Menu

Im a bad ballet Mom

LibraryLover

My girls were in the Nutcracker for years, and we loved it! One time I asked the artistic director of their company if she ever got tired of it (she had directed it about 30 years at that time), and she said she would never be tired of the Nutcracker. They did such a beautiful job -- even the littlest angels put on a flawless performance. I remember the first time I worked backstage helping the little ones with their costumes. I got such a kick out of seeing what went on behind the scenes. There were some crazy quick changes with much dashing around and commotion, while out on the stage everything was so lovely. Those were good times!

And I would agree with you if this conversation had happened in private.

I didn't know that the first rule about Nutcracker is that we can't talk about Nutcracker.

I guess we shouldn't talk about how sometimes Girl Scout moms get sick of cookies, and families with a kids with a heavy soccer schedule sometimes get sick of soccer, and families with kids in theater get sick of rehearsals, and sometimes (gasp) homeschooling parents get sick of homeschooling and fantasize about sending their kids to school.

I didn't know that the first rule about Nutcracker is that we can't talk about Nutcracker.

I guess we shouldn't talk about how sometimes Girl Scout moms get sick of cookies, and families with a kids with a heavy soccer schedule sometimes get sick of soccer, and families with kids in theater get sick of rehearsals, and sometimes (gasp) homeschooling parents get sick of homeschooling and fantasize about sending their kids to school.

You are, of course, welcome to talk about anything you want that does not violate board rules. 

I think it's different to come to a homeschooling forum and share your struggles with other homeschooling parents. And I've certainly had private conversations with the parents of kids who are in activities with mine in which I admitted to being a teensy bit tired of sitting in the car waiting for yet another tech rehearsal to end. 

I just think it was . . . tacky and perhaps a little unkind to folks who do cherish an annual Nutcracker tradition to toss around words like "loathe" and "detest" in a public forum. It made me sad. And it seems unnecessary to tarnish someone else's magic.

But it's not like I'm the Nutcracker police. So, carry on.

If you want to cherish the "magic" of Nutcracker, you shouldn't be wading into a thread called "I'm a bad ballet Mom".

I'll be honest. This is the first year my girls are doing Nutcracker, and between nonstop rehearsals and stage mom drama I am already over it. I'll continue to do it each year the girls want to do it as I think it's a good experience and lets them put to use all the technical things they learn in class.

But yeah, it's kind of like making sausage. You don't want to know what it's like behind the scenes.

You are, of course, welcome to talk about anything you want that does not violate board rules.

I think it's different to come to a homeschooling forum and share your struggles with other homeschooling parents. And I've certainly had private conversations with the parents of kids who are in activities with mine in which I admitted to being a teensy bit tired of sitting in the car waiting for yet another tech rehearsal to end.

I just think it was . . . tacky and perhaps a little unkind to folks who do cherish an annual Nutcracker tradition to toss around words like "loathe" and "detest" in a public forum. It made me sad. And it seems unnecessary to tarnish someone else's magic.

But it's not like I'm the Nutcracker police. So, carry on.

Personally, I think if the tackiest and most unkind thing we ever talk about on this forum is how some moms are sick to death of the Nutcracker, we will have the happiest, most peaceful discussion board in the history of the world. ;)

Visit a couple of Duggar threads and this thread will seem positively joyful by comparison.

I think it should take a whole lot more than I'm reading here to tarnish anyone's magic. My magic is still nice and shiny. :D

What I'm not looking forward to with Nutcracker season is all the extra running around on top of the regular schedule.  But once Christmas is over, then the extra running around is competition prep, so I guess it's not really that much extra anyway.  It just seems it after a fairly laid back summer.

But my kids are excited, as always, and we're waiting impatiently for the parts to be e-mailed out. 

I don't do the stage mom thing for regular performances (Nutcracker, recital, etc) as my DH is always in the sound booth doing sound and lights and calling the show, so one of us has to be available for running around or emergencies.  So I get to watch every. single. performance.   In the past, by the end of the last show my head was literally swimming, I'd seen enough, but I still managed to get choked up with the final bows and enjoyed seeing my children give it their all.

Our new studio has changed things up, however.  We only perform the second half of the Nutcracker- from Snow on.  The first half of our show is high energy jazz, hip-hop and tap dances set to Christmas music.   I was surprised with how much I enjoyed it.  And to not have to do curly hair for the party scene?  Ah, wonderful.   Now everyone is simply in a bun from start to finish. 

Our new studio has changed things up, however. We only perform the second half of the Nutcracker- from Snow on. The first half of our show is high energy jazz, hip-hop and tap dances set to Christmas music. I was surprised with how much I enjoyed it. And to not have to do curly hair for the party scene? Ah, wonderful. Now everyone is simply in a bun from start to finish.

I could get behind this! Not a fan of the party scene at all.

Our new studio has changed things up, however.  We only perform the second half of the Nutcracker- from Snow on.  The first half of our show is high energy jazz, hip-hop and tap dances set to Christmas music.   I was surprised with how much I enjoyed it.  And to not have to do curly hair for the party scene?  Ah, wonderful.   Now everyone is simply in a bun from start to finish. 

Our studio for the past 3 years has done a smaller version of Nutcracker, and I have to admit it's nice.  I have seen the full professional Nutcracker a number of times and arg, it's LOOOONG!

I love having a dancer (I kind of have 2, my son dances a little as well), I sniffle back tears at every show, I drive, I sew, I cook.  We have a warm and welcoming studio where there aren't diva moms and competitive vibes.  I still think it's ok not to love every single part of it!  It's a ton of work!  I'm sure I'll look back fondly on these years when my kids move on. 

For now, I'm celebrating the fact that our studio is doing more of a mixed dance show this Christmas season.  They still are doing a few Nutcracker scenes.  Our Christmas show is a community outreach.  We go out into the community and do free shows at many locations and get the word out about the studio.  Our studio offers tons of scholarship and work study options in our urban community.  So it's a little different that participating in the full production anyway, although it's always professionally done and costumed - just on a smaller scale.  Our biggest full length staged production will be in February. 

This is my daughter's sixth nutcracker and my foster son's first. Cast list comes out tomorrow....

The nutcracker is kind of unappealing musically and choreographed very similar each year... Yet, it is such a delight to kids and families in our town, so it's hard to dislike it too much.

In college I knew a professional ballet dancer, she said that Nutcracker was created so that lots of parents could see their kids perform.  After I learned that, I warmed up to it, and it explains the "Not challenging" aspects of it.  

DD aged 4 has a book that tells the story.  I think she'd really like to see the ballet.  The story is quite charming.  

I adore Nut, partly for the lovely show that it is, but mostly I love it because my DD loves it. She loves rehearsals, she loves the music, she loves learning new roles, and occasionally performing old roles. It is a wonderful experience and I don't care how many family dinners/events have to be rearranged or how many rehearsals I have to drive to...Nut is part of who my DD is and I love watching her and all her dance friends grow and thrive in ballet. 

That said, it is not everyone's cup of tea and that is ok.

I'm sure it'll be great though. Ds's teacher was raving about what a great Nutcracker Ballet West does.

My dd performed Nutcracker at Ballet West as a student for years.  It was very professionally run, and it's a beautiful show.  That's the production where parents were not allowed backstage at all for any reason.  I was all in favor of that rule. :D

My dd performed Nutcracker at Ballet West as a student for years. It was very professionally run, and it's a beautiful show. That's the production where parents were not allowed backstage at all for any reason. I was all in favor of that rule. :D

It had many more rehearsals than most in the past, including much earlier ones and they said on the audition notice not even to turn up if you were going to miss even one. Professional indeed! Ds was heartbroken, but one of the cool things about living in DC is that there's a constant stream of different ballets at the Kennedy Center and now that he's a little older he can audition more. He's done one real professional audition and wants to do more, so there's always next year.

My dd performed Nutcracker at Ballet West as a student for years.  It was very professionally run, and it's a beautiful show.  That's the production where parents were not allowed backstage at all for any reason.  I was all in favor of that rule. :D

By this time next year, because we are moving, DD12 will be dancing at a pre-professional school attached to a union ballet company, where parent volunteerism is actually truly voluntary, not required.This will be nice for a change, since I put in several hundred hours per year right now (I don't really want to put in this many hours, but my particular volunteer job is time-consuming).

I do truly love all that ballet means for my daughter (who wants to be a pro) and my other children who dance for fun, but I'm very much looking forward to letting ballet be DD's thing and having time to pursue some of my own non-ballet dreams.

By this time next year, because we are moving, DD12 will be dancing at a pre-professional school attached to a union ballet company, where parent volunteerism is actually truly voluntary, not required.This will be nice for a change, since I put in several hundred hours per year right now (I don't really want to put in this many hours, but my particular volunteer job is time-consuming).

I do truly love all that ballet means for my daughter (who wants to be a pro) and my other children who dance for fun, but I'm very much looking forward to letting ballet be DD's thing and having time to pursue some of my own non-ballet dreams.

It does get easier as they get older.  Girls start dropping out around 14 or 15, because they discover boys, or they find that their talent level has not grown to what you need to be a professional.  So the classes are smaller and more focused toward a career in ballet.  Also, once your dd can drive, you're home free!  I was so happy when that happened.  My dd's professional school went from 11:30 AM to 6:30 PM, M-F, plus extra evenings and weekends for company rehearsals if they were in the middle of a production.  It was an hour commute round-trip, so when I no longer had to do that, I was cartwheeling with joy. :D

It had many more rehearsals than most in the past, including much earlier ones and they said on the audition notice not even to turn up if you were going to miss even one. Professional indeed! Ds was heartbroken, but one of the cool things about living in DC is that there's a constant stream of different ballets at the Kennedy Center and now that he's a little older he can audition more. He's done one real professional audition and wants to do more, so there's always next year.

If your son is ever interested, Ballet West has an excellent summer intensive here in Salt Lake.

If I can make it through life without seeing Nutcracker or a theater production of Alice in Wonderland, I will not feel I lost out at all. Lol.

But, I can watch my own kiddos perform any show over and over, and I never get tired of it. But, make me sit through the same show with performers I don't know, and it is a chore. I guess that makes me a bad ballet/theater patron.

p.s. I even regularly watch old recital/theater videos.