Menu

egg allergies...questions

ProudGrandma

is it possible to only have a reaction when you eat eggs...like scrambled eggs....but no reaction when you eat cake with egg in it...or cookies etc.

A friend of mine has a 3 year old daughter who, lately, has been throwing up right after eating scrambled eggs, but not after eating a cookie, for example.  She also has have hd hives off and on...but they thought it was because of a medicne she was on for an ear infection..but now we are wondering if that is related or not.

So what do you guys think??

Yes. Scrambled eggs are straight eggs. There's maybe one or two eggs baked into a whole batch of several dozen cookies. She is probably having a smaller, internal reaction like colitis that is invisible to the parents with the baked egg items if she's allergic.

Edited: I'd go to an allergist quickly. Eggs can become anaphylactic at any time, and then the amount in cookies could set off a reaction. It's also an allergy that can be outgrown, but strict avoidance until cleared by testing is usually the recommended course.

I've never been tested for allergies but as a kid if I ate eggs for breakfast I would throw them up but if I ate them for supper I was fine.  We always figured it was something to do with an empty stomach being more sensitive.  To  this day I have a hard time eating early in the morning and have to ease into food.  I still feel quesy if I eat eggs in the morning but I never even try to eat them first thing, it's always after a cup of tea and usually after some meat protein (I can't do carbs for breakfast either).

Yes. My Dh and Dd have this. Anything too "eggy" is a problem. It is a different type of allergic reaction in the mouth, mostly.

Dd doesn't even skin test positive for eggs. So all kinds of baked good are ok. Creme brûlée is not. Quiche and frittata are out. Once she even had a problem with the egg/ricotta mixture in a lasagna. Pancakes or waffles with eggs in the batter are fine with regular recipes.

The allergist just to avoid foods that bother her. However, she already carries an epi pen for other allergies.

Perhaps consulting an allergist and getting skin tested would be the prudent thing to do.

My allergy girl is that way too. She tests as allergic on the scratch test, but she can handle them baked into stuff just fine. With her extremely limited diet, she is allowed to eat anything that doesn't make her sick. Otherwise, she would only be allowed to eat broccoli, mushrooms, coffee, and cinnamon.

Yes, Dd and I both have an egg protein sensitivity. We can eat eggs that are baked with no problems, but cannot have eggs that are lightly cooked (scrambled, french toast can be a problem, etc.). From what I have read, the protein gets killed when baked, but are not cooked long enough on the stovetop to kill the protein. Dd tolerates boiled eggs ok, I hate them, so not sure how I would react. I get horrible stomach aches from scrambled and end up in bed, doubled over, for 2 hours before it passes. Google 'egg protein sensitivity' to find more info.

For your friend, I would recommened an allergist since she actually vomits. That can be a sign of anaphylaxis and she may need further instructions/testing.

Yes, some persons with egg allergy can eat baked goods with eggs. The baking helps break down the proteins. I cannot.

I would be wary eating baked goods too unless allergist gives the okay, repeated exposure can increase sensitivity to an allergen. It doesn't always but did for me.

Agreeing with a previous poster about seeing an allergist if vomiting is occurring. That is one possible sign of anaphalaxis, which can affect any body system not just the respiratory system.

That was totally me for years and years.  I could eat cake and cookies but not custard or mayonnaise or eggs-for-breakfast.  Interestingly, I could eat them ALL when I was preggers.  

I read somewhere that it had something to do with the presence of soda and/or the heat at which the eggs were cooked.  May be hoo-ey for all I know.  

Now I can't eat them under any circumstances.  Alas.  

interesting...

how importatnt is it that she get an offical diagnois?

Life or death important.  The allergy can worsen or the reaction could worsen.  She should be tested and probably have an epi-pen.  IMO, the best hope for the child to outgrow the allergy is 100% avoidance, even of foods that don't cause reactions.  (My DS has gotten 3 allergens back into his diet this way.)

The first step to challenging an egg allergy is usually to try it in baked goods. If they do Ok there then egg whites, then the whole egg. (I've had two with egg intolerances that they have outgrown).

That's interesting. I always assumed it was the whites (protein) that was the biggest allergen.

My daughter was allergic as a toddler but outgrew any reactions. She's fine now but used to get hives.

interesting...

how importatnt is it that she get an offical diagnois?

I wouldn't say it's the diagnosis that's important in and of itself, it's clarifying (which would avoid eliminating from the diet a food that one is not allergic to), getting advice, and medicine recommendations and prescriptions.

My nephew developed an egg allergy out of nowhere. I was watching him one day and fed him scrambled eggs (like I did many mornings). Within minutes he had full body hives, watery eyes and his tounge was swelling. It was terrifying. Definitely have an allergist do testing and avoid everything with eggs.