Menu

songs for a memorial?????

MooCow

Any specifics? Christian? Secular? 

This is a popular memorial song (this is only one of many versions):

Is this for an older person or younger person? 

For memorials of younger people, we have gone through their iTunes account on their computer and looked for hymnals or Christian songs or songs appropriate for a memorial. You can sort them by most played, which helps you know what songs they liked.

This is another one that I've heard several times:

(instrumental version)

I think ideally it's personal. When a family member who was in a band died, they played a Bob Dylan song at his memorial. It was very touching. He would have loved it (in fact, he planned it, but not everyone has that chance). There were also hymns that were personal to him, but I think playing a song important to the person, even if it's not religious in nature, can be good.

I think playing a song important to the person, even if it's not religious in nature, can be good.

I agree with this. 

ETA: Honestly, I wish more people would think about this. After my youngest sister passed away and the family planned her funeral, my other sisters, cousins and I all picked our own songs and poems and such, typed them up and sent the file to someone else, just in case. 

It's for my Moms. I am for sure playing Puff the Magic Dragon, she made me promise a long, long time ago. I think The Rose, that's another she loved. And this is so corny, but Momma always loved letting go of balloons and watching them fly off in the sky, so I'll play I'll fly away to that.

I still can't believe She's gone. One week ago, She was in CCU, and I came back and stayed late. We had a good talk, and I took selfies of us. I miss her so much.

It's for my Moms. I am for sure playing Puff the Magic Dragon, she made me promise a long, long time ago. I think The Rose, that's another she loved. And this is so corny, but Momma always loved letting go of balloons and watching them fly off in the sky, so I'll play I'll fly away to that.

I still can't believe She's gone. One week ago, She was in CCU, and I came back and stayed late. We had a good talk, and I took selfies of us. I miss her so much.

I am so sorry. :grouphug: :grouphug:

At my mom's, we had 3 songs:

It is Well With My Soul (congregational)

In My Life (orig. by the Beatles, sung at the memorial by a close friend of my brother, who knew my mom well; she loved the Beatles. :))

I Have Decided to Follow Jesus (by her.  Yeah, she sang at her own memorial - it was perfect.  They played a recording they had done of it just the week before.  She lived her life playing the piano and singing and loving to perform.)

I'm so sorry for your loss.  At Steven's funeral, my sil sang Amazing Grace, the children and I sang Psalm 121 (Steven's favorite Psalm), and we played It Won't Be Long by the Wissmann Family.