Menu

Suggestions for 5th Grade Language Curriculum

Hello all.  I'm brand new to homeschooling, with one child in 2nd Grade and the eldest in 5th.  I am getting our materials together for the year (slow start, long story :crying: ) and 'think' I have almost everything chosen....except....I'm stumped on the Language program choice for my 5th grader.  Some of this may be overwhelm on my part, so I'd really appreciate any guidance from those of you with more experience in this realm.

WTM - which I am using as my core guide for this starting year - recommends Rod & Staff 'Following the Plan' for 5th grade, however I'm finding it a bit difficult to track down a set...and have read mixed reviews despite the strong endorsement from WTM.  We are not closed to using a Christian resource, but are also open to a more secular program.  I like the notion of having everything in one place (grammar, composition) etc. as simpler is going to be better for us in these early days.

The other options WTM recommends include various combinations of Voyages in English, Shurley English, Writing Strands, and others (hence my slight overwhelm!).

We will also be using the Spelling Workouts....

As information, my child is an excellent reader and an enthusiastic writer.  She very much enjoys language and it shouldn't be a chore to have her take on whichever program we settle on.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be wildly appreciated!

For DD (who came home in 6th), we used Michael Clay Thompson language arts materials.  But that does assume that the child has solid preparation in phonics/spelling and usage, which may not be the case for publically-schooled students.  We loved MCT, but it is not clearly laid out and leaves a lot up to the parent as far as implementation goes, so you  may be uncomfortable with that.  I am using R+S English and spelling for DS (4th grade) now, and it is really good!  I'm surprised at how good.  Very explicit instruction in spelling, phonics, grammar, poetry, and writing.  I highly recommend it if your student is dicey with any of those things.

Thank you Reefgazer - very helpful.    :001_smile: The R&S materials may be a better starting point given my newbie status with different-aged children (the more guidance and structure I have the better at this point).  Both children have been privately schooled until now and have (I think) solid foundations, however they've been in a French-American school which had a fabulous French-language curriculum (following the French National Standards), but the English language curriculum was 'standard core', which I definitely found fell short.  Big plus being that they're already bilingual... 

Looking forward to next year, our LA plans will be:

Grammar: Rod and Staff English 5 or Hake Grammar 5

Writing: Writing & Rhetoric Narrative 2 & Chreia

I have found that I don't like any grammar/writing joint curriculum so I plan to o with just the grammar of Hake or Rod & Staff and keep going with Writing & Rhetoric which we love.

Michael Clay Thompson "town" level + Evan-Moor Daily Language Review for mechanics + Figuratively Speaking + spelling program of your choice. Run them on a "loop" schedule so that you don't get overloaded each day.

Once your child has finished "Grammar Town", I would add Don Killgallon's "Sentence Composing for Elementary School" into the loop.

My 6th grader used Rod and Staff's English, Wordsmith Apprentice (writing), and Rod and Staff spelling for 5th grade.

You can find Rod and Staff at the online distributor milestonebooks.com, or call them directly. They don't have their own website.

This is what we are doing with DS  - CAP Fable and R+S.  We do the writing with R+S also, though.

I have found that I don't like any grammar/writing joint curriculum so I plan to o with just the grammar of Hake or Rod & Staff and keep going with Writing & Rhetoric which we love.

Rod & Staff 'Following the Plan' for 5th grade, however I'm finding it a bit difficult to track down a set...

I always buy R&S materials from milestonebooks.com

This is what we are doing with DS  - CAP Fable and R+S.  We do the writing with R+S also, though.

Same here. We use R&S English 5 & CAP W&R Fable. We skip the writing assignments in R&S but I do have him read the lesson (questions pertaining to those lessons do pop up in the Review & Practice sections of future lessons). I also have him just do odd problems. He went through Abeka Language 5th last year (which he did fine on). I just love R&S so much, I thought going through at a quicker pace was better than skipping 5 (he's in 5th grade this year). If he hadn't done Abeka 5 last year, I'd probably have him work through R&S writing as well.

I also plan on using Killgallon soon. I haven't decided if I want use it with R&S 5 or after he's finished. 

Thank you all for so generously sharing your experience!  Very helpful and encouraging - although I'll need to find that abbreviation sticky to make sense of some of the recommendations.....I am so very new!

CrimsonWife....what is a "loop schedule"?

And with that, we're off to the races  :thumbup:

We're using Treasured Conversations with Daily Grams 5 with Phonetic Zoo (spelling). It's working well for us. The grammar review takes maybe 10 minutes at a workbook page a day. Once we finish TC, I plan to go back and finish the rest of Wordsmith Apprentice (we got partway through last year and DD just wasn't ready for the rest) and move on to CAP Writing & Rhetoric Narrative 2.

Another option is Galore Park's So You Really Want to Learn English, which covers everything except formal writing instruction. It does include prompts, and everything is in one book, with a teacher's guide.

Check out English Lessons through Literature too. My 5th grader is using level 4 and we love it! It is grammar, composition, and dictation (spelling), and includes a poem, short story, and literature schedule. Plus it is only 3 days/week. We are former R&S users and now much happier with our language arts program.

Thank you all for so generously sharing your experience! Very helpful and encouraging - although I'll need to find that abbreviation sticky to make sense of some of the recommendations.....I am so very new!

CrimsonWife....what is a "loop schedule"?

And with that, we're off to the races :thumbup:

Loop schedule means the book isn't assigned to a specific day of the week, it's rotated through. So MCT, Evan Moor, Kilgallon, repeat starting with MCT.

I use Rod and Staff. If there as a similar, secular grammar program, I'd use it, but right now R&S works for us.