Menu

Catholics-.what do you love for science and history?

Meadowlark

I'm beginning to realize as my kids get older that some programs teach things contradictory to our beliefs. I'm not opposed to editing or skipping things that are Protestant, but if there are fantastic programs out there that work for Catholics, I haven't found them yet. Seton seems dry, CTC seems too light...what do you love?

Well, we've used SOTW 1-3 with some substitutions for a few chapters quite happily. (We'll try SOTW4 next year for the first time. I skipped it for a year of American History last time through.)

For the older kids (middle school grades), check out the Catholic Textbook Project. I've heard good things about Sea to Shining Sea. Oldest used Light to the Nations 1 last year & is doing LttN2 this year. The reading level is pretty high and the books are all fairly new (some more than others).

Haven't found anything we even ~like~ for science.  :bigear:

Disclaimer: I have not used this curriculum! 

I know a lot of people who have used the program themselves when they were kids and/or are using it with their kids, Mother of Divine Grace.  I also know the people who founded the curriculum, and I can definitely state you will not find anything that is contradictory to Catholic teachings.   It is a whole program though, and i don't know how easy it would be to extract the history/science from it.  They post their book list for each year, but you have to get the syllabus through them.  Maybe look at the booklist and go from there?

My personal impression of it academically is a bit on the light side (but definitely adequate!), but I also tend to be more heavy on science. If you are preparing your kids for a classical or liberal arts school/education, such as Thomas Aquinas College or Christendom, they will have a great foundation and head start compared to others; really, it does prepare them well for critical thinking.  If you want them to grow to be engineers, maybe find a secular curriculum to supplement when they are older (at least for the science).  

(Oh, and to agree with you: My husband did Seton as a kid, and he totally agrees with you on the dryness.  He emphatically stated our kids would not do Seton.)

Hope that helps!  Good luck, please post whatever you decide so I can maybe add it to my own curriculum!   :)

(Edited the first paragraph for clarity, I got a little wordy the first time around)

I also like the Catholic textbook project texts. We primarily use Connecting with History (aka RC History), which includes the above texts when appropriate.

This year we are trying for the first time Behold & See for science. My 2nd grader is using the grade 2 book, and it is kinda light, I guess, but that's fine with me at that age. You can always add library books. I'm using the grade 6 book with my 4th and 6th grader and I really like it so far. Engaging reading, good experiments, workbook for review.

HTH!

Catholic Textbook project for grades 5 and up for history. For the younger grades, I love the looks of RC History.

I really love CHC's Behold and See science series. I do NOT think that it's too light on any level (and science degree hubby agrees). FWIW, other than the science and religion, I generally say that CHC *is* too light. 

I also love Ellen McHenry's science for grades 5 and up.

We use connecting with history. The lesson plans make it pretty easy to use but you do need to still be involved. It would allow you to combine everyone though. The lesson plans were just released last year iirc so keep that in mind if you are searching reviews that are older and say it is difficult to use.

We use bfsu for science. I plan to stick with it for awhile. Science is my passion and bfsu really lets me dig my teeth in. If I needeed something more laid I would consider behold and see, which gets good reviews, or kolbe, which has lesson plans for secular science with a textbook. I'm not aware of anything for elementary, aside from behold and see, that is religious and also scientifically accurate. Someone posted a link awhile back to some new middle school books that are religious and still use the scientific method. Nova...something? Maybe someone else will remember.

We are using Nancy Larson too. I think that sticking with a secular science will be best. As we are in the process of converting, it's new to me to look at history with consideration for the Catholic perspective. We are using Mystery of History through our coop for History, and we're studying the Reformation. The Mystery of History is at least respectful of Catholics. I will need to find some other resources to explore the Catholic perspective--and as we started RCIA this week, I also asked that we discuss the Catholic perspective on Indulgences, etc there.

I'm pretty sure there are some big no-nos in MOH for Catholics... especially if studying the reformation from a protestant perspective. I could be wrong, but I know that MOH is on the banned book list for all of the Catholic swaps, and is believed to be "anti Catholic"?

I really like the Kolbe science lesson plans. They use secular textbooks, but teach from a Catholic perspective through the lesson plans. Kolbe has also written lesson plans for The Catholic Textbook Project, but those don't start until 5th grade. They cover Bible History in 3rd and then Famous Men of Rome and Famous Men of Greece in 4th, although I believe they have another option for American History as well.

We just switched from Seton fully enrolled to CHC. I strongly disagree that CHC is too 'light' academically IF you are using the entire lesson plan. In the younger years, especially, it is very gentle. Now that I understand the program as a whole and see where it leads children by fifth grade, it all makes sense. MODG is similar. It is not light at all, especially by the time you reach high school. I think both programs do a marvelous job at meeting kids where they are developmentally. And, yes, Behold and See and Catholic Textbook Project are great resources. CHC is coming out with lesson plans for individual subjects. They have done history and science thus far.

I really like the Kolbe science lesson plans. They use secular textbooks, but teach from a Catholic perspective through the lesson plans. Kolbe has also written lesson plans for The Catholic Textbook Project, but those don't start until 5th grade. They cover Bible History in 3rd and then Famous Men of Rome and Famous Men of Greece in 4th, although I believe they have another option for American History as well.

Are the Kolbe plans finally out for the CTP books?

I'm pretty sure there are some big no-nos in MOH for Catholics... especially if studying the reformation from a protestant perspective. I could be wrong, but I know that MOH is on the banned book list for all of the Catholic swaps, and is believed to be "anti Catholic"?

This is a Protestant coop and we are just beginning RCIA. So I'm not officially Catholic, and I'm struggling with some of the issues. I've thought about letting our Priest read some of it. Hope to during RCIA. And my dd's teacher at coop said that there is no Purgatory. I live in the south, and Catholics are few and far between, and many people (including myself, until recently) are ignorant about Catholic beliefs. Are there "banned" books? What does that mean exactly? Many of the people with whom I associate--not Catholics, because the only Catholic hs I know is an unschooler--like Apologia for science.

Science: Nancy Larson Science (elementary)

History: History at Our House (recordings or live classes), Catholic Textbook Project

Science: Kolbe (high school, online)

Could you elaborate on History at Our House? I'm not getting a feel for the meat of it from the website. I'd love to know how it works for a real family.

Science: Nancy Larson Science (elementary)

History: History at Our House (recordings or live classes), Catholic Textbook Project

Science: Kolbe (high school, online)

Could you elaborate on History at Our House? I'm not getting a feel for the meat of it from the website. I'd love to know how it works for a real family.

I am surprised to hear MOH 2 is useable by a catholic. I am using MOH 1 and it is ok, but assumed I would have to find something else next year.

I use Winter Promise for history and I like a lot of their science too (human body this year).

Also curious about WP. I've looked at it extensively but haven't taken the plunge. What programs have you used? It's very difficult to find people who actually use and love WP. They're probably too busy doing all of the projects, which is what I'm scared of!

This is a Protestant coop and we are just beginning RCIA. So I'm not officially Catholic, and I'm struggling with some of the issues. I've thought about letting our Priest read some of it. Hope to during RCIA. And my dd's teacher at coop said that there is no Purgatory. I live in the south, and Catholics are few and far between, and many people (including myself, until recently) are ignorant about Catholic beliefs. Are there "banned" books? What does that mean exactly? Many of the people with whom I associate--not Catholics, because the only Catholic hs I know is an unschooler--like Apologia for science.

I'm pretty sure MOH would have to be heavily tweaked for the middle ages on up for Catholics. There aren't any 'banned books.' I think what Aimee was referring to is on certain Catholic book-swap sites, there are items/books they ask you not to deal in. (Can you imagine offering a "How to" book on satanic rituals for swap on any Christian site? Not saying MOH is like that, but giving an extreme example so you can understand where they are coming from.) 

We're not fans of Apologia, but as I said before, we haven't found any science that we've used more than one year (except Elemental Science - but one year was just lapbooks).

The banned books mentioned are for catholic hs groups, such as cathswap. They may be banned because they teach falsehoods, such as saying that catholics worship saints (praying is not the same as worshipping) or that the pope is without sin (only infallible on matter of dogma). Others have errors of omission. It might say something like, " the Church convicted so-and-so of such-and-such and so-and-so was executed two months later," leaving out that the person was executed by a monarch for political reasons. But this leaves the reader to draw the conclusion that the church executed so-and-so when it wasn't the case. Others are banned because the company, bju for example, is vehemently anti-catholic and actively seeks to sow hatred and discord.

Most of the catholic hs programs use apologia for ease of use. I'm not sure if the lesson plans address the inaccuracies, but I personally feel that teaching kids that a Christian must believe in a young earth is a great disservice to Catholics. We have no religious reason to teach that and kids that think Christian= ye may throw the baby out with the bathwater when they really look at the available data.

Ha ha - I guess I'm the odd Catholic out. We ADORE Seton's History here. We don't find it dry in the least. It reads like an adventure story in the 4th - 6th grade especially! 

We also LOVE LOVE LOVE SEton's 4th Grade Science and can't wait to see what their new Science for Young Catholics for 7th grade is like! 

The banned books mentioned are for catholic hs groups, such as cathswap. They may be banned because they teach falsehoods, such as saying that catholics worship saints (praying is not the same as worshipping) or that the pope is without sin (only infallible on matter of dogma). Others have errors of omission. It might say something like, " the Church convicted so-and-so of such-and-such and so-and-so was executed two months later," leaving out that the person was executed by a monarch for political reasons. But this leaves the reader to draw the conclusion that the church executed so-and-so when it wasn't the case. Others are banned because the company, bju for example, is vehemently anti-catholic and actively seeks to sow hatred and discord.

Most of the catholic hs programs use apologia for ease of use. I'm not sure if the lesson plans address the inaccuracies, but I personally feel that teaching kids that a Christian must believe in a young earth is a great disservice to Catholics. We have no religious reason to teach that and kids that think Christian= ye may throw the baby out with the bathwater when they really look at the available data.

Regarding Apologia, we feel the same about teaching Christians *must* believe in a Young Earth. DH has banned the Apologia books from the house; his background is in science and he feels the books are inaccurate, and will not allow them to be used for the children so long as I have other alternatives.

Regarding Apologia, we feel the same about teaching Christians *must* believe in a Young Earth. DH has banned the Apologia books from the house; his background is in science and he feels the books are inaccurate, and will not allow them to be used for the children so long as I have other alternatives.

This is us as well. The Astronomy book killed it for our family. We will have to decide in High school what to do as Seton uses Apologia for their high school courses, and I don't like their alternatives. 

We are using sea to shining sea for history, and apologia physical science this year. I have to say that Sea to Shining Sea is amazing. It reads so beautifully, the illustrations are bright, and DS really enjoys reading it. I do have a concern over the young earth issue, but is not as prevalent as I thought it would be; perhaps it becomes different in high school? I did discuss this with my DS, but right now Apologia looks like the best option for science. Does anyone have ideas for Catholic biology?

HAOH is a secular program that utilizes either live or prerecorded classes with Mr. Scott Powell. He provides detailed outlines and discusses key historical points with the students who are taking the classes live. There is a big price difference between participating live and listening/watching the recordings. There is a history of art component, at least at the lower levels. My kids enjoyed Mr. Powell's classes and I liked listening in when possible. He leans libertarian, which was refreshing after dealing with politically-correct textbooks in the past.

Oh. I also wanted to mention Homeschool Connections for middle and high school aged children - live, online, and I hear great things about them. Catholic through and through - all of the classes; sign language, history, spanish, latin, language arts, science, etc.

The books are only "banned" by Cathswap, which is a yahoo group for Catholic homeschoolers to sell their used curriculum. The groups owners have a list of curriculum they ask members not to sell within the group. It is a list of curriculum that contains anti-catholic material or is produced by what they consider an anti-catholic company, and this policy was created because the group owners personally don't want to promote anything contrary to the faith.

Kolbe has great service, I like the looks of their high school history.

We use CHC for science, I would say it is thorough. They use the Catholic Textbook Project books for history in grades 5 and up.

I also love the book selections for Connecting With History, and it is a four year cycle which appeals to many people.

MODG and CHC are often labeled as "light," but their approach is to focus on the 3 R's in the early years, it becomes quite rigorous in 4th grade and up. We are using the history plans from the MODG syllabus, it is easy to use the plans for a single subject or two. In the upper elementary years the plans are completely divided by subject. MODG uses secular science books, but it is solidly Catholic. I have purchased used lesson plans for both CHC and MODG on Cathswap.

I would highly reccomend any of these programs.

We are catholic and using Apologia science.  I really REALLY did not want to use this program but it is the only science program DS likes.  So I bought each book, and am in the process of editing. Basically I read through the main text with a pen and ruler and remove anything anti-Catholic/YE.  I change and tweak certain sentences too.  I had a lot of fun in the flying creatures book with the section on dinosaurs and also the astronomy book.  Being catholic, I don't mind the God made this... and God made that... but I am careful to remove anything contradictory to our faith that I don't want to read aloud by accident (and there are lots of little anti-catholic seeds sewn into the texts).  

We loved SOTW 1-3 and to a certain extent 4 too. Now we're with the Dorothy Mills series of books (6th grade) covering ancient Egypt, Greece, and Rome.

For science it's been BFSU the whole time, supplementing with living books, Now we're finishing BFSU 2 before we move to BFSU 3 in a few weeks. We're also reading from Catholic Heritage Curricula's Behold and See science books 5 and 6.

I am very pleased with all our science and history programs.

Just a quick question: where do you go to find out if material is contrary to Catholic teaching? For example, the discussion on Apologia. Where can I find information on the Church's stand on evolution? Is it all in the Catechism? I guess that would give me a reason to finally crack it open...

Encyclicals have addressed evolution.

http://www.newadvent.org/library/docs_jp02tc.htm is John Paul ii's Address to Scientists.

A simple summation is that there is no contradiction between faith and evolution.

Okay, this sounds like an odd question, but after watching the discussion of Apologia: Does anyone find that using a Catholic/Christian science program is better than a secular one?  I am using the Discovery Education techbook as my spine, which has been working well for me.  I haven't been working in a religious aspect into my science lessons; I am not intentionally keeping them separate, it just hasn't come up.  Is it because my kids are younger?  As they get older, do you recommend sticking to a more religious program?

Okay, this sounds like an odd question, but after watching the discussion of Apologia: Does anyone find that using a Catholic/Christian science program is better than a secular one? I am using the Discovery Education techbook as my spine, which has been working well for me. I haven't been working in a religious aspect into my science lessons; I am not intentionally keeping them separate, it just hasn't come up. Is it because my kids are younger? As they get older, do you recommend sticking to a more religious program?

There are no "Christian" programs for science. The only religious science program for the youngers is the behold and see series, unless there are others that I am simply unaware of. The "christian" programs that claim to be science books don't teach science. They are religion books that teach fundamentalism. I Am not interested in teaching that to my children. So, the short answer is I'd take a secular science book over a fundamentalist religion book any day of the week.

Doesn't it bother you to spend your money with these people?  Your son should learn to like something else.  Not only are these books anti catholic they are tripe and bad science.

I do not get catering to what the child thinks he likes when it is clear what he likes is abysmal.

It used to bother me, but I don't really think too much about it now because DS really enjoys the books.  Even though I don't agree with some of their (protestant) beliefs, I respect that they are different to mine.

I don't agree that these books are tripe and bad science. I suppose if they were, there would not be so many homeschool families using them (regardless of the apologetics).

Some may not agree, but I like to find curriculum that my son actually enjoys because then he learns.

It used to bother me, but I don't really think too much about it now because DS really enjoys the books. Even though I don't agree with some of their (protestant) beliefs, I respect that they are different to mine.

I don't agree that these books are tripe and bad science. I suppose if they were, there would not be so many homeschool families using them (regardless of the apologetics).

Some may not agree, but I like to find curriculum that my son actually enjoys because then he learns.

The "science" in those books is just as bad as the argument that something must be true/valid because it is popular with a group of people who are self selected to include a high percentage of people that are hostile toward science.

We are catholic and using Apologia science. I really REALLY did not want to use this program but it is the only science program DS likes. So I bought each book, and am in the process of editing. Basically I read through the main text with a pen and ruler and remove anything anti-Catholic/YE. I change and tweak certain sentences too. I had a lot of fun in the flying creatures book with the section on dinosaurs and also the astronomy book. Being catholic, I don't mind the God made this... and God made that... but I am careful to remove anything contradictory to our faith that I don't want to read aloud by accident (and there are lots of little anti-catholic seeds sewn into the texts).

I am curious, as a Protestant in the process of converting: what's anti-Catholic? I do not have any of the texts so I can't read it for myself. I understand the issues with YE. Feel free if you want to PM.

I haven't read all the responses but I am really bothered by people saying Catholics can not believe in a Young Earth. I was under the impression that there was no dogma on this. Here is an article (and I found many more) explaining basically that  "Catholics are free to believe in Creationism, they are also free to believe in an old earth. Some faithful Catholics believe that God created the universe and all that is in it exactly word for word as it is laid out in Genesis 1 - a young earth. Other good Catholics believe in an old earth. The Church has no defined Dogma regarding the specifics of how the earth and the human body were created. Nor does it think that we have to nail that down to be saved."

It also states, "It is highly unlikely that the Vatican will ever make a dogmatic pronouncement on this issue, just as it has never made a pronouncement on the shape of the earth." 

We use Apologia because my daughter is 7 and we like how deep it gets into the information about each subject. It doesn't dumb things down and keep information to a minimum. For example, in botany, it explains everything about stamens and pistils and gets to the nitty gritty details, the sort of details some children crave and need. When we read the Young Earth stuff in there, I explain that it is one way of thinking about creation and I also tell her about the Old Earth theory. 

I don't usually get into debates like this. I keep my opinions to myself because I don't like to stir things up. Please be kind in your responses. But I have looked into whether Catholics should believe in young earth or old earth many times because
1. we have lots of young earth Protestant friends,
2. I didn't want to use a textbook that was against our faith.
3. I didn't want to start believing something that was against our faith.
But my understanding of it is that it isn't against our faith at all. We are free to believe either young or old earth. And I think this is why Catholic companies feel okay using Apologia. 

Young earth or old earth, in the end, it is still God who created it all. Isn't that the most important thing?

I haven't read all the responses but I am really bothered by people saying Catholics can not believe in a Young Earth. I was under the impression that there was no dogma on this. Here is an article (and I found many more) explaining basically that  "Catholics are free to believe in Creationism, they are also free to believe in an old earth. Some faithful Catholics believe that God created the universe and all that is in it exactly word for word as it is laid out in Genesis 1 - a young earth. Other good Catholics believe in an old earth. The Church has no defined Dogma regarding the specifics of how the earth and the human body were created. Nor does it think that we have to nail that down to be saved."

This is how I understand it as well.