Menu

My exciting news

Melissa in Australia

Dh and I have been on the Permanent Care/Adoption waiting list for just over 3  years for  a child from the Foster Care System.

we were just about to give up

We were notified last week that we have been matched with

TWIN BOYS age 3 :hurray:

We went and visited them on the weekend ( just DH and I ) and will have transition in 10 days.

They are SOO cute

I'm curious....does this mean your placement will be absolutely permanent? I am so interested in doing this but all the things I have heard about foster care in Australia have been discouraging.

congrats on your new additions. I'd love to have a couple more little boys.

Placement should be absolutely permanent until the children are 18. It is  slightly different to foster care, though the children that go up for permanent care do come out of the foster care system. The screening /application process are more rigorous than the foster care system, and they try to match the children to a 'profile' they develop of your family.

Placement should be absolutely permanent until the children are 18. It is slightly different to foster care, though the children that go up for permanent care do come out of the foster care system. The screening /application process are more rigorous than the foster care system, and they try to match the children to a 'profile' they develop of your family.

so does that mean you actually adopt them....or do you get permanent guardianship?

I have a friend that has two foster kids. They are permanent guardianship...even though one of the kids bio parent has died. she still has to report to the department about everything. For instance...she took them on a trip out of State and she had to send in a written plan saying every town she was driving through, how long they would be gone, the names of people the girls would be coming into contact with, where they were staying etc etc.

It seems so much hassle and like the kids are not really yours if you are still requesting permission for everything you do despite having permanent guardianship. I am in SA so maybe the rules are different here.

Oh, Melissa, that is such ridiculously exciting news!!  Get some sleep now, okay?  :-)

My parents had a hard time conceiving, and they were in the process of adopting when I happened.  They stopped the adoption process because they did not think they could handle multiple babies, and it was a good thing b/c my mom almost died after I was born.  However, I still wonder what it would have been like to have twin red-headed older brothers, 2 years older than me.  Wouldn't that have been a kick!  But I'm thrilled with the adoptive younger brother I have and might never have known in the other scenario.

God is good the way he puts families together.