Menu

How good is the public library system in Anchorage?

LisaD

First I apologize if this doesn't fit this board's topic...I hope I posted on the right one!

We are trying to relocate to AK, specifically the Anchorage/Palmer area. Do any of you who live there use your public library extensively? How good is it?

Here is my point of reference: I'm in Northern California. Our county library has multiple branches throughout the area. Under my account on the website, I can search the inventory of all the branches and make inter library requests. I can create lists for myself on the website of books I want to borrow and then go in as I need them to request them. I also have an app for my phone and iPad for the library. There is Also an app called overdrive that is connected to our library system and is all audio, so I can search and make requests for audio files to download to my devices. I rely heavily on our library system for most of the books I use for history and literature as well as any literature books to supplement science and math. I realize what a blessing this availability Has been, but I want to know what to expect in a new location.

Thanks for any help! :)

Lisa

The library in Palmer (which is the same system for Wasilla, and entire Valley) is terrible. I can only put three books on hold at once and the overdue fees are killer. There is certainly no way to make lists on the library website. I have been disappointed! And I have been too afraid to even attempt inter-library loan, LOL, but I'm not kidding.

We lived in Anchorage some years ago and I didn't have any issues with the library, but that was pre-homeschooling. I did have a homeschooling friend who seemed happy with the library there. One options would be to pay for a card for the Anchorage library, and if you decide to go through a charter school for homeschooling, you will get approx. $2000 per year per kid, which you can use to buy books.

Meh. It's not bad but it's not the best I've used. There is an inter library loan. Anything out of the system has a charge attached. Once the loan books arrive at the library, you have 7 days to pick up or you get charged a return fee.

I've found they don't have a lot of books suggested in most of the curriculum I want to use. I usually end up ordering from Amazon.  But, in terms of new releases, it's actually pretty good. I can usually find new releases even if it takes a few weeks to get it.

Videos are iffy. Some libraries have part of a collection. Other libraries have others.  

Over all, it's average.

I have found it easy to use.  You can reserve books from other libraries in the state, which includes university libraries which can be helpful for some things.  And its without charge.  The reserve system is nice as you have 7 days to pick them up.  I don't know how it works in the Palmer area though.  

I have found it easy to use.  You can reserve books from other libraries in the state, which includes university libraries which can be helpful for some things.  And its without charge.  The reserve system is nice as you have 7 days to pick them up.  I don't know how it works in the Palmer area though.  

Are you sure? This must be new because last year when I requested a book from out of the system, it cost $3.00.

The selection is okay. It isn't like these small town ones without much books but it doesn't have just about anything you would want either. I am going to be signing up for ILL soon. They can get books from anywhere and I was told there wasn't a charge anymore. They said they used to charge $3 but it is free now. I haven't started using it yet so I can't confirm it is free. I know they also have E-books but I don't use that so I am not sure. You can renew, search the books and put things on hold online and check availability in many state libraries but I am not sure if there is an app.

I have always had very positive experiences with the Palmer library.  If they do not have a book that I would like I simply request that they order it. I do not abuse this privilege but I have never been turned down for a request. I have a library card and so do each of my sons. We have used the inter-library loan feature on all of our cards for years--without issues and without charges.  If you would like to have an Anchorage library card you may have one for free. Ask the librarians at the Palmer library and they will tell you precisely how to obtain one at no charge. This option is a recent offering. We use ListenAlaska all the time--both e-books and audio books. Both of my sons know how to search, request, and download copies onto their devices. ListenAlaska is a fantastic service and it's easy to use.

I also have a library card from  Mat-Su College; this allows me to inter-library loan from the University system. Moreover, if you choose to enroll through a home school program within the Mat-Su school district you also have inter-library privileges through the school district. So, to sum up, you will have a few cards by the time you set up, but you will have lots of options. Always ask the librarians because their offerings change constantly.

I didn't realize there were this many Valley homeschoolers on WTM! I agree with the PP about the Mat-Su Library Network online system being crummy. 3 holds? No lists? At least you can search for ISBN. I've had things transferred from Trapper Creek & Willow many times to the Palmer library and it takes about a week. The selection of audiobooks is decent. I do use Listen Alaska via Overdrive for ebooks and (once in a while) audio. Their catalog is actually pretty good as far as I can tell.