Menu

Is there not an Ebola in Dallas thread yet?

I envision all these WTM posters suddenly turning into stalkers at those Highland Games festivals so they can get kilt photos to post. :lol:

I gotta say something!!!

I live in a town with a huge Highland games festival thing & I will get you some pics! Next April!

And a good friend of mine is a piper & wears a kilt often. I may just have to ask for a pic of him in his kilt...do you think his wife would think that was weird?!?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I am convinced that wearing garlic cloves will protect me from Ebola. I haven't caught it yet so the garlic is obviously working; I can sell you my special garlic-carrying pouch if you like :D

I believe everything you say and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Is this the part when all the Texans and Oklahomans hold hands and start singing kumbaya?  :D

Never!!

Holy snarks, Batman! Is like...watching Russia and Ukraine spar.

Oklahoma and Texas are the same damn thing. Their grass looks the same, their ranch houses look the same, their very scenic views encompassing water towers, cell towers, and high power lines look the same, from atop their 30 foot mountains.

Nebrahomas, people.

-Grumpy native Texan

Not. even. close.  And I hereby revoke your native Texan status.  

Is BBQ the new cupcakes?

YES!!

I have something on topic to say.

My dh has a background in support services for the healthcare industry, including hospitals.   He currently owns a small business. A colleague has been invited to the hospital that is caring for the man with Ebola to present a product with some unique disinfecting properties.  My dh has been asked along to assist in the presentation due to his hospital background.   He knows the hospital lingo.   The presentation should be some time next week. 

The hospital in question is part of the largest "chain" of hospitals in this area.  The apparent breach in protocol regarding the Ebola victim from Liberia is huge, obviously.  I expect some large repercussions.

Little Mo?  Just watching a story about that on the news.

I don't know what or who Little Mo is so I'm thinking no.  lol

It kind of reminded me of a roomba.. something about some kind of light pulses that kill viruses, so it cleans the room or something.

Didn't I do a great job of paying attention?  Lol

It kind of reminded me of a roomba.. something about some kind of light pulses that kill viruses, so it cleans the room or something.

Didn't I do a great job of paying attention?  Lol

lol

No, not Little Mo, though that sounds very intriguing.

Personally I am convinced that wearing garlic cloves will protect me from Ebola. I haven't caught it yet so the garlic is obviously working; I can sell you my special garlic-carrying pouch if you like :D

Wearing raw garlic around the neck is one of the old protections against attack from vampires. Really.

And since we all know vampires turn into bats, and people who eat bats get ebola, then garlic would cure ebola!

There's your scientific method at work, people!

Add it to your newsletter, maize. 

:D

Back to Ebola... they let those kids go to school because they weren't showing symptoms? Doesn't it take up to 3 weeks to show symptoms? How contagious are people before the symptoms show? I'm still thinking of all the door handles and toilets the man touched.....

Back to Ebola... they let those kids go to school because they weren't showing symptoms? Doesn't it take up to 3 weeks to show symptoms? How contagious are people before the symptoms show? I'm still thinking of all the door handles and toilets the man touched.....

No one is contagious at all before the symptoms show.  That's why they are not worried about the airplane he was on or the schools the kids are attending.  

And since we all know vampires turn into bats, and people who eat bats get ebola, then garlic would cure ebola!

There's your scientific method at work, people!

Add it to your newsletter, maize.

:D

Thanks for making the connection for me! This business is about to take off!

I'm offering WTM boardies first dibs on shares in the company.

Couldn't sleep, so got up and watched Anderson Cooper's podcast from last night.  Apparently the patient's family didn't think the hospital was taking his treatment seriously enough and THEY are who notified the CDC, NOT the hospital.

Find that terrifying.

So putting together the details in several different news stories: 

<snip>When he does get sick, he goes to the hospital and tells a worker where he has been, but he is not admitted.  He then goes home to his family again, and, well, you know the rest of the story.

I'm sorry, but this man cannot be a stone-age person who doesn't understand germ theory, given his ability to drive a car, use a passport, travel transoceanically, etc.  I have to say that I find his actions reprehensible.  If he felt he needed to come to the US to give him the best chance if he were to get sick, the minute he started symptoms, he should have high-tailed it to the hospital and made a huge scene.  

THIS is what concerns me.  People look out for themselves and do not *think* of how their actions will affect others.  All the kings horses...

But what was he supposed to do when the hospital wanted to send him home?  Camp out at the reception desk and insist on being admitted?  

What do you think would have happened if he had made a huge scene at the hospital?  I would think the most likely scenario not that he would be admitted, but that he would be hauled away by the police (which of course would have put more and different people at risk - police, cell-mates etc. etc.)

I think that generally most people trust doctors, so if they say you're fine to go home, then most people would believe them.

I just want to say or sing, rather:  "The sage in bloom, is like perfume (clap,clap,clap,clap) deep in the heart of Texas!" 

Yes, I learned this and several other patriotic songs when I went to elementary school in Texas.

Beans can be used in chili, though it is not technically correct, but only if they are pintos.  Any other type of bean is...no.  Chili con carne con frijole (pintos).

I have insomnia tonight, so if this doesn't make sense, that's my excuse.

Denise

somewhere on this thread someone asked how long Ebola can survive on a surface such as glass, cloth etc. According to this report the answer is that nobody really knows. there have been many studies all showing different results form 50 days to a few hours depending on the temperature. It can survive in dry body fluid as well as wet at room temperature for up to 23 days. http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/ebola-experts-answer-questions-on-reddit/story-fneuzlbd-1227077906513

WBAP reported this afternoon that the 5 children were back in school today, in their respective schools.  I wonder if at some point they will pull them out proactively. ??  I would, were I the health commish. 

Other parents are pulling THEIR kids out proactively.

Other parents are pulling THEIR kids out proactively.

Texas schools are finicky about attendance, maybe the parents will start disenrolling their kids entirely and homeschooling to get around that...just think, Ebola could be the incentive for a whole new wave of homeschooling. And of course all these new people will google Ebola and homeschooling and will find TWTM forums and we will all have new friends.

No one is contagious at all before the symptoms show.  That's why they are not worried about the airplane he was on or the schools the kids are attending.  

I understand they're not contagious without symptoms.  I also understand kids often go to school 100% healthy and wind up tossing their cookies by lunchtime *without deadly viruses. I don't consider myself paranoid, but I would definitely keep my kids home if I knew exposed kids were being sent to school!

Chances are and fingers crossed those kids are perfectly fine.  But, if they're not, who's to say when symptoms will start?  I wouldn't want to bank on 4:17pm on Saturday.

Texas schools are finicky about attendance, maybe the parents will start disenrolling their kids entirely and homeschooling to get around that...just think, Ebola could be the incentive for a whole new wave of homeschooling. And of course all these new people will google Ebola and homeschooling and will find TWTM forums and we will all have new friends.

Not when those Texans see the BBQ blasphemy a few pages back.

They'll be so enraged they won't make it to the chili controversy of page 13.

They will leave the Hive thinking "classical" homeschoolers are a Godless bunch and either re-enroll thier pure Texas progeny in the schools or form a new Texas succession movement. Maybe both.

Texans are scary serious about.....well....everything Texan.

It's ENTIRELY possible!  I've already heard from a couple of people who have enrolled in cyber schools b/c local schools have ended their excused absence period while a local manhunt continues. No direct jumps to homeschooling that I'm aware of, but still an increase for our social groups!  And we're a pretty low population area.

This evening, I cut my hand on dh's soup can in the trash, let it bleed, used some betadine swabs I got from my friend who is the director at the Humane Society, glued the edges together with superglue, applied bactroban and put two band aids on it.

Only in Texas. Clearly.

I also have a veterinary medical staple gun I am itching to use, but it was not that deep. Plus it's hard to staple yourself so there's that.

Only in TX?  Seriously?  My parents taught me how to clean and fix wounds when I was a very young. My first recollection of doing it myself was when I was 8 years old, fell off a pony, and got dragged down an asphalt road taking off a good bit of skin in many places.  When mom saw me she pointed to the bathroom and told me to clean it all up.  She was a little upset that I ruined my clothes... esp since the "accident" happened because my sister and I thought it would be "cool" to have the pony also pulling our tricycle - that also got destroyed.  Good thing we were really too big for it or that might have been a spanking event.  We lived in upstate NY.

I live on a farm raising ponies in PA now (for the past 17 years), yet up until a year ago had only been to a dr (or assistant) 4 times (work physical, tick bite, pneumonia, tetanus shot).  Do you seriously think I'm talented enough to not have gotten boo boos over those years?  And someone has to take care of the ponies when they find things to get hurt with.

Only in TX?  Surely you jest!

And all of you were talking about food while I was gone (sigh).

The best beef BBQ?  Texas wins, but with sauce is better than without.

Pork?  Pulled pork - Eastern NC wins

Kailua pork - Hawaii wins

Pork & sauerkraut - PA wins - we see it as kind of a BBQ - any other BBQ in PA is awful though - just warning ya!

Chicken?  Um... why BBQ chicken?  There are so many other great ways to have it!

Ribs?  Anywhere that doesn't use a dry rub - dry BBQ is just plain wrong.

And chili is best WITH beans.  Without beans it's just meat in a sauce.

I hate sloppy joes...

State shapes?  I always loved WY and CO - they fit my artistically challenged self.  I could ALMOST draw them correctly!  ;)

I keep reading that people are being "monitored." What exactly does that mean in this instance? I would hope it includes having them NOT be in contact with the public in any way. (I think I read that the EMTs were required to stay home.) Otherwise, as Carrie12345 said, you don't know precisely WHEN someone who is at risk might become symptomatic and thus very contagious. I realize that opens up a whole host of issues including lost wages for people, but compared to the risk of spreading this disease? I'm certainly no expert--and I have no doubt that someone here will correct me if I'm wrong--but it seems like a no-brainer to require people to stay home until they're in the clear. I don't blame those parents for pulling their kids.

This morning CNN is reporting the man had contact with 80 people, not 18.

This does frustrate me, because it seems probable that the fellow knew he had been exposed to Ebola and may well have chosen to come to the US to get better treatment (completely understandable) and yet he does not seem to have taken any real precautions to avoid potentially contaminating others.

It seems many people dropped the ball here: the infected man, his family, the hospital where he initially sought care...

Ignorance?

A false sense of security?

Too much trust in the magic of modern medicine?

True story. When my mother was young her family lived with my great-grandparents, who came here from Italy. My great-grandmother used to make my mother and sisters wear garlic necklaces to school to keep them healthy. The kids made fun of them (those stupid superstitious Italians) so they had to find a way to not wear them to school. My mother and aunts had a certain bush on the way to school where they would hide the garlic. On the way home they'd stop and get their necklaces so their grandma wouldn't know they didn't wear them all day. I once asked her what would have happened if the necklaces were gone one day after school and she said that never occurred to them.

True story. When my mother was young her family lived with my great-grandparents, who came here from Italy. My great-grandmother used to make my mother and sisters wear garlic necklaces to school to keep them healthy. The kids made fun of them (those stupid superstitious Italians) so they had to find a way to not wear them to school. My mother and aunts had a certain bush on the way to school where they would hide the garlic. On the way home they'd stop and get their necklaces so their grandma wouldn't know they didn't wear them all day. I once asked her what would have happened if the necklaces were gone one day after school and she said that never occurred to them.

I think there is some modern evidence that eating garlic helps boost immunity?

Additionally, if the smell is strong enough to keep people at a distance that alone would provide some protection from contagion :D

Usually I like garlic, but when I am pregnant I develop a strong aversion to the smell, even in tiny amounts.

This does frustrate me, because it seems probable that the fellow knew he had been exposed to Ebola and may well have chosen to come to the US to get better treatment (completely understandable) and yet he does not seem to have taken any real precautions to avoid potentially contaminating others.

It seems many people dropped the ball here: the infected man, his family, the hospital where he initially sought care...

Ignorance?

As much as I DO NOT trust people, I do find it hard to believe that he would knowingly expose his family.  Random people, maybe. But his loved ones? Not so much.

Probable?  The guy took a taxi ride with and then carried an infected woman into her house (after the hospital rejected her for lack of room on the Ebola ward).  You think he didn't know he'd been in contact with Ebola?  Her brother who took the taxi ride with them came down with it about the same time the US guy did and is already dead. 

When they tried to send him home with antibiotics, you'd think he'd reiterate not just that he'd recently been to LIberia, but that he'd gotten up-close-and-personal with actual victim in the last stages of the disease (she died within a day afterwards).  That should have gotten their attention...

(although the hospital should still have caught that anyway, like other hospitals who have isolated other people recently back from West Africa with just fever who ended up having malaria or something).

Ignorance?

Maybe he thought he just had the flu.  After all, he had been sent home.....  Being in contact with lots of people when you have the flu is not ideal, but if you don't have a settled home, you often can't 'hide' so easily.

L

As much as I DO NOT trust people, I do find it hard to believe that he would knowingly expose his family. Random people, maybe. But his loved ones? Not so much.

Where he came from people expose their families all the time.

My guess is that he had too much trust in American medicine to take care of everything.

But what was he supposed to do when the hospital wanted to send him home?  Camp out at the reception desk and insist on being admitted?  

What do you think would have happened if he had made a huge scene at the hospital?  I would think the most likely scenario not that he would be admitted, but that he would be hauled away by the police (which of course would have put more and different people at risk - police, cell-mates etc. etc.)

I think that generally most people trust doctors, so if they say you're fine to go home, then most people would believe them.

I don't think he would have had to make a huge scene. It's a good bet that mentioning he'd actually helped carry a dying Ebola victim would have garnered more serious attention. Don't get me wrong. The hospital dropped the ball. But I think that detail would have been worth telling the medical staff.

I haven't lived in Liberia, but experience in other developing countries together with news reports discussing the difficulties health authorities are having in getting people to take basic precautionary measures in burial etc. give me plenty of room to question how well this patient would necessarily grasp the processes of infection and contamination.

To be honest, we have issues here in the US as well. A mom was recently telling me about making her DD with stomach flu go to school and dance, explaining that everything was OK because the child wasn't actually throwing up.

I don't think it's all that surprising or alarming that he had contact with that many people.  I assumed yesterday the number would increase.  If you just consider a few family members and friends, the ambulance crew, the people he would have come into contact with at the hospital ER before being officially diagnosed . . . the number of people would add up very quickly.

Probable?  The guy took a taxi ride with and then carried an infected woman into her house (after the hospital rejected her for lack of room on the Ebola ward).  You think he didn't know he'd been in contact with Ebola?  Her brother who took the taxi ride with them came down with it about the same time the US guy did and is already dead. 

When they tried to send him home with antibiotics, you'd think he'd reiterate not just that he'd recently been to LIberia, but that he'd gotten up-close-and-personal with actual victim in the last stages of the disease (she died within a day afterwards).  That should have gotten their attention...

(although the hospital should still have caught that anyway, like other hospitals who have isolated other people recently back from West Africa with just fever who ended up having malaria or something).

You would think all of these things except that this line of reasoning is based on our culture, our knowledge of medicine and communicability, etc. The reality is that T.V., internet, newspaper, etc. do not exist for a huge number of West African peoples. There isn't any methodology for disseminating information to the masses. My parents spent six months in Togo, West Africa working at a mission hospital and well, the knowledge for the average citizen is just not there. They saw very sick people take taxi's into the city to the airport regularly.

Culturally, what can we say? People go to work, to school, to church sick all the time in this nation. Last year we had a woman - an American high school graduate who "should know better" - bring her very sick infant with a 103.5 degree temp to the church nursery to nurse and then laid him on the floor on a blanket that belonged to the church while other children were crawling around. When the workers realized the baby was sick, they made her leave. But it was too late. By the end of the day, that woman ended up in the ER with her child who had Bacterial Meningitis! Every single child in that nursery, the workers, and the families of those children and workers had to be put on prophylactic antibiotics and watched closely. Meningitis kills. It's brutal. However, her child having a high temp and doing a lot of crying was not enough to make her stay home. "I didn't want to miss the special speaker!" That is what she told the pastor.

People do not care what they expose other people to as long as they don't have to be inconvenienced despite having easy access to medical information and the average high school graduate having take both high school biology and a health class before receiving their diplomas. If we assume that he did understand the risks, he isn't different from many Americans. I would not make the assumption, given his country of origin, that he had a clear understanding of the disease and the mode of transmission.

The director of Critical Event Preparedness at Johns Hopkins just said to expect "many more" cases of travel-related ebola coming to the U.S.

I do think the guy knew he had it. His employer said he quit his job unexpectedly with no explanation.

To be honest, we have issues here in the US as well. A mom was recently telling me about making her DD with stomach flu go to school and dance, explaining that everything was OK because the child wasn't actually throwing up.

We have this issue at school all the time.  Kids come when sick because they need to in order to play sports, because their parents don't want them staying home, because they have tests/projects they are working on, and probably a few other reasons I'm forgetting.

Days are rare when I'm not sending at least one student to the nurse for an illness.  About 1/4th who are sent for illness purposes are sent home (fevers, vomiting).  The rest get cough drops or tylenol for their headache/sore throat or similar.

Then there are those who refuse to go to the nurse (esp those sports kids if their team is playing - no school = no play - can't even be on the sidelines).

The fact that they might be getting others sick is not a concern to them - period.

Some of you suggested keeping kid home from school.  I know people in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.  Should people in Dallas county keep their kids home?  Just the affected schools?  Neighboring counties?  The entire D/FW area?  I mean how far do you go?

Only in TX?  Seriously?  My parents taught me how to clean and fix wounds when I was a very young. My first recollection of doing it myself was when I was 8 years old, fell off a pony, and got dragged down an asphalt road taking off a good bit of skin in many places.  When mom saw me she pointed to the bathroom and told me to clean it all up.  She was a little upset that I ruined my clothes... esp since the "accident" happened because my sister and I thought it would be "cool" to have the pony also pulling our tricycle - that also got destroyed.  Good thing we were really too big for it or that might have been a spanking event.  We lived in upstate NY.

I live on a farm raising ponies in PA now (for the past 17 years), yet up until a year ago had only been to a dr (or assistant) 4 times (work physical, tick bite, pneumonia, tetanus shot).  Do you seriously think I'm talented enough to not have gotten boo boos over those years?  And someone has to take care of the ponies when they find things to get hurt with.

Only in TX?  Surely you jest!

And all of you were talking about food while I was gone (sigh).

The best beef BBQ?  Texas wins, but with sauce is better than without.

Pork?  Pulled pork - Eastern NC wins

Kailua pork - Hawaii wins

Pork & sauerkraut - PA wins - we see it as kind of a BBQ - any other BBQ in PA is awful though - just warning ya!

Chicken?  Um... why BBQ chicken?  There are so many other great ways to have it!

Ribs?  Anywhere that doesn't use a dry rub - dry BBQ is just plain wrong.

And chili is best WITH beans.  Without beans it's just meat in a sauce.

I hate sloppy joes...

State shapes?  I always loved WY and CO - they fit my artistically challenged self.  I could ALMOST draw them correctly!   ;)

I am a master at hyperbole.  It's part of my charm.  Though I hereby challenge you to a cut-fixing contest.  I will not involve any ponies, though.  Too dangerous for the ponies.  ;)

Some of you suggested keeping kid home from school.  I know people in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.  Should people in Dallas county keep their kids home?  Just the affected schools?  Neighboring counties?  The entire D/FW area?  I mean how far do you go?

I didn't suggest they should, but that *I* would.

The more logical answer, imho, would be to keep the EXPOSED kids out.  I can't imagine how that's not common sense. 

I am a master at hyperbole.  It's part of my charm.  Though I hereby challenge you to a cut-fixing contest.  I will not involve any ponies, though.  Too dangerous for the ponies.  ;)

If I do this at school they MIGHT get a little mad at me, but next period is a reading period.  Perhaps I can hide behind my book while we settle this.  I'll be sure to get the blood cleaned up before I leave.  ;)

If I do this at school they MIGHT get a little mad at me, but next period is a reading period.  Perhaps I can hide behind my book while we settle this.  I'll be sure to get the blood cleaned up before I leave.   ;)

We can do it in the biology lab and call it an experiment.