, and snuggle against my stomach, and break for very random "tickle mommy", "walk on mommy" moments out of the blue, and neither seem to understand right now that I can't do it (even if the pain were leveled out, or not bad, I have strict orders to not lift, rough house, and to avoid toddler kicking feet). 

My 5 year old and 13 year old, of course, understand more, but the 5 year old does frequently forget. The 2 year old has no concept of it - I can't be left alone with him right now even long enough to snuggle :(

I could make full use of the sitter/friend, though, and find an engaging activity for her and my 2 year old to do, while I cuddle on the bed with DS5 and DD13 to read for a bit :) Unfortunately, their interest levels are pretty different, lol - but I'm sure I can cater to both in some way. 

I don't have any advice.

I have a similar issue though. My son clearing has LD, and dyslexia I think for sure as one of them. And he needs one on one time with me to get anything done. The public school said he had nothing going on..no learning differences.

I wish I could help with the pain and getting more time. I am more or less struggling against some other issues. But it has resulted in trimming back to the bare minimum for us.

I'm so sorry you're going through that. *hugs*

Our last eval said no learning differences other than the already dx'd ADD - but she did say that she didn't see her functioning well in a classroom environment. I'm not paying any mind to it now - I know she needs OG and one-on-one simply because I've been doing it with her for so long. 

The bare minimum is under-rated, I think. I bet you're doing just dandy with what you're able to do - you strike me as someone who would. Don't fret about it, like the hive keeps telling me, lol.

:grouphug:

Just remember that every bit of taking it easy you put in now will be repaid with a quicker recovery.

The local charter school is in the middle of "Autumn Break." They go 7-on, 1-off. You can take an "Autumn Break" also! Don't worry about school right now, and use your mommy's helper as much as you can.