Menu

Gracepoint (and Broadchurch) *Spoilers*

Angie in VA

I finally caught up.

Gp is more interesting when the details are different from BC. I finally had a "tell me what happens" moment at the end of, I think, episode 7 and was glad to be able to jump to the next episode.

GP I just want to know what happens but BC I can watch over and over because it's just so good.

(((Soul sister)))

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got behind but "caught up" to episode 8 last weekend when I was catching up on laundry.

It's weird, tho' cuz now episode 8 is no longer on demand on fios. :confused:

So, are there only episodes 9 and 10 left? And are they the next 2 Thursdays? The 4th and the 11th?

It's probably still on Fox's site

I think you're right about epis 9 and 10. At the end of episode 8 Dh said, "You'll have to wait 2 weeks b/c of TG." I finally had a remote interest in the plot and now I have to wait. 

Anyone still watching?

I liked Mark Latimer (even though I suspected him and was mad that he cheated on Beth) more than Mark Solano. I don't know why, but I can't stand that character!

And the priest got even creepier in epi 9. I don't like him either. Of course, Paul was Rory in BC, but still. 

Anyone still watching?

I liked Mark Latimer (even though I suspected him and was mad that he cheated on Beth) more than Mark Solano. I don't know why, but I can't stand that character!

And the priest got even creepier in epi 9. I don't like him either. Of course, Paul was Rory in BC, but still. 

I'm still in!  I watched ep 9 today.  The priest is so creepy.  And that woman!  She is bat shit crazy.  I have no idea who really did it.  I felt more sympathy for what's his name today when he talked about the detective who lost the evidence being his wife.  

Anyone still watching?

I agree..I don't like gp mark but like bc mark.

Also, the part of the priest is soooo different in the two shows.

*********SPOILERS!!!!!**********

I confess, I am a stuck record, but since it is over, I just have to say one more time that everything about the American show fell flat. Just as I predicted, I didn't care that it was Joe, or actually Tom, because I didn't care about Anna Gunn's Ellie. Olivia Colman? I adore her, love her and care bout her. I was devastated for and with her. GP's Ellie? Meh.

***SPOILERS***

I didn't like that at all. I mean... are we really supposed to believe that out of nowhere, after years of happy marriage and no issues, he suddenly became a pedo? It just perpetuates this idea that any man is dangerous. I just didn't believe it narratively. I could have believed he pulled the wool over Ellie's eyes, but the way this was told, there was no wool to pull. Just one day he snapped and changed. It's hard to disagree with that presentation because how do you argue with it, but it doesn't feel believable. I liked that they left a little ambiguity with what was going to happen next, but overall... no.

I liked Anna Gunn though. There's not enough love for Anna Gunn in the world in general.

I really enjoyed this show. Looking forward to watching Broadchurch if it ever comes to Netflix or Hulu.

Broadchurch was just added to Netflix streaming! Today! (I believe,)

I just got a notification that Broadchurch has been added to Netflix. I'm hopeful that I'll like it better than Gracepoint.

It's worlds better! I just hope watching GP doesn't ruin it for you. I tried to tell the world to watch BC first. I tried!

Broadchurch was just added to Netflix streaming! Today! (I believe,)

It's worlds better! I just hope watching GP doesn't ruin it for you. I tried to tell the world to watch BC first. I tried!

For me it will be like comparing different versions of Pride and Prejudice. Who did it better, which actors are better, are there parts of one that I prefer to the other, etc...

Kelly

Stayed up late to watch. Now it makes sense as to why they kept that line in--the one I mentioned earlier when I wondered why they'd leave it in if the ending was supposed to be different. I like the very very ending where they each know that the other knows.

The middle part? Not so much.

The part I had trouble with was that Tom would go out to defend Danny after getting loads of crap from him for months. Didn't feel quite real to me. But I'm just coming off the flu and have stayed up way too late so I may not be processing very well right now. 

I just realized Ellie's sister didn't come to the hotel. Also given the scenario in gp would Ellie really walk out the instant her nephew arrived?

Dc and I brainstormed another ending:

When Danny has issues with his dad he goes to the priest. They hang out more and more and the priest starts to obsess over the thought of he and Beth and Danny being a family. Priest freaks Danny out by referencing himself as Danny's dad. Danny runs out slips in churchyard and hits his head. The priest covers it up in fear of "losing" Beth.

Ta da!

I just realized Ellie's sister didn't come to the hotel. Also given the scenario in gp would Ellie really walk out the instant her nephew arrived?

Dc and I brainstormed another ending:

When Danny has issues with his dad he goes to the priest. They hang out more and more and the priest starts to obsess over the thought of he and Beth and Danny being a family. Priest freaks Danny out by referencing himself as Danny's dad. Danny runs out slips in churchyard and hits his head. The priest covers it up in fear of "losing" Beth.

Ta da!

I like your ending much better!

Here is what I think after watching both.

I prefer Mark from BC. Much more likeable character. More emotion.

I like Beth from GP better. The actress was better at playing the grieving mom.

Jack from GP was far and away a better character.

I'm not sure about Ellie. I thought they were about the same.

I preferred Susan and the priest in BC. They were much less creepy.

The other characters really didn't seem much different in the two shows.

As far as not having another season of GP I'm not sure I'd watch another of BC. I enjoyed both shows a lot, but I think it will turn into another Murder She Wrote. I always thought if I ever saw Jessica Fletcher any where I'd leave because someone was about to be murdered.

Oh, can't forget Det. Carver. I liked him in both, but I lean towards BC because I love his Scottish accent. I don't think I've heard it before. He doesn't have it in Dr. Who, does he?

Kelly

You omitted important info: which did you see first?

Agree. Totally. Liked Mark Latimer, detested Mark Solano.

Totally disagree! Beth was the only one I liked on GP, though. No, I liked Nick Nolte too. I think Jodie Whittaker (BC's Beth) is a brilliant actress.

I liked both.

My brain can not process this second sentence. Anna Gunn? Insomnia cure. Olivia Colman? Move next door to me, please.

Yes, correct again.

I didn't get the sense of community w/ GP that I did w/ BC. The town wasn't as predominant as PortWenn is in Doc Martin (I consider Port Wenn my favorite character, lol, b/c it is indeed a character!) but I never felt like GP was a close knit town like BC was.

As far as not having another season of GP I'm not sure I'd watch another of BC. I enjoyed both shows a lot, but I think it will turn into another Murder She Wrote. I always thought if I ever saw Jessica Fletcher any where I'd leave because someone was about to be murdered.

Season 2 of Broadchurch begins in early January. It will be odd watching it once a week, but I'm in. LOL at the MSW joke. We say that here too. DH's favorite episode is the one in which a retiring police officer vowed to solve a cold case. He was the killer!

Oh, can't forget Det. Carver. I liked him in both, but I lean towards BC because I love his Scottish accent. I don't think I've heard it before. He doesn't have it in Dr. Who, does he?

According to dd, he uses an English accent in DW. I love his Scottish accent and agree w/ what  BarbecueMom said here

Kelly

Kelly

Nothing about GP is better than BC. You're wrong.

:) :) :)

Eta: the above is totally said in jest

You remind me a little too much of my AP English instructor in high school. If we didn't agree with him on book selection we were idiots and had no taste.

These are just my oh so humble opinions.

Kelly

Aw shoot. I'm really just kidding. The tone of this thread has been very pro-BC and I was just teasing because of that.

Sorry.