Menu

Quantum Physics and/or Particle Physics texts for Junior High?

My ds has enjoyed these two courses from the Teaching Company:

Particle Physics for Non-Physicists: A Tour of the Microcosmos

Einstein's Relativity and the Quantum Revolution -- (first half on relativity, second half on quantum mechanics)

Of course you wouldn't want to buy them unless they are on sale (at least I wouldn't), but perhaps your library might carry one or the other.

Thanks Cosmos: I was kind of looking for something like a really colourful and fun textbook, like Apologia, but is there any way of knowing when the Great Courses have these really 'great' sales? I've heard they discount everything hugely, but is there a way to get notification without being bombarded with their newsletters?

They have the sales on and off all year long, discounting different courses at different times. I think the end of the year is a big sale with lots if not all courses on sale. You can also often find them on ebay fairly cheaply. Or get them through audible.

My ds also read this book: A Tour of the Subatomic Zoo which is a short textbook/workbook. I can't compare it to Apologia as I have no experience with that program.

Your son might also enjoy just reading popular science books (i.e. not textbooks) on these topics. If you consult your library I'm sure you'll find several titles.

I am trying to do Quantum physics with my son.  He's 11 yrs old.  Thanks for the Teaching Co. courses recommedations.  My library has one of them.  Some of these were recommended here in the Logic Board:

Six Easy Pieces: Essentials of Physics Explained by Its Most Brilliant Teacher by Richard Feynman. 

There are some graphic novels: Introducing Quantum Theory: A Graphic Guide to Science's Most Puzzling Discovery by J.P. Evoy

Introducing Particle Physics: A Graphic Guide by Tom Whyntie

Alice in Quantumland: An Allegory of Quantum Physics by Robert Gilmore

Exploring Quantum Physics through Hands-On Projects by David Prutchi -- He has a website with lots of info.  This one I found and had my library buy it and I was able to take this book out.

Mr. Thompson in Paperback by George Gamow

101 Quantum questions: what you need to know about the world you can't see  by Kenneth Ford

• 4 weeks later...

I came back because I found on the Crash Course for Quantum Physics there is Particle Physics Part 1 and 2 that would be a good lead in to the Tour of the Subatomic Zoo.

We are going to start the book next week, when I finally get it from the library.

In the past weeks, we have been reading "Introducing Quantum Theory: A Graphic Guide to Science's Most Puzzling Discovery" and I have been letting ds chose what he wants to write about and/or draw about from the book.

But he is clearly looking for something more ao I decided to switch to the Tour Book referenced above.

OP, are you doing the Subatomic Book? How is it going?

Here are some videos from crash course.  We watched the Particles Part 1.  Now I understand the term "subatmoic particle zoo".

Link: https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A0LEVxx8gkpUPnAAEn9XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTB0a3VscjNyBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDM4MF8x?p=crash+course+quantum+physics

I got a headache from looking at so much stuff

Yes!!!! Me too!

We just watched Particle Fever on Netflix last night. Awesome! The documentary follows the lives of several scientists through the start of the LHC up to the confirmation of the Higgs. The film was able to convey the excitement of the scientists ("they're like 6yos who've been invited to a party with all their friends and favorite candy" or something like that, weeee!). Will look up Physics Slams, thanks!