Menu

Is there not an Ebola in Dallas thread yet?

staceyobu

I don't look for it to get out of control here in the U.S., not likely anyway.

But I do look for pockets of ebola activity. How large those pockets are, how many people are affected, what officials do to prevent spread beyond those pockets, and how people in these areas react are things I'm wondering about. I don't think Dallas is going to be last place ebola hits in America. What they do here hopefully will help others learn and respond better when it happens again.

Understanding the risks of catching ebola, should it show up in your area, is very important, IMO. Downplaying it is dangerous. Hyping the risks is dangerous, too. At this point, I'm not unhappy with how the Dallas case has been handled with the media. We've been informed. Important questions have been asked. We've been given some answers and yet individual's privacy is still intact (the names haven't been splattered all over the media). SO FAR, so good. That could change quickly, though.

I'd like to continue to see more of this kind of reporting: this is where it's at, this is what we're doing to keep it from spreading. 

I'd like to see less of the downplaying and more practical advice of what to do if it shows up in your area, kind of like what I listed in my earlier post. But I think many people think that might create some kind of hysteria or something. Warning people to avoid public restrooms and crowded areas if a contagious and deadly disease shows up in the area is not hysteria-producing. Warning people to be extra vigilant about washing hands and not touching their faces and keeping open wounds covered is not hysteria-producing.

Bad thing I've noticed: 

Telling people that it is not spread through the air is just plain wrong, IMO. I cringe every time I read that. It's downplaying a risk, not correcting wrong assumptions or spreading accurate information. Not being airborne, and not being spread through the air are two different things. Understanding that droplets can spread the disease is important to preventing spread. How many minutes of air time or lines on the paper would it really take to explain this?

Good thing I've noticed:

Telling people that ebola isn't spread by people not showing symptoms. Someone has to have symptoms to spread the disease. The man in Dallas did not have symptoms until several days after flying, so the people that shared a plane with him do not need to worry about catching ebola.

Understanding that we're in uncharted territory and this is something new to many, many people should mean that we need to be very careful about trying to compare the numbers to things we've faced before and know how to handle. It also means that we should be very practical and repetitious about what to do if it shows up in your area, because we don't know where this disease could hit next and we don't know how bad it could get, but we do know that it's become more deadly and more widely spread than original projections. So, downplaying the risks of it coming to your area is not going to help save lives. Having a plan and knowing what to do could. Hysteria and panic are thwarted through information and planning, not through dismissal and denial.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It also doesn't live on surfaces.

Nothing he touched will have the virus, even if he spit on something

I am trying to understand (genuinely asking, not being sarcastic) - if it spreads through bodily fluids and if it does not spread from spit, how exactly does it spread? And how did those doctors who came back from Africa with Ebola get it then? I heard that they were wearing proper gear and hand washing etc.

I was really interested in the discussion about closing the TX border.  Presumably we are now focusing on the  northerly one instead of the southerly one.  It would protect us all from chili without beans in it and BBQ made with the wrong animal.  So I am in favor.

Shun the unbeliever!! SSSHHHHUUUUUNNNNNNN!!!!!! SHHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUnuh!

I am trying to understand (genuinely asking, not being sarcastic) - if it spreads through bodily fluids and if it does not spread from spit, how exactly does it spread? And how did those doctors who came back from Africa with Ebola get it then? I heard that they were wearing proper gear and hand washing etc.

I didn't say it doesn't spread from spit. It doesn't spread when the person isn't showing symptoms. This man was asymptomatic on the plane, so even if he did spit on something or someone, he was not contagious at that time.

As for the doctor, he was using what was proper gear in the locality where he was treating patients. It was nowhere close to the kind of precautions taken in an area with modern medical practices. They were rinsing puke buckets with a hose outside the tent. This was discussed in the original thread back when he was brought to the U.S. I'm pretty sure people shared links, but I'm doing some drive-by posting right now (in between checking on the homeschooling teen) and don't have time to do a search.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/2014/09/12/346114454/how-do-you-catch-ebola-by-air-sweat-or-water

From the Public Health Agency of Canada:

SURVIVAL OUTSIDE HOST: Filoviruses have been reported capable to survive for weeks in blood and can also survive on contaminated surfaces, particularly at low temperatures (4°C) . One study could not recover any Ebolavirus from experimentally contaminated surfaces (plastic, metal or glass) at room temperature.  In another study, Ebolavirus dried onto glass, polymeric silicone rubber, or painted aluminum alloy is able to survive in the dark for several hours under ambient conditions (between 20 and 250C and 30–40% relative humidity) (amount of virus reduced to 37% after 15.4 hours), but is less stable than some other viral hemorrhagic fevers (Lassa) . When dried in tissue culture media onto glass and stored at 4 °C, Zaire ebolavirus survived for over 50 days. This information is based on experimental findings only and not based on observations in nature. This information is intended to be used to support local risk assessments in a laboratory setting.

If I'm understanding that correctly, Ebola can survive on surfaces under certain conditions.

I'd like to know what airline the guy flew on.  If I had been on his flight, I'd want to know.  

I'm seeing that there is another possible Ebola case and it's someone who the first guy knows.  One article says they have 16-18 people who came in contact with patient #1 under observation right now.  Why aren't they being quarantined?  

Because of the belief that it isn't going to get out of control.  Most people seem to have a casual attitude about this.

The CDC feels confident that we will contain this. This article explains why it is out of control in Africa.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/11/health/ebola-contact-tracing/index.html?iid=article_sidebar

Fifteen years later, Lt. Rebecca Levine, a newly minted officer with the U.S. Public Health Service, stepped off a plane in West Africa to fight Ebola, ready to implement the key strategy she'd been taught: contact tracing.

The process that's helped stop diseases like SARS and smallpox seems simple: Find everyone who had close contact with infected individuals and track them for 21 days. If any of these contacts comes down with the disease, isolate them from the community and repeat the process by tracking the contacts' contacts.

But tracing works only if you have a list of the contacts and their addresses. When Levine arrived at a Ministry of Health office in Sierra Leone, she found that the database she needed was "pretty much in shambles."

Is it just "oh well" for his contacts and their contacts until it is contained?  I don't get that.  Stop it before his contacts have contacts.  Quarantining a few prevents mass quarantine.  

I didn't say it doesn't spread from spit. It doesn't spread when the person isn't showing symptoms. This man was asymptomatic on the plane, so even if he did spit on something or someone, he was not contagious at that time.

As for the doctor, he was using what was proper gear in the locality where he was treating patients. It was nowhere close to the kind of precautions taken in an area with modern medical practices. They were rinsing puke buckets with a hose outside the tent. This was discussed in the original thread back when he was brought to the U.S. I'm pretty sure people shared links, but I'm doing some drive-by posting right now (in between checking on the homeschooling teen) and don't have time to do a search.

Thank you, I misunderstood the original post you made. It makes sense that a person without symptoms and who is incubating the virus cannot yet spread the disease.

I have not yet had the time to check out the CDC website (drive-by posting and internet checking here too!). I will get to it soon.

I think there are many people who have a casual "this isn't something that will ever affect me" attitude and there are people who have a chicken little "the world is coming to an end" attitude. Then there are the people in between. It isn't a one or the other.

I agree that there have been many who appear to believe that it is something that will never affect them, and that concerns me, too. The other end of the spectrum concerns me, too, but less so. If they want to hole up in their bunkers, I'm not going to worry about that.

I believe we need to work really hard at maintaining a balance with this.

She was incorrect from what I have read.  It does spread through saliva and sweat.  I heard a doctor on tv say that.  They wouldn't need to decontaminate the ambulance if you couldn't get it through touching contaminated objects.

He did not have symptoms on the airplane. Ebola is not contagious when the patient doesn't have symptoms, therefore no one on that plane is in danger of contracting Ebola from him. It also doesn't live on surfaces. so you can't get it from the proverbial shared toilet seat. Nothing he touched will have the virus, even if he spit on something or missed the bowl while using the toilet (since it spreads by bodily fluids some might wonder if he left fluids on the plane, but if he did that's still not a concern).

You sound pretty sure of yourself, there, when we can't be sure of all that. I think the CDC is telling us generally what they think is true, what they hope is true, not necessarily what actually is 100 percent true. They don't have enough experience with it to know.

Now being reported that five schoolchildren have been exposed.

I don't think it is a casual attitude just because someone doesn't go all chicken little.

How does that help? It doesn't. It doesn't help at all.

No one ever suggested going all chicken little.  

You sound pretty sure of yourself, there, when we can't be sure of all that. I think the CDC is telling us generally what they think is true, what they hope is true, not necessarily what actually is 100 percent true. They don't have enough experience with it to know.

OMGosh.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/us-ebola-patient-exposed-school-age-children-governor/story?id=25885934

She was incorrect from what I have read.  It does spread through saliva and sweat.  I heard a doctor on tv say that.  They wouldn't need to decontaminate the ambulance if you couldn't get it through touching contaminated objects.

I think that she was saying that if the patient does not show the symptoms of ebola (while on the plane to the US), he will not infect others on the plane. But, once the virus starts showing symptoms like fever, vomitting etc, then it becomes contagious (in this case, that happened AFTER the patient was in the US for a few days and not enroute to the US). I misunderstood her original post too.

I think that she was saying that if the patient does not show the symptoms of ebola (while on the plane to the US), he will not infect others on the plane. But, once the virus starts showing symptoms like fever, vomitting etc, then it becomes contagious (in this case, that happened AFTER the patient was in the US for a few days and not enroute to the US). I misunderstood the original post too.

Yes, that is exactly what I was saying. Thank you.

I think that she was saying that if the patient does not show the symptoms of ebola (while on the plane to the US), he will not infect others on the plane. But, once the virus starts showing symptoms like fever, vomitting etc, then it becomes contagious (in this case, that happened AFTER the patient was in the US for a few days and not enroute to the US). I misunderstood the original post too.

Thank you.  I understand.

He still had contact with medical staff who did not know he had ebola.  I know they mentioned monitoring the EMT's.  Hopefully, they are doing to same for the other medical staff.  How sad is that... that they were exposed doing their jobs.  

Is it just "oh well" for his contacts and their contacts until it is contained?  I don't get that.  Stop it before his contacts have contacts.  Quarantining a few prevents mass quarantine.  

Are you asking if I think "oh well"? Of course not. I know that the CDC stated that Senegal and Nigeria were able to contain their Ebola by good tracking methods and containment. 

The news is currently discussing if we should have travel restrictions put in place like British AIrways. Will we do that, I don't know. Maybe a 21 day quarantine will be imposed on travelers coming from the most infected areas. I am trying to imagine where they would hold these people??? In the meantime for the sake of all, the other West African Countries will need great support to help isolate victims and track  and contain (quarantine) their contacts. 

I've got lots of random thoughts on this thread so just bear with me ...

I suspect the vast, vast majority of people worry too much and do more harm to their body via the side effects of worrying than is likely to happen to them from ebola.  If they watch fiction instead - esp comedy - they will do more medical good for their body.

If one feels they might have come in contact with the victim's fluids, then they ought to take the proper precautions and get help at the first sign of any issue.

It's always best to keep risk in perspective rather than getting alarmed at very low risk deals.

One is more likely to get the flu and have issues from that to be honest.

Yep.  This is genius.  Be well informed but don't obsess over it.  Stress is gonna kill a lot more people than ebola will.

I have a friend in Dallas, also.  I'm hearing a LOT.  It's not good.

Some people are worried enough to take precautions, others are on their way to the Dallas Fair for fair day.  All public school students were given free tickets and a day off.

Your chicken little posts are really bumming me out man.  I'm going to reserve the right to post an "I told you so thread" when this whole ebola thread blows over because ...

I think the reason for everyone having such a laid back attitude about it is that over the last few years, the media has tried so many times to whip us all into a frenzy over various illnesses.  "Bird flu!  Swine flu!  Influenza!  Pandemic!  Epidemic!  We're all gonna diiiiiiiiiie!!!!!!"  And then it turns out to be mostly a non-issue.  After years of that, I've come to have enough faith in our hygiene, sanitation, and medical systems that I'm not too worried about being taken out by something like ebola.  

... Mergath is totally right.  

For a good dose of humor I recommend a little old school Chris Rock and his rant on the media.  Totally funny.

I don't understand this.  We've known about Ebola for decades.  For about forty years, I believe.  We actually know quite a lot about it.  Of course it's always possible that it can mutate.

He still had contact with medical staff who did not know he had ebola.  I know they mentioned monitoring the EMT's.  Hopefully, they are doing to same for the other medical staff.  How sad is that... that they were exposed doing their jobs.  

The ambulance crew has tested negative for the virus.  I don't know exactly what that means (how accurate the test is, etc.).  As far as it being sad -- No, I don't think so.  The people who have those jobs know full well it puts them at risk of many contagious illnesses.

Suggesting we close our borders and refuse to let any flights from Africa into the U.S. constitutes going chicken little. I'm gonna go out on a limb and wager 90+% of the posters to this thread and the previous/locked one agree.

Are you asking if I think "oh well"? Of course not. I know that the CDC stated that Senegal and Nigeria were able to contain their Ebola by good tracking methods and containment. Do I have complete trust in the CDC? I used to trust the Secret Service to do their job:)

The news is currently discussing if we should have travel restrictions put in place like British AIrways. Will we do that, I don't know. Maybe a 21 day quarantine will be imposed on travelers coming from the most infected areas. I am trying to imagine where they would hold these people??? In the meantime for the sake of all, the other West African Countries will need great support to help isolate victims and track  and contain (quarantine) their contacts. 

It was just a general question that your post prompted... not directed toward you.  :)

I suggested this, yesterday, and got a huge negative reaction.  It's just common sense!

I am more concerned about people who think they might be infected overwhelming hospitals and clinics. I worked in our regional er when the anthrax crisis happened right after 9/11, and we had hundreds of people showing up who believed they had gotten or been exposed to anthrax. No one in our area ever had it, but we really struggled to cope with the influx of patients for several weeks.

I also feel sorry for the doc/medical team who sent the ebola patient home. They sure made a huge error and may pay for it with the loss of their careers.

As has been mentioned, yes, it can survive on surfaces. Here's a very simple run down on how ebola is spread:

Ebola has to enter your via infected fluids to fluid/membranes like through an open wound or the eyes, mouth, or nose.

• If you touch an infected surface and then touch your mouth, stick your finger in your nose, or rub your eyes, you're at risk of infection.
  • If someone vomits or has explosive diarrhea or is coughing and the particles are in the air and you breathe them in or it gets in your eyes, you're at risk of infection. ---- Please understand: this is does not mean it's airborne! The particles won't stay in the air long enough to be considered that, but no one knows exactly how long they will be in the air...and poor ventilation and air circulation will help it to stay in the air longer, hence my cautions about restrooms!
  • If you have an open wound that brushes against an infected person who is sweating heavily, then you're at risk of infection.

None of the above is the case if the infected person is not experiencing symptoms!

Just because you're exposed doesn't mean that you'll necessarily get it, but it appears that no one really knows how likely you are to catch it once exposed. I remember at least one case of exposure in a laboratory setting that did NOT result in ebola.

Basic precautionary procedures if ebola shows up in your area, IMO:

• WASH THOSE HANDS! Don't touch your face.
  • Keep open wounds covered well.
  • Stay out of crowded and poorly ventilated areas.
  • Avoid public restrooms at all costs.
  • Avoid buffets and other gatherings that involve eating food.
  • If you have to go to medical facilities, consider wearing a mask and goggles in addition to the above.

Those aren't extreme measures, and are very common sense and non-panic inducing. (Though not so good for buffet restaurants.) How bad would it be for the media and officials to stress this?

It really doesn't surprise me that his family and friends included school aged children.  I'm taking a wild guess that he's a fairly "normal" man.

If people aren't expecting others who had contact with him to perhaps have contacted it from him, then maybe they should brace themselves for that news.

IF a "second wave" of people start getting it - those who never had any direct contact with him - then it could be cause for wider concern IMO.

Until then, if you or someone you know had contact with him, please contact authorities.  I doubt the rest of us need to worry at all about ebola.  There's enough we can worry about (flu, etc) if we care to.  I work in a public school getting exposed to oodles of things daily - my very own petri dish. I also shop and venture out in public.  I really don't worry about it, but I do wash my hands when I can.  

If a second or third wave start coming down with things without a direct link/understanding of how it happened, then it might be worth worrying about what is next.

Suggesting we close our borders and refuse to let any flights from Africa into the U.S. constitutes going chicken little. I'm gonna go out on a limb and wager 90+% of the posters to this thread and the previous/locked one agree.

Um, we discussed this yesterday.  When asked to clarify, I said the countries in Africa affected.  People just like to nitpick, even after I clarified.  I guess some enjoy arguing.  

Sounds like they are now discussing exactly what I said yesterday.  

That is exactly my concern, but people are in denial and want to talk about other nonsensical things (like whether we all know Africa is a large continent).  

In the meantime, what I feared is already going on:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/01/texas-ebola-patient/16525649/

From your posted article:

but it's contained to the specific family members and close friends at this moment."

The director continued to assure residents that the public isn't at risk because health officials have the virus contained.

And I would assume that those being monitored are probably being "quarantined" at home.. something that's implied in another of your news links by the governor

But your posts do scream w/ a "chicken little" type of paranoia

"the children had contact with the patient and are being monitored at home, Texas Gov. Rick Perry said today in a press conference."

That's the risk of their job, as it is w/ nurses and doctors, and I'm sure they take the  proper precautions dealing w/ any patient.. gloves, proper hand washing, etc, etc.   

That is exactly my concern, but people are in denial and want to talk about other nonsensical things (like whether we all know Africa is a large continent).  

In the meantime, what I feared is already going on:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/01/texas-ebola-patient/16525649/

You are the one who initially said we ought to quarantine Africa.

As has been mentioned, yes, it can survive on surfaces. Here's a very simple run down on how ebola is spread:

Ebola has to enter your via infected fluids to fluid/membranes like through an open wound or the eyes, mouth, or nose.

• If you touch an infected surface and then touch your mouth, stick your finger in your nose, or rub your eyes, you're at risk of infection.
  • If someone vomits or has explosive diarrhea or is coughing and the particles are in the air and you breathe them in or it gets in your eyes, you're at risk of infection. ---- Please understand: this is does not mean it's airborne! The particles won't stay in the air long enough to be considered that, but no one knows exactly how long they will be in the air...and poor ventilation and air circulation will help it to stay in the air longer, hence my cautions about restrooms!
  • If you have an open wound that brushes against an infected person who is sweating heavily, then you're at risk of infection.

None of the above is the case if the infected person is not experiencing symptoms!

Just because you're exposed doesn't mean that you'll necessarily get it, but it appears that no one really knows how likely you are to catch it once exposed. I remember at least one case of exposure in a laboratory setting that did NOT result in ebola.

Basic precautionary procedures if ebola shows up in your area, IMO:

• WASH THOSE HANDS! Don't touch your face.
  • Keep open wounds covered well.
  • Stay out of crowded and poorly ventilated areas.
  • Avoid public restrooms at all costs.
  • Avoid buffets and other gatherings that involve eating food.
  • If you have to go to medical facilities, consider wearing a mask and goggles in addition to the above.

Those aren't extreme measures, and are very common sense and non-panic inducing. (Though not so good for buffet restaurants.) How bad would it be for the media and officials to stress this?

Avoid public restrooms at all costs ... hmm.  I don't want ebola but I really don't want to wet my pants either.  Major dilemma.  

You are the one who initially said we ought to quarantine Africa.

I seriously wonder if people aren't so great at reading comprehension or if they just like to argue. 

Because of the belief that it isn't going to get out of control.  Most people seem to have a casual attitude about this.

I'm pretty sure they are not quarantining them because they are asymptomatic and don't need to be quarantined. They are monitoring them closely to see if that changes. That doesn't seem like a casual attitude to me.

Avoid public restrooms at all costs ... hmm.  I don't want ebola but I really don't want to wet my pants either.  Major dilemma.  

Well... in many of our microbio experiments, restrooms are far cleaner than other places.  I'll take my chances with the restrooms.

I seriously wonder if people aren't so great at reading comprehension or if they just like to argue. 

As you seem to be the one who keeps coming in and pushing people's buttons, I assume that you just like to argue.

And I wish they would close TX borders.. it's too dang crowded already.

You said,

From what I am reading, they are not dead.  [/size]

Why were they allowed to travel from Africa into the U.S.?  It's like asking for it to happen.

and

Um, if they want to partake in risky activities (such as flying into Africa in the middle of the ebola crisis), then no, they should not be allowed back in.  Travel should be closed in and out of Africa.  Period.  Everyone else shouldn't have to suffer because they wanted to go to Africa.

It was only *after* people said that was impossible that you said,

Okay, so maybe that isn't going to happen, but what about the countries affected? Why was this person free to fly into here to visit family? Do you feel it is fine for U.S. citizens to be exposed because of this one person?

And I just like to argue? This thread was going perfectly fine.

It's funny because I spoke with a judge this morning, and when I brought up the ebola situation in Dallas, the first thing he said was:  "Why are they allowing flights out of Africa?"  I almost laughed.  It was understood he meant the areas affected, but those areas are in Africa, so it is not incorrect to say such a thing.  The news refers to the outbreak in Africa because it is in Africa.  

This argument on here is honestly ridiculous, and I will avoid feeding it. 

One last time:  I do think the countries IN AFRICA that are affected should have travel bans.  I'm entitled to my opinion and others feel the same.  Thanks for understanding... or not.

I'm dying here.  :lol:

As for ebola-I'm not worried.  I know proper hand washing and disease prevention.  

I know one of the recommendations is proper hand washing but when I see these doctors and nurses in protective suits, somehow the recommendation to wash your hands doesn't inspire confidence.  :mellow:

As you seem to be the one who keeps coming in and pushing people's buttons, I assume that you just like to argue.

And I wish they would close TX borders.. it's too dang crowded already.

How have I done that?  I posted a link to the news article yesterday, and said I'm not surprised.  I then shared MY OPINION on how it should be handled to stop the spread.  People didn't like that and argued it, but it's my opinion! 

You said,

and

It was only *after* people said that was impossible that you said,

And I just like to argue? This thread was going perfectly fine.

You leave out the parts where I repeatedly explain that I just meant the countries in Africa affected.  Of course.

You posted:

Why were they allowed to travel from Africa into the U.S.?  It's like asking for it to happen.

And others chimed in to explain their viewpoint, which was isolating and restricting flights from affected areas wouldn't be good strategy and why. Part of that "why" was that Africa is a big continent with a relatively few areas/countries involved in the outbreak. No one was nit-picking. They were discussing. In detail.

I think most people on this forum have pretty decent reading comprehension.