Menu

What to do if a family is not teaching their children

Incidentally, if homeschoolers cannot articulate the difference between homeschooling and total educational neglect, then there is a serious problem with homeschooling. But I don't think there's really all the confusion that some think.

This is a great statement.  If I had been more sure of myself, I would have intervened without ever asking a question here.  Something for me to think on and ponder. 

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like it's not your business unless the children are being truly neglected.  My youngest two were basically unschooled until they were older, I just couldn't juggle formal school for all of them.  They're perfectly fine now.  As for the older one not reading well, my youngest son didn't start reading well until he was 12 or so and it wasn't because we weren't working on it.  He has dyslexia and reading was hard work for him. 

If you want to help them, I would try to be a good friend to the mom and maybe you could encourage her or suggest some easy, educational things the younger children can do.  If there is a homeschool atmostphere children will learn.  My little two learned a lot without formal education.  They were playing, being creative, listening in on our read-alouds, watching educational TV, nature studies and more. 

Also, you don't know what's going on when you're not around.  Maybe she is overwhelmed when she says she isn't doing anything with them.  I felt like that also, but in fact my children were still learning and things were being done, I just felt like I wasn't doing anything because it wasn't a curricuculum.  I would give her the benefit of the doubt.

OP, you might want to update your initial post telling people where your update is -- every time you update you get a few well-meaning people responding to the original long-since-settled question.

Yes, I just realized this is an old thread, I didn't read all 11 pages so I wasn't aware there was already a conclusion.  Sorry!

• 1 month later...

OH my goodness... I am SO SO SO glad she intervened.  The 13yo tested on a 1st grade level, and you want her to just butt out??????

OP, I am so incredibly proud of you.  You were concerned.  You got involved gently and found out all the facts and helped take care of it.  Good for you!!!

Thanks for this!

I had a request to update.  The kids seem to be happy and are making progress.  They are getting extra tutoring several days a week after school.