Menu

Dr. Hive - Do I need a tetanus shot?

texasmama

I vote no, but I am not a medical professional.  Sigh.

This evening I stuck my hand in the trash and cut it on dh's freshly opened soup can.  It was not too deep - about two inches long.  It bled nicely, I swabbed it with betadine, glued the edges together with superglue and put Bactroban on it, then covered it with two bandaids.  My hands were clean when I got the cut.    (Hadn't been outside digging in the garden and had washed them recently.)  The can was just opened.

My last tetanus shot might possibly have been 20-25 years ago.  I do not want a tetanus shot "just in case".  My visit and the shot for wherever I go will be out of pocket, and I don't want to go to a doc in the box or to my own doc and expose myself to terrible germs for a "just in case".

From what I can google, this does not sound like a high risk for tetanus, but if some medical folks can please weigh in, I think I might feel better.  :)

I'm not a medical person, but I wouldn't get a tetanus shot for that.

Me, either, but then I wondered if that was prudent.   Google was not a ton of help, but it did say that you get tetanus from dirt and feces, and there was not any dirt or feces involved.  I had just gotten back from errands so I had washed my hands really well and they were extra clean. 

Every time I look up similar, the medical refrain is to have a tetanus booster shot every ten years. Using superglue on a wound would concern me.

Hope you heal soon!

That's what they do in the ERs so I figure it's okay.  I did it to stop the bleeding and knit the edges together, but I could have probably gone without it just fine.  It wasn't deep.

That's what they do in the ERs so I figure it's okay. I did it to stop the bleeding and knit the edges together, but I could have probably gone without it just fine. It wasn't deep.

I was thinking that the hospital version would be sterile, in contrast to the hardware store product.

Given the clean scenario you describe, and the shallow wound, you probably will be fine. When a mandoline removed a chunk from my finger, I had no choice about receiving the tetanus booster!

The superglue is fine. If you haven't had a tetanus shot in the past ten years, then yes, you need one. But not specifically because of this injury.

Agree with this.....you should get a tetanus shot anyway if it's been 20+ years. Here, our pharmacies, like Target, Walgreens, etc. offer them without an appointment.

I would keep a close eye on it. I cut my finger on scissors recently, cleaned it thoroughly, used Neosporin and steristrips, then cleaned it everyday and put on new dressing. After I thought it was healing well, it turned res and the skin started peeling from staph.

I share this only to warn you to be very cautious (which you already are), and see doc for any funkiness right away.

(Funkiness may not be the medical terminology used by those with fancy licenses.)

Feel better!!

Agree with this.....you should get a tetanus shot anyway if it's been 20+ years. Here, our pharmacies, like Target, Walgreens, etc. offer them without an appointment.

Yep. And they are usually pretty cheap. Another option might be to check out your county health clinic. If you *have* one, vaccinations are usually quite cheap. 

ETA: For the record, I superglue cuts all the time. 

I'd see if you can get a tetanus shot anyway.  My local pharmacy offers them for $15.

Several years ago our internist told me about a patient of his who got tetanus.  They weren't 100% sure how it happened because they didn't have any major cuts, although they had been digging in the garden off and on before then.  By the time it was caught the person had to go to the ICU, and they ultimately didn't survive.  From what they knew, it had been 15 years since the person had a booster.

He said that was the first case that he had ever seen, even in medical school and 25 years of practice.  And it really shook him up.

ummm..yes, since it has been so long since you've had one.

I jabbed a straight pin into my elbow about 1/2 an inch and had to have one.

Who knew?

ITA with those who said, yes you need it, not necessarily for this cut, but you do need it.

Call the health dept. They may even offer it there.

I'd get one, if it's been that long.

I have heard many people say, oh, it's not necessary -- because no one gets tetanus anymore.

People don't get it much anymore because most people have had the booster shot in the past ten years.

And tetanus tends to be lethal.  Or at least involve an expensive hospital stay (if the big concern is trying to keep costs low).  It's not in the same category of risks as when one decides whether or not to get a flu shot.  Tetanus has a much, much higher mortality rate. 

It's not something I would mess with.  If you can get it cheap at a pharmacy, go that route.

However, I know that we can go in and get vaccinations at our dr without a full dr appt.  So if our insurance didn't cover the shots (although it does) we could get it for only the cost of the shot.  (But I have a suspicion that it might cost a bit less at a pharmacy)

The cut you describe is not likely to introduce tetanus, but it COULD.  Actually any cut could.  And given that the alternative IF it turned out you needed the shot and didn't get it was death, I'd kind of tend to want the shot.

It might cost something now, but you'll be protected for a full 10 years.

If you had gone to a dr about the cut, they would have glued you back together (probably superglue....) and insisted you get a tetanus shot.  That would be the medical advice.  (Least, that's what's happened to me and my husband when things like this have come up -- even with cuts that bleed like crazy.  Drs don't like to take chances with tetanus)

From the CDC website: With appropriate intensive care, the ultimate mortality rate of tetanus in the United States has been reduced greatly. The overall case-fatality rate in the United States has declined from 91% in 1947, to 24% during 1989 to 1991, to 11% during 1995 to 1997.

Yeah, so it's not so lethal as it once was, but still.....

Okay, I just called the local small (non chain) pharmacy that fills my B12 injection script, and the tetanus only is $35.  I will spring for that today.  I prefer that to the health department.

Thanks for the ideas and information.  Without the hive, I would have not thought of this solution.

Okay, I just called the local small (non chain) pharmacy that fills my B12 injection script, and the tetanus only is $35.  I will spring for that today.  I prefer that to the health department.

Thanks for the ideas and information.  Without the hive, I would have not thought of this solution.

Sounds good.  Tetanus is a must have shot for us - keeping it in date.  One never knows... and it's far better to be safe than sorry IMO.

I vote yes.  It's not worth the cost of an ER visit, but if you can get into the clinic today, I'd do it.  It's time for one anyway.

(I just read your last post and it looks like that's what you've decided to do.)

I told my dh that The Well Trained Mind told me I needed a tetanus shot, so it seemed the prudent thing to do. lol

It is done.  No wait, not far from home, supporting a family-owned business, and now I will not die of tetanus.  Win-win. :)

I'm glad you decided to get the shot, it is worth keeping up to date as tetanus is really, really nasty if you do happen to get it. And better yet if you get the combination shot that includes pertussis as that helps protect not just you but everyone you may come in contact with, especially babies who are too young for the vaccine and suffer the most from the illness.

Good for you!

When I had my "puncture wound" sewing injury, the dr was aghast that I couldn't remember my last tetanus shot. She knew we farmed and she went "What!!! You HAVE to have a tetanus shot. Really!!!"

I recently thought to update mine because I've cut my finger with my rotary cutter few times while quilting! Funny how this domestic stuff gets us, isn't it?

I'm glad you decided to get the shot, it is worth keeping up to date as tetanus is really, really nasty if you do happen to get it. And better yet if you get the combination shot that includes pertussis as that helps protect not just you but everyone you may come in contact with, especially babies who are too young for the vaccine and suffer the most from the illness.

My mom had whooping cough last year.  It wasn't pretty and took her a LONG time to get well.  I'll vote with you that it's best to get tetanus with pertussis if possible.

My date for updating tetanus is pretty to remember.  I got bitten by a dog while pregnant with youngest in 1995 and recall questioning if it was safe while I was pregnant.  So, as long as I can remember his birth year, I just add 10.

No clue how to remember 2024... but Texasmama, if you can remember this conversation happening in 2014 (it IS a major event in your life, right?   :laugh: ), then just add 10.