Menu

I need a digital recorder recommendation for son's classes..

Why in the WORLD would you buy just a digital recorder?  I take that back, there are (I think, haven't used them), some digital pens and styli that record audio while you write.  Since he's dysgraphic, I imagine those are out.

There are recording apps you can install on an iPhone, iPhone, or iPad.  There are also apps that will allow you to note take and SYNC the audio and what you're writing/typing.  Seems to me that's where your ds will want to end up.  I'm guessing he could even put an app like that on a macbook air, making it easier to type.  This is a big deal right now in college note taking, from what I can tell, that ability to sync an audio recording the app is making WITH the page where you're typing/writing.  So you can go back to that spot, realize your notes are shallow/vague, and play the audio.

Go techie.   :)

Notability on the App Store on iTunes

I haven't done the record feature, but I use Notability on my iPad.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/audionote-notepad-voice-recorder/id369820957?mt=8  This one turned up with a google search.

Just google for whatever device you have.  I'm sure you'll find apps to do it, even on a laptop.  Yup, just checked, and AudioNote comes in an app for the macbook and iMacs too.  

Spamming you here, sorry, lol.  My dh tried using the recorder on the iPhone with an app and it WORKS GREAT.  But once you get these long files, what do you do with them?  He wasn't experienced enough with the technology to try these other methods of note taking like using apps and syncing audio and what you write/type.  I think the writing is on the wall and our kids need to go that way.  That way you have something you can actually USE rather than hours of audio you realize you can't go back through.

I bought myself a Sony Digital Recorder four years ago to use at the very first homeschool convention I attended.  I recorded some presentations from the rear of the auditorium. It picked up everything spoken - loud and clear.  I still use it all the time.  It came with a digital voice editor software disc that allows me to edit, splice, and burn cd's.  I use mine now for music.  I will record some new vocal exercises or a song I need to memorize for a performance, burn a cd and then use it to practice with in the car.  If you do go with a digital recorder make sure it has the software for your computer - some don't.  It was very inexpensive - $60 at Walmart. 

Also consider a LiveScribe pen -- this would let him take notes, and when he taps on the notes the audio plays back.  Different models connect to the computer in different ways (USB cable vs wireless vs direct to software like Evernote or OneNote), but they all link audio and handwritten notes.

Also consider a LiveScribe pen -- this would let him take notes, and when he taps on the notes the audio plays back.  Different models connect to the computer in different ways (USB cable vs wireless vs direct to software like Evernote or OneNote), but they all link audio and handwritten notes.

He may go that route eventually.  DS has dysgraphia and is currently typing his notes on a computer loaded with Ubuntu.  Looking over at the reviews on Amazon, I can't make heads or tells of the Livescribe.  It seems the wireless pen is hit or miss.  Thank-you!

Why in the WORLD would you buy just a digital recorder?  I take that back, there are (I think, haven't used them), some digital pens and styli that record audio while you write.  Since he's dysgraphic, I imagine those are out.

There are recording apps you can install on an iPhone, iPhone, or iPad.  There are also apps that will allow you to note take and SYNC the audio and what you're writing/typing.  Seems to me that's where your ds will want to end up.  I'm guessing he could even put an app like that on a macbook air, making it easier to type.  This is a big deal right now in college note taking, from what I can tell, that ability to sync an audio recording the app is making WITH the page where you're typing/writing.  So you can go back to that spot, realize your notes are shallow/vague, and play the audio.

Go techie.   :)

Digital recorders are cheap and we are not ready to spring for an IPAD that will be for son's exclusive use.  I expect we will explore the IPAD/keyboard alongside the Livescribe Pen at a later date.

Yes!  Livescribe has been a fantastic addition to my dyslexic daughter's tool chest.  She is finally able to be independent in her classes.  I just wrote up a review of the different models for another WTMer and hopefully it will take a lot of the mystery out of those up and down reviews: http://www.libertyhillhouse.com/2014/09/25/which-livescribe-for-dyslexic-students/

The great thing about a Livescribe is that you son doesn't need to actually write words.  He can doodle his way through class (which has scientifically been shown to increase retention) using Sketchnotes, Mind-mapping or any other system that works for him, yet still capture every word spoken in class.  It also gives him the ability to click on an image he drew, graph he copied, or mathematical equation he worked through, and listen to that exact moment in class.  The technology is truly amazing.  

Do you know if it's legal to record in public classes/ conferences, etc? I was big on recording in my college days and would like to do it even now...but last summer I was told by my BIL policeman(in the USA) that it's illegal to record someone without permission. You can do silent video recordings, but not with audio and not just audio without permission. Or is there a difference in educational settings?

The rules for educational settings are different than speakers in any other setting, as they fall under the Fair Use exemption to copyright law. https://www.lib.purdue.edu/uco/CopyrightBasics/fair_use.html#factors In addition, the ADA further covers protects students with learning challenges.

Obviously, recorded notes are for the student's personal use only, and may not be shared publicly.

Though not legally required in all states, proper etiquette dictates that you notify the professor that you will be recording the lecture, which is easily shared when notifying them of the need for accommodations at the beginning of the semester. Written permission is best legally, so confirm any conversations in writing.

The rules for educational settings are different than speakers in any other setting, as they fall under the Fair Use exemption to copyright law. https://www.lib.purdue.edu/uco/CopyrightBasics/fair_use.html#factors In addition, the ADA further covers protects students with learning challenges.

Obviously, recorded notes are for the student's personal use only, and may not be shared publicly.

Though not legally required in all states, proper etiquette dictates that you notify the professor that you will be recording the lecture, which is easily shared when notifying them of the need for accommodations at the beginning of the semester. Written permission is best legally, so confirm any conversations in writing.

Thank you!

I wonder if it's the same here? One ds told me it wasn't legal but it seems like kids were doing it anyway so maybe there is the same type of exemption...If any internationals are reading this I'm curious about European laws...

Yes!  Livescribe has been a fantastic addition to my dyslexic daughter's tool chest.  She is finally able to be independent in her classes.  I just wrote up a review of the different models for another WTMer and hopefully it will take a lot of the mystery out of those up and down reviews: http://www.libertyhillhouse.com/2014/09/25/which-livescribe-for-dyslexic-students/

The great thing about a Livescribe is that you son doesn't need to actually write words.  He can doodle his way through class (which has scientifically been shown to increase retention) using Sketchnotes, Mind-mapping or any other system that works for him, yet still capture every word spoken in class.  It also gives him the ability to click on an image he drew, graph he copied, or mathematical equation he worked through, and listen to that exact moment in class.  The technology is truly amazing.  

So, DS already types notes but cannot type up teacher illustrations on the fly.  Just so that I understand, you can use the pen like a recorder and if he needs to jot something down by hand quickly, it still all works?  

Does Livescribe sell loose leaf paper that works with the pen?  His Biology teacher provides many handouts with fill in the blanks..Would it be possible to print those handouts to Livescribe paper and then take notes off that?

I was just thinking about this pen for one dc whose handwriting has always been, well, tragic...As an adult at meetings though, this would not then be able to be used unless he had permission to record the meeting (just thinking of when he's trying to take notes at a meeting...), right?

So, DS already types notes but cannot type up teacher illustrations on the fly. Just so that I understand, you can use the pen like a recorder and if he needs to jot something down by hand quickly, it still all works?

Exactly. About 3/4 down on this page is a video explaining how it works: http://www.libertyhillhouse.com/2014/07/22/alternative-note-taking-for-dyslexics/

Does Livescribe sell loose leaf paper that works with the pen? His Biology teacher provides many handouts with fill in the blanks..Would it be possible to print those handouts to Livescribe paper and then take notes off that?

As to printing on livescribe paper: They offer printable paper for free on their site, but I prefer to just pull a sheet out of one of the giant notebooks and send it through the printer. They are perforated and come out easily. You won't be able to see the printed image when you view the document on screen, but that hasn't been a problem for us.

I was just thinking about this pen for one dc whose handwriting has always been, well, tragic...As an adult at meeting though, this would not then be able to be used unless he had permission to record the meeting (just thinking of when he's trying to take notes at a meeting...), right?

Yes, however it would be easy to include a footnote in meeting invitations stating that the conversations may be recorded. It truly depends on what field your child goes into. Some engineering firms would be terrified of information leaking out, but a social work office would love the idea of accurate documentation.

Exactly. About 3/4 down on this page is a video explaining how it works: http://www.libertyhillhouse.com/2014/07/22/alternative-note-taking-for-dyslexics/

As to printing on livescribe paper: They offer printable paper for free on their site, but I prefer to just pull a sheet out of one of the giant notebooks and send it through the printer. They are perforated and come out easily. You won't be able to see the printed image when you view the document on screen, but that hasn't been a problem for us.

Yes, however it would be easy to include a footnote in meeting invitations stating that the conversations may be recorded. It truly depends on what field your child goes into. Some engineering firms would be terrified of information leaking out, but a social work office would love the idea of accurate documentation.

Awesome...And thank-you... :001_smile:

That makes sense...anything that would give away trade secrets would be questionable... Thank you!