Menu

Just a little tiny rant: apparently it's fundraiser season!

SKL

I just got yet another facebook message pushing some kid's school or scouts fundraiser.

On Wednesday, I sat in on my kids' school chapel (their class was leading it) and saw how the salesman got the kids excited about the school's Christmas fundraiser.  Ugh, they should send the parents out before all that.  Right there in the sanctuary, getting the kids hopping up and down and oohing and aahing about frivolous material goods and $$$ prizes.  My kids know that we don't do fundraisers, so I threw the paperwork in the garbage as soon as they got home from school.  But now I know that I am keeping them from all sorts of rewards and recognition.

On Thursday in the AHG meeting, I was informed that we parents would be asked to plan door-to-door selling excursions in our neighborhoods (for groups of girls) rather than have them all descend on one neighborhood near the meeting place.  I am not thrilled.

On Friday I got a solicitation to buy Boy Scout popcorn etc., and today I got a solicitation for some school.  I am sure this is just the beginning.  Yippie ki yay.

Anyone know any awesome ways to say "NO WAY" to all these people?

No clue on how to say "No way" without coming out any saying it.  Thankfully a lot of the fundraisers are online now.  So much simpler to ignore them.  The little boy that came to our house and I said no to?  That was hard.  And then he had to throw in "But your SO's father bought some popcorn".  *sigh*  We will be buying popcorn so we don't look bad.  Now where are the girl scouts and their cookies??  I can get behind that.

"No thanks, we do not need any overpriced junk thing, nor are we comfortable pressuring asking our friends, neighbors and colleagues to purchase overpriced junk  items. I'll be happy to write a check instead."

The crossed out is what I am thinking and would be saying to my friends. The printed is what I'd say if I were trying very hard to be polite.

As someone who leads a girl scout troop, all I'll say is, the money has to come from somewhere. 

If you want to give, lovely! Fundraisers help those who can't afford to give directly, or don't value the group enough to give directly.

But I agree it's wretched that they get kids hopped up on prizes. I would never be OK with that, in any group that works with kids.

"I believe fundraisers are a scam. The company pockets too much of the money for me to be comfortable purchasing those items. However, because I do care about children, I will give you $1/$5/$10 for this year to go directly to your school/group/whatever." Alternatively "Did you ever think how strange fundraising is? I mean, you ask me to buy wrapping paper I don't want, and then your kid gets a prize YOU don't want, and meanwhile, I could've just given $5 directly to the school and you could've donated an hour of your time, and the school would've come out ahead. Huh. Weird how our society works, isn't it? It's such a bizarre custom, really! Well, it was nice to chat, I gotta go!"

"I'm sorry, the only fundraisers I support are those done by my own children. I just don't have the resources or the room to buy more stuff!" (I use this one on the train all the time. No, I'm not going to buy M&M's to support your school. I don't even know where your school is.)

"Mmm. I'll think about it and get back to you." (Don't try this one on somebody who will expect you to get back to them.)

"I'm afraid I never donate to any organization without researching them first." (This is for cashiers asking if I want to donate to charity, and it is absolutely true.)

"Oh, I'd love to! But, unfortunately, this is a very tight week/month/year for us. We've had a lot of sudden expenses. I wish I could, but...." (You can offer a small amount to go directly to the organization in question, then it's "I wish I could help more, but...." at the end.)

"No. I hate your bratty kids. Now get your vile, germ-ridden hell-spawn away from me before I scream." (Not nice, but it does guarantee you'll never have to say it twice!)

With that said, if some of these solicitations are coming at work, it might be good to talk to the higher-ups about a no solicitations policy, or, perhaps, about limiting solicitations to a sign-up list in the break room so you don't have to tell your co-workers to their face that no means no means not in this lifetime.

I hate fundraisers, too. My son just got a candle packet. I would say maybe remember that the people selling them probably hate it as much as the people being asked.  For my son, I put a thing on FB - "hey, ds is selling candles, if anyone wants some, let me know." I've gotten a few people who want them. Other than that, we don't push it. Also, I am generally pretty upfront with extracurricular activities that we don't do fundraisers. Most of the time, people have been pretty cool with that. As far as people asking me, I just say no and then feel a little bad for them that they have to continue trying to sell something.  I remember going to school and getting hyped up (anyone remember weepuls?!?) and we did it, but I've always hated selling things to people.

When I was an office manager I had to ban all fundraising sales in office. We had a small office (<20) and only like 4-5 with kids in school/activites, but each of their kids seemed to have 3-4 fundraisers. It was making tension and people were avoiding X's office because they heard she had a new sale flyer.

I only like fund raisers where the kids are doing something. Our BS troop does car washes and a yearly bake sale (where,no kidding, they make over $3000). He washes cars and bakes brownies. When/if he complains I remind him that it's to pay for his activity.

I hated the cub scout candy sales. My dh detested them bc he'd prefer the kids didn't even eat candy and hates that we had to sell it to other people's kids. (Oh, and then little sister got into the candy and ate a ton before we noticed!) The buy out was expensive and then the troop kept doing things like having the Blue and Gold at a country club. I wanted to say--and would've if I'd know people better--could we do potluck for the B&G and forget the candy!

My son's swim team provides staffing for the high school meets. They pay the team, the kids see how the older meets work, and I don't have to harass anyone to buy stuff. On top of that, if you don't want to fill service hours, you can pay a flat fee. Win-win.

I remember when I was in third grade and we fundraised to got 2hrs to a wild animal park. We sold jerky sticks for a dollar a piece. The day I came home with them, my dad paid $30 right away so we didn't have to worry about selling the dumb things. We had jerky for snacks for a bit too.

In the less than two months since my kids have been at their new school, they've bought home Yankee Candles and World's Finest Chocolates to sell.  I don't even try to participate.  

DD has Girl Scout candy/magazines.

Our Scout troop doesn't do popcorn, thankfully.

When my kids were in school the pta did a survey on fundraisers - which would you prefer. A letter soliciting funds that go right to the school or a cookie dough fundraiser where the school gets X% of all sales. Would you believe the cookie dough won. Most people wanted something to show for their donation.

I'm not a huge fan of fundraisers, and I think many of the fundraisers chosen by larger organizations (e.g., schools) tend to be more money gluts than anything else, but I do feel fundraisers are somewhat of a necessary evil for many organizations.

But any time a child asks me directly, I absolutely buy.

If it's the parent asking on behalf of their child, I quite comfortably pass.

I can appreciate kids that will go out there and hustle (whether it's for a stupid prize or simple expectation).

I value the experience of learning how to face the unknown and - more importantly - rejection.

It feels wrong to say no to a kid (the messenger) because it's a scam or stupid, useless product.

I come from a sales and marketing background LOL I feel their pain!

Ugh. DS's preschool is in the middle of a fundraiser right now. Coupon books for local restaurants, etc. They're $25! The coupons are not even very good. And every time we've ever had one we use approximately two of the coupons and then forget we have it. But I will feel bad if we don't at least purchase one ourselves, like the school is keeping a secret tally of *those* families... :glare:

Honestly, I'd rather they just raise the tuition a little and start an endowment for families in need. Or at least sell something I could donate or use as a gift.

I truly despise fundraisers.  I remember being a kid and attending the assemblies that get you so excited about the prizes and being disappointed when I didn't get any big prizes despite walking the neighborhood trying to make sales.  I hate saying no to kids that knock on my door but in the past I've always tried to buy something inexpensive.  

Recently the neighbors came knocking selling popcorn for Boy Scouts.  I wanted to say no.  I really wanted to say no because I just spent a ton of money on an activity for my own children that does not do fund raising.  I folded and bought some popcorn, $15 for 6 oz.  I don't really like popcorn but I felt like I had to do it.  

Ugh.  Hate fundraisers.

I know this is a rant and I'm far from a fan of fundraisers.  I couldn't sell anything to save my life.  I don't like the pressure or targeting the children directly by enticing them with prizes.  

But I don't understand why ASKING people is such a horrible thing.  People ask me, I say "no" if I don't want to buy or don't want to support the organization.  But I would never fault them for asking.  Some people actually like & want the products that are being sold, believe it or not.  How are they supposed to know if they don't ask?

But I don't understand why ASKING people is such a horrible thing.  People ask me, I say "no" if I don't want to buy or don't want to support the organization.  But I would never fault them for asking.  Some people actually like & want the products that are being sold, believe it or not.  How are they supposed to know if they don't ask?

Because it can put them in an awkward position if they have to say no to a coworker, or their neighbor's adorable kid, or something like that. Most of us aren't really going to scream at somebody just for asking, buuuuuut....

I know this is a rant and I'm far from a fan of fundraisers.  I couldn't sell anything to save my life.  I don't like the pressure or targeting the children directly by enticing them with prizes.  

I think this is more of a it's me, not you situation.  I wish you wouldn't ask because I have such a difficult time saying no.

I donate money directly to the school.  Plus, most of the school fundraisers are for our kids' individual trip fund.  I'll just pay for the trip when the time comes.  I'm sure some folks appreciate having the option to fundraise instead.

The AHG thing - we just joined and these folks are rather ... I dunno ... I don't feel like I am allowed to question the way things are done.  Nor do I have any interest in stepping up and running things myself, LOL.  They did say up front that there is a buy-out option.  I might still let my kids participate if they do selling as a troop, but I personally don't want to do it!

I used to send my sister-in-law a check every year when she came out with the popcorn thing.

Last year a friend with a kid in Brownies had a dealie where you could send a box of popcorn to the troops overseas, so I did that.

I have no problem ignoring most of the facebook stuff, and when high school students come to my door selling candy bars, I say no, I support other charities.  I have no problem walking past the girl scouts camped outside of stores, either.  I ignore the fundraisers at my kids' gyms etc. etc. etc.

I just ... I'm feeling all fundraised out.  And I have at least 10 more years of this to go through.  Ugh.

I don't think fundraising is fun. But, I do think it is necessary for many groups. Some fundraisers are definitely better than others. I strongly prefer things like car washes, pancake breakfasts, spaghetti dinners, etc to selling junk. I do like the discount cards that a lot of groups sell, those are handy.

It's one thing if a local kid selling girl scout cookies or boy scout popcorn comes to my door, especially if I recognize a neighborhood kid, or the local school or organization they are representing.

However, three or four times over the last few month there have been older kids coming to my door, soliciting for some group I've never heard of.  There's a van idling up the block, that drops off a bunch of kids, they solicit a whole block at once, then pick them up and move on.  This seems sketchy to me, though I feel sorry for the kids.  Who can tell where the money actually goes, or what these organizations are?

I was just talking to other parents about fundraising today.  One of the local school districts not only gets the elementary students hyped up about cheap prizes, but the top salesperson at each school gets a limo ride to a pizza shop for lunch.  The school newsletters and weekly newspaper post pictures of the big salespeople getting into the limo.  We all know that most of the time it's the parents who do the selling and the kids who win often have a parent with a job at a large company or with a large extended family.  Several of the moms told me that the school makes such a big deal of the limo ride that the kids who don't win get very upset.

We were also talking about fundraisers at our children's common activity.  The fundraisers are supposed to help us parents afford the activity, but they usually end up costing us!  In the past we've had raffles with required sales.  Most of us had to buy out our tickets and it cost us more than we got in return.  Another time we had a bake sale and we got back less than we put into our donations.  A group of moms got together, found a lawyer that would work pro bono to make us a legal non-profit, and got a list of possible ideas.  Things that we and other parents would be likely to want because they are things we buy for our children anyway were shot down (water bottles that could be used at the activity, name stickers to be used in clothing/shoes ).  Restaurant nights that would allow us a family night out were shot down.  The business that runs our activity is run by several women who don't have any children.  They decided to do sales of things like kitchen gadgets, jewelry, fancy totebags, and other things that most of us won't support because we're most likely spending our disposable income on our children or our families.  It's very frustrating.  I hate fundraisers!

It's one thing if a local kid selling girl scout cookies or boy scout popcorn comes to my door, especially if I recognize a neighborhood kid, or the local school or organization they are representing.

However, three or four times over the last few month there have been older kids coming to my door, soliciting for some group I've never heard of.  There's a van idling up the block, that drops off a bunch of kids, they solicit a whole block at once, then pick them up and move on.  This seems sketchy to me, though I feel sorry for the kids.  Who can tell where the money actually goes, or what these organizations are?

Is it magazine sales? Those are very sketchy companies. Don't give them money.

http://www.bbb.org/acadiana/news-events/bbb-scam-alerts/2014/06/beware-summer-door-to-door-magazine-sales/

O-6 the Grinch posting. . . If schools districts would manage their money more efficiently and effectively, students would not have to develop panhandling skills.

We no longer buy the scout popcorn because it is so vile-smelling and vile-tasting, it makes us ill. Girl Scout cookies are made from ingredients that we neither ingest willingly, nor wish to serve to other people. We do not buy wrapping paper often because within our immediate family, we are accustomed to recycling paper from gifts that we have received, or to wrapping family gifts in paper grocery bags and decorating the packages. We eat candy only at Pascha. I could continue, but won't.

My incurable soft spots are for school bands and orchestras. I donate money to them when the students come by the house. Bonus dollars for players of french horn or of viola.

Crap I forgot about the Christmas fundraiser that starts next month (the kids sells wreaths, garland and other Christmas greenery). But that is a whole lot easier to sell than $100 raffle tickets and the whole $50 per person dinner and auction thing.

We don't go door to door, we just ask family and friends.

Cali can do the Christmas and Spring flower fundraiser a pretty much in her own. Though I will say that the wreaths and flowers do very well and are worth the money.

However, three or four times over the last few month there have been older kids coming to my door, soliciting for some group I've never heard of. There's a van idling up the block, that drops off a bunch of kids, they solicit a whole block at once, then pick them up and move on. This seems sketchy to me, though I feel sorry for the kids. Who can tell where the money actually goes, or what these organizations are?

Those are usually scams. Don't feed the scammers. The kids are often mistreated by the organizations they "volunteer" for. It's a real racket.

http://www.bbb.org/acadiana/news-events/bbb-scam-alerts/2014/06/beware-summer-door-to-door-magazine-sales/

Here it is sometimes that or sometimes just someone with the same basic idea and stupid pitch about staying out of trouble but they are selling candy or sad looking teddy bears. I swear I have to fight the urge to run out to the street and give the adults driving the van a blunt piece of my mind.

Those are usually scams. Don't feed the scammers. The kids are often mistreated by the organizations they "volunteer" for. It's a real racket.

Yes, indeed.  A friend of mine actually rescued a young man from one of these organizations.  After verifying his story credibly, she gave him a home for a couple of months until he found local assistance with school and housing. 

I am really of two minds on this.  When I was a kid, I had to sell all this crap, and I swore then that I would never say "no" to a kid who asked me directly, and I haven't.  And I also swore that I would never make my kids sell stuff; I would take the buy-out option, and I have.  Now that I am heavily involved in the booster club for one of my kids' activities, however, I sort of see the point of making everyone participate.  There are parents for whom paying for this sport is a real hardship.  Sure, we could all say, "If you can't afford it, don't do it." But if we all have to sell some doughnuts, and the person whose kid really needs the money sells a LOT of doughnuts to make the $500 that is the difference between her participating and having to drop out, well I will just suck it up and sell some doughnuts.  Making us all participate provides cover for those who need to participate, and I am okay with that.

Also, for everyone who says they would rather just donate the cash, charitable giving is just not a part of many families' culture.  Most people will buy something before they will just give $10.  I suppose that is why Team in Training participants run marathons and women do three-day walks for breast cancer:  people who would never write a check to fund leukemia or breast cancer research will sponsor their friend's efforts or buy her kid's wrapping paper.  Is that the most efficient way to raise funds?  Of course not.  But if that is what it takes, that is what it takes.

I'm a massage therapist and trying to change up fundraising!  I'm  offering a 2 month fundraiser at my kids school....any massage services scheduled/purchased w/ the specific code during that time frame, I will donate 15% of the proceeds directly to the school. 

Thinking it will go over WAY better than gift wrap!!

No, it is even sketchier than the magazine sales.  I always (politely) turn them down, but the kids always talk about how they are "raising awareness" for their organization, and learning "leadership skills".  The organizations usually have the word "Christian", or "Leadership" in their names, in the same way that North Korea's formal name is the "People's Republic of North Korea".

Yeah, it rubs me the wrong way when teens bigger than me tell me their hitting me up for money is somehow a constructive occupation, LOL.  The last time I went a-begging I was about 9yo and I felt guilty for Christmas caroling just so I could get something.  LOL.

My problem with fundraising is some groups fund raise to get money and THEN decide what to use the money for.  Or they spend money b/c they have it.  In one group we were part of, the sports teams would run all of these fundraisers and then buy hoodies and sweats (which in my opinion they just should have paid for themselves) and then had money left over and spent it on a severely overpriced meal.  So, people were buying items and donating for "a good cause" and then the money went to less important items.  I tend to lean toward the thought if you want you child to do something, then you pay for it.  If someone in the group cannot afford it, then you all pitch in.

Now, I am fine with fundraising for causes, as that you are doing for others.  

it drives me crazy, too. But what really irks me is the schools that have kids selling magazine subscriptions for $20 or cookie dough for $15. You know, I don't need another magazine subscription and I certainly don't need that cookie dough. I don't need a candy bar, either, but I am quite willing to shell out a buck or two for a candy bar I don't need to help the neighbor kids. I'm not willing to pay $20 for a magazine subscription. My kids only sell candy for soccer at $1 each and have been quite successful. I feel sorry for the kids who have to sell the higher end items.

• 2 weeks later...

This is me too.

We do yard sales to raise $$ for our high adventure trips for boys bouts but the boys work to earn it.

One scout troop near us does a BBQ sale.......they spend about 100 hours cooking and making the homemade pulled pork and sauces and raise about $5,000 per year for their troop.

I have tried very hard to get our troop to consider this INSTEAD of the stupid popcorn sales, but so far I have not succeeded.

I now just buy out our amount and refuse to sell popcorn.  Some people aren't happy with me, but OH WELL.

Dawn

I only like fund raisers where the kids are doing something. Our BS troop does car washes and a yearly bake sale (where,no kidding, they make over $3000). He washes cars and bakes brownies. When/if he complains I remind him that it's to pay for his activity.

I hated the cub scout candy sales. My dh detested them bc he'd prefer the kids didn't even eat candy and hates that we had to sell it to other people's kids. (Oh, and then little sister got into the candy and ate a ton before we noticed!) The buy out was expensive and then the troop kept doing things like having the Blue and Gold at a country club. I wanted to say--and would've if I'd know people better--could we do potluck for the B&G and forget the candy!

When I was an office manager I had to ban all fundraising sales in office. We had a small office (<20) and only like 4-5 with kids in school/activites, but each of their kids seemed to have 3-4 fundraisers. It was making tension and people were avoiding X's office because they heard she had a new sale flyer.

Growing up, my dad would NOT take our fundraisers to work with him and we were not allowed to do it at church. So the only fundraising we did was door to door and sitting at tables outside stores. My dad bought more Girl Scout cookies from us than anyone else, most years. And otherwise donated with personal time and checks for the few things we did.

For the swim-a-thon we were allowed to contact certain relatives and good friends who would want to support us. (it ws support per lap swam up to some maximum willing to spend. So we had to work for that donation!)

I pretty much do the same thing for my kids.

Just got the forms and what not for dd1's wreath sale yesterday. The school does three major ones. The Grand Raffle which ended last month ($100 raffle tickets are a tough sell), the wreaths and in the spring they do flowers. I have much better luck with wreaths and flowers. We only do family and friends, dh will bring it to work only because most of his coworkers are family and we have different things then the rest (others are public school kids and we are all in different districts).

I always say no. I also buy my children a small gift if they pass on it. Yep..I am that in to not doing these. Previously, you would spend hundreds of dollar for your child to get a cheap, falling apart, piece of plastic. Now, we skip spending hundreds of dollars on overpriced things we don't like, and skip on pressuring others to buy them, which I think is rotten. Then, I buy a $10-20 gift for the kids of their picking at the end. Wait until the end, otherwise, they will continue to see the other kids get gifts after the new gift is old. 

If you like the "cause" enough, give the cash. They get way more from a direct cash donation than the small portion of the profit from the fundraiser.

Ugh, my dd4 is going 3 mornings per week to a preschool and we have already had 2 fundraisers and are gearing up for a huge one! It is crazy.

The first was TUPPERWARE! With a kind note advising that each child was expected to sell $70 worth from a tiny little book with not many useful items...of which the school actually receives 40%.

Sorry, but these kids are 3, 4, and 5. I was not about to take my kid around to sell them. (Although I did briefly entertain the idea of purchasing some for my dysfunctional mother for Christmas, since nothing says I love you like a random collection of plastic containers!)

I just made a donation. It is interesting to note that all these fundraisers are NOT to purchase great materials for the kids. They are to provide bonuses and gifts to the teachers. Whilst I do get the philosophy that if you look after the teachers you will get better ones in theory, it would be much more efficient to raise tuition for better benefits and wages, and take up a donation!

I just can't quite get my head around it:(

This is me too.

We do yard sales to raise $$ for our high adventure trips for boys bouts but the boys work to earn it.

One scout troop near us does a BBQ sale.......they spend about 100 hours cooking and making the homemade pulled pork and sauces and raise about $5,000 per year for their troop.

I have tried very hard to get our troop to consider this INSTEAD of the stupid popcorn sales, but so far I have not succeeded.

I now just buy out our amount and refuse to sell popcorn.  Some people aren't happy with me, but OH WELL.

Dawn

Part of the issue with popcorn is that part of the sales are to go to the district.  The district has a vested interest in popcorn sales for that reason.  My son's BS troop did wreath sales at Christmas and that was a good one because lots of people like fresh greenery at that time and they preferred to buy it from the Boy Scouts than anyone else.  We hated popcorn sales as it was so expensive. 

Their non-district fundraiser was the most profitable ... parking and security at an office building during a big festival in our town.  The building didn't want anyone off the street just parking there because they would often use take over spaces reserved for customers, park illegally, plus there were issues of vandalism.  By having the boy scouts charge for parking, their lot was secure, parking spaces for customers were saved and the area was kept much cleaner.  The scouts kept the proceeds.  This helped pay for my son's trip to Philmont!