Menu

#Halloweenproblems

mommymilkies

Anyone else gearing up for Halloween?  My kids always request elaborate costumes, so we have to start early.  So far I have a Sally and Oogie-Boogie from Nightmare Before Christmas. Oh, and a young Maleficent (with handmade wings).  I am so happy my youngest picked a store-bought Elsa costume.  :lol:

Now my rant for today, though: Ds wants to go as the Oogie Boogie Man from Nightmare Before Christmas.  But I'm worried people will think he's going as a KKK member.  Sigh.  I tried to explain this to him.  We've agreed to make the costume more green and the grin very large and noticeable with bugs crawling out. 

So anyone else want to share their plans?  Parties? Costumes? 

Ugh we most likely have to go to the city for dd1's costume. She wants to be Elsa or Anna and the stores in our location are a bit slow to get the hippest thing. When there's a rumor that our Walmart is getting a shipment of anything Frozen related, people rush and grab what they can and then sell it for crazy high prices online when the store sells out.

My kids never decide until the last minute. I'm going to go as a Sharknado for our work costume contest. 

That is awesome!!

I dress up every year.  Only one year did I not dress up and I was really sad about it.  I was too busy about kid costumes and forgot my own. :p  You're never too old to dress up!  Halloween is my favorite holiday. :)

I've got a WereCat and a pumpkin.  DS will make his own costume, with some help from DH - they love special effects make up.  He's the WereCat, whatever that is.  DD (3) was planning to be Word Girl, but now wants to be a pumpkin.  I'll buy her costume, because I don't sew.

DS loves Halloween, I'm sure we'll have a party.  :)

Our town is awesome and Halloween is for all ages!

My kids make their own costumes and have gone back and forth on ideas. Some years their costumes are elaborate, sometimes simple.

Back in the summer I thought of knitting a scarf and being the fourth doctor but seeing as I haven't even bought the wool yet...

For us costumes are an area of artistic expression. I wish there were more days dedicated to dressing up!

ds loves Halloween and asked for costumes for Christmas. ;)

I don't think he's decided yet, but he is excited that he can talk about Halloween and check out Halloween books from the library now without people thinking knowing that he's extremely strange.

As always, my son and I will hide upstairs in the dark and watch movies and wait for it to go away.  :)

We used to do that but for the last few years our family tradition is to go out to a restaurant (of the sort that doesn't make a fuss of Hallowe'en, like an Indian or Chinese) for a nice meal, to avoid the trick or treaters.

My 9yo dd wants to be the 11th doctor and my 3you dd wants to be a Weeping Angel from Dr. Who as well. The 11th doctor is easy, the weeping angel not so much. I am starting to buy the supplies this weekend. Does anyone know if you can spray paint feather wings?

You can spray paint those wings. Just do light coats and you will be fine.

My 9yo dd wants to be the 11th doctor and my 3you dd wants to be a Weeping Angel from Dr. Who as well. The 11th doctor is easy, the weeping angel not so much. I am starting to buy the supplies this weekend. Does anyone know if you can spray paint feather wings? 

You can.  We made ours with foam board, though, to keep them immobile.  I think I have pictures in my blog.  I have construction pictures somewhere.  I wouldn't use costume makeup for the skin, though.  Acrylic works much better and gives a cool cracking stone appearance when dry.

ETA: Can you see them here?  This picture wasn't the best, I found the good pictures on the other camera after I uploaded them. :)  

Anyone else gearing up for Halloween?  My kids always request elaborate costumes, so we have to start early.  So far I have a Sally and Oogie-Boogie from Nightmare Before Christmas. Oh, and a young Maleficent (with handmade wings).  I am so happy my youngest picked a store-bought Elsa costume.  :lol:

Now my rant for today, though: Ds wants to go as the Oogie Boogie Man from Nightmare Before Christmas.  But I'm worried people will think he's going as a KKK member.  Sigh.  I tried to explain this to him.  We've agreed to make the costume more green and the grin very large and noticeable with bugs crawling out. 

This is the first thing I thought when I read "Oogie-Boogie".  That's gotta be frustrating.

I've got a rule that buying a prop or two is fine, but the rest must come from things you already have. Mostly because the costumes can be so freaking expensive.  This year, I would like to outlaw face paint due to the mess we had last year.  I don't see it happening though.

You can spray paint those wings. Just do light coats and you will be fine.

Thanks! Everywhere I looked online said "No, don't do it!" and I was wondering if it was because it made them stiff. But in this instance stiff would be good anyway because she needs to look like she is made from stone. 

Thanks! Everywhere I looked online said "No, don't do it!" and I was wondering if it was because it made them stiff. But in this instance stiff would be good anyway because she needs to look like she is made from stone.

That and often people are heavy handed with the spray paint. You can always pick up a cheap pair at the dollar store to practice on.

You can.  We made ours with foam board, though, to keep them immobile.  I think I have pictures in my blog.  I have construction pictures somewhere.  I wouldn't use costume makeup for the skin, though.  Acrylic works much better and gives a cool cracking stone appearance when dry.

ETA: Can you see them here?  This picture wasn't the best, I found the good pictures on the other camera after I uploaded them. :)

Yes! They look amazing! Thank you so much for the acrylic paint tip :)

The boys are thinking about dressing up like ballerinas.

Big, tall, hairy, not delicate and are far from lithe :)

They're going shopping this weekend for pink Chucks.

I love that they're past the "it's embarrassing" stage and are dressing up again.

Teens and their sense of irony are proving to be as amusing as anything on cable.

My youngest gets fixated on things, which usually makes my life hell.

Halloween is one time of year it actually works in my favor :)

We're doing a repeat (again): Charlie Brown's sheet ghost.

$1 from the thrift store four years ago and it'll never be physically outgrown.

Cue the rim shot, and picture me doing a sign of the cross.

We do  a mix of made costumes and bought costumes, although the past few years have been made because my kids don't pick out normal things.

We had a pink unicorn and a Purrloin (Pokemon) last year, a Creeper and Strawberry Shortcake the year before.  I'm pretty sure my son wants to be some kind of Pokemon again this year but I'm not sure about my daughter.  I guess I better ask soon so I can get started making them.

I like costumes that I can start with sweats or normal clothes and build from there, so that they can wear some of it after Halloween.  My son LOVES sweats so he's been wearing his purple Purrloin sweatsuit every chance he gets.

We used to do that!  (We'd drive an hour to Tony Packos in Toledo, in honour of Corporal Klinger!)  Then food sensitivities ruined our fun. 

Oh well.  ;)

We used to do that but for the last few years our family tradition is to go out to a restaurant (of the sort that doesn't make a fuss of Hallowe'en, like an Indian or Chinese) for a nice meal, to avoid the trick or treaters.

The boys are thinking about dressing up like ballerinas.

Big, tall, hairy, not delicate and are far from lithe :)

They're going shopping this weekend for pink Chucks.

I love that they're past the "it's embarrassing" stage and are dressing up again.

Teens and their sense of irony are proving to be as amusing as anything on cable.

My youngest gets fixated on things, which usually makes my life hell.

Halloween is one time of year it actually works in my favor :)

We're doing a repeat (again): Charlie Brown's sheet ghost.

$1 from the thrift store four years ago and it'll never be physically outgrown.

Cue the rim shot, and picture me doing a sign of the cross.

:lol:

Now my rant for today, though: Ds wants to go as the Oogie Boogie Man from Nightmare Before Christmas. But I'm worried people will think he's going as a KKK member. Sigh. I tried to explain this to him. We've agreed to make the costume more green and the grin very large and noticeable with bugs crawling out.

So anyone else want to share their plans? Parties? Costumes?

My entire family wore sheets over our heads and went as ghosts one year, like on Charlie Brown's Halloween. It wasn't until we kept passing people and they'd say with relief, "Oh, they're GHOSTS," that we realized we had a KKK vibe going on. :(

I live near Gettysburg and every few years the KKK meets at Gettysburg for some event, so I suppose people thought it could have happened (that people would be awful enough to dress up as KKK people in our neighborhood.)

No more ghost costumes for us. I loved those costumes.

My entire family wore sheets over our heads and went as ghosts one year, like on Charlie Brown's Halloween. It wasn't until we kept passing people and they'd say with relief, "Oh, they're GHOSTS," that we realized we had a KKK vibe going on. :(

I live near Gettysburg and every few years the KKK meets at Gettysburg for some event, so I suppose people thought it could have happened (that people would be awful enough to dress up as KKK people in our neighborhood.)

Oh man.  I would have thought ghosts first, but yeah I can see how some would think that.  The KKK passed out some pamphlets in our town awhile back so I don't want anyone thinking we agree with them in any way.  

DD is planning to be Kastraliss from Neopets. So far, we have a purple snake print leotard and purple snake print leggings. She plans to make wings using tulle between her body and arms, since Hissi wings are their arms, and add spikes to her head since Kastraliss is basically a purple, winged, desert viper (her terms). She doesn't want to be a real snake because she spends so much time trying to educate people that snake doesn't equal scary, so being a winged snake-like monster from a video game lets her be snakey and still be a little scary.

I suspect most people will assume she's Spyro from Skylanders.

Maybe wear a hat over the ghost costume to cut the KKK vibe, like Cousin Itt?

There's a church here that has "Kids Khoir Kamp" each year-I'd love to know who, in Memphis TN, of all places, thought having kids walking around with t-shirts with that KKK clearly visible was a good idea?

I don't make costumes. My 10 month old is going to be a fairy or a monster, depending on how warm or cool it is that night. My 11 year old plans to go and dress up, not sure about my 13 year old, who has decided a couple years in a row that she's too old but then changes her mind at the last minute.

Our youngest is 14 so we haven't done costumes for a while, but he is the youngest of seven so I have done many, many costumes over the years. I sewed a lot of costumes...Little Red Riding Hood, clown, king, and once I even made a kangaroo! These were reused by younger siblings and also used for dress up play throughout the years. Fun memories.

Maybe wear a hat over the ghost costume to cut the KKK vibe, like Cousin Itt?

There's a church here that has "Kids Khoir Kamp" each year-I'd love to know who, in Memphis TN, of all places, thought having kids walking around with t-shirts with that KKK clearly visible was a good idea?

Oh geez.  Now that's something special. 

Oh, yikes, I hadn't thought of that. I've been pushing for some old fashioned costumes, but I guess I'll shut up about the cheap 'n easy standard ghost costume.

ds has a Snow Trooper (from Star Wars; like a Storm Trooper) costume that he got off of Amazon but big bro thinks looks too KKKish to be worn out of the house. I'm not sure how to explain that to a 6 year old, but I can probably get away with "because it's so hard to get stains out of white and it was expensive." for a bit longer.

He went as a brown Bar-Ba-Loot from the Lorax book when he was 3, but since then it's been movie and TV characters like every other kid born in 2008.

I regret pushing my older son to give up Halloween when he was 14. I was so done but he wasn't. Teenagers are still children and they deserve to have their fun. I don't get all the hatred towards teenaged trick or treaters and always like to have some "big kid" candy to hold back for the older kids.

This year I only have one that I'm putting together - Pink wants to be Pikachu. 'A girl Pikachu.' In her words. I'm already decided on exactly what I'm going to do for that, and it's going to be adorable.

The boys both want typical costumes this year: Link wants to be a Stormtrooper and Astro wants to be Darth Vader. We are actually going to pick those two up at the party store tomorrow, hopefully.

I had an Oogie Boogie a couple of years ago.  I used a burlap type material, not white.  Used yarn to "sew" up the sides and made it nice and fat with pillow fluff.  It was clearly Oogie Boogie, no one thought otherwise. 

This is the easiest year I've had.  A mad scientist which has required some spending - bag, coat, wig - that will all get used again during dress up time.  Add two zombies and done.  Face paint might be the death of me...have to practice how to get that stuff on, but that looks to be the hardest part this year. 

We're also having a party.  The old creepy house with gross food and such.  Should be fun!  I love Halloween.  No one expects anything from me so it's really all about getting creative and having fun!!

Our traditions, besides trick or treating, include watching the 2nd season Halloween episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

This year, DD wants to be Elsa (as the Ice Queen, of course), and DS, as of right now, wants to be a scorpion. Previous to that he wanted to be a shark, Bob the Builder, and a Fireman, so we'll see what he decides when I actually go to buy materials to make the costume--because at that point, it's too late to change his mind again!

Our traditions, besides trick or treating, include watching the 2nd season Halloween episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

This year, DD wants to be Elsa (as the Ice Queen, of course), and DS, as of right now, wants to be a scorpion. Previous to that he wanted to be a shark, Bob the Builder, and a Fireman, so we'll see what he decides when I actually go to buy materials to make the costume--because at that point, it's too late to change his mind again!

I like the scorpion. Of course, in the last couple of years, DD has been an Egyptian Cobra, the hydra, and the Uraeus. We apparently don't do easy costumes around here :).

Ugh we most likely have to go to the city for dd1's costume. She wants to be Elsa or Anna and the stores in our location are a bit slow to get the hippest thing. When there's a rumor that our Walmart is getting a shipment of anything Frozen related, people rush and grab what they can and then sell it for crazy high prices online when the store sells out.

If you are up for making it, McCall's has an awesome pattern kit for both Anna and Elsa dresses in one. I bought it and some gorgeous fabric after dd found THE Elsa dress she wanted in a catalogue from Chasing Fireflies...at a mere $135!

Of course, now she has decided that she wants to go as Aphrodite...

Yeah, it's hard when you have to worry about the mistaken identity factor. I had to explain that to dd when she wanted to be leishmaniasis last year. She would have looked like a giant sperm :lol:. She was not amused.

Not for Halloween per se, be we are going to the Michigan Renaissance Festival on Saturday the 27th and all of the men folk wanted to dress up. I made three pairs of breeches, one wizard's robe, one clergy robe, one chemise for me because they suckered me into it, bought the over dress for myself, and have made two tunics as well. Okay, I have hemming and a few quick things to do to finish them, but the bulk is done. I told the boys that if they attend any Halloween parties, they are going in their Renaissance/Medieval faire because I am not making anything new.

Not for Halloween per se, be we are going to the Michigan Renaissance Festival on Saturday the 27th and all of the men folk wanted to dress up. I made three pairs of breeches, one wizard's robe, one clergy robe, one chemise for me because they suckered me into it, bought the over dress for myself, and have made two tunics as well. Okay, I have hemming and a few quick things to do to finish them, but the bulk is done. I told the boys that if they attend any Halloween parties, they are going in their Renaissance/Medieval faire because I am not making anything new.

This is funny to me because we play in the SCA. Medieval/SCA garb is it's own special category of clothing around here, and would not count for a Halloween costume--especially years we go to an SCA camping event close to Halloween and the kids put on their costumes and go trick or treating around the encampment!

If you are up for making it, McCall's has an awesome pattern kit for both Anna and Elsa dresses in one. I bought it and some gorgeous fabric after dd found THE Elsa dress she wanted in a catalogue from Chasing Fireflies...at a mere $135!

Of course, now she has decided that she wants to go as Aphrodite...

If I had the sewing skills I would try, but I'm not there yet