Menu

Silly MLA question

What do your homeschool students put in the heading? Light-hearted thread here, but serious answers are okay too!

MLA format calls for name, professor's name, course name, and date:

John Smith

Professor Jones

English 101

23 September 2014

Professor? Course name? :lol:

Ds has been doing MLA format for a couple of years, but not exactly to the letter. Wacky fonts! Fancy titles! And my pet peeve -- no heading. Who needs names and dates is his view. So this year, I'm asking for fully compliant MLA papers. Margins, headings, page numbers, everything. (He can make his own version after I approve the MLA version.) But now I guess I need a professor's name and course names. Course names will probably just be boring English 9, etc., since we haven't really decided yet what will go on the transcript. But a professor name could be interesting. Headmistress Cosmos, perhaps, or Yo Mama?

I had mine put down whatever they wanted for the teacher.

Sometimes it was Mrs. X (my real name), and sometimes it was something funny like "Big Mum" or "She-Who-Reads-This-Paper."

I agree with getting them used to it, but who says that you can't have fun too!

I had mine put down whatever they wanted for the teacher.

Sometimes it was Mrs. X (my real name), and sometimes it was something funny like "Big Mum" or "She-Who-Reads-This-Paper."

I agree with getting them used to it, but who says that you can't have fun too!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this would be a spot for a bit of fun.

She-Who-Reads-This-Paper. :lol:

I'm going to tell my ds it's a good place to suck up. Most Gorgeous and Accomplished Mother might be good choice.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this would be a spot for a bit of fun.

She-Who-Reads-This-Paper. :lol:

I'm going to tell my ds it's a good place to suck up. Most Gorgeous and Accomplished Mother might be good choice.

Yes, last night I was driving my 12th grader to martial arts, and he was talking about all of the things he's going to do when he's driving and has his own money.

I was asking him about various aspects of that, and then threw in, "And you might even take Mom out to lunch for all the years I spent raising and educating you?"

And he said, "I might. But I get to pick the place, and I might use a coupon."

This is one of the areas of MLA where you will find instructors usually have their own ideas. There are areas of leeway within MLA; another example is whether to number the first page or not. I think in all of my dc's courses, One dc has had one instructor total so far who wanted the four-line MLA heading exactly as the example shows. The most common modification has been to omit the instructor name. Once I saw that this was the college standard, I began having my students do the same, both at home and in outside courses. As one professor put it, "I know who I am already." :D I do always require a course title, though.

In case a professor doesn't specify and just says to use MLA, I would teach the correct format in English once. Overall, though, it seemed artificial, so we didn't do it at home.

This is one of the areas of MLA where you will find instructors usually have their own ideas. There are areas of leeway within MLA; another example is whether to number the first page or not. I think in all of my dc's courses, One dc has had one instructor total so far who wanted the four-line MLA heading exactly as the example shows. The most common modification has been to omit the instructor name. Once I saw that this was the college standard, I began having my students do the same, both at home and in outside courses. As one professor put it, "I know who I am already." :D I do always require a course title, though.

In case a professor doesn't specify and just says to use MLA, I would teach the correct format in English once. Overall, though, it seemed artificial, so we didn't do it at home.

Though it might be helpful later for the student to recall for whom he wrote the paper or what the name of that prof was.