Menu

Quality (and appropriate) literature for a 6yo with a higher reading level?

DD is 6.5 and really enjoys reading. Here is the list of books she's read in the past year:

• Flat Stanley
  • Kirsten's Surprise (American GIrl)
  • Little House in the Big Woods
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (didn't finish)
  • In Aunt Lucy's Kitchen
  • Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
  • Pippi Longstocking
  • The Children of Noisy Village
  • The Shoeshine Girl
  • The Wizard of Oz

It seems as though many of the more modern books that are a good reading level for her (the Clementine books come to mind) are written for older children, with themes such as boyfriends, divorce, etc. I'm looking for some more age-appropriate books she might enjoy. Any recommendations?

That's why we read a lot of history at that age.  Anything non-fiction will be good.  We used the TruthQuest guides to get books, but also VP, SL, etc.  VP's lit selections are terrific.  Anything SL uses as a read-aloud will make a terrific reader for an advanced reader.  For instance one of their cores for that age uses the Dr. Doolittle books, Mary Poppins, Follow My Leader, etc. for read alouds.  My dd usually listened to them read by me and then went ahead and read them herself.   :)

Are you looking for more modern books? We have gone the opposite direction for many of the reasons you mentioned - the themes bug us and oftentimes I find the writing is subpar and overly simplistic.

Does she like animal books? My daughter LOVED Arthur Scott Bailey and he has two dozen or so books he has written that she could chomp through. Solid grammar and sentence consisting, some slightly challenging vocabulary, squeaky clean content :)

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/1842

You may also consider something like the Bobbsey Twins or Five Little Peppers. It is highly individual.

Not necessarily modern, just looking for ideas. Thanks! Our LA program uses Five Little Peppers later this year but I'll check out Bobbsey Twins.

My daughter is a bit younger, but I've found that I find better choices when I do searches for "read alouds for ____ year olds (or grade)". The books in the read aloud lists are written at a higher level because the expectation is for the parent to read them, but with content appropriate for the younger crowd.

Some possibilities might include books by Beverly Cleary, Judy Blume, Roald Dahl, E.B. White, and Frances Hodgson Burnett. There are also a good number of longer, gorgeously illustrated picture books for classic fairy tales and folk tales.