Menu

Which geometric solids manipulatives?

Sarah0000

There are SO many to choose from, and I've only looked on Amazon. They have sets that open up and lay flat to refold, sets where the base can be removed, solid wood sets, see through sets, sets that can be filled up to measure volume, etc. I want a set that can be useful in later grades too, even though in PreK I would just use them for identification. What else are geometric solids particularly useful for besides basic shape identification? Plus these sets have different shapes in them. Which shapes would you deem most necessary?

Oh? I've read on many a website that they are a favorite math manipulative. I was wondering how fun, and therefore how used, they'd actually be. We don't follow lessons so if they won't be used in free play, they just won't be used.

I suppose I could just make some paper ones for now.

Or borrow some from the teacher resource lab of your local community college.  Our local cc resource lab allows homeschoolers to check out stuff, and they have all sorts of neat things.  I'm just saying *we* never needed them beyond that one lesson in K5 and they were never specified in ANY of the curricula I've used beyond that.  If you just want 'em for fun, go for it.  Or buy measuring cups and a funnel.  Or buy cool math counters.  Personally, I'd spend the money on math counters, an abacus, c-rods, something you'll use a lot.  But if those shapes call to you, get 'em.  That's the pleasure of homeschooling, to get to buy things that call to you.  :)

I do have an abacus, counters, and c rods. DS just started playing some of the RS games so he uses the abacus for that, otherwise he mostly likes the c rods for free play. I think I'll wait on the shapes until there would be something else to do with them. Thanks everyone!

We have a set of geometric solids, but use toys and household items far more often.

A set of wooden building blocks yields cubes, cuboids, and cylinders.  Some sets include cones and pyramids. A ball is sphere.  I have often wished I had not gotten rid of the alphabet blocks, they would have been perfect for math assignments involving shapes made from stacked cubes.