Menu

Speed reading software

A common and easy way to increase speed is to have the child get an audio narration and increase the play speed gradually overtime while following along in the book. Our library started carrying playaways with an speed play feature and sometimes the actual book is included. Several media players like windows media player have this feature so you could use free librovox recordings to try this technique. I would use this technique on a book she normally would enjoy. Have her increase the speed as fast as she is comfortable and able to follow along. This is the easiest method to start the process of increasing reading speed. I use the speed play feature myself to plow through lectures.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what speed reading software actually does but I use Spreeder quite often. You can copy and paste some text into it, set it for a specific number of words per minute and it only shows 1-3 words at a time at the pace you're trying to read. It really forces you to concentrate 100% but I'm not sure whether she would lose a lot of comprehension if she genuinely can't read at a faster pace.