Menu

#Halloweenproblems

mommymilkies

If you are up for making it, McCall's has an awesome pattern kit for both Anna and Elsa dresses in one.

Oh, nice! I'm hearing rumbles that this is what my girls want for their costume this year. I did find some tutorials out in web land, but an actually patter would be nice and I have the pattern tracing patter so I can get away without cutting the pieces up. Thanks!

We are moving across the country the very day after Halloween.  We'll be in a hotel that night.  Our church has an event we might attend.  

DD6 is pretty excited about dressing up as a pumpkin....or a pilot...or a princess...or a pirate...or a dragon (!!)... it all depends on the time of day.  DS2 could not care less, but I think he'll catch on when he sees candy. 

We have a toddler flight suit which should fit him.  I'm hoping I can find one in DD's size and talk her into matching.  That would be awesome!

We are moving across the country the very day after Halloween.  We'll be in a hotel that night.  Our church has an event we might attend.  

DD6 is pretty excited about dressing up as a pumpkin....or a pilot...or a princess...or a pirate...or a dragon (!!)... it all depends on the time of day.  DS2 could not care less, but I think he'll catch on when he sees candy. 

We have a toddler flight suit which should fit him.  I'm hoping I can find one in DD's size and talk her into matching.  That would be awesome!

Oh, I think trick or treating might be mandatory in your scenario! You can't miss out on the free travel candy!!!!

Ds wants to go as the Oogie Boogie Man from Nightmare Before Christmas.  But I'm worried people will think he's going as a KKK member.  Sigh.  I tried to explain this to him.  We've agreed to make the costume more green and the grin very large and noticeable with bugs crawling out. 

This made me LOL!   :lol:

So far we have a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle (Leonardo) for youngest DD... and Laguna Blue/Monster High for oldest DD.

ds loves Halloween and asked for costumes for Christmas. ;)

I don't think he's decided yet, but he is excited that he can talk about Halloween and check out Halloween books from the library now without people thinking knowing that he's extremely strange.

My dd9 loves Halloween and always wants Halloween books from the library. Your son is not alone. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just bumping this up.  Anyone else working on costumes still?  I'm sad to say we're just getting started.  We've had some minor and major household disasters, so we haven't had a chance to start yet.  We're finishing up our finalized list of what's needed and starting masks and horns today. 

I have the materials to make a costume (a marshmallow!) but haven't started yet and don't plan to until the 27th. This will be our first homemade one, and DS is hoping it will convert to a blanket afterward.

I've never really liked Halloween. I think I'll be glad when DS outgrows it.

We always go camping at Disney for the week of Halloween. We attend the Halloween party and the campground has lots of great activities, including trick or treating. So we'll have two opportunities to wear our costumes.

DD10 - the green ninja from Ninjago

DD7 - Izzy from Jake and the Neverland Pirates

DD3 - Jake from Jake and the Neverland Pirates

Nephew18 - Prince Eric from The Little Mermaid

DH and I - I was going to be Where's Waldo (already bought the stuff but I'll save it for next year) but decided for DH and I to be Ninja Turtles. I bought us the costume tee shirts and we'll wear masks with it. I contemplated the turtle shell backpack, but I'm not totally sure yet. I'm Michelangelo and he's Leonardo....though he doesn't know this yet LOL.

I have a Shock mask (Nightmare Before Christmas) drying so it can be painted, and a 3/4 way done Oogie Boogie costume! We've been working our tails off today.  I need some supplies for a lot of the other costumes, so we will have to do that next week.  Tomorrow is alginate and plaster mask making for prosthetics. 

I am making Kaya the American Girl Doll costume for dd1 and dd2 will be her dog, Tatlo. I am going to work on a brown and cream mask for her. She can use the vest and arm and leg cuffs and tail from dd1's costume last year (she was a wolf).

I have some of the ribbon trims sewn on the Kaya costume, a few more then I can stitch the sides up.

We usually improvise costumes from what we have around the house, but this year I'm doing a bit of crafting (from my stash yarn, woohoo!) to round things out. Dd8 is Hermione - we're using an old clergy shirt of dh's as robes (previously was used for judge's robes) and I'm frogging an unfinished Jayne hat for yarn to make a Gryffindor scarf; I'll probably buy a Gryffindor crest and we'll improvise something for a wand. Dd5.5 is Elsa - she already had a dress from my mom that was Disney princess-ish (long and blue with sparkles) that works, and I'm crocheting an Elsa hat and picked up some fancy shiny see-through fabric to make into a cape. Dh has visions of dressing ds3 as a hobbit (he's got the cutest hobbit curls), but I'm leaving it up to dh to sort it ;).

This year I have a monster high girl, my 13 yo dyed his hair blue so he is going as Thing 1, and my 11yo ds is going to be a zombie for the third year in a row. Last year we got kicked out of a church and the mall because my DH also dresses up ( usually to match dd). Dh was upset but it has made for great stories ;)

Just bumping this up.  Anyone else working on costumes still?  I'm sad to say we're just getting started.  We've had some minor and major household disasters, so we haven't had a chance to start yet.  We're finishing up our finalized list of what's needed and starting masks and horns today. 

In the last week, both of my kids have gotten me involved in their costumes. So, I was at JoAnn's today texting each of them photos of fabric and letting them tell me what they like.

My daughter is dressing at a vintage/pin-up-inspired "spirit of Halloween." She's taking care of most of it at her end, but I'll be sewing a circle skirt for her out of some Halloween-ish fabric. I hope to have it done over the weekend and in the mail to her on Monday.

My son has been working on his on costume on the weekends he's been home. He's doing something steampunk-ish and had been planning to wear clothes he already owns as a base. However, he's scheduled to perform in his first concert with the musical theatre ensemble at his college the week before Halloween. They are singing some spooky selections, including pieces from Sweeny Todd and Jekyll and Hyde and are supposed to try for a Victorian vibe. It occurred to him that a double-breasted brocade-type vest and a cravat would work for his performance and enhance his costume. So, I'll be working on that this weekend, too.

I'm unreasonably excited about both projects. Neither of them has needed or wanted my help with Halloween costumes for several years. I suspect they are each letting me do this because they know I miss them, but I'll take it.

In the last week, both of my kids have gotten me involved in their costumes. So, I was at JoAnn's today texting each of them photos of fabric and letting them tell me what they like.

My daughter is dressing at a vintage/pin-up-inspired "spirit of Halloween." She's taking care of most of it at her end, but I'll be sewing a circle skirt for her out of some Halloween-ish fabric. I hope to have it done over the weekend and in the mail to her on Monday.

My son has been working on his on costume on the weekends he's been home. He's doing something steampunk-ish and had been planning to wear clothes he already owns as a base. However, he's scheduled to perform in his first concert with the musical theatre ensemble at his college the week before Halloween. They are singing some spooky selections, including pieces from Sweeny Todd and Jekyll and Hyde and are supposed to try for a Victorian vibe. It occurred to him that a double-breasted brocade-type vest and a cravat would work for his performance and enhance his costume. So, I'll be working on that this weekend, too.

I'm unreasonably excited about both projects. Neither of them has needed or wanted my help with Halloween costumes for several years. I suspect they are each letting me do this because they know I miss them, but I'll take it.

Have you seen the Steampunk pumpkin tutorials?  We did that last year and the kids can't wait to use them again!  Such a cool project!

I picked my costume finally, too. 

Our bricks and Minifigs store is doing a Halloween event the Saturday before, so DD has decided that she can use most of her Kastraliss costume and be Pythor. She's making an Anacondrai staff. I'm supposed to be Cragger. We found a dinosaur hat at dollar tree that will work for a crocodile, and I'm making a red cape with a blue chi crystal fastener and will carry DD's lego Chima crocodile sword/shield, over brown slacks and a dark green turtleneck (I don't have green slacks, and I'm not going out and buying them just for Halloween. 

My kids are going as Luigi and Sleeping Beauty. I want to put the baby in my Ergo and go as a popcorn vendor and the baby as the popcorn! I saw it on Pinterest and it looked really cute. However, I have not started doing anything at all toward putting the costume together and tomorrow is the first of the events to get dressed up for. I don't know if I'll get around to it tonight or not.