Menu

A couple of tidbits from an Admissions Office

Kareni

My daughter who's home briefly for a time from South Korea went for a few days to visit friends at  her alma mater.  (While I won't name the college, it's one of the Seven Sisters.)  One of her friends who just graduated is working for a year at the Admissions Office.  This friend is a first reader of applications, conducts tours and information sessions, interviews prospective students, and more.  My daughter shared a couple of tidbits that I found interesting.

First, those who write thank you letters after taking a guided tour and attending an information session (these are a package deal) or being interviewed are given a point towards admission.

Second, those students who are inattentive during the tour (by wearing head phones or ear buds, for example) lose a point.  (I know that discussions often arise about what a student should wear during tours; however, my daughter said that topic didn't come up.)

Regards,

Kareni

we did an info session and tour at UVA recently. The admissions officer made a point of saying visiting has no bearing on admission. The tour guide was friendly, but she didn't get all our names so it's very doubtful any notes were made after the tour. Perhaps this is due to the size of the university and size of the application pool.

We've been on many tours in this state. Even though most are friendly, none of the guides seem to know enough about tour participants to make notes. Some schools are clearly tracking our participation because we've been getting continuous emails from a couple of schools. Some schools have even said they like to see that a student has visited as a way of demonstrating interest.

Thank you notes are a big deal, and it's a really good idea to get into the habit of writing them, and this, writing to the college admission peeps, is good practice!  At my older son's college graduation, I spoke with several of his professors, many of whom had written recommendation letters for the Peace Corps, and they all mentioned how thoughtful and considerate he'd been, and that getting thank you notes was very rare and delightful.  Points or no points, it's a good idea to write them!