Menu

The dreaded group project

Seasider

I'm sorry. Is it for a class you're taking? I hate it when some people in the group try to slide through on the efforts of others. That's what often seems to happen.

It's for a class. This group is just... scattered? Much talk but no direction? I really really really do not want to be the one to have to force order and decision making and forward progress, but I see that in my future. I hate that. If everyone were just calm and responsible and open minded and would just check their darn emails in a timely fashion, it would be fine. But so far it's not falling into "fine" territory. Blech.

The group project will get done well if you step up, organize it, and do it according to your high standards.

Otherwise, it will be a source of disappointment, resentment, and mediocre results.

At least, that's how it has been and is with any group project in my life. It sucks to be the person with the highest standards in a group... but such is life.

If you find a good group, try to stick with them. I found non-traditional students and International Students usually pulled their weight on a group project, and often the same people were in multiple classes in a major, so once we had a group that worked well, we often would choose to work together on the next project. Conversely, there were a few groups of friends who honestly never seemed to settle down and work-but, in the next class, would still choose to work together. Not a good choice.

The group project will get done well if you step up, organize it, and do it according to your high standards.

Otherwise, it will be a source of disappointment, resentment, and mediocre results.

At least, that's how it has been and is with any group project in my life. It sucks to be the person with the highest standards in a group... but such is life.

Yeah. But I have come to the point of asking myself, why does it always have to be ME? I'm starting to think I am a control freak or something. Seriously, are there such a small percentage of students who pay attention to time deadlines, communication and details?

I just don't wanna. But I probably will.

Take charge. That's what I do and my group projects have always been awesome (pat myself on the back.) Just do it. You'll be happy with your grade and with the knowledge that you're Better Than Everyone Else. Ok, just kidding about that. Sort of. Yes, yes, I'm kidding!!!

What is JAWM shorthand for?

My DH has a group project for a class he is taking this semester.  His group appears not to be too conscientious or engaged, so he is just treating the project as his solo project, knowing full well that the lazy ones in the group will be more than happy to take credit for his work rather than make a stink that they aren't included.  But he says he knows he wouldn't trust them with his grade or the details of the project anyway, and since he prefers solo projects, he said he's just resigned to treating it as such.  He'll reap the knowledge and grade benefit, so he'd just rather.

But then you get the grade they deserve too unless you have an enlightened teacher.

In one of my classes, the prof gave each group member a sheet to assess the work level and quality of the partners. So, in addition to the normal grading, she compared what each group member said about how useful/worthless the other members had been. It was probably the closest to fair that any group project grade could be.

In one of my classes, the prof gave each group member a sheet to assess the work level and quality of the partners. So, in addition to the normal grading, she compared what each group member said about how useful/worthless the other members had been. It was probably the closest to fair that any group project grade could be.

Dd has this for a group project last year.

Ds has had a ton of group projects as a computer science major, but there is a way for the profs to see which students added which lines of code.

The instructor did this in one of my classes but didn't tell us peer reviews would be included in the grade until a day or two before the project was due. Another girl and I were almost finished with the project we'd worked on for several weeks when our absent partner who had been "too busy" before to help suddenly had all the time in the world to meet. Too late. His schmoozing and offer to buy me a beer didn't stop me from sharing exactly how much he contributed to the project.