Menu

What's with the ads?

Susan Wise Bauer

ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL. ALL USERS PLEASE READ

What should be done about avatars of people no longer posting that are clearly licensed characters or otherwise copyright violations? Reporting members feels weird, especially after all the discussion about trigger-happy overreporters.

I don't see a problem in reporting that.  It's sad, but necessary.  Not exactly equivalent to someone reporting a poster because they don't return their shopping cart. ;)

• Like 6

Thank goodness, my avatar is my very own photo, taken at Dumbarton Oaks. I will use justaque's system and go through everything as soon as I get to a real computer. So sorry, SWB, for whatever is going on.

ETA went back through all my content, but it ended at page 40, November 2013. I put in a liilte note that the pix had been removed 9/11/2014 as per SWB request.

• Like 2

I went back as far as I could editing, and I reported what I couldn't edit. 

I am so sorry you have to deal with this. 

I would post you a picture of the "Winebulance" but I had to delete that one, too. :D

According to this article the photo should also be public domain:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bernard-starr/museum-paintings-copyright_b_1867076.html

ETA it's a long discussion but this part is I think relevant:

"Starr: So what would you advise those who are hesitant to use photos of works that are in the public domain?

Sprigman: They should know that under the law if the image is "slavish," a mere reproduction, a plain unadorned exact image, they can use it and do not have to pay anyone a licensing fee."

Especially given that the image is not being used to bring in profit of any kind, the chances of whoever took the photo tracking it down and trying to sue are extremely remote.

Thank you!

I just want to be as cautious as possible because I love SWB a lot more than my avatar. 

• Like 13

Susan, I'm sorry that you're having to deal with this. 

I've gone back through my posts to 2008 and have not found any pictures.

This thread raises a question in my mind:  why this forum? why now? Granted--I'm not privy to all the issues, nor do I pretend to understand all of the ramifications. However, on most of the social media websites, such as Twitter and Facebook, for example, posters frequently access images from all over the internet--for profile pictures, for jokes, and for random posts. Are these websites ever called into question? 

I'll be able to answer this question as soon as the current situation is resolved...don't worry, I will update as soon as I'm able.

And to those of you who've offered to donate: Thanks. If it comes to that, you may end up seeing an optional donation button just to help us meet the costs of this specific situation. Only if necessary.

Onward, forward...

SWB

I'll be able to answer this question as soon as the current situation is resolved...don't worry, I will update as soon as I'm able.

And to those of you who've offered to donate: Thanks. If it comes to that, you may end up seeing an optional donation button just to help us meet the costs of this specific situation. Only if necessary.

Onward, forward...

SWB

We really do appreciate what you do in making this forum available to us  :001_wub:

And I noticed you are now able to "like" posts  :thumbup1:  :thumbup1:  :thumbup1:  Too bad we can't "like" yours :)

• Like 25

Onward, forward...

SWB

Thank you, Susan. This is certainly something I will pay attention to in the future--for this forum and for others. I would also be happy to donate, should it come to that.

• Like 4

You're more likely to be right. I just copied what the google page that came up told me.

I think you did something I don't know how to do--can you somehow tell google to find a match for an image? 

I just searcher for "joan of arc praying" or something similar on the image search, but if you can get google to match for you that would be fun to play around with.

I am sorry, Susan. I have been a prolific image poster. Am working on deleting....

Also, I have the same question that has been posted -- some things are showing up when I search for my posts, but then when I click the link, a message says the thread cannot be found. So are the images still there or not? (I can see them in my search window.)

• Like 2

I think you did something I don't know how to do--can you somehow tell google to find a match for an image? 

I just searcher for "joan of arc praying" or something similar on the image search, but if you can get google to match for you that would be fun to play around with.

Yep. :) https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/1325808?hl=en

• Like 1

I haven't ever attached anything but I scanned thru and found a few celeb pics to report.

Hopefully this is resolved quickly, but let us know if there is anything else we can do to help. Sorry this is happening! And as always, thanks for keeping this site running. The educational advice (not to mention moral support) I get is invaluable!

We could have different levels of supporters

For 10$ you could be a 'cupcake'

For 15$ a 'shopping cart'

'hot guy in kilt' will cost you 25$

'Hey Girl' is 40$

'Benedict Cumberbatch expert' is 50

'David Tennant is my future second ex husband' is a 75$ level of support

Etc, etc

• Like 36

I am sorry, Susan. I have been a prolific image poster. Am working on deleting....

Also, I have the same question that has been posted -- some things are showing up when I search for my posts, but then when I click the link, a message says the thread cannot be found. So are the images still there or not? (I can see them in my search window.)

I think there's a delay between deleting the thread and the actual photo being cleaned out of the archive. If the thread can't be found, we're safe. I'll run this by OtherJohn to check on the photo issue.

SWB

So does Negin have to delete all the images of her birthday cakes on the birthday threads?

This is my question also. 

Susan, I'm so very sorry for all this. I'm starting to go through all my posts. It's not easy and will take time. Again, so very sorry. 

Well, here's a news flash: I don't want to be doing this either. I hate it.

Nor is it at all fair that I'm having to deal with a current situation which is frightening, potentially very expensive, and not at all my fault. And it is ridiculous that I'm being threatened.

Guess what? I am. And the posters on this board won't be paying for it. I will.

So I respectfully disagree.

And I am extremely grateful to those of you who have taken the time, however "ridiculous" and "unfair," to report and help out.

SWB

There is no "like" button for your posts, but that would be inadequate anyway.

:001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub: :001_wub:

And the tip jar/donation is a great idea.  There is one blog that I read regularly and I happily make a small monthly donation. 

I don't post a huge amount here, but I truly cannot imagine homeschooling without this resource. I would gratefully donate on a monthly basis to keep this site available.  Gratias tibi ago, SWB!!!

• Like 11

It doesn't look like I had any pictures up here, except for my profile picture, which I've deleted. 

I'm sorry you're dealing with this, Susan. I'd be happy to donate as well, if it becomes necessary.

• Like 4

How do I remove the picture for my OneNote Planner social group? I tried clicking on the picture and nothing happens. I believe I got that from Microsoft Office website. 

'Hey Girl' is 40$

Etc, etc

Fifty dollars to declare my BC Expert status to the world??? That's a bargain!!

• Like 1

Google says it's Joan of Arc in prayer by Herman Stilke, painted in the 1800's so no copyright.

The painting is under coprright, but the photograph of the painting probably is.

...this is what grounded my poetry anthology - I made an anthology of poems to memorize and paired each poem with a work of art.

To publish that, I'd need to pay the rights holders for each image unless I had taken them myself.

• Like 1

Yes. Under image search there's a camera icon that lets you drag an image over, enter a url, or upload an image and then search for matches.

• Like 1

The painting is under coprright, but the photograph of the painting probably is.

...this is what grounded my poetry anthology - I made an anthology of poems to memorize and paired each poem with a work of art.

To publish that, I'd need to pay the rights holders for each image unless I had taken them myself.

Doesn't Bridgeman v Corel say copyright doesn't apply? IANAL....

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgeman_Art_Library_v._Corel_Corp.

• Like 2

Susan, is there a way to delete all of a user's posts prior to a certain point? For example, could I request that you just delete all my posts from 2012 & previously? (I'd like to keep 2013 & 2014 & am in the process of cleaning them of any images.)

• Like 3

Is there a way to put a sticky that tells us exactly how to search our threads for photos?  IOW, surely there is a quicker way to do that than just clicking on every post we've ever made.  And the other question is how far back do we go?  Is this just the new board (the current one)?  Do we need to Google other posts we've made on the old forums?

I'm sure these have been answered, but since I don't have time right now to wade through 7 pages of responses, perhaps a sticky with instructions would be helpful.

Doesn't Bridgeman v Corel say copyright doesn't apply? IANAL....

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgeman_Art_Library_v._Corel_Corp.

Oooh!

I was working on my anthology before or concurrently with this ruling, so my information could well be outdated.

It certainly seems a strong justification for letting such images be here on the site, but you've also gotten my hopes up about my little anthology....

It is rare that life rewards me for being sick and frittering time on the internet. Thank you,darling!

• Like 5

Onward, forward...

SWB

I was only able to go back to November 2013, page 40 on My Content, member only. How do I access older posts?

My old avatar is all over zazzle and cafe press, so it is probably okay but I'm not taking any chances.

Just. So. Not. Worth. It.

Susan, I am so sorry about this.

Quotes question-- If I quoted something in a post but attributed the quote to its source, not just a link, can those posts remain? Is it possible to delete all old posts?  

SWB, Sorry for all the hassle. What a pain.

'Hey Girl' is 40$

Etc, etc

Well, there goes the $$ for this year's Latin books! Sign me up for DT level! :D

• Like 4

The site where I got my avatar specifically says they are allowed for use on message boards, so I think I'm okay, right? I posted the site on my profile. Also, it's not something I downloaded and re-uploaded; it's linked.

I don't believe I've ever posted any photos -- certainly none of celebrities.

A pox on those who are making SWB's life miserable! I, too, would be happy to contribute if it comes to that! Let's hope it doesn't!

• Like 9

I have had periods when I didn't visit the forum for weeks or even months;

Whoa!  And you survived?  I had no idea that was possible.  I never get past the withdrawal symptoms when I try just a day away.  I've even gotten addicted enough that I hop on at school when I don't have a class with me (and even between classes sometimes).  I guess my addiction level is strong.  I don't fight it any longer.

Susan, if this does turn out to be very expensive for you, would you please post and allow the board members to help out? I'm sure many of us would make a donation.

Count me in - Hive Junkie here - even though my youngest started college this fall.

Onward, forward...

SWB

LIKE!

'Hey Girl' is 40$

Etc, etc

And junkie status will cost us???

• Like 11

Susan, is there a way to delete all of a user's posts prior to a certain point? For example, could I request that you just delete all my posts from 2012 & previously? (I'd like to keep 2013 & 2014 & am in the process of cleaning them of any images.)

We've lost a lot of old and good threads; some were set aside by special request when the site was recently updated, but I've tried to access some old threads without success. I'd hate to have more lost. Because I really do go back and read old threads.

I had this happen but with someone else's post; the image was of a topless woman and it seemed to be adult themed spam. 

• Like 1

This thread: Mom in High Heels favorite pictures of Johnny Depp and several of us changing our avatars to pix of him to celebrate his birthday. That was a steamy thread. I think it is deleted.

I found one photo I had copied/pasted from a university website of a moth. I deleted it.

My background photo and my avatar are my photos.

I went through more than 38 pages of my posts which was fun, and then also looked this morning at my attachments, that was empty.

If you think it is too hard for you to go through your own posts then maybe you won't mind if yours are deleted.

• Like 2

I went through my old posts, checked my attachments, and changed my avatar to a photo I took myself. 

• Like 1

Name your price.

I stopped thinking after I had typed DT's name. As per usua.....

Like Priceline?  Or would they be auctioning off coveted positions and highest bid wins?

If your new icon is too large (greater than 50k), try picture resizing here; you can set the max image size. Choose a small pixel size as well, such as 120 pixels across. If you keep a large-sized image and make the file size small, it will look pixelated.

I don't see a problem in reporting that. It's sad, but necessary. Not exactly equivalent to someone reporting a poster because they don't return their shopping cart. ;)

Okay; I've been reporting members with avatars that are clearly, obviously licensed characters from people and corporations that are serious about copyright infringement (Disney, Marvel, Pixar, etc.). Someone can PayPal me my thirty pieces of silver.

• Like 19

I started backwards from 2010, but those posts can't be edited or reported. ?  I noticed a Doctor Who Avatar, and a Peanuts comics one. OntheBrink is Peanuts. I've lost the Doctor Who. When I get home from work, I'll check the links re public domain.

Just finished my stroll down memory lane.  No pics for me, but I sure did think of some old threads that I'm going to miss. :)

Of all the things I thought could blow up here in our little world, kilts and cupcakes never came to mind. :)

So sorry for the mess, SWB.

• Like 2

Okay; I've been reporting members with avatars that are clearly, obviously licensed characters from people and corporations that are serious about copyright infringement (Disney, Marvel, Pixar, etc.). Someone can PayPal me my thirty pieces of silver.

Sorry, I'm clean out of silver :( I'll send you thirty virtual cupcakes instead.

• Like 3

I had about to try to switch  my avatar pic to a certain Pixar redhead (we have the same hair, according to my kids).  Good thing I forgot how to do it, lol.

I had about to try to switch my avatar pic to a certain Pixar redhead (we have the same hair, according to my kids). Good thing I forgot how to do it, lol.

You should have your kids draw a picture of her, then use that. :)

• Like 2