Menu

Desperately Need LA Curriculum Suggestions

Jyhwkmama

Please help me. I am appealing to the extensive knowledge base of the Hive!

My son is currently in 5th grade. I removed him from school in April of this year (4th grade) because he was having so many behavior issues associated with his High Functioning Autism. I deschooled until the start of this school year (when my other child returned to public school) when I started homeschooling in earnest.  My son is average or above average IQ, but challenged with fine motor skills. He HATES anything to do with writing. I have been successful in getting him to write a sentence or two here or there, but he groans about it. I am not pushing LA right now because I am focusing on science, math, and social studies in order to respark his love of learning and engage him in school. [i do have him doing Wordly Wise (much of it orally) and a HM reading curriculum where we complete the associated worksheets together.]  It is working fairly well. However, I want him to be able to write paragraphs and basic essays by the time he is done with 8th grade. He needs remediation.

What LA curriculum would you suggest for a kid who HATES to write, but really needs to learn how to write well constructed sentences and paragraphs?

*Must be secular or easily secularized*

Thanks.

Please help me. I am appealing to the extensive knowledge base of the Hive!

My son is currently in 5th grade. I removed him from school in April of this year (4th grade) because he was having so many behavior issues associated with his High Functioning Autism. I deschooled until the start of this school year (when my other child returned to public school) when I started homeschooling in earnest.  My son is average or above average IQ, but challenged with fine motor skills. He HATES anything to do with writing. I have been successful in getting him to write a sentence or two here or there, but he groans about it. I am not pushing LA right now because I am focusing on science, math, and social studies in order to respark his love of learning and engage him in school. [i do have him doing Wordly Wise (much of it orally) and a HM reading curriculum where we complete the associated worksheets together.]  It is working fairly well. However, I want him to be able to write paragraphs and basic essays by the time he is done with 8th grade. He needs remediation.

What LA curriculum would you suggest for a kid who HATES to write, but really needs to learn how to write well constructed sentences and paragraphs?

*Must be secular or easily secularized*

Thanks.

Writing Strands. I'd start with Level 3.