Menu

Lial's Introductory Algebra (yet again!)

I asked on the previous board about helps available for Lial's Intro Algebra. I'm not interested in DVTs and such and am hoping the student text with accompanying student solutions manual will be sufficient. Someone (can't remember her name...sorry!) mentioned that she liked having the teacher's manual as well. I'm not clear on what the TM offers beyond what's in the solutions manual, though. Can anyone elaborate on this? I'm wondering in general what most people use alongside the text. Also, is there any significant difference between the 7th and 8th editions? I think Jann in TX has said no to that in the past, but I need my memory refreshed. Thanks!

Colleen,

My daughter is half-way through the 7th edition of Lials. By reading lots of past posts on Introductory Algebra before making my purchase, I came to the conclusion that the 7th edition is fine, preferable to me actually since it was much cheaper. There weren't any significant differences in the 7th and 8th editions. I also picked up the student solutions manual, which we have used a grand total of once so far. That may change as we reach the end of the book. :)

Lials has been great for us. Here is our format: We read the lesson together, pausing after each example for me to work a problem on the white board; then R works the side problems on the white board; then we move to the next example. I took LoriM's advice and let R check her answer after each problem. (She only does the odds.) We usually spend one day on the lesson, then one day on the problems.

If you still have some questions, I'd be glad to answer them.

Cathy

Thanks for your reply, Cathy. I was going to come back and answer later, but since I was able to get past the "busy server", I'd better take advantage now. Is the 7th edition the one with the windmill on the cover? Is that a softcover book? If you have them on hand, can you give me the ISBNs for both the text and the student solutions manual?

I'm going to have to buckle down and make myself more available to my oldest as he moves into this text. I admittedly am pulled in many directions what with my posse of boys, and my son has pretty much been doing math on his own. Of course I'm available to answer questions, but I haven't been reading lessons with him or working example problems together. He didn't need me for that when he was using Lial's BCM, but I think it will be more important now with the actual algebra text. To that end, it's good to hear the system you use with your daughter. Btw, does she answer the evens and odds when she takes the tests? Thanks for your help!

The 7th edition does have the windmill on the (soft) cover. ISBN 0321064585;

Student solution ISBN 0321091051

R did math mostly on her own until this year. It does take more time with this method, but she is doing so well that I really see the benefit of it for her. However, each child is different, and I foresee my next child needing less teaching time from me when he hits algebra. I'm sure you'll find a balance that's right for your son once you start the book.

R does all the problems for the test, and often for the chapter review exercises and cumulative review, too.

A fellow "Elastagirl",

Cathy

Guest lynktum

I found this post, I think I missed it because of all the "busy server" messages I've been getting.

I found the thread I referred to in my other post to you. I'm hoping I can link it for you.

http://wtmboards.com/HSboardSep052007/messages/2460.html

I believe you will find lots of info that you need there. I also found the publisher's site in case you need that.

http://www.pearsonhighered.com/educator/academic/course/0,,70151,00%2ben-USS_01DBC.html

Just in case you are interested I also found a response from Jann about the same question I just asked her. She said the 9th ed is from the "Beginning Algebra" series, with the layout and feel being a bit different.

Lyn

Colleen, if you buy the solutions manual, you could always have him consult that if he gets stuck. I use it for that - to see each step.

The TM really doesn't have much more than just the student edition with answers. I use it, because we do the lesson together - which really isn't necessary at all (I just have some time on my hands now, and I like keeping up).

The 7th edition is fine. It was published in 2002, so it's very up-to-date. You can get it on half.com (and the solutions manual) for next to nothing. Just make sure you're getting the student edition.

One suggestion - if you are going to have your ds work through it independently, it would work well to have him work through the examples and sidebar problems one day, then the odds in the problem set the next. He can check his work when he's finished, and look at the solutions manual for any that were incorrect.

I think Lial's is very user-friendly, even done mostly independently.

I have both the 7th and 8th editions of Introductory Algebra--VERY VERY similar--and in some parts exactly the same problems.

I normally plan on each lesson taking 2 days. Depending on the material covered in the lesson I sometimes split the teaching part into 2 chunks going over let's say Examples 1-3 on one day, working the odds that correspond and then going over Examples 3-5 the next day and working the remaining odd problems. My dd usually checks after every problem or at least after every section of problems and corrects before moving on. Lesson is not complete until ALL problems have been worked out correctly.

I allow at least 2 days (usually 3) for the Chapter Reviews as I require ALL problems to be worked out and that means nearly 100 problems for most chapters! In most cases I have her work all of the problems on the tests. We do Cumulative Reviews as needed.

Answers for the odd homework problems as well as ALL of the answers for the Chapter Reviews, Tests and Cumulative Reviews are in the back of the student text.

I have the text only for this level. I have the text, TE and student solutions manual for Intermediate Algebra (but the solutions manual has yet to be used and I only use the TE on occasions when I want to plan and dd is using her text--or if she needs help on a lesson and doesn't feel like sharing/cuddling.

HTH