Menu

Gracepoint (and Broadchurch) *Spoilers*

Angie in VA

Ok, I thought of something else that's bugging me about this remake. Some of the actors in GP are look-alikes for the BC characters and it might not have been the best choice. I'm thinking particularly of the women who play Susan. In BC Susan just has this look, like she knows something . . . something deep . . . and she wants to be left alone. She projects a sort of darkness. So far in GP the woman who, I assume, plays Susan--because she looks a bit like the BC woman--just has this creepy smile when we see her. Creepy in a sort of creepy clown/Chucky sort of way.

Maybe this look-alike thing is why that actress was chosen for Ellie. Because she looks almost sort of similar--like if you squint and cross your eyes. ha ha. But I just get no warmth and genuineness from GP Ellie like I did from BC Ellie.

I thought I was going to watch GP with an open mind about the remake but I'm not doing a very good job with that. :D

Yeah, me neither. And I already knew it would be watered down, but I can't help myself from putting it down. David Tennant keeps me watching...for now.

You are right about Susan on all points. A friend said the BC Susan made her hair stand on end from the start.

Dh, who complained the loudest about it's being "the exact same? That's dumb!" said he would watch GP w/ me. He's been sick and collapsing in bed early in the evenings, but as soon as he's well, I'll rewatch the first GP w/ him and really look for clues. Won't be a point, though, b/c of all the red herrings, but I have to try, lol. Did I post the website for GP? It's suspecteveryone.com. LOL.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly, I'm obsessing about this. I'm kind of in a blue funk in life right now, so yeah, this is how I'm self-medicating, lol. 

I watched it and enjoyed it. I watched it twice, once with the sound off becuase i really wanted to see the looks on people's faces without hearing their words. I never saw Broadchurch and don't have access to watch it now.

I meant to address this. Many moons ago I took an ASL class and one of our assignments was to watch a show w/ the sound off. If you want to see great acting, you really should see Broadchurch. Sound or no sound, BC's Beth's reaction on the beach was some great acting. 

Yes, very. I've read and watched a lot of murder mysteries, but this one hit me much harder than anything else I can think of. Beth ripped my heart out.

Inspired by unsinkable, I watched the first 12 or so minutes of the first episode of BC again w/o sound. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Jodie Whittaker gave the best performance I've seen in a very long time. Decades. Meryl Streep kind of thing. 

Just watched the first episode of GP. It felt like everything was wrong...everyone looked wrong and the wrong voice was coming out of David Tennant!!

The feel is just so different.

Yep. 

But will you continue? I am in, for now, for David Tennant. Cinder said she heard his Scottish accent come through. I don't know about you, but that almost sounded like a challenge to me, and I think I want to take it. ;)

ETA: I might keep watching GP just so I can complain about how wrong it is. Yeah, I said it. I'm not above it. 

Also, who is the wrongest? I say Ellie and Beth. It's a toss up b/c I loved Olivia Colman and Jodie Whittaker so much in BC.

I want to know what not-Hardy says to the psychic during the interrogation, if they keep that plot line and scene. It's really hard to top "self-indulgent horsesh*t", but that's not going to happen. That was one of my favorite lines. It wouldn't sound as good without the Scottish accent anyway.

I want to know what not-Hardy says to the psychic during the interrogation, if they keep that plot line and scene. It's really hard to top "self-indulgent horsesh*t", but that's not going to happen. That was one of my favorite lines. It wouldn't sound as good without the Scottish accent anyway.

YES! This! I just watched BC episode 2 yesterday (b/c I thought GP was coming on last night, lol) and heard that line again. It cracked me up. 

Yep. 

But will you continue? I am in, for now, for David Tennant. Cinder said she heard his Scottish accent come through. I don't know about you, but that almost sounded like a challenge to me, and I think I want to take it. ;)

ETA: I might keep watching GP just so I can complain about how wrong it is. Yeah, I said it. I'm not above it. 

Also, who is the wrongest? I say Ellie and Beth. It's a toss up b/c I loved Olivia Colman and Jodie Whittaker so much in BC.

Because I can watch it 'on demand' when I can't sleep...yep I'll probably watch.  BC on the other hand drew me in from the get go and there's no way I'd not watch every episode.  If GP was new and did not have DT I don't think I'd go out of my way to watch it.

I will join you in scrutinizing DT's accent and yes, I too will probably watch just to compare and complain! 

I'm not sure who is the wrongest for me...so many possibilities to choose from!

There's Couch Tuner, but it's not for everyone and you won't hurt my feelings if you don't want to watch Broadchurch there, or at all. Well, the former is true, lol. If you do use Couch Tuner, you do NOT have to download or give credit card info to watch it  

So, does anyone know of a place to watch Broadchurch?

ETA 10/11/14: Couch Tuner has some raunchy pix on the side sometimes and I accidently hit something today and opened up a new window that showed all manner of human anatomy. UGH. So, you might want to watch BC another way. When BC epi 6 got audio and video out of synch on CouchTuner, I just googled it and found another free source w/o all the trouble.

See the link in my quote above about viewing Broadchurch on Couch Tuner. You do *NOT* need to enter credit info, register, give an email address, or even open another window. Watch for free. Free, I tell you. Click on the link, when it opens click on Broadchurch episode 1 (at the bottom, I think), Watch as it loads, and you should see on the screen somewhere near the top a gray/white X. Sometimes it's over the blue GO PREMIUM button. Click on that X, and then click play. If it opens another window, try again. You should be able to watch it right there in that window.

The great thing about my discovering that show a few months ago (thanks to a friend who has gotten me hooked on more than one British show!) is that I didn't have to wait weeks - or years - Mark Gatiss, I'm looking at you  :glare: to see the next episode. I could watch it all marathon style.  

Notice Gracepoint is on Couch Tuner too. Last week when I watched GP epi 1 on the Fox site, it said it would be up for 60ish days. 

I finally got to watch (I always have to watch it delayed because I don't want my 9yo watching with me) and so far I have no opinion. I also think the backpacker is a red herring. I don't want it to be Nick Nolte's character--I also didn't want it to be him in BC. Years ago I worked with an older, single man who generally liked kids but wouldn't get involved with them in any way for fear that something would happen to one of them and he'd be suspect simply because he's an older, single man. When I see that character I think of him.

I can't remember in BC but was Paul more than a friend to Beth? I don't remember it that way in BC but they're definitely leading you that way in GP. I liked Ellie a bit more this episode. GP Susan is still creepy. And I keep wondering if they want you to think it's Mark but then it's not Mark because that's too obvious but then it's so obvious people will think it can't be Mark because that's too obvious . . . but then it is. Did that make sense? :D

I finally got to watch (I always have to watch it delayed because I don't want my 9yo watching with me) and so far I have no opinion. I also think the backpacker is a red herring. I don't want it to be Nick Nolte's character--I also didn't want it to be him in BC. Years ago I worked with an older, single man who generally liked kids but wouldn't get involved with them in any way for fear that something would happen to one of them and he'd be suspect simply because he's an older, single man. When I see that character I think of him.

I can't remember in BC but was Paul more than a friend to Beth? I don't remember it that way in BC but they're definitely leading you that way in GP. I liked Ellie a bit more this episode. GP Susan is still creepy. And I keep wondering if they want you to think it's Mark but then it's not Mark because that's too obvious but then it's so obvious people will think it can't be Mark because that's too obvious . . . but then it is. Did that make sense? :D

I didn't want it to be Jack in BC either. I'm still not very attached to anyone yet. And my bad feelings for GP Ellie are only stronger after the 2nd episode.

No, I don't think Rory the vicar was as close to Beth in BC as this priest is w/ Beth. There is a story there: noticing that Mark's tie matched Beth's dress at the Easter service, yet the condolences book dates Danny's death in February. Oh, yeah, he carries a torch for Beth!

I'm leaning towards Tom this time. I didn't want it to be in BC, and don't want it to be him or any child in GP, but that's how I'm leaning. 

Now, the important question: is DT wearing a wig? The coloring looks right, but the hair lies so strangely, I think it's a wig and I'm distracted by that. 

I'm leaning towards Tom this time. I didn't want it to be in BC, and don't want it to be him or any child in GP, but that's how I'm leaning. 

Now, the important question: is DT wearing a wig? The coloring looks right, but the hair lies so strangely, I think it's a wig and I'm distracted by that. 

Interestingly I also had a notion that maybe it's Tom. But didn't they say it was man-sized hands that strangled him? That's what made me think it couldn't be him then. Maybe they're saying it will be a different ending just to throw us off the scent and it will end up being the same ending after all. ha ha

A wig? I'm going to have to watch again. Maybe the hair people thought they'd do up his hair weird as part of his scruffy look.

Oh, and what was that part in the bathroom? Was he giving himself an insulin injection? I thought epi-pen at first but those inject themselves, don't they? And he was pushing down on the plunger.

And Susan's still creepy. :laugh:

And I still don't like that other reporter. :glare:

It was the sister's boyfriend. The 3 boys were in together on the drug thing but Danny wanted out . . . and the sister didn't even know anything about it all! She's going to be something to watch when she finds out, though.

:laugh: Ok, that's the best I can come up with for now. Yeah, I was never going to be a writer, even though I dreamed of it as a kid. :laugh:

Interestingly I also had a notion that maybe it's Tom. But didn't they say it was man-sized hands that strangled him? That's what made me think it couldn't be him then. Maybe they're saying it will be a different ending just to throw us off the scent and it will end up being the same ending after all. ha ha

A wig? I'm going to have to watch again. Maybe the hair people thought they'd do up his hair weird as part of his scruffy look.

Oh, and what was that part in the bathroom? Was he giving himself an insulin injection? I thought epi-pen at first but those inject themselves, don't they? And he was pushing down on the plunger.

And Susan's still creepy. :laugh:

And I still don't like that other reporter. :glare:

Missed the part about the man-sized hands. 

Re: the wig. I thought it might be like Jim from The Office (not sure how reliable that source is, though, I think I heard about the wig on the commentary on a dvd). IIRC John Krasinski wore a wig b/c he was filming other things, so they made a Jim wig for his Office filming.

I meant to post the same thing about the injection! In BC it was his heart, but I guess he's diabetic in GP? Or was it an epi pen? I need some answers.

GP Susan is creepy, but the BC one was icy and evil. I don't like Ollie or the other reporter. 

I've been watching BC today (and napping), and just re-watched the bar scene w/ Beth. Man, that actress is great. 

See the link in my quote above about viewing Broadchurch on Couch Tuner. You do *NOT* need to enter credit info, register, give an email address, or even open another window. Watch for free. Free, I tell you. Click on the link, when it opens click on Broadchurch episode 1 (at the bottom, I think), Watch as it loads, and you should see on the screen somewhere near the top a gray/white X. Sometimes it's over the blue GO PREMIUM button. Click on that X, and then click play. If it opens another window, try again. You should be able to watch it right there in that window.

The great thing about my discovering that show a few months ago (thanks to a friend who has gotten me hooked on more than one British show!) is that I didn't have to wait weeks - or years - Mark Gatiss, I'm looking at you :glare: to see the next episode. I could watch it all marathon style.

Notice Gracepoint is on Couch Tuner too. Last week when I watched GP epi 1 on the Fox site, it said it would be up for 60ish days.

I've been binging this weekend on Broadchurch! It is awesome.

The first time I tried the couch tuner site, I didn't click on that black X first and it took me to different sites/opened new windows. One was really raunchy with full frontal naked men. Eeek! Just a warning to click on the X on top of the small viewing box first. And if other windows open, don't go there.

Yes, I almost went back and edited my posts on this thread about Couch Tuner. Just went back and edited my posts on this thread where I recommend Couch Tuner. I was watching on my iPad. I know to click the X and yet, I must have hit something and saw some things that will give me bad dreams!

BC epi 6 had the audio and video out of synch after about 5 minutes, so I just googled BC epi 6 and watched that way. No bad stuff there. Whew. Sorry about that!

I have binged too and only have the last episode left! I want to buy the dvd of BC. It's my favorite drama tv series of all time. 

Yes, I almost went back and edited my posts on this thread about Couch Tuner. I was watching on my iPad. I know to click the X and yet, I must have hit something and saw some things that will give me bad dreams!

BC epi 6 had the audio and video out of synch after about 5 minutes, so I just googled BC epi 6 and watched that way. No bad stuff there. Whew. Sorry about that!

I have binged too and only have the last episode left! I want to buy the dvd of BC. It's my favorite drama tv series of all time.

Wow...how funny is this: I'm on episode 6 and the exact same thing happened! I stopped it and I can't get it to load again.

So where did you watch episode 6?

Wow...how funny is this: I'm on episode 6 and the exact same thing happened! I stopped it and I can't get it to load again.

So where did you watch episode 6?

Right here. I vaguely recall that happening when I first watched BC a few months ago. If you're brave enough to use CouchTuner again, there are tabs above the "screen" where the show plays, so you could try another tab. I think we settled on one w/ subtitles back when we first watched. However, the link above (in this post) gave me no trouble of any kind. 

Right here. I vaguely recall that happening when I first watched BC a few months ago. If you're brave enough to use CouchTuner again, there are tabs above the "screen" where the show plays, so you could try another tab. I think we settled on one w/ subtitles back when we first watched. However, the link above (in this post) gave me no trouble of any kind.

Did you have to register for that link? All these other windows keep popping up, saying I have to register.

Did you have to register for that link? All these other windows keep popping up, saying I have to register.

No! Sorry. I don't even have to X out of anything. Just hit the arrow and it plays. I never register or give any info on any site to watch anything other than Amazon Prime and Netflix, of course.

Keep googling. I hope you find it! Let me know, OK? I'm obsessing about enjoying re-watching BC right now and I'm glad I'm not alone, lol. 

You all make me want to binge rewatch Broadchurch. But alas, the NLCS is on, and I have a huge stack of Dresden Files books I'm working my way through. I have to settle for listening (whoa, that almost autocorrected to lusting, Freudian phone) to David Tennant in the How to Train Your Dragon audiobooks on car rides. Thank goodness the kids love them. The car rides are much more pleasant lately.

No! Sorry. I don't even have to X out of anything. Just hit the arrow and it plays. I never register or give any info on any site to watch anything other than Amazon Prime and Netflix, of course.

Keep googling. I hope you find it! Let me know, OK? I'm obsessing about enjoying re-watching BC right now and I'm glad I'm not alone, lol.

I just watched episode 6 with the dialogue out of sync. I was getting too frustrated to wait!!!

I hope epi 7 is OK!

I keep talking about Jodie Whittaker's great acting (BC Beth), but, wow, Olivia Colman (BC Ellie) in epi 8? Amazing!!!

Unsinkable, I will buy BC on dvd and you come over and watch it with me.

Aww, thanks Angie!

After Epi 7 wouldn't load faster than old dial-up speed (hahahahaha) I bought both 7 and 8 on iTunes.

I finished the series and I am just wrung. out. Oh my goodness. I feel empty inside.

All those layers and secrets. And connections. And betrayals.

I'm glad I watched but I do feel wiped out.

Aww, thanks Angie!

After Epi 7 wouldn't load faster than old dial-up speed (hahahahaha) I bought both 7 and 8 on iTunes.

I finished the series and I am just wrung. out. Oh my goodness. I feel empty inside.

All those layers and secrets. And connections. And betrayals.

I'm glad I watched but I do feel wiped out.

I felt that way too. I had to take a little while to process before I was ready to read or watch anything else.  Poor dh just shook his head. He doesn't understand how a person can be so strongly affected by fictional characters.

On a side note, apparently Brotherman takes after me. We just read Bridge to Terabithia for language arts last week. He cried when Leslie died. First time for something like that.

Yeah, the first time through is exhausting. It was months before I would watch anything new. Just light comedy reruns till I recoered.

Now, you are totally ruined for Gracepoint, lol. I am trying hard to look at it at as totally different show, but I am bad at it.

That's OK. I would rather be ruined for Gracepoint than never have seen Braodchurch, KWIM?

I felt that way too. I had to take a little while to process before I was ready to read or watch anything else. Poor dh just shook his head. He doesn't understand how a person can be so strongly affected by fictional characters.

On a side note, apparently Brotherman takes after me. We just read Bridge to Terabithia for language arts last week. He cried when Leslie died. First time for something like that.

I was on a first date with some guy, and it turned out to be the only date. We were at a movie and I started crying over something...just a few tears rolling down my face, not making any noise...and he leaned over and whispered, "you know this is just a movie, right?"

:lol: Uh, yeah. Buh-bye. Just drop me at the end of my driveway. No need to park or walk me to the door.

"Just a movie" ! The nerve!

That's OK. I would rather be ruined for Gracepoint than never have seen Braodchurch, KWIM?

And this is why you are my soul sister! Now, what do we have to do to get Mom in High Heels hooked on this show?

I was on a first date with some guy, and it turned out to be the only date. We were at a movie and I started crying over something...just a few tears rolling down my face, not making any noise...and he leaned over and whispered, "you know this is just a movie, right?"

:lol: Uh, yeah. Buh-bye. Just drop me at the end of my driveway. No need to park or walk me to the door.

"Just a movie" ! The nerve!

Yeah, buh-bye! Look here re: crying at movies. Again, I say: soul sister!

I had read that in the original (Broadchurch) that even the actors didn't know who the killer was until they got that week's script.

I think Gracepoint is the same.  I think it's going to be a different killer and they will keep you guessing until the end.

Yeah, I read that too. Kind of like the death of Henry Blake on M*A*S*H. 

I wonder if they will give as many clues in GP as they did in BC? 

Not having seen BC (I know, I know), I don't have the problem many of you have been having.  I watched the first 2 eps today, and thought it wasn't too bad. Having read all your comments though, I'm stressing out on who's going to turn out to be the killer.

OK, Gracepoint, episode 2. Who is your suspect so far?

I'm not sure, but I do suspect the backpacker is a red herring.

I suspect the priest (preacher).  I don't like him.

It was the sister's boyfriend. The 3 boys were in together on the drug thing but Danny wanted out . . . and the sister didn't even know anything about it all! She's going to be something to watch when she finds out, though.

:laugh: Ok, that's the best I can come up with for now. Yeah, I was never going to be a writer, even though I dreamed of it as a kid. :laugh:

Interesting.

Yeah, I read that too. Kind of like the death of Henry Blake on M*A*S*H. 

I wonder if they will give as many clues in GP as they did in BC? 

OMG, the death of Henry was traumatizing.  I totally remember that from when I was a little kid, and recently watched it again, and even though I knew it was coming, I was still shocked.  How weird is that?

Not having seen BC (I know, I know), I don't have the problem many of you have been having. I watched the first 2 eps today, and thought it wasn't too bad. Having read all your comments though, I'm stressing out on who's going to turn out to be the killer.

I suspect the priest (preacher). I don't like him.

OMG, the death of Henry was traumatizing. I totally remember that from when I was a little kid, and recently watched it again, and even though I knew it was coming, I was still shocked. How weird is that?

High Heels, what will it take to get you to go watch Broadchurch right this minute? At least start?

And can anyone believe I'm having to talk her into this? Girl! You slay me! I am in shock. Nothing makes sense anymore. World, hell, handbasket!

High Heels, what will it take to get you to go watch Broadchurch right this minute? At least start?

And can anyone believe I'm having to talk her into this? Girl! You slay me! I am in shock. Nothing makes sense anymore. World, hell, handbasket!

No I will, but right now, since I've started watching GP, I don't want to confuse myself.  Since it's gotten so much praise here, I have to watch it.  I think it was in my Netflix queue even before I heard about GP, I just hadn't gotten around to it, because I was watching Orange is the New Black, The Paradise (WHY don't they have S2???), and Haven. 

No I will, but right now, since I've started watching GP, I don't want to confuse myself.  Since it's gotten so much praise here, I have to watch it.  I think it was in my Netflix queue even before I heard about GP, I just hadn't gotten around to it, because I was watching Orange is the New Black, The Paradise (WHY don't they have S2???), and Haven. 

I will just have to live w/ this, my new normal, a world where High Heels watches American shows before watching their British forerunners. Even though Benedict Cumberbatch was in neither Broadchurch nor Gracepoint, I might rat you out to him. Just sayin'. 

I will just have to live w/ this, my new normal, a world where High Heels watches American shows before watching their British forerunners. Even though Benedict Cumberbatch was in neither Broadchurch nor Gracepoint, I might rat you out to him. Just sayin'. 

I know, I've turned your world upside down, and I apologize.  I swear I will watch Broadchurch, and then tell you how superior it is, and that I should have listened to you, thus proving your superiority in TV selection.  Does that make you feel better?  Also, please don't tell Benny on me!  I can't bear the complete and utter humiliation.

Anyone still watching? 

Finally saw episode 3. Nothing to see here . . . move along. :p

I've watched episode one and two and curiosity is the only thing making me consider watching again.

I can "feel" everyone acting...ugh.

Dh and I just watched episode 3 last night. I have one word for this series: flat, flat, flat, flat, flat.

And yet...I continue to watch.