Menu

Benedict Cumberbatch poses as Mr. Darcy? Oh yes.

zoobie

He recreated the Colin Firth Mr. Darcy lake scene for a charity fundraiser ad. I prefer Colin, but this will do...

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/news/benedict-cumberbatch-recreates-colin-firths-mr-darcy-for-charity-fundraising-campaign-9735838.html

(One of the most useful things I've seen on FB in a long, long time.)

I think I need to watch it again to critique it more closely. Thank goodness it's on the DVR!

Just YouTube Colin firth lake scene. You should find all whole scene. He was even on the tonight show talking to jimmy fallon about how that scene never happened but everyone seems to remember it happening.

What am I missing?  I see him walk down to the water, dive in, an underwater shot, then it cuts away from him to the woman (sorry can't remember her name at the moment) and then shows him fully clothed and barely even damp, walking along.

What am I missing? I see him walk down to the water, dive in, an underwater shot, then it cuts away from him to the woman (sorry can't remember her name at the moment) and then shows him fully clothed and barely even damp, walking along.

I think that's the point. The scene recreated for charity was never actually created in the first place!

What am I missing? I see him walk down to the water, dive in, an underwater shot, then it cuts away from him to the woman (sorry can't remember her name at the moment) and then shows him fully clothed and barely even damp, walking along.

A scene with him actually in the water standing there, like cumberbatch is in his photo, never actually occurs although many fans think it does. Even to the point where there is a colin firth statue in a lake in London in honor of him emerging from the water in that scene. I assumed OP also believed he actually does.

You are so right! I guess we've all been adding it in our heads. (I know I added LOTS of other things...) The slightly scary statue in London didn't help  :laugh:

0.55 is close though. He has just stomped out of the lake & buttoned his wet shirt :)  There was a collective hallucination of what it looked like seconds before....

oh gad, that scene at the railway station. I think I wore out the replay button on the dvd remote on that one.

Luv him as Lucas North in Spooks too.

Haha, DH caught me watching that scene over and over, he's gives me this strange look, and asks "What ARE you doing?" I just grinned sheepishly. Best movie scene ever!

I haven't seen Spooks, off to search...

A scene with him actually in the water standing there, like cumberbatch is in his photo, never actually occurs although many fans think it does. Even to the point where there is a colin firth statue in a lake in London in honor of him emerging from the water in that scene. I assumed OP also believed he actually does.

Yep. And the statue is hilarious and mildly terrifying:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/mr-darcy-giant-colin-firth-statue-in-londons-hyde-park-recreates-pride-and-prejudice-scene-8695490.html

Goodness!  The statue looks ready to grab the poor swimmer.  Why on earth did they decide to make it so big?

Happens exactly like that in my head...

I just thought it was a nice picture and intended this to be a frivolous thread. I didn't realize it would be controversial. I remember Colin standing all wet and embarrassed trying to be proper. I didn't parse it out frame by frame before posting for accuracy.

I just thought it was a nice picture and intended this to be a frivolous thread. I didn't realize it would be controversial. I remember Colin standing all wet and embarrassed trying to be proper. I didn't parse it out frame by frame before posting for accuracy.

No controversy intended! It is a nice picture! Just felt the need to point it out because of the hilarity behind this phantom scene and what people have done because they think it exists.

What a clever social experiment you have conducted. I think you may now conclude that "story real" can be just as important to people as "true and factual real." I look forward to reading further studies where you determine whether these results can be repeated without involving a man in a wet shirt.

Oh Rosie, there's no point in repeating the experiment without a man in a wet shirt! And yes, that is my scientific opinion (I'd write it in scientific terms, but I'm too busy fighting off the urge to follow that North and South link). Clearly the only sensible study would be one using Richard Armitage in the same scene.

D

What a clever social experiment you have conducted. I think you may now conclude that "story real" can be just as important to people as "true and factual real." I look forward to reading further studies where you determine whether these results can be repeated without involving a man in a wet shirt.

I'm guessing no. But I think you could get men to recall a scene with lots of cleavage or a very short skirt... ;)

No, no. We need further studies featuring different men in wet shirts. Just to see if, um....accuracy is equally important across actors. Or something.

Cat

Ok, well I'm more likely to follow a link to a scary looking statue of Colin Firth than Richard Armitage, if that data helps anyone's research. Far be it from me to stand in the way of education.

Ha!

Women in wet shirts then? I don't mean to be sexist, but that seems more drunk spring break rather than classic literature... ;)

I also prefer Colin Firth

a close tie with Richard Armitage as John Thornton in North South

http://emspeaks.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/north-and-south-north-and-south-32024163-1280-720.jpg

colin firth for the win . . .

I was recently rewatching the last star trek movie.  all I could think of was how much I preferred Ricado Montalban's Kahn. . . .

I really liked Richard Armitage as Guy of Gisborne in Robin Hood too. 

Yes, he was lovely but my kids couldn't forgive them for that egregious plot twist in season 1 & wouldn't watch the rest.

We've since sort of got used to the new tv style of killing of major characters. Watching any modern brit drama etc you have to now be prepared for anyone to die. There used to be more of a social contract that major characters weren't likely to die. Now they pop off like flies.

To an extent - & I say this as a writer who does this - it's lazy writing. Plot stalling? Time to kill someone. Want to make it really count? Make it someone big. Though in my genre I can't actually kill of the hero & heroine & even supporting chara's are still hard to kill off in genre fiction. Genre TV though, esp from the UK, seems to have broken out of that restriction.