Menu

Our standard poodle was attacked by a pit bull yesterday

Mama Geek

your delusion.  when a dog comes into a fenced backyard and attacks - that is without provocation and the dog had to work to get there.  when a dog comes running from down a side street to attack someone on the main street who isn't going anywhere near it (or even facing it) - that is without provocation.  (dh had that happen to him - the dog escaped and fortunately, he wasn't badly injured.)

I've talked to too many "former" "he's so sweet" pit owners who used to agree with you - but learned otherwise.  and too many pit owners are irresponsible and treat their 'baby' like it's the sweetest thing on earth with no regard to how potentially dangerous it can be.

I actually agree with this. Often a dog attacks simply because they are uncontrolled, over babied, undisciplined dogs.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The owner can't afford to pay the vet bills and the money is not a major hit to us. I'll talk to the vet on Monday and see what they say and in the mean time we will take care of our dog.

I would report the dog. If there is another incident, it needs to be known that the dog has attacked before, particularly if the owner is proud of the behavior.

Set aside the breed. This dog could have killed your poodle. I'd worry it would attack a child next.

I'm sorry to hear about your fur baby and glad he will be okay.  Agree with everyone else that it at least needs to be reported and you have a paper trail documenting what happened.  The person needs to take some responsibility, even if he can't pay for it.   I would place a claim against your friend's homeowner's insurance since it was on their property and their liability coverage will cover claims for injuries to persons or animals while on their property.

When my sister had a german shepherd who bit someone who came to the house, the dog was quarantined for a time at their house. Their insurance company required them  to go through training with the dog, and several other steps. Don't remember them all.  The dog had to be bite free for 3 years and both human and dog graduate from training by a certified instructor.

I'm a vet tech (certified, have a degree, and worked in the field for 20 years), also a certified dog trainer, although I've let that lapse lately. What you are describing is incredibly disturbing. A mentally stable 9 month old puppy doesn't attack an older, larger dog like that, causing that kind of damage. Very scary. 

And although I HUGELY disagree that pit bulls are a menace, they ARE more prone to have dog on dog agression, due to years of being bred for that specific behavior. (that has nothing to do with agression towards humans). I have no idea if that is what is going on here, if this dog is from fighting lines, or if the dog has been encouraged to fight before/trained to fight, or what. But unless there was some incredibly weird other issue going on (puppy in pain, got hurt,etc) I'd reccomend putting that puppy down. I've only advised that a few times in my life (and oddly, never with a pit bull before, once was an Akita and once was a Labrador), but this sounds very dangerous. Don't expose yourself or your pets to that dog again. That behavior is "not right". Just like some people have mental illness, dogs can have it too. Stay way. 

(but I still love pitties. Most vets and vet techs I know own at least one)

Agreed.  The kind of people that own pits - as well as pits themselves- are disturbing.   Normal puppies don't attack older dogs.  Everything about this post is disturbing.  Stay far away from anyone who thinks that keeping a dog that attacks other dogs is fine. 

I actually agree with this. Often a dog attacks simply because they are uncontrolled, over babied, undisciplined dogs.

No. They attack because either they have an instinctual desire to fight with other dogs/animals, or because they are afraid and are lashing out (most common) or to protect their property, etc etc. Not because they are spoiled. That's no where near the truth. 

No. They attack because either they have an instinctual desire to fight with other dogs/animals, or because they are afraid and are lashing out (most common) or to protect their property, etc etc. Not because they are spoiled. That's no where near the truth. 

Good training gives healthy outlets to the intensiveness that is the breed. Perhaps our definition of spoiled is different.

Some dogs are mentally unhealthy though and are so from the moment they are born.

My old doberman (who lived till he was 10) came from a litter where 4 of the 6 pups had to be put down due to aggresive behaviour. I could see it in them when they were little though and tried to warn their owners to watch out for it but to them, it was just cute puppy behaviour. The pups were allowed to get away with it and they became aggressive spoiled dogs.

and possibly someone's life.  pit owners/denfenders dont' want to hear it, but the vast majority of dog attacks that result in death are pit bulls/mixes/related breeds.

I would be curious to see a reputable statistic on that.

Mama Geek, I'm so sorry your fur baby was hurt. It does sound like the owner of that attacking dog should not have a pet, since he/she is not prepared to care for it properly or take responsibility for its actions.

I hope your dog recovers fully and quickly!

If you aren't going to insist he pay the vet bills, at the least please send him a certified letter laying out what happened, informing him that you are concerned about the dog's aggression, and letting him know that you will keep the letter on file so that if anything like this occurs again, there will be proof that he had already had reason to know the dog was aggressive.

He faces serious liability with a dog like this.

I am very sorry your dog was attacked. The other dog sounds like a menace and should not be around other dogs. The owner should certainly be paying your vet bills.

As someone who has always owned so called "bully breeds" I can not stress enough how wrong breed prejudice is. Calling all of any breed a menace is the animal equivalent of all all Blacks are criminals, all Latinos are illegal immigrants, all Jews will rip you off, all Roma are thieves.

It is the dog owners responsibility to train their dog. If they do not the owner is at fault. This was a horrible incident with one dog and I hope the owner is stepping up and taking care of the situation. Either way the incident should be reported to the proper authorities so if it happens again there is a paper trail.

Where I live there is someone who owns 3 pitbulls that get loose frequently. They are a menace when they get out. For the longest time no one reported it. When ans incident finally was reported there was no real recourse because it was the first offense. The sooner the paper trail is started the better.

I did not compare anyone to a dog. I compared prejudice to prejudice. Distrust of an entire breed of animal is no different then distrust of an entire race of people. It is exactly the same thing.

Kewb,

I hope you will take this kindly, which is the spirit in which it is meant. You don't seem to understand why your post could have been offensive.  You are stating that your intent was simply to speak to prejudice and your examples fit a cognitive category of prejudice against a group. I will take you at your word, but I'd like to try to explain why what you said causes hurt and is offensive.

The issue of racism is more than a cognitive issue in a debate on another subject. You used very specific, objectionable racial stereotypes in a post about dogs. Racism and breedism are not "exactly the same thing."  Racism inflicts traumatic damage on whole groups of people and can result in death. Breedism doesn't compare on the level of impact, even remotely. It's sort of like comparing someone who has cancer to someone with a cold and saying both have to put up with annoying symptoms. If people with cancer say, "That is really not at all the same thing" and are answered back with, "But they are both examples of diseases with annoying symptoms" two points are being missed: 1) the scale of the thing is so totally off as to make the comparison tend toward misperception and  2)  a massively traumatic experience is being discounted or trivialized by being used in this way.  Does that make sense and maybe help you understand why someone reacted to it? 

Additionally you didn't just make the point abstractly but actually typed out 4 specific racial slurs. You probably didn't think about the possibility that someone from one of those groups could read it and be triggered by your post. I am not even of one of the groups listed, and I had a "kick in the gut" feeling reading them. There was no reason to type them out to make the point.

Would you consider rethinking the impact you made, however unintentional it was? 

Yes, this is a thread about the OPs dog and the trauma the dog and OP went through, but I think this topic can't be swept under the rug now that it's out there.

Laurie

Agreed.  The kind of people that own pits - as well as pits themselves- are disturbing.   Normal puppies don't attack older dogs.  Everything about this post is disturbing.  Stay far away from anyone who thinks that keeping a dog that attacks other dogs is fine. 

Oh, brother.  

I'll bite. (No pun intended)

So, what kind of person is that, exactly?

Look....everyone knows that pits have historically been bred for fighting, and that their reputation for aggression is not completely unfounded.  There is just as much truth to the stories of pit bulls and other bully breeds being beloved family pets, with no incidents of aggression at all.  To say that "the kind of people that own pits...are disturbing" is, at the very least, alarmist.

I believe that any time a dog attacks another it should be documented and reported.  A dog that attacks once is likely to do it again, and while I know the OP is busy caring for her own dog, I think that if she doesn't report it and the dog later attacks a person, she'll have regret.  Not that she'd bear any of the responsibility, but I do think she might feel some anyway.  

Oh, brother.  

I was wondering, too. Pits are extremely popular in my neck of the woods, mostly among people who rescue them. I am, therefore, surrounded by "the kind of people who own pit bulls," and it doesn't bother me one bit. 

I do want to make absolutely clear that I am in no way attempting to diminish or dismiss what happened to Mama Geek's dog, which was awful and unacceptable and terrifying. The specific dog that did this needs, at the least, serious intervention and re-training and an owner who would be much more cautious about letting it around other dogs and small beings. I just get uncomfortable with broad-brush generalizations like some of the ones being made on this thread.

City shelters are full of pitbull mixes because people get one wothout researching what the dog needs. They treat it like a possession not a living thing with needs like any other living thing.

The shelters here in Hawaii are full of pit bull mixes because they are almost all abandoned fighting dogs.

Oh, brother.  

Look....everyone knows that pits have historically been bred for fighting, and that their reputation for aggression is not completely unfounded.  There is just as much truth to the stories of pit bulls and other bully breeds being beloved family pets, with no incidents of aggression at all.  To say that "the kind of people that own pits...are disturbing" is, at the very least, alarmist.

I believe that any time a dog attacks another it should be documented and reported.  A dog that attacks once is likely to do it again, and while I know the OP is busy caring for her own dog, I think that if she doesn't report it and the dog later attacks a person, she'll have regret.  Not that she'd bear any of the responsibility, but I do think she might feel some anyway.  

My sil is one of "those people". Hers was a pit/lab mix. The dog was vicious. One of those who is that way by nature. She is the absolute best dog owner I have ever seen. She was able to keep the dog safe (from its own instincts) and happy until he died a natural death from old age. It was not an easy thing to do. 

Many of my DH's office mates are "one of those people."  The company employs many dog lovers.  Somebody rescued a pregnant pitbull, and all the puppies were adopted by co-workers.  Many of them bring their dogs to work every day.  These are well-paid white collar workers.

I would be curious to see a reputable statistic on that.

"Studies indicate that pit bull-type dogs were involved in approximately a third of human DBRF (i.e., dog bite related fatalities) reported during the 12-year period from 1981 through1992, and Rottweilers were responsible for about half of human DBRF reported during the 4 years from 1993 through 1996....[T]he data indicate that Rottweilers and pit bull-type dogs accounted for 67% of human DBRF in the United States between 1997 and 1998. It is extremely unlikely that they accounted for anywhere near 60% of dogs in the United States during that same period and, thus, there appears to be a breed-specific problem with fatalities." (Sacks JJ, Sinclair L, Gilchrist J, Golab GC, Lockwood R. Breeds of dogs involved in fatal human attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1998. JAVMA 2000;217:836-840.) 

if you go to this link there is a chart on the second page of incidents causing death by breed.

http://dogbitelaw.com/images/pdf/breeds-causing-DBRFs.pdf

hth,

ann

a) dog aggression is not related to human aggression. A dog can be aggressive to cats, chickens, livestock and other dogs but be an absolute solid sweetheart with humans.
b ) pitties are not supposed to be human aggressive
c) dog aggression in a dog that young is unusual & concerning. I'd want a thorough assessment of the dog by a certified behaviorist (which are few & far between btw)
d) dog fights are not the same as dog aggression. Dogs will sometimes fight among each other. It can be personality, it can resource guarding, it can be due to poor socialization, it can be hormonal... there are tons of reasons why some dogs just don't like each other & if they don't have savvy skills, might engage in a scrap. I've had some scraps here between my residents & foster dogs & occasionally small incidents among residents too.... None of these dogs were dog aggressive.

For myths about BSL & pitties:

"The American Temperament Test Society (ATTS) conducts temperament tests to evaluate temperament in both purebred and mixed breed dogs. Unlike various tests like the Canine Good Citizen test, the ATTS Temperament Test hopes to mitigate the influence of a dogĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s training by focusing on a dogĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s untrained, natural reactions to various threatening and nonthreatening stimuli.

The ATTS reports that in 2007, the three Ă¢â‚¬Å“pit bullĂ¢â‚¬ breeds (the American Pit Bull Terrier, the American Staffordshire Terrier and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier) had a combined passing rate of 85.5%.  This is a higher passing percentage than the Golden Retriever (84.2%), the Beagle (80.3%), the Cardigan Corgi (75.4%), the Cocker Spaniel (81.7%), and the average of all tested dogs of all breeds (81.6%)."

http://stopbsl.org/fortherecord/myths/

& most people don't even know what a pittie looks like so publicly collected stats are quite misleading as dog breeds are routinely misidentified.

Can you find the pit in these pictures? Test your knowledge.
http://www.pickthepit.com/

If I tried to insist he pay the vet bills, my friend would most likely give him the money to do so and I don't want that so we just aren't going to do that.  My friend has been very reasonable with this and went with me to the vet and was very apologetic that it happened.  We also aren't going to make a claim against her homeowners policy.  

My boy is moving around pretty well now.  The sedatives have completely worn off.  He is still oozing just a little bit from 1 puncture and his eye is looking better.  Thank you guys for listening.

The owner can't afford to pay the vet bills and the money is not a major hit to us.  I'll talk to the vet on Monday and see what they say and in the mean time we will take care of our dog.  

This is not your problem. Even if it is only ten dollars a month for five years, they need to pay. Period. Having to do that will force them to think about their ownership priorities. Don't back down.

This should be reported to piolice because a puppy willing to do this is one that will do it again. It will escalate. You have a responsibility to start the paper trail on behalf of  future victims. The authorities need to know.

If you do this through small claims, they will have to pay the court or have wages garinsheed which bypasses your friend.

If I tried to insist he pay the vet bills, my friend would most likely give him the money to do so and I don't want that so we just aren't going to do that. My friend has been very reasonable with this and went with me to the vet and was very apologetic that it happened. We also aren't going to make a claim against her homeowners policy.

My boy is moving around pretty well now. The sedatives have completely worn off. He is still oozing just a little bit from 1 puncture and his eye is looking better. Thank you guys for listening.

Please report the incident.

Kewb,

I hope you will take this kindly, which is the spirit in which it is meant. You don't seem to understand why your post could have been offensive. You are stating that your intent was simply to speak to prejudice and your examples fit a cognitive category of prejudice against a group. I will take you at your word, but I'd like to try to explain why what you said causes hurt and is offensive.

The issue of racism is more than a cognitive issue in a debate on another subject. You used very specific, objectionable racial stereotypes in a post about dogs. Racism and breedism are not "exactly the same thing." Racism inflicts traumatic damage on whole groups of people and can result in death. Breedism doesn't compare on the level of impact, even remotely. It's sort of like comparing someone who has cancer to someone with a cold and saying both have to put up with annoying symptoms. If people with cancer say, "That is really not at all the same thing" and are answered back with, "But they are both examples of diseases with annoying symptoms" two points are being missed: 1) the scale of the thing is so totally off as to make the comparison tend toward misperception and 2) a massively traumatic experience is being discounted or trivialized by being used in this way. Does that make sense and maybe help you understand why someone reacted to it?

Additionally you didn't just make the point abstractly but actually typed out 4 specific racial slurs. You probably didn't think about the possibility that someone from one of those groups could read it and be triggered by your post. I am not even of one of the groups listed, and I had a "kick in the gut" feeling reading them. There was no reason to type them out to make the point.

Would you consider rethinking the impact you made, however unintentional it was?

Yes, this is a thread about the OPs dog and the trauma the dog and OP went through, but I think this topic can't be swept under the rug now that it's out there.

Laurie

I do take your comments kindly and the spirit with which they were given. As someone who has been on the receiving end of one of the slurs I stated, along with other more offensive ones, I still believe as I believe that prejudice is prejudice and is something that needs to have a light shined on it. Nor do I disagree with one of the posters stance on not allowing pit bulls as it negatively impacts their insurance. There is no reason to put ones livelihood at risk.

I in no way discounted anyones traumatic experience. In my very first post I said the proper authorities should be contacted and the owner of the dog that attacked should be paying the vet bill. I did not defend that dog owner or at any time say the op was in the wrong.

I appreciate your comments and explanation as to why someone would take offense.

I got it on the first try. But, alas, no confetti or sparkly light and ribbons - just the knowledge of a job well done. :tongue_smilie:

I found the pit on the first try, and i've never owned a dog.

I still don't think this is about a breed. I'd report given the extent of damage done to the other dog.

I picked out the pit on first try, in 8 seconds. I'm not a vet, dog trainer, or animal specialist.

I am the owner of a standard poodle, and having known several pit bulls over the years, I don't care for the breed, and not just because they have a reputation for being aggressive. It's actually because most of the pits I've known were not very intelligent.

IMO, any large dog can present a real danger. I don't personally see the benefit to owning a large, powerful dog whose genetics were carefully selected for aggressive energy, and is of limited intelligence, on top of that. But lovers of the breed will cry foul and talk about how loving and amazing their dogs are.

To each their own, but had it been my Sammy that puppy attacked, the puppy would have been dead. I am fiercely protective of my child and my dog. Pit bull or not, I wouldn't have hesitated to break that dog's neck. And if you think I'm bluffing, let me tell you the time, as a 12 year old, I stood off with a stud (male horse, ungelded), with a pitchfork, because he was trying to attack my horse.

People need to control their animals, or be prepared to meet someone who will take their own pound of flesh.

I am so sorry this happened. I had an incident less than a year ago with a pitbull attacking my Weimaraner. I had my dog on a leash, healing beside me on a public walking/bike trail when the pit came running from a distance and ripped into my dog. My dog had not even so much as barked so this was totally unprovoked. I was kicking the pit as hard as I could in the ribs and he would not let up. Fortunately, his owner was able to get him off. Then I ripped into the owner. I was so upset that he had that dog out without a leash and I let him know how irresponsible I thought he was. (I am a nice person, but I can get fired up.) Many children walk/ride bikes on that path. I also told him he was going to pay for all vet bills and he did, every last penny. My dog had to have surgery and now I am very cautious around other dogs.

Like Hikin' Mama, we had a pit bull attack one of our dogs.  We were on a walk and it broke out of their yard and attacked.  My husband was kicking it as hard as he could and it didn't do a thing.  The owners came out and pulled it off, but were slightly injured in the process.  In our case, we didn't even question having them pay the vet bills (we weren't sure if our dog would live - but she did and it wasn't cheap).  We also asked that they put their dog down and they did.  If they hadn't, I'm not sure how we would have pursued it, but we couldn't just leave an aggressive dog out there without having done what we could about it.

I appreciate that what happened could have been worse - and you are not doing as much because it wasn't.  BUT, it is a fluke that it wasn't worse, and it does nobody any favors to protect those dog owners from the consequences of their actions.  If they will be beholden to your friends, that is the choice of your friends.  The owner of the dog that attacked ours ended up, I believe, beholden to his friend over it too (and I believe that is part of why the dog was put down so quickly).  

ETA: To be fair to other dog breeds and to give a slightly larger context, we have had our dogs bitten upon occassion by other dogs on walks (crazy area!), but nothing comes close to comparing to the bite, lock, and aggression of that pit bull.

I would report this attack in the hope that another dog or child will not be the next victim. To be honest I feel it's your obligation to try to get the name and report it.  If you can't get the name, I'm sure the authorities will be able to.   

I'm really sorry your poor dog and child went through this trauma.   

I'm a vet tech (certified, have a degree, and worked in the field for 20 years), also a certified dog trainer, although I've let that lapse lately. What you are describing is incredibly disturbing. A mentally stable 9 month old puppy doesn't attack an older, larger dog like that, causing that kind of damage. Very scary. 

And although I HUGELY disagree that pit bulls are a menace, they ARE more prone to have dog on dog agression, due to years of being bred for that specific behavior. (that has nothing to do with agression towards humans). I have no idea if that is what is going on here, if this dog is from fighting lines, or if the dog has been encouraged to fight before/trained to fight, or what. But unless there was some incredibly weird other issue going on (puppy in pain, got hurt,etc) I'd reccomend putting that puppy down. I've only advised that a few times in my life (and oddly, never with a pit bull before, once was an Akita and once was a Labrador), but this sounds very dangerous. Don't expose yourself or your pets to that dog again. That behavior is "not right". Just like some people have mental illness, dogs can have it too. Stay way. 

(but I still love pitties. Most vets and vet techs I know own at least one)

I have a deep affection for pitbulls (I say this even as someone that has been attacked by a pit; I know what happened in that circumstance and the dog's actions weren't unreasonable). I agree with this. ALL of it. The only reasons I can see for a 9mo old pit to attack is encouragement or bad temperament; either way, that pit puppy needs to be put down. You NEED to go after the owner. It was unconscionable their reactions. PLEASE report it. It is always wise for people to let other dog owners/guests know if there will be another dog owner/guest on their property. This could have/should have been prevented. I hope your fur baby heals quickly.

I surprised that the vet did not ask for the information on the dog and owner.  I guess I assumed that vets monitor and report that sort of thing.  But it seems from people's reactions that isn't so?

You know Jean, I am not certain what the law is in each state, but I wouldn't be shocked if there was no "legalized reporter" status for dog bites unless it was for dog/human attack. I could easily see states not getting into the business of dog on dog aggression. I don't agree with that because we all know how this thing escalates, but I also know how loosey goosey my own state can be on things like this so could imagine others not having any regulations on reporting this kind of incident.

If you can't afford vet bills you shouldn't even have a dog!

I agree only to an extent. We recently had a couple of dogs. We could not afford a vet bill when we got her. However, the other option was to ignore her and continue to let her starve to death; she was pretty close to it already, barely able to drag her body on the ground. Turn her in? I tried. It was toward the end of hunting season when all the unwanted and extra coonhounds were being abandoned to starve and all the shelters and rescues were full. Several of my neighbours had also taken in ones that wandered onto their properties, until they could eventually be rehomed or found shelter for. We did finally turn her the one we had left and her pups over to a shelter when we moved. It wasn't hunting season, there was room, and the shelter has a connection with the coonhound rescue.

I surprised that the vet did not ask for the information on the dog and owner.  I guess I assumed that vets monitor and report that sort of thing.  But it seems from people's reactions that isn't so?

You know Jean, I am not certain what the law is in each state, but I wouldn't be shocked if there was no "legalized reporter" status for dog bites unless it was for dog/human attack. I could easily see states not getting into the business of dog on dog aggression. I don't agree with that because we all know how this thing escalates, but I also know how loosey goosey my own state can be on things like this so could imagine others not having any regulations on reporting this kind of incident.

I tend to agree with FaithManor -- I suspect that laws governing reporting dog aggression issues varies between states.

Not to pile on, but please call the non-emergency police line and report this.  I don't know if the owners will pay for the vet, but that isn't really the issue, IMO.  They need to have a word with a law enforcement patrol about restraining their animal.

& most people don't even know what a pittie looks like so publicly collected stats are quite misleading as dog breeds are routinely misidentified.

I had a neighbor who had a boxer that people were always calling a pit bull and expressing concern about it. It was odd. 

Pits do NOT attack without provocation, that is a total lie. I've had them, my family has had them, friends have them. Sweetest dogs ever.

Really!?! I don't know if you read my post above, but neither my dog nor myself did ANYTHING to provoke the pitbull that attacked him. The pit came running from a distance and ripped into my dog. Yes, literally ripped into his flesh so that he had to have surgery. He bit my dog a few places on the legs, too. My dog was on a leash right next to me and we were simply walking down the bike path. There are no houses there. The pit was not protecting his territory. His owner was walking him, without a leash, down the same path. Please explain how we provoked the pitbull.

Really!?! I don't know if you read my post above, but neither my dog nor myself did ANYTHING to provoke the pitbull that attacked him. The pit came running from a distance and ripped into my dog. Yes, literally ripped into his flesh so that he had to have surgery. He bit my dog a few places on the legs, too. My dog was on a leash right next to me and we were simply walking down the bike path. There are no houses there. The pit was not protecting his territory. His owner was walking him, without a leash, down the same path. Please explain how we provoked the pitbull.

You didn't do anything to provoke. They don't need provocation. IMO, I truly cannot understand why a person would want an animal with such potential to do serious harm. Pit bulls aren't the only breed, there are other notoriously aggressive breeds that also attack unprovoked. IMO, these more aggressive-prone dogs just do not belong in the general population. And owners need to face much more serious consequences for their dog's behavior. People shouldn't have to be fearful of being attacked walking down a public street or path.

The owner can't afford to pay the vet bills and the money is not a major hit to us. I'll talk to the vet on Monday and see what they say and in the mean time we will take care of our dog.

Affording it isn't the point. The owner needs consequences to having a dangerous dog and being proud when it attacks. What a sick individual. The owner should have thought of that before owning a pitbull and not keeping it under control.

a) dog aggression is not related to human aggression. A dog can be aggressive to cats, chickens, livestock and other dogs but be an absolute solid sweetheart with humans.

b ) pitties are not supposed to be human aggressive

c) dog aggression in a dog that young is unusual & concerning. I'd want a thorough assessment of the dog by a certified behaviorist (which are few & far between btw)

d) dog fights are not the same as dog aggression. Dogs will sometimes fight among each other. It can be personality, it can resource guarding, it can be due to poor socialization, it can be hormonal... there are tons of reasons why some dogs just don't like each other & if they don't have savvy skills, might engage in a scrap. I've had some scraps here between my residents & foster dogs & occasionally small incidents among residents too.... None of these dogs were dog aggressive.

For myths about BSL & pitties:

"The American Temperament Test Society (ATTS) conducts temperament tests to evaluate temperament in both purebred and mixed breed dogs. Unlike various tests like the Canine Good Citizen test, the ATTS Temperament Test hopes to mitigate the influence of a dogĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s training by focusing on a dogĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s untrained, natural reactions to various threatening and nonthreatening stimuli.

The ATTS reports that in 2007, the three Ă¢â‚¬Å“pit bullĂ¢â‚¬ breeds (the American Pit Bull Terrier, the American Staffordshire Terrier and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier) had a combined passing rate of 85.5%.  This is a higher passing percentage than the Golden Retriever (84.2%), the Beagle (80.3%), the Cardigan Corgi (75.4%), the Cocker Spaniel (81.7%), and the average of all tested dogs of all breeds (81.6%)."

http://stopbsl.org/fortherecord/myths/

I picked the pit on the first try.  It's the eyes.  

I wouldn't say I could spot one every time but I definitely spotted him/her in this lineup.  

I've worked with a lot of dogs over the years.  I am very cautious with certain dogs.  Not specifically because of their breed but because they have inconsistent body language and an unpredictability that makes them, in my eyes, more dangerous.  Some of these have been pits or pit mixes but others have been chows.  Breeding problems can be a big deal.   We have springers which are considered very family friendly but even springers can have what is called "springer rage" which can result in major problems.  

Some of these have been pits or pit mixes but others have been chows. 

My husband's parents had a chow mix that was the sweetest dog.  Until one day she snapped and brutally attacked her companion dog who had been like a mother to her.  The vet told MIL that wasn't the first time he'd heard of a chow doing that later in life.  It was awful.  She was put down that very day, and thankfully their other dog recovered and had a few more good years.

We said we'd never get a chow as it simply wasn't worth the risk... likewise, I have met some pit bulls that are very sweet too, but I feel the same about them in regards to risk.  If that's "discriminatory" then so be it.