Menu

How are online classes going?

Just wondering how online classes are going for people now that they should all be up and going. 

My kids have a total of 5 online classes from 4 different providers.  There are all using different software to manage the classes.  So, there has been a learning curve for us to get used to all of that.  That is a lot of usernames and passwords to keep straight and a lot of places to log in and check up on what is going on.  I think we are getting into a routine now.

For us the biggest thing has been learning to be more attentive to detail.  Lots of little things to make sure get done and it is easy to miss something if you aren't reading carefully, checking messages, etc.  I think it has been good for my guys to have to do this but they have each missed small assignments or neglected to respond to something they should.  I think this will improve as the year goes on.

I am happy with the quality of our classes and instructors.  My kids tend to try to get by doing the minimum required and they also tend to write eloquently while saying absolutely nothing :)  All of their instructors seem to be holding them accountable and requiring them to do more.  I am very pleased with that. 

Our classes are AP Lang and APES with PA Homeschoolers, Blue Tent English 1, Kolbe Algebra 1, (and my 6th grader has a middle school class with AIM Academy)

Last year was our first year trying on line classes.  After a learning curve it went well. 

This year DD and DS have added several classes.  Two of their classes are with the same provider (MP) and just the next level up in Latin and Comp.  That is going well after the first week.  DD is also doing Italian with Landry.  It's a new system and new way of doing things so it took an extra few weeks to get in the swing of it, mostly because she's in 9th grade and learning how to prioritize and manage time.  She does love it though. 

things are going well here.  i am pleasantly surprised at how our freshman is taking to it all.  

dd#3's AP Lang teacher gives them a weekly check list which we are finding helpful.  i am thinking of asking the kids to make one of their own for each class. 

fwiw,

ann

I chose just Kolbe this year to avoid the mess of having many providers! Now all is centralized and we're keeping our sanity!

DD (grade 9) has 6 classes with Kolbe - she's fully registered with their online academy. 

Biology, Geometry, Early Western Civilization, Early Western Literature, Theology, English Composition

DS (grade 12) has a mix of Kolbe and Lukeion

AP Biology, AP Calculus, Theology and History with Kolbe, and AP Latin with Lukeion (might as well finish where he started)

DD loves her Biology and her Geometry teachers. The others are good too but I don't hear DD literally laugh out loud, or exclaim various things during her online class like she does with Biology and Geometry.

DS enjoys Latin, Bio and History. The other two, not so much. I suspect it has more to do with his general attitude towards school than it has to do with the teachers.

My DS is doing four online classes (3 have started, one starts next week). They ALL use different software.

Python I with Landry--This is a good class. Very challenging for my 10 year old so perhaps ill advised on my part. Maybe it is truly a high school level class. We are trudging through but I may have him repeat it with less help from us.

Online g3 Lightning Lit--I sort of regret this one (the class is fine, it's just nothing I could not do at home)--but it is DS's favorite.

French 2 with AIM academy.-- I really like this class. One cannot learn a language on once a week though so we supplement.

My girls are doing great so far this year. Oldest is only in one asynchronous class and it is amazing! There was a *big* learning curve for her in the beginning, which was a little painful to watch from a distance and she missed some points on some assignments because she didn't realize she was skipping a step - but now she has it mostly managed and loves the class (AP English thru blue tent ). It's a real stretch for her, but she's doing great even though drowning a bit with the reading load (not a speedy reader).

She's also taking some online recorded classes, but there's no teacher or classmate interaction, so those are easy to manage and not as much fun. :)

Dd#2 is taking two classes. The first is a live Algebra class - she likes the teacher and, for the first time EVER she really seems to be understanding what she is doing with math. (David Vogel, I think it's called Living the Answer classes...)

And she's also taking a live IEW class, but she's missed the turn-in deadlines for both assignments (my fault more than hers) but she's taking a similar IEW class locally this year so she'll just turn them in there. :p

Ds really likes AP English with PA Homeschoolers. It is challenging him, but in good ways. Stats doesn't have enough interaction built in. The teaching and resources are good though. We're going to start going through problem sets together.

Dd is finding Blue Tent Honors English 2 very fast paced. She has been sick 2 of the first 4 weeks of school though and I think that has really clouded her view. So far, she is not really a fan, but it's just the workload.

Dd is also in Blue Tent Honors English 2 (she took Honors English 1 w Christine Proctor last year). The class workload is a little bit heavier than English 1, which is to be expected. Dd hasn't complained about it as much as last year, though she dislikes the second reading selection, The Last of the Mohicans. Dd hadn't scheduled enough of the assignments for Mondays and Tuesdays of the past weeks, leaving Fridays to be very heavy. I think she's fixed that for this week, based on our weekly planning discussion after breakfast today :)

Dd's second online class is Arabic 1 through The Potter's School. This was a huge gamble for us because we are definitely secular homeschoolers. The class has some Christian content, which dd says so far consists of a very short verse in Arabic and an opening prayer. She thinks she'll be ok with it. She loves the class! She is so motivated to study and do the assignments! Dd is also registered in the once-a-week optional discussion class for additional speaking. Adding that section was a great decision because she gets more lecture and lots of speaking practice both with the teacher and then with other students. They are using Alif Baa which is the textbook used in the first Arabic class in the sequence at the university---it will make an easy transition from high school to dual enrollment content :)

So all good here, so far :party:

Dd's second online class is Arabic 1 through The Potter's School. This was a huge gamble for us because we are definitely secular homeschoolers. The class has some Christian content, which dd says so far consists of a very short verse in Arabic and an opening prayer. She thinks she'll be ok with it. She loves the class! She is so motivated to study and do the assignments! Dd is also registered in the once-a-week optional discussion class for additional speaking. Adding that section was a great decision because she gets more lecture and lots of speaking practice both with the teacher and then with other students. They are using Alif Baa which is the textbook used in the first Arabic class in the sequence at the university---it will make an easy transition from high school to dual enrollment content :)

This is good to know, thank you for sharing. I debated for months Arabic via Potter's school vs a secular class and decided to shell for CTY this semester. It's a bit of a sticker shock, so if we continue we may choose to do Potter's next.

All going smoothly here.

Through VPSA, one has Omni Primary and Secondary, and one has Latin 2 and Art Studio 1.

My older one is taking asynchronous Spanish I through the community college.  I wouldn't recommend this with a kid that wasn't self-motivated and already solid with another language.  He's doing fine with the workload, and it is a superbly-designed class. 

I chose just Kolbe this year to avoid the mess of having many providers! Now all is centralized and we're keeping our sanity!

DD (grade 9) has 6 classes with Kolbe - she's fully registered with their online academy. 

Biology, Geometry, Early Western Civilization, Early Western Literature, Theology, English Composition

DS (grade 12) has a mix of Kolbe and Lukeion

AP Biology, AP Calculus, Theology and History with Kolbe, and AP Latin with Lukeion (might as well finish where he started)

DD loves her Biology and her Geometry teachers. The others are good too but I don't hear DD literally laugh out loud, or exclaim various things during her online class like she does with Biology and Geometry.

DS enjoys Latin, Bio and History. The other two, not so much. I suspect it has more to do with his general attitude towards school than it has to do with the teachers.

How is that going with 6 classes through Kolbe?  I love the curriculum.  I used it independently with my older son and would consider several classes for my current high schooler and the one coming up.  However, it seems like a lot with the format.  How is it juggling all those live classes?  How is the workload? 

My #2 is taking Latin 2 and Greek/Roman Literature with Lukeion as well as AP Human Geography with PA Homeschoolers.  He is also doing Physics and Geometry with Derek Owens.  Geometry is going great but like his mother he is physicsally challenged.  He he has no problem with the math, it is the concept of force and motion that like his mother he cannot comprehend.

Trinqueta's doing three classes at Landry Academy: Latin 1, Spanish 2 and English IV (using MCT Magic Lens 1, Word Within the Word, Academic Writing 1, Poetry and Humanity and the Lightning Literature 8th grade books). All three have very clear expectations and an excellent computer platform. The teachers are all competent and engaging. They're not necessarily the best teacher you've ever had, but they are good. All of the classes have gone smoothly and cover the material thoroughly. You will get through the year's work at a reasonable pace if you don't fall behind. All the classes have an opening prayer. There are Bible verses to memorize for Spanish and Latin. I'd prefer secular classes, but Landry is doable for us for everything except biology, history, logic and economics. They list their textbook choices, so you know what you're getting before you sign up.

T's also doing Expository Writing I with the WTM Academy. There were a few hiccups getting started which was to be expected. They've done a good job getting on track. T's teacher does a good job getting through the material and keeping students interested. The assignments are clear and she's made a point of emailing requirements since the platform isn't completely functional yet. They will cover WWS 1 this school year. So far, T hasn't freaked out, which is a very good for a writing class.

G3 Online's American History 1A has been a success. They have an excellent interface that checks off the tasks as you do them. This class is geared to middle school, so I wouldn't suggest it for high school. For its audience, it's very well done and T looks forward to it. In the same vein, she's taking Athena's Online Academy's Biology for Jr High/Lower HS. The teacher is organized and the posted readings and activities are well thought out. The class is engaging. Both Galahad (G3) and Selene (Athena) know how to keep kids interested in the topics. They're both excellent teachers. It's important to note, though, that although both G3 and Athena offer some high school classes, they don't grade. The parent needs to be involved and decide on assignments, develop tests if they want and assign the grade.

The only flop for us this semester is Elemental Science's Physical Science. The teacher works very hard, but the class tends to drag a bit. The lectures follow the textbook strictly. This is something you could do at home and probably make more engaging. OTOH, if you want a git 'er done PhySci course with online labs and grading, this is a good option at a very reasonable price. The teacher is very good at answering emails and keeps the students on track. I'd keep it in mind if it fits your goals and your student's personality.

Finally, we've been doing the Virtual Homeschool Group's at-your-own-pace Saxon Algebra course. It automatically checks the answer to each problem as you enter it. There is no debating, explaining, wheedling about whether it's right or why it's wrong. It's what we need right now, although Saxon is very straight forward and pretty easy if you're coming from Singapore. I hope we can go back to more interesting math eventually, but this gets the job done. The teacher is very clear in her explanations. I'm very impressed with the quality of the course considering that it's free. They obviously put a lot of work into developing the class and offering it for free is a great service to homeschoolers.

Based on our experience so far, we'll use Landry, WTM, Athena and G3 again next year. I'd recommend them if they fit your goals. For us, outside classes are the best choice but I like to pick and choose from providers. These providers do a good job at fulfilling their announced objectives. You have to decide if they fit your needs.

How is that going with 6 classes through Kolbe?  I love the curriculum.  I used it independently with my older son and would consider several classes for my current high schooler and the one coming up.  However, it seems like a lot with the format.  How is it juggling all those live classes?  How is the workload? 

It's not so bad. Yes, it's a heavy workload, but it's doable. However you can't take a break, every day there's something to read, or write, or calculate. DD who is not my fastest worker is handling the workload correctly. She's learning time management skills which will serve when in college, that's for sure. 

As for live classes, she has 3 courses on Monday / Wednesday and only one on Tuesday/Thursday.  (Some classes are twice a week, others are once a week). 

Thanks.

I am really going to look at this more for next year if the algebra class he has goes well. 

It's not so bad. Yes, it's a heavy workload, but it's doable. However you can't take a break, every day there's something to read, or write, or calculate. DD who is not my fastest worker is handling the workload correctly. She's learning time management skills which will serve when in college, that's for sure. 

As for live classes, she has 3 courses on Monday / Wednesday and only one on Tuesday/Thursday.  (Some classes are twice a week, others are once a week). 

DD is doing Physical Science with Kolbe, French 1 with TPS, and Alg. 1 with Derek Owens. Younger dd will be doing a Mythology exam prep class with Athena's Academy starting in October. The classes are going well except we discovered that dd's computer needs to be rebooted after the Kolbe class or the microphone and headset won't work for French. It was a distressing couple of days before we got it worked out. I wish we could figure out what settings get changed by AdobeConnect.

Glad she's handling it well! I'm glad we only started with one Kolbe class. Maybe next year we can increase it.  I'm not sure how I like Schoology but it is getting easier. At the beginning of the semester I was flooded with email from the system but that has slowed down.

Oldest ds is doing his second year of a full online high school.  We need something that is very flexible so he doesn't have set class times, just classes he works through at his own pace.  He got a little behind last year while he was getting used to a new system (and we had to start a couple of months late because of an international move), but it's going well now.  It's really helpful to not have to worry about class times since our schedule doesn't match up with a typical US one.

Second ds is in 9th grade and doing three WTM Academy classes (ancient literature, chemistry, and rhetoric). He likes them.  We went with the delayed option so he's not tied to certain class times, but he's less flexible than oldest ds which has been a bit of a challenge.  

I'll keep wishing there were a flexible, interactive online option no matter what time zone we're in.  I can't imagine how it would work though. :)

So happy to hear that, because I am a huge fan of Arabic! ;)

Out of curiosity, how long are they taking to cover Alif Baa?  My oldest (16) is using the same series, we skipped Alif Baa because he was already beyond that point when we started high school, he started with al-Kitab level 1.  He finished level 1 in 1.5 years, and now as a highschool junior will hopefully be finishing up level 2.  Ideally he would complete the program in his senior year by getting all the way through level 3, I'm not sure how practical that is.  Going in, I was hoping he would finish a level a year, but it hasn't worked out like that.  We're not able to do dual enrollment here, I was more thinking he might be able to test out of some levels, or test for credit, or something...

Let me know if your dd is interested in additional resources, I'd be happy to try and help out...

[snip]

I'll keep wishing there were a flexible, interactive online option no matter what time zone we're in.  I can't imagine how it would work though. :)

Same here, Amira. 

DS is taking Latin 1 through the Harvey Center for Learning.  It is a live class that works for our time zone :hurray: .  So far, I am very happy with both Magistra Beth and the text (Latin for the New Millennium). 

[quote name="Kate in Arabia" post="5940352" timestamp="

Let me know if your dd is interested in additional resources, I'd be happy to try and help out...

Not luckymom but would love to hear of any resources, aps, anything. There is a noticeable dearth of Arabic learning resources for kids, I find. I'm looking at you, mindsnacks and duolingo. We also study French and it's so evident when you compare.

So happy to hear that, because I am a huge fan of Arabic! ;)

Out of curiosity, how long are they taking to cover Alif Baa? My oldest (16) is using the same series, we skipped Alif Baa because he was already beyond that point when we started high school, he started with al-Kitab level 1. He finished level 1 in 1.5 years, and now as a highschool junior will hopefully be finishing up level 2. Ideally he would complete the program in his senior year by getting all the way through level 3, I'm not sure how practical that is. Going in, I was hoping he would finish a level a year, but it hasn't worked out like that. We're not able to do dual enrollment here, I was more thinking he might be able to test out of some levels, or test for credit, or something...

Thanks for the offer---I will take you up on it once she knows more words :)

TPS uses Alif Baa for the first year and al-Kitaab 1 for the second year. It looks like al-Kitaab 1 is also used for the third year. At the university here, Alif Baa and al-Kitaab 1 are used for the first two semesters.

Dd16 is taking AP Bio and AP Spanish with PAHsers as well as Alg2 with Wilson Hill.  Dd13 is taking Geometry with Wilson Hill.  They are also sharing a WriteGuide tutor.  Other Dd16 (twin) is in school but just started IMACS Logic/Math class online.

It's mostly going well.  Dd16 loves Bio, so she's really liking the AP Bio class, even though it's a lot of work.  Wish there were some way to get more live labs, but that's the nature of online science classes, I guess.  I think the AP Spanish class will prepare her well for the exam.  The teacher is good but doesn't have a native accent, which bugs her, but probably wouldn't bug most other Americans. But she agrees he's good at getting them all talking during the Skype sessions - I'm fluent myself (and have a better accent ;) ) but it's a skill to get students talking in a foreign language rather than filling the space yourself when things drag, so I appreciate that skill quite a bit.  Her Alg2 class is fantastic - probably the best online class we've used.  Its live twice a week, the teacher is engaging, the class is interactive both during the class and between (lots of on-topic discussions online), dd feels like things are well-explained. 

Dd13's Geometry class is okay, but I'm having a hard time not comparing it to the fantastic class!  It's much less interactive, both in class and out (no interaction outside of class at all).  The text is good.  The pace seems a bit slow.

WriteGuide we just started last week, so we're barely past introductions.  We've used them before and been very happy.  We have a new tutor, and I like the feedback he gave dd13 for her first submission, so I'm hopeful this will go well again. :)

DD16 (other one) is really liking the IMACS class.  They score it weird - you can get extra credit on each problem, so her current grade is something over 200%.  That can't be hurting the positive feelings!

Ds 14 is taking Great Conversations III and Algebra II with Wilson Hill, Pre-AP Biology with The Potter's School, and Latin III with Lukeion. I think it's going well so far.

Great Conversations III - Ds took Omnibus I and II with VPSA, so Great Conversations III (the Wilson Hill equivalent) has not been too surprising other than ds said it feels like less work than VPSA. This is the first time he's had Mr. Etter, and ds absolutely loves him. I hear ds literally LOL'ing often during the class. I enjoy hearing ds answering the questions Mr. Etter asks. Ds is not a history/lit person and I love that these classes spur him on to read and to think about what he's read.

Algebra II - This is the first 'real' online math class ds has had (previously did Derek Owen's geometry) and I think it's going well. He reports that he's a little bored because it is still review (and math is his absolute favorite subject!), but I'm anticipating that it will challenge him soon. I love that Mrs. Stublen is so well organized. I think she has done a fantastic job communicating expectations, assignments, scheduling, etc. Also love her video chat feedback for tests! 

Pre-AP Biology - Our first class with The Potter's School and also our first online science class. Seems to be going well. Hard to tell this early as they've only met twice so far (started 09/09). Ds didn't think he'd like biology, but he's enjoying it so far. It seems to be a challenging class (but not overwhelming). 

Latin III -  Ds took Latin I and II with VPSA, and this is our first class with Lukeion. Wow! What a challenging class! Ds is very much enjoying it, but had a little shock yesterday when he "bombed" (got a B, LOL!)  his first Latin quiz. This class probably takes the most amount of time compared to his other classes. 

DD 15 is taking LTOW  http://www.circeinstitute.org/online-academy/course-offerings with Renee Mathis, American Lit http://www.centerforlit.com/Courses/2013-2014.aspx  with Adam Andrews and Spanish I  http://www.funclase.com/High-School-Spanish-p/hs.htm  with SeĂƒÂ±or Dale Gamache. All are a great success!

I'm thinking about that Combo for next year (LToW and Center for Lit classes).  How are you liking them together?  Is the workload good?

Oldest two are taking English classes through Landry (English III, Advanced Comp, and Sci Fi Lit), The pace of English III seems a little slow but it may be just my perception since that DS shares almost nothing with how things are going.  Older DS used that teacher before so I know she is good.  Advanced Comp and Sci Fi are going fine,  There is less writing in Sci Fi than I expected but DS is happy since there is writing almost every week in Advanced Comp (and he hates writing), but he is thrilled to get all of his english out of the way first semester.

Eldest DS is also taking Spanish III with Sr. Gamache.  I've always been very pleased with his classes and middle DS will start with Spanish I next year.

Eldest is also taking the free AP Computer Science class through Amplify.  For an AP class it seems VERY light on work, but since it's free I figured I'd let him try it, if it doesn't seem like he is well prepared we just won't take the test.

AP Chemistry through PA Homeschoolers seems fine.  I'm surprised they have had any labs yet but DS said next week those start.  He says they start them later to make sure every one has their experiment kit.

The real treasure for us was finding a suitable math class for DS, He's extremely advanced in math but didn't want to take a class at college yet (He took AP Calculus BC as a freshman, and AP stats as a sophomore),  We found Multi- variable Calculus and Differential equations through mathandmusicstudio.com  After taking the AP Calc, DS said no more calculus, and now he is happily working on Calculus again.  Plus since the teacher, teaches through graduate level math classes, I'm estatic to know that I will not have to search for any more math classes for this DS ever again. That is worth it's weight in gold to me as it's always been a struggle to keep ahead of this child in math.

The real treasure for us was finding a suitable math class for DS, He's extremely advanced in math but didn't want to take a class at college yet (He took AP Calculus BC as a freshman, and AP stats as a sophomore),  We found Multi- variable Calculus and Differential equations through mathandmusicstudio.com  After taking the AP Calc, DS said no more calculus, and now he is happily working on Calculus again.  Plus since the teacher, teaches through graduate level math classes, I'm estatic to know that I will not have to search for any more math classes for this DS ever again. That is worth it's weight in gold to me as it's always been a struggle to keep ahead of this child in math.

Ds isn't extremely gifted, but will need an upper level class in 12th. I had never heard of this company. The "Pre-Calculus with Linear Algebra and Non-Euclidean Geometries" sounds interesting.  I would love an update on this company towards the end of the year! :-)

Ds isn't extremely gifted, but will need an upper level class in 12th. I had never heard of this company. The "Pre-Calculus with Linear Algebra and Non-Euclidean Geometries" sounds interesting.  I would love an update on this company towards the end of the year! :-)

It's more an individual than a company.  There's just one teacher, John Rasasco.  I had heard about him for years on the Davidson e-lists (DS is a member) and he's always had good reviews but until recently I wasn't able to afford the cost of outsourcing (now it's a priority for us because of DS's needs and we are almost "done" with him and want to finish it up right).  He did a free 1 hour session with DS to make sure DS was a good fit for his classes as well as determine which class would be a good fit for him.  He did say all ( or most, I can't remember exactly how he phrased it) of his students come from Davidson though so he's used to working with fast paced and advanced kids.  But you can send him an e-mail with questions, he called back and was very good about discussing any questions/concerns I had.

Derek Owens is another one I have heard recommended (But I don't know what level he teaches through) and then Courtney James (http://www.mathperfect.net)

i can try to remember to update in the spring but that's a crazy time for me so feel free to send me a message at the time if you think of it.

DD#1 is taking Second Form Latin through MP & Spanish I/La Clase Divertida w/Sr Gamache (linked by Dina in Oklahoma). I'm certainly glad we're trying online classes out this year vs. waiting as there is definitely a bit of a learning curve. I think dd likes Spanish better so far. She is figuring out that the workload isn't linear and that she does need to study for the vocab tests in addition to the work assigned through the textbook.

She isn't getting much out of the actual Latin class yet. I think she'd prefer to just watch the videos and do the workbook herself, but she hasn't stomped her feet and refused to do the online portion yet. We're only a few weeks into Latin, though, so we'll see.

I do feel "tied down" to a schedule and it makes our weeks less flexible as we don't have the technology to be able to just 'do school on the road' on the two days she has class. So, bummer for me.  :laugh:

Matryoshka ~ The pace is going well and allows us to add additional writing into the mix; which we desperately needed to do as we are playing catch up from last year!  I can provide you with an update later in the year if you'd like. Dina

I'm thinking about that Combo for next year (LToW and Center for Lit classes).  How are you liking them together?  Is the workload good?

My daughter is taking Intro to Rhetoric, Alg1, and Am. Lit with The Well Trained Mind Academy and Latin1 with Lukeion. 

She really likes her Alg1 teacher but she is also finishing a year of Tablet Class Algebra1 so this is all review and it is not challenging yet. But I hope that it will get more challenging for her as they move out of basic math review. I want her to be really solid on her Alg1 skills which is why we are doing 2 different curricula spanning 2 years. 

She hated writing with a passion before this Intro to Rhetoric class. But she adores the teacher and the personal feedback on her writing is detailed and very very helpful. I have a kid who is seeking old grammar and writing books to work on the areas of her writing that need improvement!!! That never would have happened with me. She is definitely more confident and improving vastly. Plus she has made a friend in the class who is also taking another class with her, they meet and study together online. 

The Lit class I am not as crazy about. The instructor does not seem to be as well prepared as the others and his class is mostly lectures without much commentary from the students. I wonder about the literary analysis that is going on from straight lectures. The communication on the part of the instructor is not as good as with the other classes. 

Lukeion is challenging, it is rigorous. We have already had Visual Latin and my daughter is learning so much more via Lukeion. This class will definitely help her English skills and it is just what I wanted. The classes are very competitive and Amy Barr is a great teacher, she is fun but no nonsense. I am very pleased and think it is money well spent. 

My older son is doing quite well. His online courses are PAH AP Eng. Lang. (Kathryn Walker), PAH AP Chem, Derek Owens precalculus, and my own online physics course that I am developing. He has taken complete ownership of his schedule which thrills me to no end. I am also very pleased with the organization and quality of instruction of all the courses. I think we are going to have a great year!

My own physics course is coming along quite nicely. We have had a few bumps with the website...I am using Coursesites because it is free, but it has quite a bit of down or ultra-slow time. If I do decide to "go public" with this class, I may have to shop around for a better course server. I'd love suggestions if anyone has one. I have 25 students which is probably too many for a trial year, but I'm managing to stay about a week ahead and keep up with the grading. Honestly, I just LOVE doing this, and I hope it works out that I am able to offer this course in the future. I think the need is there. :-)

Matryoshka ~ The pace is going well and allows us to add additional writing into the mix; which we desperately needed to do as we are playing catch up from last year!  I can provide you with an update later in the year if you'd like. Dina

So you're adding extra writing on top of the LToW?  That's actually good to hear - dd has a bee in her bonnet to try AP Human Geography next year, and I think that has a fairly large writing component.  I don't want to completely overwhelm her.  (And I keep having the urge to sign her up for the writing component of the Center for Lit classes as well, but I think that would be over the top along with LToW?  Unless maybe she doesn't take the AP class?)

What kind of extra writing assignments are you adding?  And I'd love an update later. :)

Dd is doing AP Euro and AP Chem through PAHS and now German through Goethe institute....

Euro is tons of work but dd finds it very interesting (for those thinking of it in the future - there are almost no holidays - 3 wks at Christmas and a bit of time at Easter).

The Chem teacher seems to be good so far...lots of kids in that class - like 70! But I think it's the only one he teaches.)

Goethe has just started so can't give much feedback yet except that the German tutor - once a week Skype sessions - is a native German speaker; it is spendy so I wanted to make sure dd would get her money's worth by being advanced when starting...(Upon reflection, perhaps this wasn't a good idea, but I'll know better over time).

My own physics course is coming along quite nicely. We have had a few bumps with the website...I am using Coursesites because it is free, but it has quite a bit of down or ultra-slow time. If I do decide to "go public" with this class, I may have to shop around for a better course server. I'd love suggestions if anyone has one. I have 25 students which is probably too many for a trial year, but I'm managing to stay about a week ahead and keep up with the grading. Honestly, I just LOVE doing this, and I hope it works out that I am able to offer this course in the future. I think the need is there. :-)

if non-profit then perhaps

http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.com/

otherwise you may have to locate an existing online group (that covers only Math courses for example) with you adding a Physics course

Is this AP or HS honors or regular Physics level?

if non-profit then perhaps

http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.com/

otherwise you may have to locate an existing online group (that covers only Math courses for example) with you adding a Physics course

Is this AP or HS honors or regular Physics level?

Thanks, Mark. Presently, I plan to offer only a regular-level physics course, but I hope to someday expand to offer a regular-level chemistry and then eventually advanced physics. I'm not sure that I will follow the AP guidelines when that time comes.

My course will not be "non-profit", but I do hope to make it as affordable as possible while still making it worthwhile for me. So I'd prefer not to have a middle-man. That is why the free price tag on Coursesites is so inviting. But as usual, you get what you pay for. My son's AP Eng. teacher is using Canvas this year, so I may look into it. Thanks!

Thanks, Mark. Presently, I plan to offer only a regular-level physics course, but I hope to someday expand to offer a regular-level chemistry and then eventually advanced physics. I'm not sure that I will follow the AP guidelines when that time comes.

My course will not be "non-profit", but I do hope to make it as affordable as possible while still making it worthwhile for me. So I'd prefer not to have a middle-man. That is why the free price tag on Coursesites is so inviting. But as usual, you get what you pay for. My son's AP Eng. teacher is using Canvas this year, so I may look into it. Thanks!

Good luck - there is always room for another affordable online offering with a dedicated instructor !

Looked at the Canvas website - looks "expensive"  to me - what do Derek Owens and others use?

Overall well, but not without challenges:

1)  Spanish 2 through Harari----I liked the instruction, and my daughter enjoyed comparing cultures (the teacher was in Barcelona), but communication with Harari over administrative questions is not easy for a student in the language-only individual tutor situation. They seem to work quite differently than group classes and communication was all based on group classes. Our tutor also had to stop classes two weeks early as she got a different job. She said my daughter had completed all the requirements and gave her a final before she stopped, so we have a grade. I suppose these are some of the risks one takes with a free class. We are considering doing Spanish 3 with them in the spring, as it seems the quickest way to cover that, as well as being practice with a native speaker.

2) online APEX classes with teacher support through local school system---I really like the rigor of the English 9 class, and the English teacher (who is also coordinating the program) is terrific to work with. Adjusting to a block schedule (completing an entire year-long class in a semester) has been challenging, but we're settling into it. The price is right (free). We'll be doing bio through them in the spring and either sociology or creative writing.

3) Virtual Homeschool Group---I continue to be very happy with this resource, especially as it's also free! This is my daughter's third year in the classics book club and she really enjoys it. It's our second year doing Saxon math at your own pace (last year algebra 1 and now algebra 2). This is more challenging because it is not my daughter's best subject and she is resistant to taking advantage of the office hours offered, but that's a maturity issue for her rather than an issue with the course or provider. Unfortuanately, we can't make the live class option for math work with our schedule. We will certainly strongly consider all future options through them that are workable with our schedule and worldview (we are secular and some of their classes are definitely not).