Menu

Feedback on Wilson Hill online courses?

• 3 weeks later...

I can't really compare WH to other online schools since this is our first time ever taking any online classes.  But, we love it!  Dd13 is taking Latin 1 from Mrs. Hensley using Latin Alive.  It's intense (for us - not really gotten very far in any other Latin course before) but Mrs Hensley is super nice and very good about explaining things until the kids really get it. KWIM.   Every time I have emailed the school for help or with questions I have gotten back a personal response very quickly (even if the response was that they didn't know, but would be getting me the answer shortly).  There have been several Meet and Greet/ Open Houses that have been pretty informative.  Everyone seems to really care about what they are doing and how it will impact the kids.  For what it's worth they use Canvas for the classes.

Hope that helps

Angela

• 4 weeks later...

So far so good. I hesitated to post earlier as we had just begun and it was too early to give a reasonable assessment.  ds13 really likes his Geometry class and is doing well in it.  He likes the way the teacher, Leslie Smith, explains the math concepts.  We all appreciate that she provides much needed input to the grading of proofs which is one of the main reasons I wanted to outsource Geometry.  Another strong plus for WHA is the use of highly esteemed classic math texts.  In the case of Geometry Jurgensen is used which is excellent!  It starts with proofs really early on and masterfully weaves them throughout the book.   

I had originally thought about going the Derek Owens route.  But the reviews of his Geometry course seemed to be mixed with some having significant problems with it.  Consequently I explored other options.  Jann in Texas' Geometry didn't seem as proof intensive and she doesn't grade them either.  But maybe grading proofs would easier in that case with less of an emphasis on them.  I was torn because I'm wasn't thrilled with the Holt Geometry text and the idea of proofs not being as central to the course.  Jurgensen seemed like a much more solid text and presentation of the Geometric concepts overall.  Now that we're well into the first half of the course I am very glad with this choice.

For algebra 2 next year I've heard great things about the WHA teacher, Anne Stublen, and her course.  So we most likely will continue.  They use Dolciani for their Algebra I & II.  Though I wouldn't be opposed to considering Derek Owens as I've heard very good reviews of his other courses.  It's just that with WHA we now have found a good groove and unless that changes I'm leaning toward following their program. 

Derek - How's the tablet stylus usage thing you've mentioned in other threads? I would have considered WHA, but having to have some sort of tablet AND stylus is a deal-stopper for me. We don't have anything but a desktop computer. (I'm tentatively planning on going with Jurgensen's Geometry next year using TIP's materials & just grade the proofs myself.)

Derek - How's the tablet stylus usage thing you've mentioned in other threads? I would have considered WHA, but having to have some sort of tablet AND stylus is a deal-stopper for me. We don't have anything but a desktop computer. (I'm tentatively planning on going with Jurgensen's Geometry next year using TIP's materials & just grade the proofs myself.)

Hi RootAnn,

The tablet they refer to turned out to not be a real 'tablet' as in iPad or Android.  Instead it is simply an electronic pen and a touch sensitive pad for writing on during class.  So it became much less of an issue for us.  We found one for under $100 which can be reused for other classes.  Also if someone already has a real tablet they may be able to pick up a stylus pen which works with it.  So while it is a bit extra up front it wasn't as bad as I had originally thought.  

Here is what the teacher stated regarding the stylus:

"A tablet with pen (stylus) in needed. I will be using http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Intuos-Touch-Small-Tablet/dp/B00EN27U9U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404844132&sr=8-1&keywords=wacom+intuos

This tablet is also used in our upper classes. If you have a different tablet, it just has to be compatible with Adobe Connect so you will need to contact their customer service to be sure."

Of course there is nothing wrong with going through the book on your own as long as you don't mind grading the proofs.  If you do I would recommend picking up the solutions manual as well - ISBN 9780395677667.  

I have two kids taking the math classes with Wilson Hill; one is taking Geometry with Leslie Smith, the other is taking Algebra II with Anne Stublen.

The Geometry class is okay.  Dd13 is not particularly enthralled with the classes, however, it's keeping her on track and going over things when she doesn't get them.  She is doing well in the class grade-wise.  She says she would have rather continued with AoPS - but that wasn't always sticking long-term, so I thought she needed something with more review.  She's doing both Khan Academy and Alcumus for review of Alg1 topics; I am thinking of signing her up for AoPS Alg2 class online in the spring (which is the 2nd half of their Intro Alg book, which she's already gotten through most of once with me), which would be in addition to the WH Geometry class.  Dd is a weird mix - on the one hand she's advanced and prefers tougher problems and gets bored and disengaged with 'regular level' math, but on the other hand she needs more review than the super-gifted types that the 'tough problem' books tend to be written for.  And while she likes tougher problems, if they're 'too' tough she tends to want to give up. :banghead:  So I'm trying to figure out a way to mix it up.  Anyway, I'm not sure if she's the best person to ask for opinions from, as she's a tough nut to please...

My Dd16 is taking the Alg2 class.  She's more of an average to sometimes struggling math student (hence Alg2 in 11th grade).  She loves Anne Stublen.  I feel like we've hit gold!  Dd finds her a very engaging teacher and is understanding the math (which is huge) and doing well in the class.  I even think dd has fun in math class. This dd is not one who could just teach herself from a book.  She needs a really good teacher, and I feel like we've found her!  I cannot tell you how thrilled I am. She also gives great feedback on the exams; she even leaves video clips that both go over problem spots and give encouraging feedback. The class has also had lots of active discussions about homework problems on the forum; the kids interact with and help each other, and the teacher also gives plenty of help and clarification. Anne Stublen also teaches WH PreCalc, and there's pretty much a 100% chance I'll have dd continue with her next year.

As an aside, my other dd16, who is in ps, is taking Honors PreCalc this year using the same text WH uses.  This is at a very high-rated school.  The ps class will only get through 9 of the 20 chapters in the book. :confused1:   I'm betting the WH class will get through most of them, so it's not like the WH class is 'easy' and that's why dd's doing well.  I think Anne Stublen is a wonderful teacher.  :wub:

Oh, and the pen/tablet.  We bought it, it was about $79 on Amazon, but I think it's been almost never used, in either class.  The big extra cost was the solutions guides - the texts themselves were cheap, but the solutions guides were $$!

I have two kids taking the math classes with Wilson Hill; one is taking Geometry with Leslie Smith, the other is taking Algebra II with Anne Stublen.

The Geometry class is okay.  Dd13 is not particularly enthralled with the classes, however, it's keeping her on track and going over things when she doesn't get them.  She is doing well in the class grade-wise.  She says she would have rather continued with AoPS - but that wasn't always sticking long-term, so I thought she needed something with more review.  She's doing both Khan Academy and Alcumus for review of Alg1 topics; I am thinking of signing her up for AoPS Alg2 class online in the spring (which is the 2nd half of their Intro Alg book, which she's already gotten through most of once with me), which would be in addition to the WH Geometry class.  Dd is a weird mix - on the one hand she's advanced and prefers tougher problems and gets bored and disengaged with 'regular level' math, but on the other hand she needs more review than the super-gifted types that the 'tough problem' books tend to be written for.  And while she likes tougher problems, if they're 'too' tough she tends to want to give up. :banghead:  So I'm trying to figure out a way to mix it up.  Anyway, I'm not sure if she's the best person to ask for opinions from, as she's a tough nut to please...

My Dd16 is taking the Alg2 class.  She's more of an average to sometimes struggling math student (hence Alg2 in 11th grade).  She loves Anne Stublen.  I feel like we've hit gold!  Dd finds her a very engaging teacher and is understanding the math (which is huge) and doing well in the class.  I even think dd has fun in math class. This dd is not one who could just teach herself from a book.  She needs a really good teacher, and I feel like we've found her!  I cannot tell you how thrilled I am. She also gives great feedback on the exams; she even leaves video clips that both go over problem spots and give encouraging feedback. The class has also had lots of active discussions about homework problems on the forum; the kids interact with and help each other, and the teacher also gives plenty of help and clarification. Anne Stublen also teaches WH PreCalc, and there's pretty much a 100% chance I'll have dd continue with her next year.

As an aside, my other dd16, who is in ps, is taking Honors PreCalc this year using the same text WH uses.  This is at a very high-rated school.  The ps class will only get through 9 of the 20 chapters in the book. :confused1:   I'm betting the WH class will get through most of them, so it's not like the WH class is 'easy' and that's why dd's doing well.  I think Anne Stublen is a wonderful teacher.  :wub:

Matryoshka,

Great input.  It sounds like our 13 y/o's have a bit different preferences while still having many similarities.  

When I asked ds13 if he likes WHA or AoPS more he said he likes them both for different reasons.  He finds that the instructor explains things well including 'tricky topics like indirect reasoning,' live help during class time and he really likes the text.  But he also likes how AoPS looks at problems in so many different ways and includes direct instruction.  Unfortunately he did not feel he was retaining things as much with the lack of review in AoPS.  So we supplemented using TabletClass over the Summer.  He is also not the fastest worker, though very focused and hard working.  So WHA is helping him to work on his time management skills with all of the regular homework assignments, quizzes and tests.  So far he *really* enjoys geometry.  So much so he has actually been deriving his own formulas for fun in his spare time.  :p

If he ends up liking the Algebra 2 instructor and course half as much as your dd16 I think it would be another good move for us next year.  We may review with AoPS or TabletClass Algebra over the Summer. 

• 1 month later...

I have e-mailed them several times with some questions and never once received a response to any of my e-mails.  This makes me rethink the idea of taking a class with them.  Does anyone else have had that problem?

Not normally.  But it could it be that it was due to an end of the year, off for holidays kind of issue?  I usually get great responses from the instructor and the administration.  You could try Nancy Donaldson (ndonaldson@wilsonhillacademy.com) or one of the other administrators.

Derek 

I didn't get any response when contacting them from the website but I attended an online open house. Bruce Etter gave out his e-mail address and through that I've had extended conversations about placement for my child, course workload, and curriculum for a couple of their classes with the specific teachers. I was impressed by the level of communication but there must be a problem with the website contact info since I initially had the same problem.

Thanks for chiming in.  Yes, I tried through the website.

That sounds like the problem.  Your best bet is to use an actual person's email vs. a generic request through the website.  I think they are still working out some of the glitches with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

Though I don't have any experience yet with Wilson Hill Math, My 7th grade son is taking the Western Civilization course with Mrs. Etter and the Fundamentals of Expository Writing with Mrs. Lange.  We have been very, very pleased with both classes--shown in the growth in my son this year and his enjoyment of the classes.

• 4 weeks later...

This sounds so much like my daughter! Do you have any further updates on the Geometry class?