Menu

Help me understand transcripts (lower grades)

plumshadow

I have to go into the actual classroom so I can finish my degree, so DD will have to go back to a brick and mortar school and will be entering as a second grader.  When we withdrew her in March, we filled out a withdrawal form permitting the current school to send the new cover school her transcripts. We live in AL and must have a cover school (at the time I enrolled her). I got her transcripts by mail on Friday, the envelope is see-through and I can tell its only 1 pieces of paper, basically the paper I sent in showing her grades, subjects and what curriculum I used and it only covers from March 2014 until now. So where is all her information from Kindergarden and most of 1st grade. Shouldn't they have sent that too? I also sent them Seton testing results to add to the transcripts and that is not in there either. I plan on calling them on Monday but would you be worried?

Most states will just place a child that age in the correct grade unless there's a specific reason not to.

You're understandably stressed because there's a transition in your life! But don't borrow trouble, cross that bridge when you come to it and all that. It's probably all going to be fine.

I have to go into the actual classroom so I can finish my degree, so DD will have to go back to a brick and mortar school and will be entering as a second grader.  When we withdrew her in March, we filled out a withdrawal form permitting the current school to send the new cover school her transcripts. We live in AL and must have a cover school (at the time I enrolled her). I got her transcripts by mail on Friday, the envelope is see-through and I can tell its only 1 pieces of paper, basically the paper I sent in showing her grades, subjects and what curriculum I used and it only covers from March 2014 until now. So where is all her information from Kindergarden and most of 1st grade. Shouldn't they have sent that too? I also sent them Seton testing results to add to the transcripts and that is not in there either. I plan on calling them on Monday but would you be worried?

Technically, elementary levels don't have *transcripts*. :-)

The school from which you withdrew your dd when you began homeschooling should have sent her whole cum file. It is what they would have sent to another campus school, and it is what they should have sent to the cover school. The cover school should then forward those cum files to the new school, plus the grades you turned in. Sadly, cover schools tend not to request the cum files and not to make a big deal about it when they don't receive them. And yes, they should have included the test results (the receiving school probably won't care what instructional materials you used).

At any rate, the original campus school still has her cum file with her kindergarten and first grade information, as well as everything else you turned in--immunization records, for example--and probably all sorts of random pieces of paper that schools tend to pack into the cum files. It is possible that the school in which you are enrolling your dc will request that cum from the original school.

However, for a little person who is as young as your dd, none of this will make a difference, anyway. You will want to have your dd's immunization records available. They may do some sort of testing. Under no circumstances should you allow the school to place your dd in a lower grade on general principles (campus schools sometimes do this).

Thank you all so much! It is already an emotional and frustrating process because this is not what we planned. So my anxiety level is already high.  I do tend to have habit of "borrowing trouble". I'm trying to take a deep breath and just roll with it.