Menu

2015 College acceptances - is this where it goes?

momofkhm

Congrats to everyone! I'm enjoying reading every post 

University of Alabama Huntsville gives a full ride to ACT scores of 34 with a GPA 4.0. 

UAH is very high on my dd's list right now (she's a junior). I was pleasantly surprised at how high they rank in research, internships, etc, and dd is thrilled at the idea of not sharing a bedroom, lol. 

Dd 4/4!! For all EA
Presidential scholarship from Tulane 32,000 per yr. Tulane is one of her top choices.  

Awesome! We are in NOLA; are you guys nearby as well, or would she travel here? 

• Like 1

So far, dd is 3 for 4.  She's been accepted to Wingate University, High Point University and Elon University, all with their presidential scholarships.  She did not get into Davidson.  At this time, Elon is her top choice. She is still waiting to hear from UNC-Charlotte (January 1) and Wake Forest (April 1).  

• Like 30

DS and DD found out this morning that they were accepted into Bard College at Simon's Rock. They each received a scholarship, but we need to wait a week or so to receive their complete financial aid packages. The school is very expensive, so they may or may not attend. Regardless, they are both extremly happy right now just knowing they got in.

• Like 35

This is one of my favorite threads each year!!  Especially this year as my twin daughters are seniors!!

They have been accepted to every school we applied to so far:

Baylor University with $64,000 scholarship each ($16,000 per year)

Abilene Christian with $80,000 Scholarship each ($20,000 per year)

Santa Clara University (haven't heard if any scholarship yet)

St. Mary's of California with $96,000 scholarship each ($24,000 per year)

Texas Christian University (haven't heard if any scholarship yet)

They should hear from Southern Methodist University this week and University of San Diego in February.

Congrats to everyone!!  It is such an amazing accomplishment!

Grace

• Like 39

Northern calif. Planning on attending the scholars weekend. How do you like NOLA?

Love it, but then again I'm a native! We don't live right in the city but 15-20 minutes away . . . across the river on what is known as the west bank even though parts of the east bank are further west.  

Tulane is in a fabulous location for getting to know the city. You can walk to Audubon Park and it's directly on the St. Charles streetcar line if you want to go further.  

Have you guys looked at Loyola University at all? It's right next door to Tulane, so you could easily see it on the same visit. 

• Like 1

Not an official acceptance, but we found out yesterday that my son received TWO Congressional nominations for the US Naval Academy!! The sad and ironic part is that he doesn't know yet, since he is away at leadership school for Young Marines and they were required to relinquish their phones until Monday night. He will be so relieved!

• Like 44

This is one of my favorite threads each year!!  Especially this year as my twin daughters are seniors!!

They have been accepted to every school we applied to so far:

Baylor University with $64,000 scholarship each

Abilene Christian with $80,000 Scholarship each

Santa Clara University (haven't heard if any scholarship yet)

St. Mary's of California with $96,000 scholarship each

Texas Christian University (haven't heard if any scholarship yet)

They should hear from Southern Methodist University this week and University of San Diego in February.

Congrats to everyone!!  It is such an amazing accomplishment!

Grace

Congratulations to your DDs. Can you clarify for me the amount of scholarships?  Is that per year or over four years? I assume they are for four years.  I am not trying to be snarky or doubt you in anyway but these amounts blow DS's first scholarship offer out of the water.

My son was accepted into Mercer with a $20,000 a year scholarship and an invitation to their scholarship weekend. He was invited to attend a small business scholarship weekend which is great as he already has a small business teaching chess. He will from Georgia Tech in January. Those are the only two to which he applied. We will have to wait and see.

• Like 27

Congratulations to your DDs. Can you clarify for me the amount of scholarships? Is that per year or over four years? I assume they are for four years. I am not trying to be snarky or doubt you in anyway but these amounts blow DS's first scholarship offer out of the water.

The amts she shared are not that unusual. It really depends on the school and the applicant. Some schools are well-known for giving merit $$ based on stats and the amts, even if not published, seem pretty predictable. Case, for example, is pretty consistent about offering $30,000/yr to high performing students. Wooster is similar.

Others publish it on their websites. For example, Alabama offers guaranteed full-tuition, so the award is higher for OOS students than instate, but if you have over a 3.5 GPA and a 1400+ CR&M, you know that you are tuition free. If you major in engineering, you get $2500 more, etc. UAH offers full-tuition and free housing for a 1490 or 34 and a 4.0 GPA. There is no wondering what the award will be. Makes it less stressful bc you know the COA before you even apply.

Some depts offer scholarships. Some honors programs offer additional $$. Your ds is very qualified. There are great scholarship opportunities out there if he searches for them.

• Like 7

The amts she shared are not that unusual. It really depends on the school and the applicant. Some schools are well-known for giving merit $$ based on stats and the amts, even if not published, seem pretty predictable. Case, for example, is pretty consistent about offering $30,000/yr to high performing students. Wooster is similar.

Others publish it on their websites. For example, Alabama offers guaranteed full-tuition, so the award is higher for OOS students than instate, but if you have over a 3.5 GPA and a 1400+ CR&M, you know that you are tuition free. If you major in engineering, you get $2500 more, etc. UAH offers full-tuition and free housing for a 1490 or 34 and a 4.0 GPA. There is no wondering what the award will be. Makes it less stressful bc you know the COA before you even apply.

Some depts offer scholarships. Some honors programs offer additional $$. Your ds is very qualified. There are great scholarship opportunities out there if he searches for them.

Thanks for the reply. I was surprised by the amounts because everyone else had been posting 'per year' and this one was just a sum.  I was thinking "Holy Canoli"!!  It's the possible inclusion of special and department scholarships that prompted me to ask.  I guess I was wondering if the amounts given included those and were for each year.  Let's just chalk up my confusion to sugar overload from drinking a liter of lemonade during a movie.  ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I was surprised by the amounts because everyone else had been posting 'per year' and this one was just a sum. I was thinking "Holy Canoli"!! It's the possible inclusion of special and department scholarships that prompted me to ask. I guess I was wondering if the amounts given included those and were for each year. Let's just chalk up my confusion to sugar overload from drinking a liter of lemonade during a movie. ;)

:) Yeah, posting it that way was unusual, but considering the COA at the most elite institutions is not $90,000/yr, that was sort of a tip off. I have seen multiple posts on various sites talking in terms of "my child was awarded $500,000 worth of scholarships." The only way that makes sense is if they took every offer X4 and + them all together. (The part about how many schools they applied to is lost in the translation. :) )

• Like 4

Congratulations to your DDs. Can you clarify for me the amount of scholarships?  Is that per year or over four years? I assume they are for four years.  I am not trying to be snarky or doubt you in anyway but these amounts blow DS's first scholarship offer out of the water.

The scholarships are for all 4 years.  Sorry for the confusion.  Some schools reported it as "per year" and some as "dollar amount divided over 4 years or over 8 semesters".  

I did not intend to make the scholarships seem larger than they are.  Sorry. I will edit the post to make it clearer.

Congrats to your son.

• Like 3

I can't imagine sending 2 off to school at the same time, one was nerve wracking enough for me! Do your daughters want to attend the same school?

Yes, they are identical twins and very close.  We lived in Texas but moved to California this summer.  When we lived in Texas, Baylor and SMU were their top picks (and both less than 1.5 hours from home).  Since our move, we had them apply to a few Cali schools too, but told them if they do go back to Texas it would have to be together.  

It was overwhelming thinking of sending them both to college at the same time, but I don't even have words to describe the feeling of sending both to college in another state.  So proud of their accomplishments but so sad to have our 12 year "homeschooling experiment" coming to an end.  :(

• Like 13

All this twin talk has me thinking a great deal. I still don't know if I am comfortable with the twins going to Simon's Rock (especially because they will have just turned 16), but if they do go I know I will feel better that they are together. I do wonder how hard the adjustment will be for me and my younger son. 

Katilac

No to loyola. Not that we didn't consider, but she is still waiting RD for 5, and will apply to 4 others within the next two weeks. I think that is enough!

Tulane really looks great. Most likely Biochem but tropical medicine and infectious diseases sound intriguing. She IS NOT the party girl, though.

Congrats to everyone!!  I always enjoy this thread.

I'd like to add my son's success, who only homeschooled in 7th grade, but started the journey for our family.  

With a low SAT score and very average grades - but a kid with a strong commitment to community and sports and whose character was revealed through an insightful essay - my son was accepted at some wonderful, regional schools.

Susquehanna University - applied early decision and received $21,000 merit aid!!  This is where he will go.

Elizabethtown (I loved this school), McDaniel, Moravian, West Chester were also acceptances.  The first two with very nice merit awards.

After going through the college search with my older son, who looked at very different schools, academically and socially, I can now say there are fabulous schools for every type of kid!

• Like 38

The scholarships are for all 4 years.  Sorry for the confusion.  Some schools reported it as "per year" and some as "dollar amount divided over 4 years or over 8 semesters".  

I did not intend to make the scholarships seem larger than they are.  Sorry. I will edit the post to make it clearer.

Congrats to your son.

Please, please, please do not apologize.  The issue is mine.  My college application nerves are raw and frazzled and I wasn't thinking clearly. Rationally, I knew what it meant.

Please accept a cyber chai (the best I can do under the cirmcumstances; if we were near each other it would be a steaming, frothy cup of vanilla chai goodness) and my apology.

I am so very happy for your girls and for you. ((Grace))

• Like 3

Katilac

No to loyola. Not that we didn't consider, but she is still waiting RD for 5, and will apply to 4 others within the next two weeks. I think that is enough!

Tulane really looks great. Most likely Biochem but tropical medicine and infectious diseases sound intriguing. She IS NOT the party girl, though.

But Loyola is beautiful, in a Hogwarts kind of way, and it's currently higher on my dd's list than Tulane - our dds could be roomies some day, lol. 

It's easy to find a party here but also easy to find lots of other things to do, no worries there.

Congrats to everyone!!  I always enjoy this thread.

I'd like to add my son's success, who only homeschooled in 7th grade, but started the journey for our family.  

With a low SAT score and very average grades - but a kid with a strong commitment to community and sports and whose character was revealed through an insightful essay - my son was accepted at some wonderful, regional schools.

Susquehanna University - applied early decision and received $21,000 merit aid!!  This is where he will go.

Elizabethtown (I loved this school), McDaniel, Moravian, West Chester were also acceptances.  The first two with very nice merit awards.

After going through the college search with my older son, who looked at very different schools, academically and socially, I can now say there are fabulous schools for every type of kid!

That's great to hear! Congrats to him. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As of 2/9/15 I am no longer updating this list. Instead, I am updating the thread titled "2015 College Acceptances - List Only" which will make it easier for people to find the cumulative list. Please continue to chat about and celebrate admissions on this thread. 

UPDATED 2/9/15

I thought I'd do a cumulative list up to this point. TWTM Class of 2015 is pretty impressive!

Number Crunching (as of 2/9/2015): 

39 Well Trained Teachers 

41 Well Trained Students

97 Admissions

80 Universities

1 Service Academy Appointment

Abilene Christian University
twin daughters of Grace (scholarship)

daughter of Joanne (scholarship)

Alma College
son of FaithManor (scholarship)

Appalachian State University
son of TechWife

Bard College
son of Jilly (scholarship)
daughter of Jilly (scholarship)

Baylor University
son of seekinghim45

Bennington College

daughter of Emmie

Biola University
daughter of Sassenach

Campbell University
daughter of momofkhm

Case Western Reserve University
son of snowbeltmom (scholarship)
daughter of at the beach (scholarship)

Clarkson University

Daughter of Jen in NY 

College of Wooster

Colorado School of Mines
son of dhudson
son of EKS

Drexel University
son of Catherine (scholarship)

Drury University
son of Momto2Ns

Eckerd College
son of ScoutermominIL (Trustee Scholarship)

Elizabethtown College
daughter of lisabees

Elon University
daughter of MamaAkins

Franklin College
son of TibbieDunbar (scholarship)

George Fox University
daughter of bugs

Grace College - Indianapolis
son of TibbieDunbar (scholarship)

Grinnell College

son of ScoutermominIL

High Point University
daughter of MamaAkins

Houston Baptist
son of seekinghim45

Iowa State University
son of Heather in PNW (scholarship)

Ithaca College

daughter of gingersmom (scholarship)

James Madison University
daughter of Quill

John Carroll University

Lee University

daughter of mom31257 (full tuition scholarship)

Linfield College
daughter of bugs

Louisiana Tech University
son of Heather in PNW (full ride scholarship - tuition, room, board, fees)

McDaniel College
daughter of lisabees

Maryland Institute College of Art 

daughter of Elise (merit aid)

Mercer University
son of Imrich (scholarship)

Michigan Technological University

Missouri State University
son of momto2Ns (scholarship)

Missouri Western State  University

son of elegantlion

Montana State University

Moravian College
daughter of lisabees

New College of Florida

daughter of shewhoseeks

Northern Illinois University
son of ScoutermominIL (Honors College, Trustee Scholarship)

Northern Michigan University
son of FaithManor

Ohio State University
daughter of at the beach (Honors/Scholars Admission)

Old Dominion University

daughter of Elise (Honors College, Merit Aid)

Our Lady of the Lake University

Rhodes College 

daughter of transientChris

Ringling College of Art and Design

Rocky Mountain College
son of Nicole M

Sam Houston State University

daughter of Joanne

Santa Clara University
twin daughters of Grace

Savannah College of Art & Design

Schreiner University

Seattle Pacific University
daughter of bugs

Southern Methodist University

twin daughters of Grace (scholarships)

daughter of shewhoseeks

St. Mary's College of California

St. Mary's College of Maryland

​daughter of Quill (scholarship)

Susquehanna University
son of lisabees (scholarship)

Texas A & M University

son of NancyNellen

Texas Christian University
twin daughters of Grace (scholarships)

Tulane University
daughter of Timbers6 (Presidential Scholarship)

United States Military Academy - West Point

son of AFWife Claire

University at Buffalo - The State University of New York 

daughter of Jen in NY

University of Alabama - Huntsville
son of Heather in PNW (full tuition scholarship)

University of Alabama - Tuscaloosa
son of ScoutermominIL (Presidential Scholarship, Honors College,  full tuition)
son of Supertechmom (Honors College, full scholarship)
son of Heather in PNW (Presidential Scholarship, full tuition)

University of Colorado - Boulder
son of dhudson (Honors program, scholarship)

University of Delaware

daughter of Quill

University of Indianapolis
son of TibbieDunbar (scholarship, Honor's College)

University of Mary Hardin-Baylor

daughter of Joanne

University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
son of FaithManor

University of Michigan - Flint
son of FaithManor

University of North Carolina - Asheville
son of Supertechmom

University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill

daughter of shewhoseeks

University of North Georgia
son of Annie G (Army ROTC)
son of Night Elf

University of Oklahoma

daughter of shewhoseeks

University of St. Thomas
daughter of Joanne

Vanderbilt University

daughter of paintmisha

Virginia Commonwealth University

daughter of Elise (full tuition scholarship, Honors College) 

Wesleyan University - CT
son of Maria T

West Chester University
daughter of lisabees

Western Michigan University
son fo FaithManor

Westminster College - Salt Lake City
son of Nicole M

Whitworth University
daughter of bugs

Wingate University
daugher of MamaAkins

Worcester Polytechnic Institute
son of EKS

• Like 33

....   ....   ....   ....   ....   ....   ....

You can't hear it, but that's me drumming my fingers on the table waiting for a letter... any kind of letter!!... for dd#2.

So happy for everyone that has already heard!!!! What an amazing array of schools!

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

I'll try not to be too jealous. :D

• Like 11

....   ....   ....   ....   ....   ....   ....

You can't hear it, but that's me drumming my fingers on the table waiting for a letter... any kind of letter!!... for dd#2.

I'll try not to be too jealous. :D

((Jen))  ((Jen's DD))

--

I am surprised that no one has posted anything about Uni of Alabama (any of the campuses).  Everyone said they gave such nice merit aid.  Did anyone apply to UA?  Receive any merit aid?

• Like 4

((Jen))  ((Jen's DD))

--

I am surprised that no one has posted anything about Uni of Alamaba (any of the campuses).  Everyone said they gave such nice merit aid.  Did anyone apply to UA?  Receive any merit aid?

dd is only a junior, so she won't apply to next year, but they are definitely on her list! we are visiting Huntsville, Tuscaloosa, and Birmingham next month if anyone has anything they want me to check on. 

At this point, she doesn't see herself at the Birmingham campus, but the three of them are in a nice neat row on the interstate, so we will go ahead and visit. Things can change quickly when you are 16. 

Huntsville is at the top of this list, and I'd say in her top 3 overall. 

• Like 1

Good news updates!!

DS has finally heard from a few of his rolling admissions schools.

He has been accepted to 3 schools.  Yay!

Here's his acceptance list:

NIU - Honors College, Trustee Scholarship

Eckerd College - Trustee Scholarship

Univ of Alabama (Tuscaloosa) - Presidential Scholarship (full tuition)

He heard from UA in yesterday's mail. (Coincidence since I had queried if anyone had applied or heard).  Thank you to everyone who suggested UA.

I feel much more relaxed knowing he has options.  He is now working on scholarship applications and touching base with his other schools so he can have points of demonstrated interest.

Thanks so much for putting up with my neurotic behavior.  ;)

• Like 37

I have an update too. Over Christmas break I convinced ds to apply to his second choice as a financial safety. He got the acceptance yesterday. So he has now been accepted to both Drury University and Missouri State University.

We know he is in the top category of automatic academic scholarships at both Universities, but he hasn't gotten any actual numbers yet. I'm jealous of all the merit aid offers I see posted.

• Like 33

I haven't been around much in the last few years, but you people were so helpful when my older son was applying to schools several years ago, and each year I checked in to see how the college acceptances were going.  Very exciting to see all the younger siblings getting in to various places now, too!  Congratulations to everyone!

My younger son has been admitted to two schools with aviation degrees, Westminster College in Salt Lake City and Rocky Mountain College in Billings, and to his brother's alma mater as well (although they don't have an aviation degree, so it's not really an option—he applied mostly out of loyalty to the brudder).  He hasn't applied yet to Embry-Riddle, North Dakota or Central Washington, but those are also on his list, with good aviation programs.

But, guys!  What is UP with the congratulations phone calls?!  Totally ruins the surprise of the big envelope!  Is nothing sacred?!  Not that I'm complaining, but my goodness.  

• Like 27

EKS - My son says to let him know what your son likes to do and he will introduce him to people he knows who do those things, if he knows any, and that yours is welcome to come play settlers, or whatever he likes to play, with his apartment mates if he needs to get off campus. He says that he and his friends have sworn that theirs will be a safe off campus house for freshmen. (I know my son had a bad experience with one freshman year, or rather, one was unsafe for the girls he knew.) -Nan

• Like 9

EKS - My son says to let him know what your son likes to do and he will introduce him to people he knows who do those things, if he knows any, and that yours is welcome to come play settlers, or whatever he likes to play, with his apartment mates if he needs to get off campus. He says that he and his friends have sworn that theirs will be a safe off campus house for freshmen. (I know my son had a bad experience with one freshman year, or rather, one was unsafe for the girls he knew.) -Nan

Nan--Thanks so much for this!  I'll let my son know. He's so excited to be going to WPI and it will be great for him to have a contact there!--Kai

• Like 7

Posting for my ds who is in "real" school since ninth grade-he got an acceptance to Drexel with a nice merit offer (though it doesn't go far against their really outrageous tuition).  It's his safety...but soooo nice to have that first acceptance.

And no big envelopes here-it was an email notification. 

• Like 32