Menu

Gracepoint (and Broadchurch) *Spoilers*

Angie in VA

Here's an article comparing Gracepoint to Broadchurch, and here is a quote: 

Indeed, if you're a fan of "Broadchurch," "Gracepoint" is practically poisonous. Even the cliffs are less dramatic.

I don't know why it had to be redone. I mean, aren't there 1 or 2 Americans who like British shows? Maybe one who likes Doctor Who and another who likes Sherlock???   :glare: 

This is a X-post: here and the Diogenes Social Group. 

Subject line edited on 10/21/14 which said:

Gracepoint: the premiere airs tonight on FOX. Check out this comparison to Broadchurch.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I realized they were exactly the same show with the exception of American actors, I decided to skip it despite how much I love to watch David Tennant. If they had kept the same premise but wrote a different story, I'd have tuned in.

I truly don't understand why they are doing this at all. I'm pretty sure anyone who wanted to watch Broadchurch already has. And why not just reshow Broadchurch for that matter? I'm sure it would be less expensive to buy it from the BBC than it was to reshoot the whole thing.

When I realized they were exactly the same show with the exception of American actors, I decided to skip it despite how much I love to watch David Tennant. If they had kept the same premise but wrote a different story, I'd have tuned in.

I truly don't understand why they are doing this at all. I'm pretty sure anyone who wanted to watch Broadchurch already has. And why not just reshow Broadchurch for that matter? I'm sure it would be less expensive to buy it from the BBC than it was to reshoot the whole thing.

:iagree:

But in the original, the killer being who it was was part of what made it so good. I'm not sure keepingthe same story and just changing the ending will have the same effect or weight of the first. That said I will probably watch because, y'know, David Tennant. ;-)

I thought I was going to go ahead and watch it, but I read several reviews that said it's great... unless you've already seen Broadchurch. Then it's just wrong. So yeah, despite David Tennant, I'm also going to pass.

I'm skeptical enough about the second series of Broadchurch.

I agree.   Why??? why??  Makes no sense... and I'll admit I'm rather disappointed in Tennant for taking it on.  Did he really need the money and exposure to an American audience?

I have not seen Broadchurch, though it's been on my TBW list forever, but I plan to give Gracepoint a go. I didn't know they were the same story.  I don't get why they are remaking it, unless it's to appeal to those who don't watch British shows. FTR, I love so many British shows!  I'm currently watching The Paradise on Netflix, Call of the Midwife and the Duchess of Duke St.  British TV is good!

Sorry 

I have not seen Broadchurch, though it's been on my TBW list forever, but I plan to give Gracepoint a go. I didn't know they were the same story.  I don't get why they are remaking it, unless it's to appeal to those who don't watch British shows. FTR, I love so many British shows!  I'm currently watching The Paradise on Netflix, Call of the Midwife and the Duchess of Duke St.  British TV is good!

Sorry 

You're not watching the British version first? I'm floored!

I agree.   Why??? why??  Makes no sense... and I'll admit I'm rather disappointed in Tennant for taking it on.  Did he really need the money and exposure to an American audience?

I will fangirl for David Tennant with the best of them, but seriously, have you seen some of the films he has been in? I don't think he is particularly discriminating. He jokes about how he literally leaves the set for one project and arrives at the next, and I think...yeah, it shows.

He is starting to remind me of Michael Caine...a great actor but a career with some odd choices.

And everyone wants to come here and be Hugh Laurie. US TV is the big bucks, second only to landing a big action film franchise.

I will fangirl for David Tennant with the best of them, but seriously, have you seen some of the films he has been in? I don't think he is particularly discriminating. He jokes about how he literally leaves the set for one project and arrives at the next, and I think...yeah, it shows.

He is starting to remind me of Michael Caine...a great actor but a career with some odd choices.

And everyone wants to come here and be Hugh Laurie. US TV is the big bucks, second only to landing a big action film franchise.

The only other things I've seen him in recently besides Broadchurch is the one where he played the lawyer who defended an pschyopath.  He went free only to go and kill Tennant's wife and... .well, I don't know actually because when I saw that coming we decided it wasn't for us.   It looked promising, but I didn't want to go through scary torture of women and children scenes either.  Don't remember the name.    I'll have to go check out his IMDB list and see what he's been up to. 

The only other things I've seen him in recently besides Broadchurch is the one where he played the lawyer who defended an pschyopath.  He went free only to go and kill Tennant's wife and... .well, I don't know actually because when I saw that coming we decided it wasn't for us.   It looked promising, but I didn't want to go through scary torture of women and children scenes either.  Don't remember the name.    I'll have to go check out his IMDB list and see what he's been up to. 

Are you thinking of The Escape Artist?   It's a three part series and available on Amazon prime.   I was hesitant to watch it, but it wasn't particularly gruesome.  It was overwhelmingly sad, though.   The best part to me was the last episode.  You might want to give it a try.

It's an abomination. 

As were the American versions of The Office, Top Gear, Life on Mars and countless other perfectly good British shows.  They even speak English for goodness' sake!  What do US networks think American audiences do not understand about perfectly good British shows that they have to do craptacular revisions of them all?  

Are you thinking of The Escape Artist?   It's a three part series and available on Amazon prime.   I was hesitant to watch it, but it wasn't particularly gruesome.  It was overwhelmingly sad, though.   The best part to me was the last episode.  You might want to give it a try.

okay, I may give it a try... I was worried the gruesome parts would be particularly long and graphic. 

I agree! This makes no sense at all. The commercials are all, "you will never guess who did it," I know who did it because I already watched the show!

It's an abomination. 

As were the American versions of The Office, Top Gear, Life on Mars and countless other perfectly good British shows.  They even speak English for goodness' sake!  What do US networks think American audiences do not understand about perfectly good British shows that they have to do craptacular revisions of them all?  

To me it speaks of the wasteland that is writing in American entertainment (Hollywood). Anything that is good across the pond they just take and regurgitate.   It is one thing if it happened every once and a while, but it seems to happen far too often.

Of course, the Brits did take Wallander & Maigret and remade it themselves. 

I think the story is different. The ending is not the same, there is a different killer, for example.

And there are lots of people I know who haven't ever heard of Broadchurch but might watch this.

I thought they were using the same script? I am not sure how you would use the same (or virtually the same) script with a different killer? I caught who the killer was after a Chekov's unnecessarily nasty comment. ;)

I thought they were using the same script? I am not sure how you would use the same (or virtually the same) script with a different killer? I caught who the killer was after a Chekov's unnecessarily nasty comment. ;)

The author said even with Broadchurch he could have gone with any number of people for the killer. He just 'told a different story' with Gracepoint. Same thing with the second season of Broadchurch, he had lots of different stories to tell and he just picked one for the second season.

That's what writers, especially TV and movie writers do, they can come up with lots of different stories for a large cast of characters, so it doesn't see like that big a deal to me.

I assume they offered him a boatload of cash.

He already has a fanbase here and with Doctor Who becoming even more popular in the US (one can actually find the toys in regular big box stores now....weird) the market is just awaiting him with open arms.

The Office is the only American remake I can think of that I liked better than the original. I may watch the first episode out of curiosity but don't understand at all why Gracepoint is needed.

My opinion is that British shows take more time to build the overall story and underlying emotions, which is deemed slow by American standards. Personally, I like the depth of the British shows and the chararcters who look like real people instead of fashion plates.

The Escape Artist.  I enjoyed that.  He was very good.

There were so many things about Broadchurch that made it good.  The tight filming, the very realistic actors (everyone's emotions were raw, I don't believe I've ever seen that on a US tv series), the places that looked real, like the small house, the tight and slightly out of date police station, even the church.  US shows try and made inside look wider/bigger.  

I have zero confindence that a US production could pull it off.  The trailers I've seen make it look typically "American" in it's filming and acting.  Just too polished.  

I will not watch (in case that wasn't obvious. :D )

My opinion is that British shows take more time to build the overall story and underlying emotions, which is deemed slow by American standards. Personally, I like the depth of the British shows and the chararcters who look like real people instead of fashion plates.

I think they also do more plot devlopment with the cinematography and a bit less talking. Dh remembered the visual aspect of the beginning of Broadchurch and Gracepoint seemed to lack the same visual punch at the start. I didn't care for the casting when it came to Danny's father or Jack Marshall. IMO, David Bradley was much better and I can't remember who played Danny's father, but again, he was much better.

*******SPOILERS for Broadchurch and Gracepoint**************

Again, I say:   S P O I L E R S. This post is for those who've seen both.

I recognized Nick Nolte by his voice before I recognized his face. I only know him and David Tennant in GP.

GP's Ellie is not as likeable! She and DT's character are too alike (and not just their names, Emmett Carver, Ellie Miller vs. Alec Hardy, Ellie Miller.) These two characters should be juxtaposed. They are not.

Also, I know there's talk that they'll change the killer, but they have to, b/c we don't care about Ellie as much, and that was part of the blow when the killer was revealed in BC.

GP omitted the scene when Mark is going to the morgue to see Danny and sees a friend who wants him to sign a petition. Yes, you already suspect Mark, but you have compassion for him in that moment. It's awful, for the viewer and for Ellie, seeing Mark get asked to do something so normal when he's on the way to ID his dead son. I think the guy even asks something like, "You're not here for anything bad, I hope?" The friend goes on and on about a soccer match or getting together at a pub, and it's so poignant.

*******SPOILERS for Broadchurch and Gracepoint**************

Again, I say:   S P O I L E R S. This post is for those who've seen both.

GP's Ellie is not as likeable! She and DT's character are too alike (and not just their names, Emmett Carver, Ellie Miller vs. Alec Hardy, Ellie Miller.) These two characters should be juxtaposed. They are not.

Also, I know there's talk that they'll change the killer, but they have to, b/c we don't care about Ellie as much, and that was part of the blow when the killer was revealed in BC.

I finally got to watch the first episode and this--about Ellie not being as likeable--is what struck me most. Is it the writing or the actress? And the scene with her husband and son didn't have any feeling to it.

I grinned every time I heard DT's accent coming through. I don't like how his voice is higher-pitched. I guess it helps him do the American accent?

I'm not excited about this version, so far, but I will probably watch it all just to see how it's done.

I finally got to watch the first episode and this--about Ellie not being as likeable--is what struck me most. Is it the writing or the actress? And the scene with her husband and son didn't have any feeling to it.

I grinned every time I heard DT's accent coming through. I don't like how his voice is higher-pitched. I guess it helps him do the American accent?

I'm not excited about this version, so far, but I will probably watch it all just to see how it's done.

Yeah, me too. I'll probably keep watching despite my complaints. 

What words give away DT's accent? When I saw the trailer I thought I heard it on "killer" in the press conference. Maybe the different pitch is how he pulls it off, like you said.

What words give away DT's accent? When I saw the trailer I thought I heard it on "killer" in the press conference. Maybe the different pitch is how he pulls it off, like you said.

Speaking of ex-Time Lords and their accents, Christoper Eccleston's American accent in The Leftovers is horrendous. But the Master's in The Intruders is quite well done.

I watched it and enjoyed it. I watched it twice, once with the sound off becuase i really wanted to see the looks on people's faces without hearing their words. I never saw Broadchurch and don't have access to watch it now.

I didn't know Anna Gunn was in it and when I said, "oh, Anna Gunn is in this!" My son, who is a Breaking Bad fan, said in a happy, excited tone:

"Oh, wow! That absolutely sucks!" It was so funny because his tone was completely opposite of his words. He is not a Gunn fan.

I watched it and enjoyed it. I watched it twice, once with the sound off becuase i really wanted to see the looks on people's faces without hearing their words. I never saw Broadchurch and don't have access to watch it now.

I didn't know Anna Gunn was in it and when I said, "oh, Anna Gunn is in this!" My son, who is a Breaking Bad fan, said in a happy, excited tone:

"Oh, wow! That absolutely sucks!" It was so funny because his tone was completely opposite of his words. He is not a Gunn fan.

ETA 10/11/14: Couch Tuner has some raunchy pix on the side sometimes and I accidently hit something today and opened up a new window that showed all manner of human anatomy. UGH. So, you might want to watch BC another way. When BC epi 6 got audio and video out of synch on CouchTuner, I just googled it and found another free source w/o all the trouble.

There's Couch Tuner, but it's not for everyone and you won't hurt my feelings if you don't want to watch Broadchurch there, or at all. Well, the former is true, lol. If you do use Couch Tuner, you do NOT have to download or give credit card info to watch it  

Now, which one is Anna Gunn? Oh, I see. She's that cold, impersonal, not nearly as loveable as Oliva Colman Ellie on GP.

For now, I'm in for David Tennant. 

Yeah, me too. I'll probably keep watching despite my complaints. 

Can't remember now. Early on he said "everything" or maybe it was "everyone"--the initial e. There were a couple others; the vowels. He must have done ok with the r's because they don't stand out to me.

I remember watching the pilot of Inspector Lewis and being so confused because there was reference to one character's American girlfriend and I didn't hear any American accent. After watching a second time I finally picked out who was supposed to be the American but she couldn't get the r's, which was why I never guessed she was supposed to be American.

I watched the first 10 minutes or so, and that's enough for me. I realized when they found Danny on the beach that I have no desire to subject myself to that bleak plot again, even out of curiosity. Broadchurch is a good show, but it's also rather heavy and distressing.

It took me a long time to get past Broadchurch. I would only watch light comedies for a long time afterwards. I was surprised I could get through BC at all, really from the get go, but it drew me in. 

It took me a long time to get past Broadchurch. I would only watch light comedies for a long time afterwards. I was surprised I could get through BC at all, really from the get go, but it drew me in. 

I agree.  It was a hard show to watch... the strength of the acting and compelling writing is what kept me coming.  The subject matter was distressing and so very sad. 

I watched it and enjoyed it. I watched it twice, once with the sound off becuase i really wanted to see the looks on people's faces without hearing their words. 

I meant to address this. Many moons ago I took an ASL class and one of our assignments was to watch a show w/ the sound off. If you want to see great acting, you really should see Broadchurch. Sound or no sound, BC's Beth's reaction on the beach was some great acting. 

I agree. It was a hard show to watch... the strength of the acting and compelling writing is what kept me coming. The subject matter was distressing and so very sad.

Yes, very. I've read and watched a lot of murder mysteries, but this one hit me much harder than anything else I can think of. Beth ripped my heart out.

Ok, I thought of something else that's bugging me about this remake. Some of the actors in GP are look-alikes for the BC characters and it might not have been the best choice. I'm thinking particularly of the women who play Susan. In BC Susan just has this look, like she knows something . . . something deep . . . and she wants to be left alone. She projects a sort of darkness. So far in GP the woman who, I assume, plays Susan--because she looks a bit like the BC woman--just has this creepy smile when we see her. Creepy in a sort of creepy clown/Chucky sort of way.

Maybe this look-alike thing is why that actress was chosen for Ellie. Because she looks almost sort of similar--like if you squint and cross your eyes. ha ha. But I just get no warmth and genuineness from GP Ellie like I did from BC Ellie.

I thought I was going to watch GP with an open mind about the remake but I'm not doing a very good job with that. :D