Menu

Foerster's and Lial's: how are these different?

What are the differences between Foerster's and Lial's for Pre-Algebra, Alg. 1, Alg.2, etc.?  I notice Foerster's is by Prentice Hall and Lial's is by Pearson.  I'm interested in knowing if either has a very heavy emphasis on memorizing calculator formulas (esp. to the point of crowding out real understanding), if one is more user-friendly (in an open-and-go format for the parent/teacher), if one requires more parental math knowledge than the other, and any other differences you may know.
Thanks!

Foerster doesn't have pre-algebra. The algebra book is a bit older (at least my edition is). It's definitely aimed at middle or high school algebra 1. I think Lials is aimed at remedial community college students. I only saw Lials pre-algebra about two years ago and felt it was a bit busy and visually distracting, but lots of board members have used it successfully. Foersters looks heavy and dry compared with some more recent books, but it hasn't been a problem. There is a nice word problem focus.

They're both solid options. IMO Foersters is more challenging.

I haven't seen any alg course that focuses on memorization, and certainly not these two.

They're both open and go, self-teaching texts.

Lial has busier pages. You start by reading the lesson, and occasionally move out to the margins to work practice problems. After a few pages of that you reach a problem set. The general recommendation is to do odds or evens and all the word problems. A lesson takes about 2 days.

Foerster pages are more plain. Read through the lesson and do the problem set. Again, odds or evens and all the story problems. Or there's a schedule in the TM for assigning old problems for review.

Thanks, this is exactly the information I was looking for.  I wondered about emphasis on calculator formula memorization because my dd experienced this in a b&m high school Alg. 2 class.  She didn't know how to do the math without the calculator, so if she forgot any part of the calculator formula, she got problems wrong.  I'm looking for nearly the opposite of that.