Menu

While we worry about ebola - can you military folks confirm this?

creekland

Ok, it's boring here at school as I'm merely overseeing projects kids are working independently on right now.

Fox is always useful for a story or two - usually just for fun - but I came across this one and I'm curious to know if it can be confirmed - if so - wow - and you folks are in my prayers!:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/10/02/army-warns-us-military-personnel-on-isis-threat-to-family-members/

"An Army intelligence bulletin is warning U.S. military personnel to be vigilant after Islamic State militants called on supporters to scour social media for addresses of their family members – and to “show up [at their homes] and slaughter them."

All I can say is that the military people here have been told not to be out and about in their uniforms.  Don't walk to work in uniform, don't stop at places on the way to or from work, don't ride your bike in uniform, etc. 

Ebola doesn't worry me even half as much as this would to be honest.  Lone lunatics can be anywhere and if they hear voices telling them to do these things - even to family members... (sigh)

Anyone affected has my heartfelt hugs.

ISIS/ISIL is a bigger threat to our planet than ebola I suspect.

All I can say is that the military people here have been told not to be out and about in their uniforms. Don't walk to work in uniform, don't stop at places on the way to or from work, don't ride your bike in uniform, etc.

This instruction is here as well.

Thanks for looking up the Snopes article.  I wish it were completely bogus, but I guess a mixture and it being "old news" is better than nothing (or totally real).

I'll admit to being concerned about lone lunatics - not really for myself - but in general.  They are getting too common (whether school shootings or beheadings or whatever).

I just showed this to James Bond, who is actually an intel officer, and he just shook his head.  He said he has not seen this or heard of this at all.  His office receives all the bulletins on safety issues, and nothing like this has come out. I asked if it was possible he just hadn't seen it, but he said something like this would have been brought up at staff meetings, and would have gone out in an "Urgent" email.  We're in the west coast time zone, so he certainly would have seen it today.

Also, for years, the military in any foreign country has been told not to wear their uniforms off post, unless going to or from a unit function.  They are not to wear them on planes or trains, and not allowed to wear them to restaurants, stores or any other place.  This has been the standard since 9/11.

Also, for years, the military in any foreign country has been told not to wear their uniforms off post, unless going to or from a unit function. They are not to wear them on planes or trains, and not allowed to wear them to restaurants, stores or any other place. This has been the standard since 9/11.

Or if you're USMC, home or abroad, this has been the standard since... I do not even know when. My DH gets seriously snarly when he sees other-service members in uniform at stores, etc.

Or if you're USMC, home or abroad, this has been the standard since... I do not even know when. My DH gets seriously snarly when he sees other-service members in uniform at stores, etc.

Really?  I see Marines off post in uniform all the time.  We're on a Joint Base (Army/AF), but there are plenty of Marines here too.  I've seen the at grocery stores, Target, restaurants, etc.  They didn't get the memo!

Also, for years, the military in any foreign country has been told not to wear their uniforms off post, unless going to or from a unit function. They are not to wear them on planes or trains, and not allowed to wear them to restaurants, stores or any other place. This has been the standard since 9/11.

Actually, we were told all of this when we moved to Germany in 1997, when the posts were still open and gates unguarded. We received more strict orders after the embassy bombings and again after 9/11. This has always been SOP as far as I know. I do agree that this is probably what people are interpreting as new.

Really? I see Marines off post in uniform all the time. We're on a Joint Base (Army/AF), but there are plenty of Marines here too. I've seen the at grocery stores, Target, restaurants, etc. They didn't get the memo!

This is supposed to be true in the army too, in theory. They are allowed to make short stops after work, but they aren't supposed to go to the mall or junk like that. They can go to lunch because that is during work hours, but aren't supposed to go to a leisurely dinner with the family while in the utility uniform. I don't think I have ever been out to dinner with dh in his BDUs/ACUs. And yes, I see it all of the time too.

Really? I see Marines off post in uniform all the time. We're on a Joint Base (Army/AF), but there are plenty of Marines here too. I've seen the at grocery stores, Target, restaurants, etc. They didn't get the memo!

Naughty, naughty Marines. ;)

Not even supposed to stop for gas off base if in cammies. Dress uniform only is allowed "in public".

Actually, we were told all of this when we moved to Germany in 1997, when the posts were still open and gates unguarded. We received more strict orders after the embassy bombings and again after 9/11. This has always been SOP as far as I know. I do agree that this is probably what people are interpreting as new.

We were first in Germany in 1997 too!  They weren't supposed to wear their uniforms out, but after 9/11 it became enforced.

This is supposed to be true in the army too, in theory. They are allowed to make short stops after work, but they aren't supposed to go to the mall or junk like that. They can go to lunch because that is during work hours, but aren't supposed to go to a leisurely dinner with the family while in the utility uniform. I don't think I have ever been out to dinner with dh in his BDUs/ACUs. And yes, I see it all of the time too.

I see ACU's at the mall ALL.THE.TIME.  I can understand if they're grabbing lunch at the food court, but it's at all different times, and they're just wandering around.  I can see at a restaurant during lunch, but not to go out to dinner.  Though I admit that the guys on shift may be taking their "lunch" at night, and might meet up with their families, so who knows.  James Bond does not go out in his uniform if it can be at all helped.  He wants nothing more than to change into civvies the minute he gets home.  :)

I see ACU's at the mall ALL.THE.TIME. I can understand if they're grabbing lunch at the food court, but it's at all different times, and they're just wandering around. I can see at a restaurant during lunch, but not to go out to dinner. Though I admit that the guys on shift may be taking their "lunch" at night, and might meet up with their families, so who knows.

Agreed, it is nuts! You should see my dh's death stare at soldiers in uniform at the mall, lol.

James Bond does not go out in his uniform if it can be at all helped. He wants nothing more than to change into civvies the minute he gets home. :)

Same with my dh. He will sometimes grudgingly stop at the commissary, that is about it.

I see ACU's at the mall ALL.THE.TIME.  I can understand if they're grabbing lunch at the food court, but it's at all different times, and they're just wandering around.  

This has always been and continues to be the norm in this (that) area.  If anything, the overt presence of the military is considered a bonus by most.

This has always been and continues to be the norm in this (that) area.  If anything, the overt presence of the military is considered a bonus by most.

Oh, I get that, and I also get that it's got to be a HUGE pain to change sometimes, as there are schedules to be kept, meetings to get to, soccer games to attend, etc.  I *personally* don't have a problem with it in America, but in other parts of the world, it seems a risk.  Of course even without a uniform on, you can generally pick an American out almost instantly, no matter where you are.  

<snip>  Of course even without a uniform on, you can generally pick an American out almost instantly, no matter where you are.  

Yes. We can generally spot Americans and Europeans in the mall, from about 100 meters distance. Americans are frequently wearing Shorts and they are speaking at high volume. Europeans look like they haven't been exposed to sunlight for 6 or 8 months.

The goal is to try to keep a low profile when in public. I did see this on Fox News Channel last night. Catherine Herridge had a copy of the memo in her hand when she was discussing it.

I live in a military community and have seen this posted on Facebook for a couple weeks now. I have not heard of any soldiers actually being told this  at WORK though. I was just at the mall and saw plenty of uniforms lol….

I think what happened was someone at Fox News got wind of that old bulletin (talked about in Snopes) and either didn't look at the date or didn't care.  Rather than double checking his info (as I was doing with this thread ;)  ) they just decided it would make good news and went ahead with it - after all - they had a bulletin of sorts in hand...

Not that any news organization would do that...  :lol:

It's why I prefer to double check many things and the Hive, with it's depth of varied experience, is usually a great place to do so!

Also, for years, the military in any foreign country has been told not to wear their uniforms off post, unless going to or from a unit function.  They are not to wear them on planes or trains, and not allowed to wear them to restaurants, stores or any other place.  This has been the standard since 9/11.

We were told this in 1987 too but the posts were guarded then and you and to show ID to get in.

I just showed this to James Bond, who is actually an intel officer, and he just shook his head.  He said he has not seen this or heard of this at all.  His office receives all the bulletins on safety issues, and nothing like this has come out. I asked if it was possible he just hadn't seen it, but he said something like this would have been brought up at staff meetings, and would have gone out in an "Urgent" email.  We're in the west coast time zone, so he certainly would have seen it today.

:iagree:  My DH also works for a particular Defense agency that gets immediate safety updates and he assures me that as of yesterday (he's off today) the  threat level had not been raised.  

In Germany, it was a big deal to be out on the economy in your uniform. Here the rules are the same, but hard to avoid if soldiers have things to do on their lunch hour. We haven't heard anything about this new threat.