Menu

Disney World Questions

Rubix

So, we are pretty familiar with Disney.  However, we are planning a trip for next year and are doing things a little differently - maybe.  

We live in the midwest.  With stops we have about a 24 hour drive - 2 long days of driving with a hotel stop.  We are planning a Disney trip for 13 days next November (early in the month).  We have always drove, but this year our kids will be 8,6, and almost 2.  I really don't want to drive.  I get carsick and am miserable if anyone else drives, and the drive is just too long for me to be safe driving on my own.  

We also have a timeshare that we have stayed at the last times we went.  But, when I add up airfare, car rental, tickets, parking, and food, this trip will be MUCH more than what we have spent in the past, even though the lodging would be free.  

We are considering booking on Disney property - it will save us the cost of a rental car.  With the time we are booking, there may be deals for free dining and a discount on the room.  

So, here are some things I am wondering- 

Where are good places to stay on site that are not super expensive but are big enough to accomodate 5 for 2 weeks?  I know the kids would love the animal kingdom place, but it is worth the cost?

Would we be better booking DVC points? (I thought so initially, but with the dining plan being about 2000 maybe not?)

How does the bus system work - does it only go to Disney parks?  What about Downtown Disney or Sea World ?

How can you do laundry?  

Will the buses take you to other hotels if a restaurant is there?  How hard it is to travel on the bus with a stroller, diaper bag/backpack, etc?  

Is the Mickey Christmas Party worth it?  We didn't budget for it last time, but looks like fun maybe.  Our older kids are night owls, so I'm not worried about the time really.  Would you stay at MK all day or it looks like you can come at 4pm for the party and save a ticket day?

Dining - help!!!  We have always made it our mission to eat at Disney as little as possible to save money and we had a full kitchen.  If we have a dining plan, I won't know what to do with it.  Really our only experience there is a counter service meal at one place, and we did one character dining at Garden Grille because it was my son's b-day.  My DD cannot have gluten, DS cannot have red dye or tree nuts.  When we did GF at garden grille, my DD wasn't impressed :(  All she could have was a chicken leg and sides.  In addition to allergies, they tend to be picky and don't like as much of the naturally GF foods like grilled chicken, fish, steak.  It looks like some places have GF pizza or chicken tenders or hot dogs & hamburgers, but I'm not sure how to know what she can get.  

- We would like be our guest

- What about buffets?  Do you miss out on the character part getting up & getting food for yourself & 3 kids?

Tips on the airport/plane/getting gear through the airport/packing with the kids?  I've only flown twice and the kids never have, 

Things we are planning on:

We would like to do 8 days at the parks, 2 at each.  We may do a longer ticket to do some shorter days since the cost upgrade is minimal.  Our initial quote is for 10 days.  

Renting a double stroller.  I don't remember the name of the place, but somewhere that delivered one.  

Getting the photopass thing.  

Any other tips?  I've been reading lots of info but hints specific to our situation are so helpful!

When we went in 2011 there were no gf cookies at the very merry christmas party. Basically there were several cookie and cocoa stations marked on the map for the night. There were trays of cookies that they unwrapped and it was a free for all grabbing cookies. We didn't like it as much as the Halloween Party.

We always stay at Fort Wilderness,either in our camper or in the cabins. You would like the cabins because they include a full kitchen with housekeeping. We had groceries delivered and cooked 2 meals a day ourselves. Disney buses will take you everywhere on their property.

When we went in 2011 there were no gf cookies at the very merry christmas party. Basically there were several cookie and cocoa stations marked on the map for the night. There were trays of cookies that they unwrapped and it was a free for all grabbing cookies. We didn't like it as much as the Halloween Party.

We always stay at Fort Wilderness,either in our camper or in the cabins. You would like the cabins because they include a full kitchen with housekeeping. We had groceries delivered and cooked 2 meals a day ourselves. Disney buses will take you everywhere on their property.

Thanks!  If we decide to do the party, we can bring an alternate for our DD.  I'll look into the cabins, thanks.  

Right now we have been looking at Art of Animation, or another value resort.  

Bus system goes to Downtown Disney. You can get pretty much anywhere on Disney property using their transportation system. Seaworld is not a part of Disney so they don't go there.

Ok, no big deal.  We weren't sure about Sea World anyway.  

No place on property is cheep, and the cheeper places (all star resorts) might be really tight for that many in one room for two weeks.

DVC resorts would give you more space depending what size room you want. A studio is basically like a hotel room. A 1 bedroom would have a full kitchen and a separate bedroom with a king size bed. The living room has a pull out couch and some have a second small bed that is sort of like a Murphy bed. There is a pack and play for the baby. Some 1 bedrooms have only one bathroom, but some have two bathrooms. 1 bedrooms and larger have a stacking washer and dryer in the unit. There are also laundry rooms in each resort.

I've been told, from people who love the Halloween party and Disney in general, that the Christmas party wasn't worth the cost to them. I haven't done the Christmas party myself.

I would pick up the extra days, given the cost won't be much different. We got a park hopper option for the first time in our recent trip. This let us go to the less crowded parks and hop to the more crowded for fireworks in the evening. I really liked it. More days than you really need might do the same thing though. If you have that many days, I can't imagine you need to save a ticket day with the Holiday party!

I would have trouble doing two weeks in a value resort/hotel room size when I was used to condo type space! I like having a laundry free so I can pack less. I love having a kitchen for my food allergy kid and his super picky twin. We just got back from being there for nealry two weeks. I liked having a car to go to the store and other Orlando places. Two weeks is a (gloriously) long time, and you might want to be off property some.

You can eat out off property cheaper than the meal plan, or I've been told...allergies make that harder. You might even find on property dining cheaper than the meal plan though. http://www.disneytouristblog.com/disney-dining-plan-v-paying-out-pocket/ You know you can make food, or even buy all convenience foods, cheaper than eating out on or off property.

Compare all your options for price and pros/cons.

DVC resorts would give you more space depending what size room you want. A studio is basically like a hotel room. A 1 bedroom would have a full kitchen and a separate bedroom with a king size bed. The living room has a pull out couch and some have a second small bed that is sort of like a Murphy bed. There is a pack and play for the baby. Some 1 bedrooms have only one bathroom, but some have two bathrooms. 1 bedrooms and larger have a stacking washer and dryer in the unit. There are also laundry rooms in each resort.

Renting DVC points is a great option. A one bedroom also include a full kitchen so you can cook breakfast (or any meal you like) in the room. Wegoshop.com is a great place that will deliver groceries to your room. I wouldn't do animal Kingdom Lodge. It is so far from everything that every bus is a long ride. I love staying at Wilderness Lodge, you can take a boat to MK. Boardwalk is my favorite though. You are in walking distance to Epcot or Hollywood Studios, or you can take the boat.

My son has several allergies (gluten, corn, soy, peanut, etc) and he's always had plenty of options. He eats better at Disney than anywhere else, including home. Chefs at sit down restaurants make him custom things all the time. He just tells them what he wants and they whip it up.

As for the bus, you can't go from hotel to hotel by bus. You will have to go to a park or downtown Disney and then get the bus to the resort you want. Not a big deal really. You just get on the first park bus that arrives and then you take the bus to your resort.

Be Our Guest books up 180'days out (dining reservations can be made as far out as 180 days). Once you book your dates, mark your calendar for 180 days, and be on the phone that morning at 7a.m. To have even a slim change to get Be Our Guest. Even then, try a date towards the end of your trip, if you are booked for a Disney Resort. Resorts guests get the perk of booking 180 days plus 10. Meaning a non-resort guest can call today to book March 19th. Then call tomorrow to book March 20th. Then call the next day to book March 21st....day by day. A Disney resort guest call call on the 180 day (for the date they are checking in), so today for March 19th...and then book the next 10 days (the perk being you can book all of your dining in one call). Point is...so let's say you called today to book Be Our Guest for March 19th....called right at 7am when phones open...only to find out be Our a Guest is already completely booked for March 19th...how could that be possible???? Because it's already been booked by those Disney guests for the last 10 days! Cinderella's Royal Table and Chef Mickey's is very similiar in terms of popularity.

1. If you are staying that many days, consider one of you becoming an annual passholder. This would allow a 25% to 30% discount on the room if you book it right. You will need to watch for the passholder deals. Unfortunately, this may eliminate your family being able to get the free dining plan so do the math.

2. Favorite locations for more than 2 small children:

a. Art of Animation, one room suite. My grandson thinks this IS DisneyWorld. LOL. Kitchen, W/D in room.

b. Port Orleans, Riverside, 2 adjoining rooms. Keep the door open between rooms. No kitchen, just refrigerator.

c. Any of the other 1 or 2 bedroom suites, but these others are expensive. Saratoga Springs sometimes is cheap.

3. All sit-down restaurants can accommodate food allergies, if ressies made in advance with description of allergy. Be careful. Disney is now charging your credit card if you change ressies, even if booking with another Disney restaurant, within 24 hours.

4. You will not need a car if you stay inside DisneyWorld. However, if you want to run outside the compound, you will need to rent a car for the day or take a cab. Since you are going to be there so long, consider a side trip to Legoland since your kiddos are so small. The entire park is designed for the 10 and under crowd.

Enjoy your trip!

4. You will not need a car if you stay inside DisneyWorld. However, if you want to run outside the compound, you will need to rent a car for the day or take a cab. Since you are going to be there so long, consider a side trip to Legoland since your kiddos are so small. The entire park is designed for the 10 and under crowd.

Enjoy your trip!

If you want to rent a car for a day the Swan & Dolphin has a car rental agency so it is easy to pick up/drop off a car.

I would say it depends on when you are going.

Twice now we have simply waited in line.  We have gone around 2:00pm after having a late breakfast.

We have gotten in within 20 minutes and had a place to sit very easily.  The only problem is that they do shut down between lunch and dinner, so getting drink refills was tricky as they start shutting down the stations, can't remember, maybe around 3pm?

Dawn

PS:  Oh, just looked it up, they only do dinner reservations, so lunch would have to be stand in line only.  We really enjoyed it and plan to do it again in Dec. when we go.

Be Our Guest books up 180'days out (dining reservations can be made as far out as 180 days). Once you book your dates, mark your calendar for 180 days, and be on the phone that morning at 7a.m. To have even a slim change to get Be Our Guest. Even then, try a date towards the end of your trip, if you are booked for a Disney Resort. Resorts guests get the perk of booking 180 days plus 10. Meaning a non-resort guest can call today to book March 19th. Then call tomorrow to book March 20th. Then call the next day to book March 21st....day by day. A Disney resort guest call call on the 180 day (for the date they are checking in), so today for March 19th...and then book the next 10 days (the perk being you can book all of your dining in one call). Point is...so let's say you called today to book Be Our Guest for March 19th....called right at 7am when phones open...only to find out be Our a Guest is already completely booked for March 19th...how could that be possible???? Because it's already been booked by those Disney guests for the last 10 days! Cinderella's Royal Table and Chef Mickey's is very similiar in terms of popularity.

Just to answer a few questions...and they may have already been answered because I haven't read through the entire thread.  If you stay at a DVC, you have laundry facilities in your room, which is GREAT!  You can pack relatively light and just re-wear :)

Buses go everywhere on Disney property, which means all the hotels and Downtown Disney.  We take the auto train down and preferred to drive to all but one park because it was quicker and easier than the bus, but if you give yourself plenty of time the buses will get you where you need to go.

We did a Photopass share two times (so paid very little) and still never found it to be worth it.  YMMV. 

Regarding buffets, you will have time to meet and take some pics with the characters.  You won't miss them running back and forth to the buffet.  

If you can swing it, try some nice sit down restaurants.  We especially love eating at the nicer resort restaurants.  The food is usually better and the atmosphere can really add to the experience.  We especially like Animal Kingdom because you can go see all the animals.

Port orleans allows for 5 people in one room. They have a trundle type bed that pulls out into the floor. It was the only non suite room we could book with 5 people which made it less expensive. We also received free dining plan which was wonderful! But as said above, for sit down meals reservations need to be made as soon as your 180 days will allow.

So, we are pretty familiar with Disney.  However, we are planning a trip for next year and are doing things a little differently - maybe.  

We live in the midwest.  With stops we have about a 24 hour drive - 2 long days of driving with a hotel stop.  We are planning a Disney trip for 13 days next November (early in the month).  We have always drove, but this year our kids will be 8,6, and almost 2.  I really don't want to drive.  I get carsick and am miserable if anyone else drives, and the drive is just too long for me to be safe driving on my own.  

We also have a timeshare that we have stayed at the last times we went.  But, when I add up airfare, car rental, tickets, parking, and food, this trip will be MUCH more than what we have spent in the past, even though the lodging would be free.  

We are considering booking on Disney property - it will save us the cost of a rental car.  With the time we are booking, there may be deals for free dining and a discount on the room.  

So, here are some things I am wondering- 

Where are good places to stay on site that are not super expensive but are big enough to accomodate 5 for 2 weeks?  I know the kids would love the animal kingdom place, but it is worth the cost?

Would we be better booking DVC points? (I thought so initially, but with the dining plan being about 2000 maybe not?)

How does the bus system work - does it only go to Disney parks?  What about Downtown Disney or Sea World ?

How can you do laundry?  

Will the buses take you to other hotels if a restaurant is there?  How hard it is to travel on the bus with a stroller, diaper bag/backpack, etc?  

Is the Mickey Christmas Party worth it?  We didn't budget for it last time, but looks like fun maybe.  Our older kids are night owls, so I'm not worried about the time really.  Would you stay at MK all day or it looks like you can come at 4pm for the party and save a ticket day?

Dining - help!!!  We have always made it our mission to eat at Disney as little as possible to save money and we had a full kitchen.  If we have a dining plan, I won't know what to do with it.  Really our only experience there is a counter service meal at one place, and we did one character dining at Garden Grille because it was my son's b-day.  My DD cannot have gluten, DS cannot have red dye or tree nuts.  When we did GF at garden grille, my DD wasn't impressed :(  All she could have was a chicken leg and sides.  In addition to allergies, they tend to be picky and don't like as much of the naturally GF foods like grilled chicken, fish, steak.  It looks like some places have GF pizza or chicken tenders or hot dogs & hamburgers, but I'm not sure how to know what she can get.  

- We would like be our guest

- What about buffets?  Do you miss out on the character part getting up & getting food for yourself & 3 kids?

Tips on the airport/plane/getting gear through the airport/packing with the kids?  I've only flown twice and the kids never have, 

Things we are planning on:

We would like to do 8 days at the parks, 2 at each.  We may do a longer ticket to do some shorter days since the cost upgrade is minimal.  Our initial quote is for 10 days.  

Renting a double stroller.  I don't remember the name of the place, but somewhere that delivered one.  

Getting the photopass thing.  

Any other tips?  I've been reading lots of info but hints specific to our situation are so helpful!

A couple thoughts - 

Definitely look at Port Orleans Riverside.  Sleeps five and we were quite comfortable with our two teen boys and 8 yo girl in the room.  Of course, we weren't there often.  Being that you are there for such a long time, I'd definitely price out a DVC rental with paying for dining vs. POR with free dining.  

There is laundry at POR.  I know others chimed in about the DVC places.  Know that you can do it at POR too!  Just not in your unit.

Traveling on Disney transport - You need a system.  You need a stroller that folds easily.  You need a bag or bags that can be easily grabbed from the stroller and carried.  You don't want a bunch of STUFF in the bottom of the stroller as you'll have to fold it to get on a bus.  We usually carry a bag in the back of the stroller with rain gear, sunscreen, mittens/hats (time of year dependent), and my son's medication.  When you get to the bus station at night, we grab the bag, get the kid out of the stroller (usually asleep) and fold the stroller.  Easy peasy.  Less is more.

Food.  Our Disney obsession started because of our son's food allergies.  We were amazed that we could eat out for ALL our meals and take a true vacation. There may be a learning curve for you if you get the dining plan, but you'll quickly learn what works for you and your kids and the chefs will accommodate.  It sounds silly, but the food and dining is a MAJOR reason we go to Disney so often.  (And, we've branched out to the cruises too!) 

Be Our Guest was wonderful!!!  we got lucky and scored dinner reservations a week before our trip last year.  ABSOLUTELY amazing!!!!  Go.  

I would definitely just get the 10 days over the 8.  It's not that much more expensive and it allows you more freedom - especially considering your kids' ages.  

It might be easier to rent/buy a MacLaren umbrella stroller.  Get two.  They fold up to nothing.  A double stroller is HUGE at the end of the night when you have to fold it up and get on a bus.  It might be easier to have two smaller ones.  

Christmas party - I've also read that it's not as good as the Halloween party.  We just did the Halloween party a couple weeks ago and it was truly amazing.  I've never done the Christmas party.   But, it does require you stay up late to enjoy.  We had to prep our daughter to get her to stay up for it!!!  She was a trooper and rode Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain about 10x between 11:30 and 12:30 am!!!  Love that kid!  

We just stayed at the Art of Animation in April for our first Disney trip. We are a family of five, DSs were age 8, 5, and 3 at the time. We stayed in the 1 bedroom Cars suite. We had one bedroom with a full bathroom that could be closed off from the rest of the suite. The dining table folded out to a full size bed. The couch folded out to a full size bed. There was another full bathroom. Plus a small sink, frig, microwave. It worked out really well for us and I'd definitely stay there again.

Bus questions have been answered already I think. I completely agree with PP stating that you need to be able to quickly fold up your stroller, easily unload it before boarding bus, etc. You will be unloading/folding it A LOT.

We did the dining plan. You get choices and plenty of food but I wouldn't do it again. The character meals were worth it, but the normal sit-down meals were just too time consuming for my family. Counter service meals were actually pretty good and we could easily do just those plus nutritious snacks next time. Character meals were great though! We did Chef Mickey's and Donald's Safari Breakfast.

I don't know anything about staying off site, but we were exhausted enough without adding driving into the mix! I think on-site was the way to go for us. :)

Also, unless you're going to be riding thrill rides, I'd skip photo pass. We had it and got a few nice pictures, but most of the rides my kids rode didn't take the 'action shots'. So it wasn't worth it for us.

Hope that helps a little! Happy planning!