Menu

1st grader finishing OPGTR - what next?

lanabug

My 1st grader will finish OPGTR next week. She is a very fluent reader, although she has a tendency to skip words because her eyes are moving faster than her mouth can speak the words.

I need some sort of schoolwork to replace the time we spent on phonics lessons.  She already flies through her schoolwork and causes umpteen distractions for her sister when she finishes.  

Any suggestions on what to do next or what seatwork I could give her?  Wordly Wise, perhaps?

Lana

I'm planning to do R & S Bible and Nature Series after finishing OPGTR.  Not the oral part, but the read the reader then do the worksheets part.  Should be 95% independent. 

https://www.milestonebooks.com/item/1-112--/?list=Rod_and_Staff_Bible_Nurture_and_Reader_Series

Maybe  EIW grade 1 also.

Following to see what others suggest.

The multisyllable work on my page, also my nonsense word game to help stop the guessing habits.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/WellTaughtPhonicsStudent.html

If she needs more nonsense words, I like James Williams' We All Can Read, I would just get the upper level book and write the words on a white board if they are too small, the phonics and reading level will be a better fit than the 2nd grade and below version.

http://weallcanread.com/phonics-program-core-book.html

Thanks for the links, ladies!  I gave both my girls the reading-level test on your page, Elizabeth, and found a few gaps that we will review and solidify her understanding of the phonics rule. I'm also planning to look through the crash-course, I think that might work for us very well!

Lana

We started Wordly Wise and I think it's great; especially the early books, A, B, and C before jumping into Wordly Wise 3000. My boys are finishing up OPGTR-I think we have 15 more lessons to go, but it's review for them. I started Wordly Wise A near the end of last year, and purchased B, C, and 3000 2nd grade. Looking ahead in the books, I prefer having the gradual progression with the letter books before starting the 2nd grade book. We do it completely orally, though the boys do look at and read the words and definitions, too. I just do the writing and let them take turns telling me the answers. We do review of the word list and one activity per day, 3 or 4 days a week. It takes 10 minutes or less and it's our favorite way to start with school. My 5 year old is a big Super Why fan, so we sing the Vocabulary ditty before we start. :)

TWTM recommends after OPGTR to start doing vocabulary or word root study. But I felt that finishing at a younger age than the end of 4th grade, (which is what OPGTR takes you to) that they could wait a year before starting root study. It does seem weird; after there's such a big deal to teach them to read to be "done"/not be working out of a book. Also, to cement the phonic rules we're using the rule based All About Spelling. So they'll still be getting good practice with that, even after being done with OPGTR.