Menu

Gracepoint (and Broadchurch) *Spoilers*

Angie in VA

Flat is a good word for it. I'm not drawn emotionally to it. I'm reminded of when ds2 and I were reading some book (at the same time but not aloud) . . . can't remember the name of it . . . but we both just dropped it partway through. Finally when it came due I asked him, "Do you care about these characters at all or should I just return the book." The book went back. While we were both drawn into the story at first the rest of the book just didn't seem to make sense and we never bonded with the characters at all.

That's how I feel about GP. Yet I will watch until the bitter end! :laugh:

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I prefer American comedies (usually reruns of old shows) and many British shows, I turned to DH after watching Gp epi 3 and asked, "Are all American dramas this bad?" The witer a nd witing were so good for BC! Just who messed up this version?

I am just going to observe people complaining about the show and not actually watch it. :lol:

I thought BC was excellent. 

I am just going to observe people complaining about the show and not actually watch it. :lol:

I thought BC was excellent. 

This is my plan. I keep following this thread for confirmation that my decision not to watch GP was correct. :laugh:

Geniuses, both of you! I might join your camp one day.  :smilielol5:

BTW, my library has BC on dvd. I checked it out and watched the deleted scenes. There weren't very many, which makes me admire BC all the more. It's so...so...economical. I didn't see the bonus scene at Danny's wake, which I've seen online, but it was nice and I like the option of subtitles/captioned. I really need to own this dvd set. Actually, we all do!

Edited 10-20-14 at 8:29am to add link to the bonus scene from BC. (And I take issue w/ one thing in it. Any guesses what it is?)

I'm still watching it, but only to see who the killer is, since they apparently changed it from BC. It is rather flat. Even DT is flat, which makes me sad.

I so want to be able to say "but DT is awesome"...but I can't ): It makes me sad too.

It's like the American accent doesn't let him emote or use his face. Couldn't he have been a detective that moved to GP from Scotland?!

I so want to be able to say "but DT is awesome"...but I can't ): It makes me sad too.

It's like the American accent doesn't let him emote or use his face. Couldn't he have been a detective that moved to GP from Scotland?!

Yes, this would have made it so much better!  His face is aways so....straight.  Can't he move his cheeks every now an then, or do something other than scowl?

I found him rather flat in BC, to be honest. I loved BC, but he wasn't why. But, I am fairly convinced that the character is written 'flat'..or just depressed. I know I am more used to seeing DT play The Doctor (also an accent) with lots of energy and emoting. But, Doctor Who can be a bit OTT most of the time, lol.

And while you are I might love to hear him speak in his natural accent, the fact is that many Americans wouldn't. My mom simply can't understand British accents. She is a fairly typical person and is my guide for what veers close to 'average' of things, lol. And she knows she can use subtitles but then she says she spends all her time reading the subtitles and can't pay attention to the story.. She goes to lots of foreign films because she loves them, but says she often misses things and just tries to keep up. I can't see her committing to an entire series with a major character she can't fully understand.

Funny how other actors haven't had the same attention to their natural accents. No one pays much attention to Hugh Laurie or Damien Lewis or Karen Gillan's use of an American accent. And the kid who played Dean Thomas in the Harry Potter films is on How To Get Away With Murder.

I found him rather flat in BC, to be honest. I loved BC, but he wasn't why. But, I am fairly convinced that the character is written 'flat'..or just depressed. I know I am more used to seeing DT play The Doctor (also an accent) with lots of energy and emoting. But, Doctor Who can be a bit OTT most of the time, lol.

It's the character. Given everything that he had been through, I think it would have been inappropriate for him to be too emotive. Depressed is probably a good way to put it.

I understand the american accent thing (having once had to turn on closed captioning whilst watching british shows), but that doesn't mean I like it. I am firmly in the "not watching, but watching other people complain" camp. At least that way I know what I'm not missing.

I still need to watch.

I saw a couple minutes and was glad to see that it looks like the plot may be changing.

The rest of my family watched an episode or two and they all give up...except, they want me to watch and let them know if it gets better!

Yes. Kudos to a plot change (however flat it may be)!

LOL at the quitters who want you monitor the quality of GP.  :lol:

That priest is starting to creep me out with his obsession for Beth. So it must have been him. He did it to draw her back to him. :rolleyes:

Now I'm thinking Grandma did it. Or the school teacher. It's so out there that it must be so. :laugh:

:smilielol5:  Funny! I don't know who did it, but the priest is weird!

Funny how other actors haven't had the same attention to their natural accents. No one pays much attention to Hugh Laurie or Damien Lewis or Karen Gillan's use of an American accent. And the kid who played Dean Thomas in the Harry Potter films is on How To Get Away With Murder.

I did notice Karen Gillan's but then I decided I didn't really like that show and stopped watching it.

That priest is starting to creep me out with his obsession for Beth. So it must have been him. He did it to draw her back to him. :rolleyes:

Now I'm thinking Grandma did it. Or the school teacher. It's so out there that it must be so. :laugh:

I know!  That priest creeps me out big time!  I don't like him AT ALL. *shudder*

I have about a million theories about who did it.  I cannot make up my mind.  They're all shifty, IMO.

So much pressure!

:)

This!  I kind of don't want to watch it though, as it was stated somewhere in this thread, IIRC, who the killer was in BC.  That's no fun.

Do you mean Selfie?!? I love Selfie! (And KG's "american" accent too!)

It looks in danger of being canceled ):

James Bond and I love Selfie too.  It's weirdly hilarious, and sadly too true.  I saw that it was in danger of being cancelled and it made me sad.  There are very few really funny sit-coms on now.  They're trying to keep the old standbys, but some of them are getting stale.  BTW, another favorite of ours is Blackish.  That is HILARIOUS.  Lawrence Fishburn steals every scene he's in.

This! I kind of don't want to watch it though, as it was stated somewhere in this thread, IIRC, who the killer was in BC. That's no fun.

I knew the killer in Broadchurch before I started watching it, and I still enjoyed it a lot. That being said, I am a total spoiler whore and the "surprise whodunit" part of mysteries doesn't appeal to me as much as the smaller plot points and character arcs. And Broadchurch had a lot of those!

So, I'm still watching gp.

Gp is never subtle. It's like telling the audience "notice this!" or "here, let me explain this to you".

I like the parts that are least like bc because I can't help but compare the similar bits!

Still watching here too. Your point about GP not being subtle is exactly what I was thinking last night while I watched.

I'm afraid to read the whole thread because I just watched ep 1 tonight and I don't want to read spoilers, but did someone explain that the writers plan on branching out in eps 3 and 4?  They wanted the beginning to be exactly the same, and then it starts to deviate from there.  They plan on introducing new characters and delving deeper into older characters, which is why Gracepoint will be 10 epsiodes long rather than only 8. The killer is different.  Is this true?  Well, I won't really come back to see if you answered me.  I just want to jabber on about it because I finished Broadchurch last night and am beginning Gracepoint now.

I've only seen episode 1 and I'm not sure whether it's bad, or it's just that there are no surprises.  I'm wondering how people react to it who've never seen Broadchurch?  I plan on watching through episode 4 when things have clearly deviated and solidify my opinion then.  I feel like the actors are hamstrung by having to re-act another actor's interpretation of the character.  Since the writers want the opening to be exactly the same, the actors cannot bring their true take to the character.  I think by ep 3 or 4 when they can start letting their own talent shine through that the acting will get better.  Do they?

What made Broadchurch extra good to me was the music.  I rarely notice music consciously in movies/shows, but Broadchurch's music was so haunting and perfect that I looked forward to the ending of each episode just to hear it over the credits.  Gracepoint doesn't have the same impact without that song.

P.S.  I really hate how American shows only have super pretty people in them. As much as I want to give Gracepoint a fair shake, it aggravates me to no end that everyone is ridiculously good looking.  I appreciated how real the people looked in Broadchurch, It gave a reality to the show.

There are a number of shows on American TV that I simply cannot watch because everyone looks too good.  People in real life who live in small towns like Gracepoint are wrinkled and weathered and wear unfashionable clothing and don't always put on makeup or fix their hair.  Even in America.  Come visit my small town.  We're pretty homely around here and it's ok! 

So, I'm still watching gp.

Gp is never subtle. It's like telling the audience "notice this!" or "here, let me explain this to you".

I like the parts that are least like bc because I can't help but compare the similar bits!

You are correct about the lack of subtlety.  It's like there are anvils falling all over the place.

I knew the killer in Broadchurch before I started watching it, and I still enjoyed it a lot. That being said, I am a total spoiler whore and the "surprise whodunit" part of mysteries doesn't appeal to me as much as the smaller plot points and character arcs. And Broadchurch had a lot of those!

OMG, spoiler whore.  That's hilarious. Normally I am too, but I don't want to know, because then I would be looking for clues (Sherlock fans: cluing for looks!) the entire show to see if I can find out a tell or give away.

P.S.  I really hate how American shows only have super pretty people in them. As much as I want to give Gracepoint a fair shake, it aggravates me to no end that everyone is ridiculously good looking.  I appreciated how real the people looked in Broadchurch, It gave a reality to the show.

There are a number of shows on American TV that I simply cannot watch because everyone looks too good.  People in real life who live in small towns like Gracepoint are wrinkled and weathered and wear unfashionable clothing and don't always put on makeup or fix their hair.  Even in America.  Come visit my small town.  We're pretty homely around here and it's ok! 

This is a huge part of our problem with society today.  On TV and in movies, unless it's a supporting character, there are never any normal looking people.  Everyone looks like a movie/tv star. Yes, they are talented, but I'm fairly certain there are some talented imperfect looking people.  I don't think they get the roles though, because they don't look perfect.  IMO, watching all perfect people in movies/tv is part of the problem with body image issues we have in this country.  Where are the moms with the muffin tops and hair that doesn't look like it was styled by a team, the teens with a zit or two, or the dad's with a slight pot belly?

This is a huge part of our problem with society today.  On TV and in movies, unless it's a supporting character, there are never any normal looking people.  Everyone looks like a movie/tv star. Yes, they are talented, but I'm fairly certain there are some talented imperfect looking people.  I don't think they get the roles though, because they don't look perfect.  IMO, watching all perfect people in movies/tv is part of the problem with body image issues we have in this country.  Where are the moms with the muffin tops and hair that doesn't look like it was styled by a team, the teens with a zit or two, or the dad's with a slight pot belly?

I actually get confused sometimes watching American shows.  Unless the two female leads, for example, have different coloured hair, I often can't remember who is who, because they have no other distinguishing marks - their features are so completely regular.

L

What made Broadchurch extra good to me was the music.  I rarely notice music consciously in movies/shows, but Broadchurch's music was so haunting and perfect that I looked forward to the ending of each episode just to hear it over the credits.  Gracepoint doesn't have the same impact without that song.

Yes! This! I love the music. So poignant. I need to buy the soundtrack.

So I was at the library voting, picking up books, and ignoring how much I've racked up in fines and saw the Broadchurch novel in the new releases. I didn't check it out because I'm up to my ears in Odysseus and Dresden right now, but I may get it later. Figured someone might be interested.

I'm sick and it's raining, and I wonder if I could get away with watching some Broadchurch at quiet time. Today we watched a PBS documentary narrated by David Tennant and finished the fourth How to Train Your Dragon audiobook in the car, also narrated by David Tennant. I'm not sick of him yet. :-P

Oh, Jack. Even though I knew what was coming I was still sad. It seemed to me that while BC Jack was terribly frightened, GP Jack was deeply sad.

And what's up with Owen's mom/Ellie's sister? Another red herring? And that reporter woman . . . oh what's her name? . . . feels much ickier in GP. But it could just be that it's been so long since I watched BC that I'm not remembering correctly.

Oh, Jack. Even though I knew what was coming I was still sad. It seemed to me that while BC Jack was terribly frightened, GP Jack was deeply sad.

And what's up with Owen's mom/Ellie's sister? Another red herring? And that reporter woman . . . oh what's her name? . . . feels much ickier in GP. But it could just be that it's been so long since I watched BC that I'm not remembering correctly.

Jack made me sad too. Still waiting for more variation for the original script. 

What do you think of the latest plot twist? I think this is another red herring--that Tom ran away because his mom is more focused on Danny/work than him and he feels neglected.

The scene with Susan and Vince seemed so . . . fake. It just looked to me like Susan was trying not to laugh while Vince had his hand around her throat. She did not look afraid at all. Was she supposed to look afraid? Maybe she wasn't?

And what was the point of having Julianne show up? That felt like a time filler.

It was Carver. He did it because he's the one we'd least suspect. Yep. :p

I've only seen episode 1 and I'm not sure whether it's bad, or it's just that there are no surprises.  I'm wondering how people react to it who've never seen Broadchurch?  I plan on watching through episode 4 when things have clearly deviated and solidify my opinion then.  I feel like the actors are hamstrung by having to re-act another actor's interpretation of the character.  Since the writers want the opening to be exactly the same, the actors cannot bring their true take to the character.  I think by ep 3 or 4 when they can start letting their own talent shine through that the acting will get better.  Do they?

I think that is part of the problem.

BC's opening episode was SO STRONG. It was just, BOOM! and the acting blew me away. I think someone would be hard pressed to follow Jodie Whittaker's performance, she was amazing. It's like saying, "Hey, let's redo Wuthering Heights right after after Laurence Oliver has played Heathcliff. While we are at it let's Americanize it, change a few accents and shake up the plot just a bit. That will be great right?"

I am being a bit hyperbolic but it still kind of bugs me.

I think Scottish people seem more flat when they are using American accents. It seems like their voices lose a lot of range. I noticed the same issue with Karen Gillian. Her voice is sometimes high or low like normal people's voices while she is in Doctor Who but in her American show (bah) her voice seems less flexible.

Okay - I have never seen Broadchurch, or anything with Anna Gunn in it,  so I have nothing to compare it/them to. (I am however an unabashed David Tennant fan.)  That said...I am actually really enjoying Gracepoint.  It has drawn me in and I am biting my nails trying to figure out whodunit and what their motivation was.  I do think that Tennant has been much better in other roles, but I understand that this is not supposed to be a likable character.  I actually really like Ellie, and Beth...oh my heart breaks for her.  (Her husband though - I can't STAND him!)

I have read spoiler for the British version - hoping this one ends differently because I find that suspect rather likable....but I guess that was the point.

I want to guess it's Tom - but I'm thinking that's too obvious.   I'll be watching to the end.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay - I've been thinking about it...there really can only be 2 suspects (possibly 3) that would have the same 'gut wrenching' effect that the original series offered.  (And I mean that really was the whole point of the original...wasn't it?   Without that  - it would just be an 'okay' plot IMO) 

And I am super excited because I read that Broadchurch is coming to Netflix!!!

Okay - I've been thinking about it...there really can only be 2 suspects (possibly 3) that would have the same 'gut wrenching' effect that the original series offered.

You know the scene where the person was running and we only see an outline? As soon as I saw him running I thought, "That's Mark!" At least, that's who it looked like to me.

Okay - I've been thinking about it...there really can only be 2 suspects (possibly 3) that would have the same 'gut wrenching' effect that the original series offered.  (And I mean that really was the whole point of the original...wasn't it?   Without that  - it would just be an 'okay' plot IMO) 

And I am super excited because I read that Broadchurch is coming to Netflix!!!

I'd like your list of 3 suspects. Feel free to send them in am PM. I fear I've ruined too much here already. 

Netflix? SHUT UP! I love that show! I will watch it over and over till they remove it. I mean, when season 2 of BC starts, I need to be up on season 1, right? Right? RIGHT?!

I finally caught up.

Gp is more interesting when the details are different from BC. I finally had a "tell me what happens" moment at the end of, I think, episode 7 and was glad to be able to jump to the next episode.

GP I just want to know what happens but BC I can watch over and over because it's just so good.