Menu

Follow-up re Pennsylvania's milk labeling regulations...

Quick FYI...In a discussion on the previous board, MargaretWV (not sure if she's registered here yet) noted that as of January 1, 2008, Pennsylvania no longer allows rBST/rBGH (synthetic hormone)-free milk to be labeled accordingly. There was a big outcry against the new regulation, such that it's already been modified ~ essentially reversed. You can read a bit more at http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/18/business/18milk.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=rBST&oref=slogin.

I wonder if it also got reversed. When we lived in CA I never felt too bad about drinking non- organic because it was so easy to at least find milk w/o hormones in it. Of course, I still new organic was be best, but at least there was a better option than regular. Any idea, Colleen, if Ohio will follow suit and reverse it too? I am buying either Organic (OV when I can get it) or I've started getting some local milk too. I feel much better about those choices, however, every once and a while, I still run out and there is no option in my little town for anything but regular milk. I was happy to see that OH was going rBST free, but now maybe not. Maybe me thinks too much about milk. ;)

Ohio conducted some hearings on this issue (whether or not to allow labeling of rBGH-free milk) late last year. Apparently it was quite the heated debate, but I've not heard whether a decision has been made. I imagine PA's reversal will have an effect on the Ohio outcome.

Thinking too much about milk? Pish posh!;) One can never think too much about food!