Menu

Favorite homemade gifts from kids

Farrar

Trying to be a little more proactive about homemade Christmas gifts this year. What are your favorite projects that kids can make? All three sets of grandparents like to get homemade things. Some ideas can repeat, but others really can't. Tutorial links appreciated when appropriate. I hate giving things that no one wants, so extra points for utile suggestions, food suggestions, and for items that automatically expire (the calendar is nice like that).

Our three biggest hits from the past, to get the thread rolling...

* Woven potholders on a loop loom

* Colored potholders (fabric markers on a premade white potholder, perfect for when they were really little - one set of grandparents still uses theirs)

* Homemade art calendars - so we take original artwork, laminate it with the opposite calendar page on the back, and bind the whole thing with a coil binding at Staples - this is always a hit with one grandmother - less with the others

We've done other things - lockets made from pressing leaves in Sculpey similar to the project on this link (they were just so-so), photos with homemade magnetic fridge picture frames (good idea that the kids, for whatever reason didn't invest enough effort in), printed handkerchiefs (these were actually super cool, just also very specific - only dh really wanted them), and a few other things...

Our biggest hit was buying clear checkbook covers. I cut paper the right size and had the kids paint them with watercolors. They were a huge hit and all the grandparents still use them.

Another thing we did was make key chains. I bought shrinky dinks and cut them into large ovals with a big hole on one end. The kids decorated them and after they were baked we out them on key chain loops. 

I am curious what other ideas people have! I don't have a plan yet for this year!:)

When they were younger, the kids decorated mugs with those ceramic paint pens, which were a big hit with all the grandparents. Lots of home-made Christmas ornaments over the years. DD12 has also done small cross-stitch kits and knitted lots of scarves. She's working on a granny square lap blanket for her grandmother for Christmas this year. My sister once made throw pillows by blowing up my niece's drawings and printing them on fabric. My SIL did a similar thing with photos and drawings and made it into a quilt.

Homemade dog treats are well received!

Bath salts (for the ladies)

Christmas ornaments that involve the children's hands (we did pot-holders w/their hands one year, pillowcases another year; for Thanksgiving, we've done place-holder salt-dough leaves w/people's names - I was surprised how beloved those were by our guests; we sent them home as favors)

Fire starters (for our wood-burning friends & family)

I haven't done this, but I've seen it done - it would be marvelous for a book-loving-grandparent: Get a children's book and have the child write notes / draw through it, and it can be read together. Notes to the Grandparent throughout (like that dad who wrote the letters to his child in the book Oh! The Places You'll Go!)

My son is making paracord bracelets for some of his uncles this year. :)

For myself:

I ask for my kids to find and learn a new song (I love the sappy ones!), and record themselves on the camera while singing it. Seriously, it's my favorite gift. <3

My husband often (annually or so?) will interview the kids about what they like best about me, and he records their answers on 1 piece of paper that they all sign. I LOVE this.

We've made bird feeders. We found large pine cones and attached a ribbon to the top of each one. Then we smeared them with a mixture of warm peanut butter and vegetable shortening and rolled them in birdseed. They're meant to be put up outside for the winter.

People enjoy getting photos of our children.

One year we made chocolate dipped pretzel rods.

We always bake for the neighbors.

If you have a bumper crop of woven potholders, hand-sew enough together to make place mats.  This can be done with a large needle (the plastic kind sometimes included in craft kits) and yarn.

If you have young children with newly-acquired reading skills, make a CD of the child reading a story (to Grandma, to Grandpa, to Aunt Lisa, to whomever. . .).  You can buy those miniature CDs that fit into the inner ring of a disc drive. 

Handprint cookie cutters and a woven photo blanket were both well received (although the kids don't really *make* them).

Christmas ornaments seem to do well with the grandparents.

The kids learning an old special song has also gone well.  Learning some words of the mother-tongue (if it isn't what the kids already speak, of course) goes well too.  Something festive.

Older kids at a group I belong to have done decorative pillow covers - quilted.  If you choose holiday fabrics, it's a fun, seasonal item.  Could be for a season *after* Christmas, so it can be used sooner than a year later.

For many years, my daughter gave decorated candles to family members.  She started at about age three. At that age, I cut out shapes for her to affix to the candles. She continued candle decorating over the years and during her college years made wonderful designs of her own creation. Here is a link to the candle decorating wax that we use:

Stockmar Decorating Wax

ETA: One great advantage of a candle as a gift is that the recipient can either choose to save it or use it.

Regards,
Kareni

you can use beads from seed beads (for earrings) to

small pony beads to

pony beads (for key chains, or even 'luggage ID tags')

they can be used for zipper pulls on jackets or backpacks - or even suitcases to make them unique on that dreaded luggage carousel.

there are all sorts of patterns for free online.

I love anything the kids make me, even if it's completely impractical.

(Like the year I got knit socks. We were living in the Tropics and I hardly even wore SHOES.)

My ex-husband will graciously accept anything the kids make him.

But in private he always asks me how long he has to keep it displayed or in use.

So for him I try to steer the kids towards either the consumable or the highly practical.

And practical by his definition, not by mine.

(Because I see the practicality in cloth napkins or placemats. Alas, he does not!)

We've also done coasters (ceramic tile or cork), mouse pads (cork), custom address labels printed from home ...

paracord lanyards (for keys and work IDs), duct tape (wallets, iPad carry cases, a wildly unpopular tie) ...

tie-dyed sleep tees w/store-bought boxers, a hot pad made of framed wine corks, rice heating pads ...

desserts in a jar (just add eggs types AND the ready-to-pop-in-the-oven-straight-from-freezer pie types) ...

personalized stationary (blank cards/envelopes from craft stores), a perpetual calendar w/important family dates ...

DIY snow globes w/personal pictures, custom burned CD and case art, embroidered pillow cases, a recipe book ...

hand-stitched "deodorant" sacks (filled w/scented baking soda - for shoes, closets, sports bags), garden stones ...

beads: bookmarks, rosaries, eyeglass chains/holder, wine glass markers, jewelry, memory wire napkin holders ...

bottle caps: necklaces, zipper pulls, magnets, (<-- w/resin and 1" circle cutter), a wind chime for my grandmother ...

bra strap hair ties or headbands (my mom loves these for tennis), DIY infinity scarf for the discerning g'ma ;) LOL ...

This year we're venturing into the world of leather crafting.

My FIL purchased a leather holster; my son will custom stamp it for my ex.

If that's a success, he'll stamp belts for the other boys, bracelets for the girls, and key fobs for the grandparents.

The leather stamp tool set is $30. I used 40% off coupons from Michael's & Hobby Lobby to get a few different sets.

Blank belts, bracelets and fobs are available in the same aisle at most mega craft stores - reasonably priced IMO.

I'm using IE. Is that why I can't link anything? Sorry.

But not sorry enough to switch to Chrome or Fox :leaving:!

Our kids make those white plastic plates, every other year.

http://www.makit.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductCode=K1100

We make one plate for each set of grandparents, with a small contribution by each of our kids.

(One year, they each drew their self-portrait. Another time: all of the grandparents' favorite things/hobbies.  Another: a nice drawing of the front of their house.)

We did the Chicago skyline for their great uncle.

This year we're making a simplified Family Tree, with a cartoon-ish tree.

I prefer not giving them gifts that add clutter.  This thread has been very helpful for me.  Thanks!