Menu

5:2 Support Thread

mommymilkies

Anyone interested?   :)

I figured I should give it a try.  I tried one week and failed, so here I go again!  I have 20 lbs to lose.  I am going to do two days a week with 650 or less calories and under 65 carbs.  

So far today:

coffee with 2 oz milk, 6 chocolate chips and whipped cream (measured and equal to 80 calories)

1/2 cup cottage cheese with 5 grapes (120 calories)

I'm not very hungry in the morning lately, so I'm trying to think of what to eat later.  I wonder if I could make soup, a salad, or a smoothie within the bounds?

ETA: lunch: big mixed greens salad, carrots, hard boiled egg, 1 tbs salad dressing.  ~130 calories

dinner: 1 fish fillet (actually 1/2 tilapia and a 1/2 salmon LOL), 1/4 cup mac & cheese ~200 calories

snack: broccoli with cheese 150 calories

total for today: 600 calories.  

That was really hard toward the evening.  I exercised some and ran a lot of errands.  I'm so freaking hungry. :/

I've been attempting this as well.  Wednesdays and Fridays are my days, although I may have to choose a different day this week as we have a dinner out tonight (Mexican). Who knows, maybe I'll be able to do it anyway -- I'm not going to eat much during the day, maybe just some fruit.  As long as I don't go nuts with chips, I may be able to keep the total calorie count low. 

I have NO problem not eating breakfast. I feel better when I don't.  I also read in The Fast Diet (the book that goes along with this approach) that it can be beneficial to have the total fast -- no food -- go for 12-18 hours, so I tend not to eat until after noon.

Side note: I just got the accompanying book, Fast Exercise. It introduces a different approach to exercise:  High-intensity activity for 10 minutes a day, three days a week.  Like with 5:2 (I don't like using the word "diet" here), this short-but-intense-when-you're-doing-it approach apparently has some very good (scientifically proven) results.  I'm just getting into the book, so don't have details yet. 

I've been attempting this as well.  Wednesdays and Fridays are my days, although I may have to choose a different day this week as we have a dinner out tonight (Mexican). Who knows, maybe I'll be able to do it anyway -- I'm not going to eat much during the day, maybe just some fruit.  As long as I don't go nuts with chips, I may be able to keep the total calorie count low. 

I have NO problem not eating breakfast. I feel better when I don't.  I also read in The Fast Diet (the book that goes along with this approach) that it can be beneficial to have the total fast -- no food -- go for 12-18 hours, so I tend not to eat until after noon.

Side note: I just got the accompany book, Fast Exercise. It introduces a different approach to exercise:  High-intensity activity for 10 minutes a day, three days a week.  Like with 5:2 (I don't like using the word "diet" here), this short-but-intense-when-you're-doing-it approach apparently has some very good (scientifically proven) results.  I'm just getting into the book, so don't have details yet. 

I like that idea.  I fell off the exercise bandwagon for awhile due to my arthritis.  I need to eat a little for breakfast or I feel faintish, but a low cal meal in the morning should be easy to do. 

Absolutely.  One of my favorite "meals" in the morning, if I do eat a low-cal breakfast, is a cup of beef or chicken stock with a splash of whole-fat cream.  Yum. My two fasting days are in conjunction with our church's two fasting days per week, and like with 5:2, our definition of "fasting" doesn't mean no food at all.  It means no animal products, alcohol or olive oil.  So in addition to keeping the calorie count low, I have to consider these, too (tonight at Mexican, for example, I'll have tortillas and a side of rice and beans so I can make my own burritos).  My intent is to have just one meal a day on fasting days, rather than splitting it up, although that's not usually how it plays out because I also go to the gym on Wednesday and Friday afternoons at 4:15pm -- I don't want to eat a big meal before that, but also don't necessarily want to work out on an empty stomach.  So much to figure out, but I do believe the studies and science and historical/religious practice behind this approach so intend to press on. 

I usually do Wednesdays and Sundays because they are my lowest activity days. I find it hard to do a low cal day when I go to the dojo. Anyway, today was not my best fast day. I started out well with 2 cups of coffee with milk, then had .5oz of almonds mid afternoon. But then I had .75 cup of homemade chicken fried rice for dinner. It was too carb heavy for a fast day. Usually I have a piece of broiled salmon and a cup or two of veggies.

I've been on 5:2 for 18 months.  It's just a normal routine for me now - I don't think about it.  I normally have cups of tea with milk through that day (100 calories), miso soup at lunch (50 calories) a piece of fruit/oatcake when I get home (60 calories) then lean protein and lots of steamed veggies (the rest up to 500) for supper.

I didn't have that much to lose, but have gone from 145 to 132 pounds and am maintaining here.  

L

I've been following this WoE for the past 18 months as well & lost over 46 pounds (dropping from 168 lbs to 122 lbs.)  When I began I would drink herbal tea until 1:00pm.  I would have a low-cal cup-a-soup for lunch, an apple (cut up  & dusted with cinnamon) at 4:00pm, & at 6:00pm a huge dinner salad with loads of veg, a bit of lean meat, & a sprinkle of cheese (but NO starches).  I would have a small mandarin or a cup of grapes, etc. for dessert.  After a week or so I found I wasn't hungry for the fruit, so I dropped that.  Then I found if I moved dinner to 5:30pm I didn't need the apple mid-afternoon.  Then I replaced my herbal tea with hot water with lemon & I didn't need the cup-a-soup.  Now I have lots of hot water with lemon all day & a huge dinner salad at 5:30pm.  This is most likely much less than the 500cal. allowed on fasting days, but you don't need to eat all 500cal.  Some people do total water fasts & that's OK.  I never count calories on my "eating" days, so over the week I would average over the 1200cal.  Michael Mosley who wrote The Fast Diet is a doctor & he's explained the science behind this WoE in his book.  

This WoE isn't for everyone, but it is safe for otherwise healthy adults.  The benefits far out way mere weight loss.  I have found it to be the only weight loss plan that has worked with me & it's been effortless, as I have never felt deprived.  The key to my success is I always tell myself that I can have what I crave on a fasting day tomorrow.  It has helped me to kick my soda & carb addiction as well as relearn healthy portion sizing.  It's very simple.  Eat up to 500 calories on fasting days & up to 2000 calories on other days.  Don't add is extra calories to make up for calories burnt through exercise.  

JMHO,

I have never heard of this and please don't take this the wrong way. I say this out of concern. I thought the min. number of calories a day for a woman was 1200. The idea of 650 or less sounds dangerous. And exercise should be followed up with calories consumed to make up for calories burned (at least, according to My Fitness Pal).

It's 500 per day two days a week.  I eat unlimited amounts of healthy food for the rest of the week. 

L

I have never heard of this and please don't take this the wrong way. I say this out of concern. I thought the min. number of calories a day for a woman was 1200. The idea of 650 or less sounds dangerous. And exercise should be followed up with calories consumed to make up for calories burned (at least, according to My Fitness Pal).

It's called intermittent fasting and has proven effects on blood sugar, insulin, etc.  It is NOT eating that few calories every day!  I ate regular (if a bit much) yesterday and will only do this 2 days a week.  This is not a form of anorexia. 

I did, but only a relaxed yoga and some mild rehab exercises (bodyweight squats, etc.).  I would not recommend a lot of exercise on fast days, personally.  

Two links for you below.  There's a few threads on here about it, too.  It's not for everyone.  

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/08/06/a-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-intermittent-fasting-might-help-you-live-longer-healthier-life/

I would like to know more about it - any resources to set me off in the right direction? I have only 8 pounds to lose and do exercise every day.

Do you exercise on the fasting days and if so, do you feel OK after exercising?

The book I read is called The Fast Diet.  I exercise as usual on fasting days (I go to the gym for a 45 minute "total body strength" interval training class in the late afternoon).  I figure if there's not much food to burn, my body's going to burn stored fat instead.  :)  I usually have something to eat at about noon or 1:00 p.m., and the gym is at 4:15 p.m. 

After not keeping it under 500 on Wednesday, I did accomplish it today.  Later afternoon and evening are the hardest.  I'm trying to eat fruit when I want more.  Today was just 3-4 sips of a smoothie, a small bowl of rice and curried potato soup, a Luna bar and half a plum.  Should be right at about 500 calories.  I did the gym workout today. 

After not keeping it under 500 on Wednesday, I did accomplish it today.  Later afternoon and evening are the hardest.  I'm trying to eat fruit when I want more.  Today was just 3-4 sips of a smoothie, a small bowl of rice and curried potato soup, a Luna bar and half a plum.  Should be right at about 500 calories.  I did the gym workout today. 

I find it easier on a fast day to focus my meals on veggies & a bit of lean protein as they help me to feel fuller, longer.  Carbs just make me hungry fast.  Waiting as long as possible to eat is key as well.  This is coming from someone who 18 months ago couldn't go more than a few hours without eating, otherwise I felt unwell & got really grumpy :-P

Smoothies, fruit, etc. are very healthy, but much higher in calories than veggies.  I use my non-fasting days to load up on those healthy foods.

JMHO

I would like to know more about it - any resources to set me off in the right direction? I have only 8 pounds to lose and do exercise every day.

Do you exercise on the fasting days and if so, do you feel OK after exercising?

I tend to have low blood sugar after heavy exercise, so I do light or no exercise on fasting days. I know some people do their regular exercise routine with know trouble though.

I find it easier on a fast day to focus my meals on veggies & a bit of lean protein as they help me to feel fuller, longer.  Carbs just make me hungry fast.  Waiting as long as possible to eat is key as well.  This is coming from someone who 18 months ago couldn't go more than a few hours without eating, otherwise I felt unwell & got really grumpy :-P

Smoothies, fruit, etc. are very healthy, but much higher in calories than veggies.  I use my non-fasting days to load up on those healthy foods.

JMHO

Thank you!!  If I could have eggs, meat and cheese/dairy on my fasting days, I would do as you describe!  But I use our church's two fasting days each week as my 5:2 fasting days as well, so no animal products on my 5:2 days.  I really don't struggle physically with eating as described above (meaning I need something to get me feeling fuller out to keep my blood sugar stable, etc.), it's more mental and will-power based. 

I've tried this this week, and I feel a bit dizzy and shakey on fast days. How long does it take to stop feeling that way?

How many calories are you taking in?  I think it's supposed to be a bit proportional to your usual intake.  Also, what kind of food?  Too little actual food (calorie dense vs. filling) or too much sugar/carbs? You want a steady blood sugar, so watch out for too much that will make you crash and be dizzy/shaky. 

Thank you for the tips. I will read the Fast Diet book. I already do this one day a week, though not by design, but because of my schedule I miss my lunch and get late for dinner and hence don't eat much.

I will join you next week :)

I've tried this this week, and I feel a bit dizzy and shakey on fast days. How long does it take to stop feeling that way?

I think that's pretty normal if you're not used to eating so few calories for a day.  You'll adjust, I think, and as also mentioned above, different food choices may help as well. 

Some people have wondered what a non-fast day looks like for me.  Today was one of my "eating" days.  For breakfast I had a hot chocolate (I wasn't really hungry yet after fasting yesterday.)  Lunch was a grilled cheese sandwich, red grapes, & red bell pepper sticks.  Afternoon tea was 4 cheese & crackers and another hot chocolate.  Dinner was 2 beef, blackbean, & cheese enchiladas + munching off our veggie platter (carrot sticks, red bell pepper sticks, tomatoes, cucumbers, cheese & red onions), and a glass of hard cider to wash it all down.  I may have a banana or some ice cream before bed as a treat, but not now as I feel stuffed.  Tomorrow I'll fast again, so water/lemon all day & a huge salad plate for dinner again (this time with l/o roast pork & salsa as dressing.  Yum!)  I have no idea as to how many calories I ate today.  I'm not concerned at all as I regard my "eating" days as time to load up on healthy foods.  My fasting days allow my body to rest, cleanse, & heal.  The past week I have done ADF to hopefully drop the final 5 pounds I have left to my goal weight.  Then I'll move to 5:2 to maintain.

My non-fasting day yesterday (for more information): breakfast of whole grain cereal with 2% milk and an apple; lunch of left-over beef, veg and pearl barley stew; small piece of chocolate cake at book group; two appes; pasta, lentil and crispy bacon warm salad, with stir-fried Mibuna greens from the garden; late night snack of whole grain cereal and a couple of crackers; gin and tonic.  I've no idea what that adds up to.  I don't normally have sweets/bakery goods Monday to Friday.....

L

Yeah, I realized it required only fasting twice a week but it just sounded akin to "two days a week I only sleep a few hours." Still sounded incredibly difficult, possibly medically unsafe to do. I fast a couple times a year for religious reasons but I never thought to count the calories on those days so I really have no idea what a 600ish cal. day would look like but I know I would postpone exercise. Definitely think this is one of those things where you need to listen to your body and if you're dizzy, etc. then you need to eat, not put yourself through side effects (at least, that is my gut reaction). I'm sure this approach has different levels of success by different people's bodies. Someone like me that appears to be hypoglycemic, for example, probably wouldn't do well with this.

Thanks for the information. I obviously haven't read any books about it. I'm just trying to wrap my head around it :)

I have diagnosed hypoglycemia. That's one reason I avoid eating too much sugar or refined carbs.  It causes my blood sugar to crash.  So I try to even out protein/fat with carbs.  During a fast day I would mostly eat just low carb.  It causes me much less of a problem than a SAD.  I'm not saying it for everyone, but studies do not show this diet as dangerous for an average person.

A follow up question: How do you know the calorie count of what you ate? For e.g. if I had a bowl of mixed greens and hummus with crackers for dinner, how do I measure the calories in them? Do you approximate or do you have an app that you use to track your food intake?

A follow up question: How do you know the calorie count of what you ate? For e.g. if I had a bowl of mixed greens and hummus with crackers for dinner, how do I measure the calories in them? Do you approximate or do you have an app that you use to track your food intake?

I use My Fitness Pal (free). I weigh and measure most items---like I know that really stuffed full handful of lettuce is one cup, so I no longer measure that.

I started again today. So glad there is a support group. I had good luck a few months ago, but fell off the wagon. I have such willpower issues. Two days seems entirely doable until something comes up. So far today I had a huge green smoothie for 100 calories. I am starving now  :laugh: I had most success waiting until late as I could to eat and filling up on lots of veggies and protein. I felt great on it and it did work for me. I am looking forward to getting started again. 

I almost quit yesterday.  I probably went over, too.  But we were busy back and forth to soccer, so I probably needed a bit more. 

Breakfast: 1 small piece leftover pizza and 55 calorie coffee/milk/choc chips (NOT my best decision, but it was one of those days)

Lunch: cottage cheese and carrots

Snack: green tea

Dinner: 1/2 can Minestrone and one rough milled oat cracker (145 calories together)

Snack: small/medium apple

I had a killer headache and I was really grumpy by the end of the night.  I considered quitting.  The first day went so smooth!  I will give it a go on Wednesday again, hopefully it's much better when I won't have soccer and house problems. 

I almost quit yesterday.  I probably went over, too.  But we were busy back and forth to soccer, so I probably needed a bit more. 

Breakfast: 1 small piece leftover pizza and 55 calorie coffee/milk/choc chips (NOT my best decision, but it was one of those days)

Lunch: cottage cheese and carrots

Snack: green tea

Dinner: 1/2 can Minestrone and one rough milled oat cracker (145 calories together)

Snack: small/medium apple

I had a killer headache and I was really grumpy by the end of the night.  I considered quitting.  The first day went so smooth!  I will give it a go on Wednesday again, hopefully it's much better when I won't have soccer and house problems. 

It's hard when the day starts badly - it's hard enough normally.

I have to do all homemade food. Processed food, starches, crackers etc just add up way too fast. I did get red wine vinegar to keep in the car. I could do a decent fast food salad with that if I got desperate. I also learned to look forward to steamed broccoli with balsamic vinegar. Yum! And a whole plate is virtually zero calories. Virtually  :lol:

ETA - Take my advice with a grain of calorie free salt - I only made it a few weeks before falling off the bandwagon! HA!

I use My Fitness Pal (free). I weigh and measure most items---like I know that really stuffed full handful of lettuce is one cup, so I no longer measure that.

Thank you! I am off to create an account on My Fitness Pal :)

On another note, how do you stop the mindless eating urge? I walked by a box of cookies that someone else had left at the break room at work today and mindlessly ate one before I realized that I was counting 500 calories - thankfully, the cookie was small and it was only 80 calories so I could make other adjustments to meet my calorie limit. But, I need to be more mindful and conscious which is not coming easily to me when I am on a restricted diet, though I never eat cookies on a normal day :)

On another note, how do you stop the mindless eating urge? I walked by a box of cookies that someone else had left at the break room at work today and mindlessly ate one before I realized that I was counting 500 calories - thankfully, the cookie was small and it was only 80 calories so I could make other adjustments to meet my calorie limit. But, I need to be more mindful and conscious which is not coming easily to me when I am on a restricted diet, though I never eat cookies on a normal day :)

Make a rule that whenever you feel the urge to eat something, you have to wait a certain amount of time before you can.

ETA: Also, I've lost 60 lbs using MFP, I love that site.

I'm not a mindless eater, but I do eat my kids' leftovers sometimes. I just can't stand food wastage. Luckily for me, I have a teen boy/garbage disposal that likes to scavenge from plates now. ;)

I didn't plan on today being a fast day, but it's 8:00 and I have had a low-calorie day, so I'm going to make it one.  :)

Breakfast -  Bowl of homemade plain yogurt with plum jam (175)

"Lunch" - one Almond Roca candy (70)

Dinner - two fried eggs with cheese and horseradish (~275) and a glass whole milk - (80)

600 calories.  Also worked out at the gym. 

I'm not doing 5:2 but am lurking here since I'm on another diet plan and am currently obsessed with all things diet.

I'm not a mindless eater, but I do eat my kids' leftovers sometimes. I just can't stand food wastage. Luckily for me, I have a teen boy/garbage disposal that likes to scavenge from plates now. ;)

This was totally me for a long time. I cannot stand wasting food and would finish off the kids' plates as I cleared the table - after being satisfied with a full dinner myself. 

What's worse, after I started getting it under control for myself, I realized I was pushing my bad habit onto DD by saying, "Your brother didn't finish his ice cream; do you want the end of it?" or "Your brother opened this (little) bag of chips but isn't going to finish it; would you like the rest?" I was just setting her up to be in the same bad situation I was in (she's not overweight but neither was I at her age).

I've had to change my way of thinking about waste. Now I think, hey, the food is wasted/exhausted as soon as it's cooked. Since I don't need additional nourishment from this meal, the only difference between whether the food winds up in my stomach or the wastebasket is my health and/or appearance.

I know you're not having the same experience since a teenage boy is a totally different animal when it comes to food and metabolism. Just sharing since this is a relatively recent revelation for me and I'm still amazed that I'm just waking up to it.

I've had to change my way of thinking about waste. Now I think, hey, the food is wasted/exhausted as soon as it's cooked. Since I don't need additional nourishment from this meal, the only difference between whether the food winds up in my stomach or the wastebasket is my health and/or appearance.

My biggest thing was reminding myself that the food was either going to waste or to waist.

I did great yesterday. But with all things diet - now I am obsessed:) Can't decide what to eat. Don't want to eat if I'm not hungry but if I wait too long I crave awful foods - potato chips anyone?!? I guess I like rules - until I go off - then I can't get started again. 

ETA - Plus I really enjoy eating, and I am definitely a boredom eater. And right now there's a lot of that. Food issues anyone? :huh:

Yesterday was my first day on the diet and managed to keep it below 500 calories. I had that episode where I forgot and ate a cookie and then, I adjusted the rest of the food to get to my count. 

Here is what I ate:

Morning - coffee with 1/4 cup of 2% milk

Lunch - 1 bowl of Miso soup with tofu and broccoli

Snack - 1/2 an apple dusted with cinnamon

Dinner - Salad, hummus with bell peppers and carrots

Accidental eating of 1 small cookie.

I check my weight today and nothing has changed :) I know that it is too soon! 

I am going to do this on Mondays and Wednesdays.

PS: I was cranky and was short tempered by end of the day because I also exercised moderately and it made me tired.

This way of eating is really hard in my home -- my 16yo daughter is a fabulous, creative cook and she makes 95% of the meals!  She's always doing things like making Indian food complete with fresh naan, getting an apple crisp going for after dinner, making some fresh homemade bread just because, etc.  Aye-yi-yi. 

I was on this plan for about eight months before falling off the bandwagon. I never did lose any weight on it, but it did stop me from gaining. I've gained eight pounds in the three months since I've been off it and I'm about to outgrow my clothes. I refuse to buy a new larger-size wardrobe, so it may be time to get back to this. I can do great in the morning and afternoon; it was always dinner and later evening time that tripped me up. (Dinner/evenings are where probably 75% of my calorie intake come from on a normal day, too.)

Tuesdays and Thursdays were my days before and probably will be again. Contrary to what most people do, I choose my most active days for fasting, because those are the days I'm busy/distracted and not around my kitchen so much. Never had any problems with dizziness or shakiness on fasting days, but would sometimes feel crappy the next morning until I had breakfast.

I should probably wait to start until next week, though, so I have a grocery shopping trip between now and then and can plan better.

I'm going to try this too.  Doing strictly lowcarb has not been working for weight loss for about 6months.  I feel better, but my weight keeps going up and up.  I am convinced that now that I'm 50 I need to pay closer attention to calories...but that is hard.   I do a lot of "boredom snacking", especially in the afternoon and evening. It's always LC - but not low cal.  It will be an adjustment.

Like Milovany, I'm going to take advantage of the fasting days within the EO tradition and do my 500 cal for Weds/Fridays.  I'm not sure how successful I'll be today, since I'm adjusting.  I also find I do much better if I track my eating - so I'm back on Myfitnesspal.

So far... steel-cut oats with a little milk and SF Syrup - 2TB.  It was actually too sweet.  So next time I'll do 1TB.   178Calories.

1TB peanut butter - 95cal

Also, having read recently about Splenda and other sugar substitutes has got me concerned.  I've had gut problems for some time, so I'm trying to figure out how to change that WOE too.

Deb, nice take now you'll be trying on W/F too. I agree with your assessment about just needing to drop calories as we age.  I think we just need far less food, and that's a hard adjustment to make.  Thinking about St. Mary of Egypt helps me.  

To all, something that's been REALLY helpful to me is to learn to like feeling hungry.  I now like feeling empty/slightly hungry most of the time and then having something to eat a couple of times a day. Then I try, try, try to not overeat.   It's not like I'm starving myself or anything (really! at all) ... I've just found that it has broken the power food has had over me.  I'm not great with this all the time -- will go for days munching more -- but even on my non-fasting days I try to reach hunger daily. 

I find I like the added satisfaction of eating when I am actually hungry. It feels better. I used to eat sometimes when I was bored, or because people around me were eating. I don't generally do that anymore.

I do still occasionally overeat just because something tastes good though. I haven't figured out any Jedi mind tricks for that one.

I did Ok the other 5 days. It's going to be harder to find two fast days this coming week with social obligations several evenings. I do not think I can fast 2 days in a row. I am trying to stay off the scale. I know it will not move fast enough for me and I get so discouraged and give up too quickly. I need to embrace the lifestyle change instead of the diet word. 

I read that it is not recommended to fast 2 days in a row. If I have a week where I have a lot of social obligations I just do one day that week. I still lose, though not as much.

Also I think when you reach your goal weight you are supposed to cut down to one day a week to get the health benefits of fasting without risking too much weight loss, so apparently one day a week is still good.